Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Alaois posted:

Caleb is legit but who else is there, do you think Spencer Rattler will somehow play himself back into the 1st round

I kinda hope so, it would be funny

Drake Maye seems plausible.

The best trait about Maye is that he that greasy teenager look ala Herbert :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

He has like 300 yards over 12 weeks chill out

I'm chill as hell but since you for some reason mentioned 12 weeks I'm now bound by duty to say that this a disingenuous stat. 75% of his yards and 100% of his touchdowns have happened in the last three weeks.

This, as the professional statistician Dr. Trends experts say, is the light coming on.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I hope caleb goes to the NFC

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Alaois posted:

Caleb is legit but who else is there, do you think Spencer Rattler will somehow play himself back into the 1st round

I kinda hope so, it would be funny

Drake May baby

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

epic bacon posted:

man i thought this QB draft class was supposed to be one of the best ever, what happened

It is better than last year’s! We just need to start accepting that Lawrence and Luck years are in fact once in a decade.

I’m working on my annual write ups. If I’m tiering them early:

- Stroud/Young
- Levis
Drop
- Richardson
Drop
- Hooker/Daniels
- McKee
- Jefferson

First 3 are gonna be some interesting plays on prototypes—no one’s perfect. Everything else is a deeply weird lottery ticket or some intensely cope old dudes.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

TheGreyGhost posted:

It is better than last year’s! We just need to start accepting that Lawrence and Luck years are in fact once in a decade.

I’m working on my annual write ups. If I’m tiering them early:

- Stroud/Young
- Levis
Drop
- Richardson
Drop
- Hooker/Daniels
- McKee
- Jefferson

First 3 are gonna be some interesting plays on prototypes—no one’s perfect. Everything else is a deeply weird lottery ticket or some intensely cope old dudes.

Ornery and Hornery nfl draft expert status: CONFIRMED because TheGreyGhost has the same QB rankings :smug:

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Thank you for the new draft thread, also, I keep seeing some people have Cam Ward from Wazzu in the same QB tier as Richardson and Hooker, someone tell me why he sucks and is bad

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Ironic Twist posted:

Thank you for the new draft thread, also, I keep seeing some people have Cam Ward from Wazzu in the same QB tier as Richardson and Hooker, someone tell me why he sucks and is bad

I have barely watched his tape so far relative to the guys on the list—don’t mistake anything for definitive yet, but my first impression is that he runs about as Mickey Mouse of an offense as Hooker but has way more natural talent in his arm while having way worse feet because he just kinda swashbuckles around.

He’s probably gonna exist somewhere in those tiers but this is a great class if you have a QB coach with a god complex who believes he can make the next Josh Allen or Mahomes. Or if you want a guy who is 26 and probably thinking about mortgage rates and sensible lawn care more than the average rookie should.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Dear Detroit Lions,

Draft this man, you FUCKS.

Draft him and then double draft him and triple draft him. Put him on a line with Hutchinson and Friends and reap the whirlwind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FWRxStVc18

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

TheGreyGhost posted:

I have barely watched his tape so far relative to the guys on the list—don’t mistake anything for definitive yet, but my first impression is that he runs about as Mickey Mouse of an offense as Hooker but has way more natural talent in his arm while having way worse feet because he just kinda swashbuckles around.

He’s probably gonna exist somewhere in those tiers but this is a great class if you have a QB coach with a god complex who believes he can make the next Josh Allen or Mahomes. Or if you want a guy who is 26 and probably thinking about mortgage rates and sensible lawn care more than the average rookie should.

thanks, all these mid-tier toolsy guys still fool me into thinking it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world if Detroit wanted to draft Anderson or Carter with their first pick and then gently caress around and find out (they absolutely should not do this)

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Gonz posted:

Dear Detroit Lions,

Draft this man, you FUCKS.

Draft him and then double draft him and triple draft him. Put him on a line with Hutchinson and Friends and reap the whirlwind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FWRxStVc18

The Panthers drafting this guy would be the stupidest decision I've ever supported.

EDIT: actually, no, this wouldn't even be that stupid.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Obviously the first QB off the board should be Tim DeMorat from Fordham

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

who is the best player available at draft choice #24

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

kiimo posted:

I'm chill as hell but since you for some reason mentioned 12 weeks I'm now bound by duty to say that this a disingenuous stat. 75% of his yards and 100% of his touchdowns have happened in the last three weeks.

This, as the professional statistician Dr. Trends experts say, is the light coming on.

Another week two more touchdowns and that’s 9 touchdowns, 8 in the last 4 weeks

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Colts gonna have a top 10 pick by the end of the night, you love to see it

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Cavauro posted:

who is the best player available at draft choice #24

DE Gary Smark assuming CB Pierre D. Toellette is taken by then.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Anthony Richardson has entered the draft

Good luck with that

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Anthony Richardson has entered the draft

Good luck with that

Oh I didn't notice we had a draft thread up.

Like I said in the CFB thread if everything goes absolutely right and he really did just need good coaching and it works out he's gonna really work out but...

Yeah that is definitely not happening.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I wonder which QB Miami will draft in the 3rd? Gotta get to work on an actual backup

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Amy Pole Her posted:

I wonder which QB Miami will draft in the 3rd? Gotta get to work on an actual backup

max

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Grittybeard posted:

Oh I didn't notice we had a draft thread up.

Like I said in the CFB thread if everything goes absolutely right and he really did just need good coaching and it works out he's gonna really work out but...

Yeah that is definitely not happening.

In the history of the draft it happened exactly one time with Josh Allen therefore it will work this time

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ornery and Hornery posted:

In the history of the draft it happened exactly one time with Josh Allen therefore it will work this time

Florida fans would be ecstatic if Richardson had achieved College Josh Allen QB play.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Amy Pole Her posted:

Why, benched hometown boy Tyler Van Dyke, of course

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I was just thinking today that if you're someone who gives any advice to CJ Stroud or Bryce Young you can't let them play for the Texans.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Wow. That’s pretty shocking.

https://twitter.com/Jordan_Reid/status/1599906438746284033
Changed his mind.

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1608263089006444546

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 29, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

He’s got a chance to work his way into the first round next year if the offense continues to come together.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i would have liked to draft that fellow or someone to replace the td dropper. dropping those big tds on stream. just kidding

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

He'd probably be a second rounder with his performance this year. If he balls out though, he's easily a first round pick.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

If you are the lions and you get a top 3 pick from the rams trade:

You taking one of the top 2 QBs or one of the top 2 stud DL?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think Detroit would be better served building that sldefense into something competent but how often do you get a top 5 pick to chase a QB?

I would take the best qb prospect I could.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ornery and Hornery posted:

If you are the lions and you get a top 3 pick from the rams trade:

You taking one of the top 2 QBs or one of the top 2 stud DL?

If you're genuinely leaning towards DL, you need them to be an absolute worldbeater. That'd be best case scenario.

In reality, if you dont love the QB crop, you hope there's demand for TWO, and you let this pick pay you 3 years of dividends. Get your two future 1sts and a 2nd from some team in the teens .

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I want the Lions to take a QB, I just don’t want them to trade up for one. There are too many good CBs available in the middle of the first round for them to trade that second pick away

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Yep.

If a QB the Lions like falls to that Rams pick then sure, whatever. But I don't want to trade up for one, and certainly not if it means losing our own first rounder.

We have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. I think we need to be seeking at least 3 starting quality defensive players from those 4 picks, whatever the order ends up being.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Bumhead posted:

Yep.

If a QB the Lions like falls to that Rams pick then sure, whatever. But I don't want to trade up for one, and certainly not if it means losing our own first rounder.

We have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. I think we need to be seeking at least 3 starting quality defensive players from those 4 picks, whatever the order ends up being.

I feel like if they're not going to take a QB, they should be looking to trade one of the picks for an extra 1st next year so they've got the ammo to get a guy they like.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
The ESPN guys had a big draft discussion so I'll throw some of that here (https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/...ng-teams-risers):

quote:

Who's your favorite prospect who might not be picked on Day 1?
McShay: Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College. I know Mel called dibs, but that doesn't mean I can't say he's my favorite Day 2 prospect in the class. Flowers never runs out of juice, he's so quick in and out of breaks and he has a great combination of field vision and shiftiness with the ball in his hands.

Reid: Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia. His physical traits are incredible, and the 6-7, 270-pound player has maximized his role as the Bulldogs' No. 2 tight end. He can line up at multiple spots in formations, blocks with physicality and makes tough catches with his reliable hands.

Kiper: Tucker Kraft, TE, South Dakota State. He's big and physical, and he has great hands. An ankle injury limited him this season, but Kraft had 65 catches and six scores in 2021. He might be TE2 behind Mayer.

Miller: Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee. Wright made the move from left tackle to right tackle before this season and has been elite, helping the Tennessee offense take off. He'll be a 10-year starter in the pros.

quote:

What's your favorite prospect-to-pro comp right now?
Miller: Will Levis to Matthew Stafford. Both have great arm talent and standout traits in terms of build, mobility and toughness. But both also make mind-numbing mistakes at times and have a style of play that lends itself to injury.

Kiper: Peter Skoronski to Rashawn Slater. Yes, one Northwestern left tackle for another. Look, their frames are virtually identical (6-4, 315 pounds), and they're both a little smaller than prototypical NFL tackles, which means some scouts think they should play guard. Slater, however, was instantly one of the league's best left tackles as a rookie in 2021, and Skoronski could make a similar impact in 2023. He could be a top-15-pick like Slater.

Reid: Jalen Carter to Quinnen Williams. Both are explosive pass-rushers on the interior but are also strong at the point of attack and make flash plays as run defenders. Carter is an explosive 3-technique who can be an instant-impact prospect and eventually turn into a franchise cornerstone -- just like Williams has with the Jets.

McShay: Bijan Robinson to Saquon Barkley. Both are 6-foot and 220-plus pounds. Both take tremendous care of their bodies. Both excel at forcing missed tackles with an elite combination of shake and power. Both are outstanding pass catchers and very reliable in pass pro. And both bring energy on game day.

quote:

You get to call dibs on a prospect in this class: Who's your guy?
Miller: Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas. Positional value be damned! Robinson will be an All-Pro in the NFL, and he's the type of player who can support an offense, like we've seen Saquon Barkley, Nick Chubb and Jonathan Taylor do over the past few years.

Kiper: Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College. He's lightning-quick and elusive, and he can line up anywhere you want him and make plays. He had 19 career touchdowns when lined up from the slot for the Eagles. I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps rising over the next few months and ends up a first-round pick.

Reid: Tyree Wilson, DE, Texas Tech. I've been on him since the preseason, and I'm sticking with him as he continues to rise up the board. Wilson's combination of length, size, explosiveness and versatility makes him an intriguing prospect and potential difference-maker in the NFL.

McShay: Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame. He probably could have been an NFL starter this year. A 6-4, 265-pound frame. Route-running savviness. Nearly impossible to bring down after the catch. Above-average blocking ability. He might not have elite speed, but he has every other trait you look for in a potential Pro Bowl tight end. Mayer might be the safest prospect in the class.

quote:

Is there an elite defensive back in this class?
Reid: I don't think there's a Sauce Gardner, Derek Stingley Jr. or Kyle Hamilton here. But with that said, this year's group of DBs is deeper from top to bottom. I think we could see as many as six picked in the first round. Penn State's Joey Porter Jr., Oregon's Christian Gonzalez and Georgia's Kelee Ringo lead the way as top-20 prospects and CB1 candidates. Porter continues to improve his technique in man coverage, playing with physicality and ball skills (11 pass breakups).

Cornerbacks Clark Phillips III (Utah), Devon Witherspoon (Illinois) and Emmanuel Forbes (Mississippi State) are worth keeping an eye on toward the back end of the first round, along with safeties Antonio Johnson (Texas A&M) and Brian Branch (Alabama).

quote:

Is it fair to say the wide receiver class is disappointing?
Miller: I wouldn't say disappointing, but yeah, it's not on par with what we've seen over the past few years. There is no Drake London, Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave or Jameson Williams, but this receiver group is still pretty deep and offers a good mixture of size, speed, experience and upside. Players like Jordan Addison (USC), Jaxon Smith-Njigba (Ohio State) and Quentin Johnston (TCU) are legit first-rounders and would be in most classes. Despite catching only five passes while dealing with a hamstring injury this season, Smith-Njigba became the first of the trio to declare for the draft.

Who is the best of this receiver bunch?
McShay: Addison edges Johnston and Smith-Njigba for the top spot heading into bowl season. He lacks ideal size (6-foot, 175 pounds) for a WR1, but he is a refined route runner with excellent ball skills and body control. He tracks the deep ball so well, and he's a sharp-cutter after the catch. There are questions about his true speed, though, and teams will be paying close attention to his 40-yard dash time. Even so, Addison is my WR1 right now and No. 14 overall on my board.

quote:

Who are the sleeper pass-rushers to keep a close eye on?

Kiper: You want sleepers, I have sleepers. Thomas Incoom (Central Michigan) had an incredibly productive season, with 11.5 sacks and 19 total tackles for loss, and Jose Ramirez (Eastern Michigan) put up 12 sacks. Both have the tools NFL teams look for in pass-rushers late on Day 2 or early on Day 3. But I also want to mention Viliami Fehoko (San Jose State), who had 23 sacks over the past three seasons, including 10 in 2022. He has the versatility to play inside or on the edge, which ups his value in the NFL.

quote:

Sounds like we'll see a lot of QBs. Is it the deepest position in this class?
McShay: I actually think its edge rusher. Alabama's Will Anderson Jr. is my No. 1 overall prospect and headlines a strong group of early-rounders. In all, I have 12 edge rushers in my top 50, and 20 have a 70-plus grade at the moment. Here's a few to know:

3-4 outside linebacker: Anderson, Nolan Smith (Georgia), BJ Ojulari (LSU), Andre Carter II (Army), Zion Tupuola-Fetui (Washington)

4-3 defensive end: Tyree Wilson (Texas Tech), Lukas Van Ness (Iowa), Jared Verse (Florida State), Isaiah Foskey (Notre Dame), Zach Harrison (Ohio State), Derick Hall (Auburn)

Versatile defensive end who can reduce inside on obvious passing downs: Myles Murphy (Clemson), Mike Morris (Michigan), Byron Young (Tennessee), Tuli Tuipulotu (USC)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bumhead posted:

Yep.

I think you will find that NOTHING matters until you get the guy at QB.

You need to do whatever it takes until that happens. I don't care how bad your defense is.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I've added a leaving early tracker to the OP: https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-draft-underclassmen-tracker-who-intends-to-enter?campaign=Twitter_atn

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Question 1: Will Anthony Richardson QB be available at Detroits second first round pick?

Question 2: What position does Philly target with their second first round pick?

Question 3: Does KC draft a new LT?

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Are there likely to be any QBs taken in the top 5 this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

kiimo posted:

I think you will find that NOTHING matters until you get the guy at QB.

You need to do whatever it takes until that happens. I don't care how bad your defense is.

And what if “the guy” isn’t here?

Young is going to the Texans at 1. After that, eh. Must stress I’m not a college guy or draft head but nobody seems to be falling over themselves for the rest of this QB class.

I suppose you can go around in circles like this and end up never getting your guy. Ultimately I trust this front office and that Rams pick is looking valuable. If they like a QB enough to use it to go get him, then I’m on board with it. I just also see the value in having 4 picks across the first 2 rounds for a roster that still has holes in it across the board.