Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Say what you want about "March Madness is the best post-season tournament" or "Double elimination ruins things" or blah blah blah. Give me the NCAA Baseball Tournament any day.

Let's recap 2022: The Tennessee Volunteers, like the Arkansas Razorbacks the year before them, were more or less the consensus #1 team for the baseball for the majority of the season. Once we got to the end of March it was just a matter of when, not if, Tennessee would beat you. And, much like the Arkansas Razorbacks the year before them, they went on to Omaha and.... wait... ok, I have just been handed a note... oh, excuse me: they did not make it to Omaha (also like the Arkansas Razorbacks the year before). The Curse of the #1 Overall Seed continues, as it has been since 2018, the last time a #1 (Florida) made it to Omaha. And that's honestly the small #1 curse. The bigger curse: The last time the overall #1 seed won the NCAA Baseball Tournament was 1999's Miami Hurricanes, the first year of the current 64 team format. You would much rather be the overall #2 or #3, which both have three championships in that same time frame, or even the #5 (two championships)

But do you remember who did win the national championship? The last team in the field, the Ole Miss Rebels. I did not think they deserved to be in the field as there were a couple of prominent snubs, NC State being perhaps the biggest. But... well... they made the most of their opportunity and won the whole dang thing. Mike Bianco went from "His seat is probably going to get hot in 2023" to "He probably cant ever be fired" in an amazing run through the tournament. They didn't lose a single game in their regional or super regional, which included a 22-6 win over Arizona and sweeping Southern Miss 10-0 and 5-0 in the supers. They played three games against Arkansas in Omaha, the first a blowout, the second a ridiculous collapse, and the third one of the best pitching duels I've ever seen in college baseball. Facing Oklahoma in the final, they took care of business 10-3 and 4-2, completing the dream season.

So, with that! Lets look ahead to the 2023 season. As a reminder, baseball doesn't have two major polls like football or basketball do. Rather, there's six kind of major ones: Baseball America, D1Baseball, Perfect Game, NCBWA, the USA Today Coaches Poll, and Collegiate Baseball. Collegiate Baseball got kind of.... wonky toward the end of last year, so lets see how they hold up this year. Mostly because they're one of the only ones that has a preaseason poll up.

code:
Rank	Team (2022 Final Record)	Points
  1.	Louisiana St. (40-22)		498
  2.	Florida (42-24)			495
  3.	Stanford (47-18)		491
  4.	Texas A&M (44-20)		489
  5.	Tennessee (57-9)		485
  6.	Louisville (42-21-1)		482
  7.	Arkansas (46-21)		479
  8.	Miami, Fla. (40-20)		476
  9.	Vanderbilt (39-23)		475
10.	Wake Forest (41-19-1)		472
11.	North Carolina (44-22)		470
12.	Oklahoma St. (42-22)		467
13.	UCLA (40-24)			465
14.	U.C. Santa Barbara (44-14)	463
15.	Texas Christian (38-22)		460
16.	Virginia (39-19)		457
17.	Texas Tech. (39-22)		454
18.	Southern Miss. (47-19)		452
19.	Oregon (36-25)			450
20.	East Carolina (46-21)		449
21.	Maryland (48-14)		447
22.	Mississippi St. (26-30)		444
23.	Georgia Tech. (36-24)		440
24.	Mississippi (42-23)		438
25.	Texas (47-22)			435
Defending champions Ole Miss clock in at the end in 24th and the champions before them, Mississippi State, land at 22. Tennessee, last season's big bully, is in 5th. I believe they return their entire starting pitching rotation which is, quite frankly, terrifying. LSU looks downlike scary with Tommy White (NC State) and Paul Skenes (Air Force) transferring in to go with Dylan Crews, who might go first in the draft. Gonna be an explosive year again in the sport I think.

I haven't looked at a lot of schedules yet but as an Arkansas fan I can tell you one thing: Mark your calendars for the weekend of Friday April 14 - Sunday April 16. The Tennessee Volunteers come to Fayetteville that weekend and I have to imagine it will be appointment viewing for fans of college baseball. The SEC sent out a schedule without this series on it and had to tell all the schools "Whoops, wrong schedule, our bad" and put out a revised schedule shortly after, I think in part to make sure this series happened. It should be a good one.

Stolen from a previous OP by elentar:
The only really important resource is the scoreboard at D1Baseball, which is the most reliable one around. Oh and there's a lot of random games that pop up on the various ESPN and Fox regional feeds, though fewer than there used to be.

Popete posted:

If anyone is looking to get into following college baseball I highly recommend checking out Wheels Youtube Channel they do a great job editing games down to 10-15 minutes and they tend to feature exciting games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Really looking forward to baseball being back up here, gonna take in what games I can and might finally get to take my kid to her first game.

Also I will try not to harp on this or even bring it up again but a Tommy White-fueled NC State getting hosed out of that NCAA berth the year after God and the NCAA hosed them out of the best chance they'll probably ever have at a national championship is pretty much just State athletics in a nutshell.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

elentar posted:

Really looking forward to baseball being back up here, gonna take in what games I can and might finally get to take my kid to her first game.

Also I will try not to harp on this or even bring it up again but a Tommy White-fueled NC State getting hosed out of that NCAA berth the year after God and the NCAA hosed them out of the best chance they'll probably ever have at a national championship is pretty much just State athletics in a nutshell.

I don't blame you, I still talk about That Fly Ball from 2018 or Kopps giving up that home run and probably will until the day I die.

We can be cursed programs together :hfive:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Been too busy to keep up w roster turnover in Gainesville but hoping to catch a game of the Georgia series while I’m down there.

GO GATA

elentar posted:

I’m still sad for you guys that White disappeared on y’all. Just a run of disappointment.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
One more week fellas

SEC implemented the 10 run mercy rule after 7 innings for this year, not sure if it was just announced or if I’m just hearing about it.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Joey Freshwater posted:

One more week fellas

SEC implemented the 10 run mercy rule after 7 innings for this year, not sure if it was just announced or if I’m just hearing about it.

New to me too, think it was announced today

Kinda hate it with the exception of it being a travel day tbh but probably me being old man yelling at clouds

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone went back and looked and in 90 years of LSU baseball it would have only affected one game, which is crazy.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Someone went back and looked and in 90 years of LSU baseball it would have only affected one game, which is crazy.

I watched LSU in the 90s, that cannot possibly be true….can it?

I hate the rule because a) baseball is a 9 inning game and b) I’ve seen plenty of long-shot comebacks over the years. Seems lame.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was some dude on Reddit so take it for what that’s worth

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

https://twitter.com/kendallrogers/status/1623748178141929476?s=46&t=Ycmx199xnBuO5pkcslRclA

Eff me. That’s two years in a row we have lost a starting pitcher just before the season starts to UCL and TJ.

I was worried about this when “arm soreness” was said last week but… dang

Edit: and not only a starter, two years in a row of losing our Friday guy.

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 9, 2023

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Well, misery loves company I guess, sorry LSU

https://twitter.com/kendallrogers/status/1625265171345055745?s=46&t=dwpEPDTP3qGe5MkW0XzXQA

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Welcome to opening day :toot:

All of the Top 25 (from D1 baseball) are in action today, and there is a Top 15 matchup, #10 Vandy @ #15 TCU in Arlington at the College Baseball Showdown.

LSU has a home series against a small school and Stanford is the biggest team to start the season with a true road game.

Top 5:
Western Michigan @ #1 LSU
#2 Tennessee @ Arizona , MLB Desert Invitational
#3 Stanford @ Cal State Fullerton
Delaware @ #4 Ole Miss
Seattle @ #5 Texas A&M

For anyone deciding to pay for Flo Sports for the month, Mizzou vs #9 OK State is on right now.

Play ball!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
having a nice spring-like afternoon watching Virginia blow the doors off Navy

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

having a nice spring-like afternoon watching Virginia blow the doors off Navy

It’s cold as poo poo here but still loving some baseball

I don’t have mlb network so hoping the streaming option on mlb.com is free for the Tennessee games

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s dumb as hell that Maui Ahuna isn’t eligible yet. First transfer, came over in June of ‘22 and has already competed a semester of school.

NCAA is worthless

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

https://twitter.com/lvann_sports/status/1626732565267722240?s=46&t=ULJUoUTYzEn_CoGNNudPjg

LSU is snakebit to start the season. Like, seems like it’ll be ok, but had to leave the game early and could be worse than they think. Hope it ends up being very minor like they think.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s dumb as hell that Maui Ahuna isn’t eligible yet. First transfer, came over in June of ‘22 and has already competed a semester of school.

NCAA is worthless

Yeah, like, I jokingly would say “well that helps Arkansas!!!” But it’s awful for the kid and also very stupid that this is still a thing in the transfer portal. Like if he has been at school for an entire semester how is there still a question about his eligibility.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Alright I’m about to go to bed for the night, upsets of the day (it’s literally day one so it’s kinda meaningless but also upsets are fun)

#2 Tennessee 1, Arizona 3
#10 Vandy 4, #15 TCU 11 hardly an upset since two ranked teams but this was a really fun game
Seton Hall 10, #12 UNC 8
#14 VaTech 2, Charleston 5
#13 Maryland 7, South Florida 8
Penn State 9, #22 Miami 5

Butt kicking of the day goes to #19 Virginia, beat Navy 24 to 5, looks like it was called after 7 innings

Indiana State 2, Iowa 6 (11) and Central Michigan 5, Baylor 6 (10) gave the world some bonus baseball to counteract the short game.

Fun first day, I’m happy baseball is back. Woo Pig

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Game was tough, ump was all over the place but they couldn’t really get the bats going anyway. I thought it was gonna be tough to replace all we lost, and two of those replacements didn’t get to play today. I’m not worried because as been mentioned it’s game one.

I’m honestly surprised Arizona wasn’t ranked, they’ve got a good squad.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

UF mercy-ruled CSU. Good start.

Good on CofC for knocking off VT w a grand slam.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

https://twitter.com/sickoscommittee/status/1627082160418197506?s=46&t=Tkjg9V-BwyqVBjT8I60jiA

https://twitter.com/11point7/status/1627087955407024134?s=46&t=Tkjg9V-BwyqVBjT8I60jiA

College baseball is the best sport, y’all. Just wild what can happen on any day.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

chaoslord posted:

https://twitter.com/11point7/status/1627087955407024134?s=46&t=Tkjg9V-BwyqVBjT8I60jiA

College baseball is the best sport, y’all. Just wild what can happen on any day.

This is why I have a problem with the mercy rule.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well this isn’t an ideal start

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah, it's absolutely bullshit.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Friday I missed that #3 Stanford lost 8-1 to Fullerton on the road.

Saturday upsets (again fairly meaningless this early, I am just posting to post)
# 9 Oklahoma State 9, #10 Vandy 11
#2 Tennessee 3, Grand Canyon 4
# 8 Arkansas 6, #15 TCU 18

Saturday was a lot quieter, day two some teams figured it out. I am ready to super overreact to opening weekend though and proclaim TCU to be the #1 Team In The Country. They beat two SEC teams badly, how can anyone top that????

Games to watch today:
Tournament type games
UC San Diego vs #2 Tennessee
#8 Arkansas vs #9 Oklahoma State
Missouri vs #15 TCU

Series split 1-1
#13 Maryland @ South Florida
#14 Virginia Tech @ Charleston
Penn State @ #22 Miami
#3 Stanford @ Fullerton

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

The real way to know college baseball is back: replies to d1 baseballs top 25 with people getting mad about changes after one week.

https://twitter.com/kendallrogers/status/1627672572941815809?s=46&t=9XGXB1p_RKSPxT3CwNZqDg

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Glad we could help lend credence to this sentiment lol.

Despite blowing that wild lead, we looked fairly competent in games 1 and 3. Pitching will still be our biggest weakness this year, but it at least looks better than last year.

We got some dudes that can RAKE this year too. Kellum Clark hit a 451’ homer yesterday

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

https://twitter.com/hailstatebb/status/1627403876910641152?s=46&t=9XGXB1p_RKSPxT3CwNZqDg

For those that didn’t see the Clark HR

I know people love the crack of the bat, lord knows I do too, but what I also love is when an outfield just turns and watches and doesn’t even make a step to try to get the ball. Just “ah, eff”. Helpless feeling lol

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

chaoslord posted:

https://twitter.com/hailstatebb/status/1627403876910641152?s=46&t=9XGXB1p_RKSPxT3CwNZqDg

For those that didn’t see the Clark HR

I know people love the crack of the bat, lord knows I do too, but what I also love is when an outfield just turns and watches and doesn’t even make a step to try to get the ball. Just “ah, eff”. Helpless feeling lol

It's a thing of beauty. He smoked some last year too but nothing like that to my recollection.

Also as mentioned in the OP, Wheels rules and is doling out hours of free entertainment for college baseball fans. Currently running through this condensed version of the Texas tournament that had some fantastic games in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfDr0X-AvDo

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chaoslord posted:

The real way to know college baseball is back: replies to d1 baseballs top 25 with people getting mad about changes after one week.

https://twitter.com/kendallrogers/status/1627672572941815809?s=46&t=9XGXB1p_RKSPxT3CwNZqDg

lol people big mad about Tennessee not falling very far. We fell in other rankings but he only dropped us one spot. He's giving us a lot of credit for having 2 (maybe 3) starters out.

Rankings this early are complete guesswork but I do love seeing people get worked up over them. Reddit was melting down when this came out. They HATE Tennessee over there lol

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/bigdonkey47/status/1627828397672996869?s=46&t=Eo0gUMhF_W3r57M8pBhn_g

Look at this absolute disrespect for the game how dare he

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I don’t even see anything that would qualify, but I guess it makes sense if you internalize Umpire = Cop.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

I don’t even see anything that would qualify, but I guess it makes sense if you internalize Umpire = Cop.

Replies say it was for the bat flip but that was the most half rear end bat flip ever.

So yeah just a soft ump

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Joey Freshwater posted:

lol people big mad about Tennessee not falling very far. We fell in other rankings but he only dropped us one spot. He's giving us a lot of credit for having 2 (maybe 3) starters out.

Rankings this early are complete guesswork but I do love seeing people get worked up over them. Reddit was melting down when this came out. They HATE Tennessee over there lol

Would I personally have dropped Tennessee a couple of more spots? Yeah, maybe a few more. But like you say, missing players, three games on the road, losses against borderline Top 25 teams… they shouldn’t be like #22 or unranked. And in the bigger picture, what’s the rush? The season has another 50 games to go, if Tenn shouldn’t be up there it’ll get made apparent, baseball doesn’t need to just move everyone 10 spots every week. Think it’s mostly football and basketball fans coming over and baseball is just a different beast. You don’t overreact to week one, you don’t overreact to Tuesday/Wednesday games, just let the season come to you.

All that said, I am about to massively overreact to a Tuesday game, so I hope I remember my own thoughts in two hours

https://twitter.com/choatemason/status/1628155387135561729?s=46&t=LR9cus6BEpiUqN5FjIFhdQ

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Hey at least y'all have it tied up now. We're down 7-0 to ULM. In the process of pumping the brakes as we speak

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Hey at least y'all have it tied up now. We're down 7-0 to ULM. In the process of pumping the brakes as we speak

Yeah, we survived ours so a little easier to keep the calm demeanor up

A third pitcher in the SEC West is likely done. Smart money seems to be on this being Hunter Elliot from Ole Miss

https://twitter.com/kendallrogers/status/1628177412637749250?s=46&t=k2jlBgsjh0KcZS9HreFiyQ

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Alright well, we may not even make the tournament this year but by god we're gonna hit nukes

https://twitter.com/HailStateBB/status/1628536173089132544?s=20

474'

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Alright well, we may not even make the tournament this year but by god we're gonna hit nukes

https://twitter.com/HailStateBB/status/1628536173089132544?s=20

474'

Y'all's radio guy sounds quite a lot like a guy who does a lot of radio for A&M and it weirded me out at first

that's a fuckin bomb tho

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tennessee mercy ruled Alabama A&M for the second night in a row and scored 15 runs in the 5th inning, a program record

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Midweek baseball comes for everyone eventually, it's just a matter of "when", not "if". Six of the top 25 dropped some on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Cal 8, #2 Stanford 4 (this shouldnt count as midweek baseball what is the pac12 doing)
Lamar 7, #5 Texas A&M 4
South Florida 10, #7 Florida 9 (Florida was up 9-3 going into the 9th)
Central Arkansas 5, #10 Vanderbilt 4
#11 East Carolina 5, Campbell 6
West Virginia 8, #13 Maryland 6