Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for January, 2023?
This poll is closed.
:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) 7 11.67%
:thurman: Bianca Belair (Raw Women's Champion) 0 0%
:troll: Charlotte Flair (Smackdown Women's Champion) 1 1.67%
:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (ROH World Champion) 2 3.33%
:baby: El Lindaman (FORMER G-REX Champion) 0 0%
:krad: Kaito Ishida (G-REX Champion) 0 0%
Jordynne Grace (FORMER Impact Knockouts Champion) 0 0%
:abuela: Mickie James (Impact Knockouts Champion) 3 5.00%
:pilot:Josh Alexander (Impact World Champion) 0 0%
:thatsrad: Kazusada Higuchi (FORMER KO-D Openweight Champion) 4 6.67%
:btroll: Yuji Hino (KO-D Openweight Champion) 3 5.00%
:pirate: KAIRI (IWGP Women's Champion) 0 0%
:kiddo: Kaito Kiyomiya (GHC Champion) 7 11.67%
Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Champion) 0 0%
:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Champion) 4 6.67%
:joel: Switchblade Jay White (FORMER IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) 1 1.67%
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) 16 26.67%
Yuka Sakazaki (Princess of Princess Champion) 10 16.67%
:kingsley: Yuki Yoshioka (FORMER Open the Dream Gate Champion) 0 0%
Shun Skywalker (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 2 3.33%
:polls: None of the Above 0 0%
Total: 60 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

2022 has passed, the records established, and pro-wrestling continues to be better than it ever has been. AEW's enormous dominance of Punch Sport Pagoda's polls continued, in 2022 9 of the 12 months of the year went to AEW Champions (Hangman Page, Thunder Rosa, Jon Moxley, Jamie Hayter) with New Japan holding two (Kazuchika Okada and Switchblade Jay White) with the last going to ROH Champion Chris Jericho... who is an AEW wrestler who had the majority of his ROH matches on AEW television! Hell, both the New Japan Champs of the Month appeared on AEW in 2022 as well, and of course the 2022 Champion of the Year went to who seemed the inevitable choice in AEW Champion Jon Moxley. Technically speaking, Jon Moxley's Champ of the Month victories were also for his role as GCW Champion, which means his Champ of the Year victory is partly shared with GCW too. The story, of course, is that AEW dominated. Yes, for a year in which there was some (lunatic) talk at points that AEW was starting to decline, it sure seemed like the promotion is doing pretty drat well!

But that was last year, and now it is 2022 and it's time to start all over again!

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Baliyan Akki (Gatoh Move), Giulia (STARDOM), Jamie Hayter (AEW Women's), MJF (AEW), and Nick Gage (GCW) did not defend their titles this month and are temporarily removed from the poll. Due to a near total lack of interest/votes across the length of 2022, Ice Ribbon & SEAdLINNNG has been removed from the poll but may return if demand/circumstances warrant it. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) - Shifting away from her title defenses/bullying on AEW Dark and Dark Elevation where she beat the likes of Marina Shafir, Athena took the title to Prestige's Vendetta show in Pomona, California where she defeated TJPW's unbelievably cool badass Miyu Yamashita. The match, outside of some grumbling about the ending, was raved about and was hopefully a sign of what is to come from Athena's title reign.

:thurman: Bianca Belair (Raw Women's Champion) - After Biana defeated Alexa Bliss by an unsatisfying DQ at the start of the month, it wasn't enough for her or Alexa. The latter apparently was back doing her spooky stuff that was so bad it basically destroyed her career so now they're doing it again, and I guess it paid off because she... wait, says she that she lost in 7 minutes to Bianca at the Royal Rumble? Okay!

:troll: Charlotte Flair (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Charlotte Flair defeated Sonya Deville at the start of January. She didn't defend the title again outside of some house show matches against Deville and Baszler, then didn't appear on the Royal Rumble.

:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (ROH World Champion) - Claudio's first title defense came against former ROH Pure Champion Josh Woods. That was a fine match, but what felt far more special was his defense against Christopher Daniels at the Jay Briscoe Tribute and Celebration of Life, to main event the AEW show put together in remembrance/tribute of the recently passed former ROH Champion, Jay Briscoe. He'd go on to beat Blake Christian on the 100th episode of Dark Elevation to wrap up the month.

:baby: El Lindaman (FORMER G-REX Champion) - The baby has fallen! After defeating Kaito Ishida to end 2022, El Lindaman faced him again a week later to kick off 2023... and lost!

:krad: Kaito Ishida (G-REX Champion) - He may be "Just a Kick Boy" but apparently that was enough to stop a muscle baby, as Ishida's second shot at El Lindaman's G-REX title saw him come out victorious.

Jordynne Grace (FORMER Impact Knockouts Champion) - After over a month off from her usual high regularity of title defenses, Grace returned to a match with big stakes at Hard to Kill, where she wrestled veteran Mickie James with her title up against Mickie James' career.

:abuela: Mickie James (Impact Knockouts Champion) - She went into Hard to Kill with her career on the line... and walked out with her career still going, and a title around her waist. She may be at the tail end of her career, but it's not over yet!

:pilot:Josh Alexander (Impact World Champion) - If Jordynne Grace had big stakes in her match, Alexander had arguably bigger ones. He was facing Bully Ray at Hard to Kill, and of course if Bully Ray had won then everybody in the audience and watching at home would have simply stood up and quietly walked outside and repeated the opening scenes from The Happening. Luckily, sanity prevailed, and Josh Alexander remains the champion.

:thatsrad: Kazusada Higuchi (FORMER KO-D Openweight Champion) - After battering his way through a series of excellent defenses to bring real credibility to his title reign, Higuchi finally met his match in an insane chop war at DDT Sweet Dreams, where over 200 chops were thrown, his chest looked like raw hamburger, and he simply couldn't defeat the walking continent he was wrestling.

:btroll: Yuji Hino (KO-D Openweight Champion) - This but in Japanese.

:pirate: KAIRI (IWGP Women's Champion) - After all the hype and the entire purpose of the belt's creation, it was a bit of a letdown when KAIRI's first historic title defense of the IWGP Women's Championship at the Tokyo Dome for New Japan's Wrestle Kingdom show was an intense but extremely short match against Tam Nakano. This was followed up by the arrival of Mercedes Mone (the former Sasha Banks) to attack KAIRI and challenge her at the upcoming Battle in the Valley show in San Jose.

:kiddo: Kaito Kiyomiya (GHC Champion) - He defeated the man who he beat for the title in a rematch to start the year, beating Kenoh to keep the title. But it was a non-title, seemingly inconsequential Six-Man Tag at The Great Muta Final "Bye-Bye"Wrestle Kingdom Night 2 show that REALLY got the world's attention on him in January. Facing off opposite New Japan's golden boy Kazuchika Okada, Kiyomiya took exception to Okada's indifferent attitude to him and kicked him directly in the face, leading to a wild (kayfabe, brother!) ringside brawl and a challenge to a singles match that has now been scheduled (and denied by Okada!) for Keiji Mutoh's final, final, final final no for real final show.

Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Champion) - Miyahara kicked off 2023 with another near-30 minute defense against Takuya Nomura on Night 2 of the New Year Giant Series. The kicker here of course is that Miyahara and Nomura are (were) tag champions together, having won the titles on Night 1 from Voodoo Murders. By the end of the month, their tag reign was over, but Miyahara remains the Triple Crown Champion.

:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Champion) - The title match itself almost seemed an afterthought. Roman Reigns defeated Kevin Owens at the Royal Rumble to retain his championship (technically 2, but the Universal Title basically doesn't exist anymore... until it does!). But the BIG story, as it has been for at least the last couple of months, was Sami Zayn and his position within (and now outside of) The Bloodline. It's been the biggest angle in WWE for years, lauded by all watching, and with Sami now on the outs with Roman, it risks even overshadowing Roman's upcoming Wrestlemania title defense against Royal Rumble winner Cody Rhodes.

:joel: Switchblade Jay White (FORMER IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) - It turns out it ISN'T his new era just yet after all! After months of mocking the clap-only crowds, taunting Okada, reminding everybody that he was the future that saw Gedo betray his perfect son (gently caress you Gedo, it still hurts!)... and then at Wrestle Kingdom after an incredible match, White's Bladerunner finisher FINALLY failed to put down Okada, who survived, fought back, and won back the title he'd lost at Dominion.

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) - The Wrestling God is back on his throne! The long painful stretch of the pandemic era that saw Okada finally expose a weakness that would not be relevant 999 times out of a thousand has closed! Cheering is allowed again, the crowds can react, Okada can gain energy from their worship, and it has resulted in him once again delivering the highest quality wrestling it is possible to get. FINALLY putting down his detested rival, only his second singles victory over Switchblade since 2019 and his first ever victory over him in Japan, Okada returned to the top of New Japan. He's insistent that he get a chance to claw back from the 4-2 career deficit he has against Switchblade, though he may have more pressing issues on hand with the booking he is contesting to face off with NOAH Champion Kaito Kiyomiya. But that's life at the top, there's always 1000 things you have to face off against... and nobody does it better than Okada.

Yuka Sakazaki (Princess of Princess Champion) - Yuka got off her 2023 the best way possible, by being able to brag about a singles victory over Miyu Yamashita! Defeating the world-class, coolest-on-the-planet Yamashita, Yuka has something in common with the woman she is currently feuding with over in America, as she and ROH Women's Champion Athena have begun to class in AEW, which is going to lead to one hell of a match.

:kingsley: Yuki Yoshioka (FORMER Open the Dream Gate Champion) - Sixth time was not the charm, after defeating a who's who of Dragongate's top wrestlers, Yoshioka finally met his match... against a wrestler who has been wrestling as long as him but is even younger!

Shun Skywalker (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - The deranged Skywalker, still clinging to the belief that he is the protagonist of life, added another blockade between him and reality when he defeated Yoshioka to gain the Open the Dream Gate Championship for the second time. Now it remains to be seen the lengths he is willing to go to (and who he is willing to sacrifice) to hold onto his top spot.

:polls: None of the Above - Polls are real and so is the piss tape, but if you just want to see the results or don't feel like any of the champs did it for you in January, then None of the Above is the option for you!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's January, Wrestle Kingdom has been, it's time for me to vote for Kazuchika Okada :hmmyes:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Higuchi time!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
preparing my 'don't blame me i voted for Yuka' bumper sticker,

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

fez_machine posted:

Higuchi time!

Legit would have voted for him if it hadn't been for Okada's incredible Wrestle Kingdom match. I hope it isn't his last time as KO-D Champion.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Yuka... or Okada? Yuka... or Okada? Somebody help me out here.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yuji Hino is the new leader of CyberFight. Everyone else needs to get in line.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kvantum posted:

Yuka... or Okada? Yuka... or Okada? Somebody help me out here.

At the risk of invoking the rage of a Chaos Djinn.... vote Okada!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I love you Okada, but Kiyomiya's match against Kenoh rocked rear end, and I loved the storyline going into it:

Kaito: Aw dang, our match isn't the main event.
Kenoh: GODDAMNIT OUR MATCH ISN'T THE MAIN EVENT AND I'M GOING TO KICK YOUR loving rear end OVER IT. ALSO, gently caress YOU, LIJ IN GENERAL AND NAITO IN PARTICULAR.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Higuchi is my champ and he had a fantastic title reign among less than ideal circumstances, but still.

YUJI

loving

HINO

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
we ddt viewers could be tied with the okadailures if all these filthy Hino voters voted for the one true champ

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

karmicknight posted:

preparing my 'don't blame me i voted for Shun Skywalker' bumper sticker,

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

fez_machine posted:

we ddt viewers could be tied with the okadailures if all these filthy Hino voters voted for the one true champ

Much like Higuchi has been waving the flag for DDT, i've been waving the flag for Yuji Hino since he came back in 2021, now i've got the chance to vote for him i'm going to take it

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Voting for the champ who kicked the new year off by setting the early standard for MOTY, Kaito Kiyomiya

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

fez_machine posted:

You have to forgive them, born under the shadow of the continental landmass that is Yuji Hino, they cannot see the other options to vote for.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Jay White

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I have to take a month off voting for Kento to vote for Kaito, his match with Kenoh was the 2nd best singles match of the month and then he topped it off by kicking Okada in the face real hard

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

It’s Roman Reigns you loving marks!!!

Edit: sorry that was too hostile. I meant “It’s Roman Reigns, you loving marks.”

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Jerusalem posted:

At the risk of invoking the rage of a Chaos Djinn.... vote Okada!

Yeah, I weighed the options, and... I fear the Djinn more. Yuka got my vote.

Plus Okada has won this poll how many friggin' times over the last decade? Let Yuka get hers this month.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Kiyo knocked gently caress out of Okada so I voted Kiyo.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Jerusalem posted:

:kiddo: Kaito Kiyomiya (GHC Champion) - He defeated the man who he beat for the title in a rematch to start the year, beating Kenoh to keep the title. But it was a non-title, seemingly inconsequential Six-Man Tag at The Great Muta Final "Bye-Bye" show that REALLY got the world's attention on him in January. Facing off opposite New Japan's golden boy Kazuchika Okada, Kiyomiya took exception to Okada's indifferent attitude to him and kicked him directly in the face, leading to a wild (kayfabe, brother!) ringside brawl and a challenge to a singles match that has now been scheduled (and denied by Okada!) for Keiji Mutoh's final, final, final final no for real final show.

Actually it was Wrestle Kingdom Night 2. Muta was the next night.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Okada

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Any time Shun is the champion, I'm never not going to vote Shun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lamuella posted:

Actually it was Wrestle Kingdom Night 2. Muta was the next night.

Goddammit. Thank you!

Too many final Mutoh matches!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

SG Bamboo posted:

Higuchi is my champ and he had a fantastic title reign among less than ideal circumstances, but still.

YUJI

loving

HINO

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

gently caress it, Athena's been fun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One day down, 3 to go, and it's extremely close and anything could happen, so make sure you get in your vote!

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Sandman McMahon posted:

It’s Roman Reigns you loving marks!!!

Edit: sorry that was too hostile. I meant “It’s Roman Reigns, you loving marks.”

Unironically agreed. Roman vs KO and the post-match was a hall of fame wrestling segment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2 days down, 2 to go! The race remains very close so please get in your vote, every one counts!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's roughly 90 minutes left to vote (please do!)

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i cant get to a computer to vote please add 1 for yuka sakazaki. thank you friend

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well it was only a small number of people who bothered to vote, but the results for January of 2023 are in and... it's a return to normalcy! After AEW took the honor and broke a streak that had been going on since 2016, in 2023 January belongs once again to New Japan, and the Champion of the Month for a record 26th time (that's over 2 years as Champion of the Month!) is Kazuchika Okada! With 26% of the vote, it was a closer win than most but he still beat his nearest competitor by 6 votes (every. vote. counts.), beating out TJPW's Yuka Sakazaki in 2nd place, and ROH's Athena and NOAH's Kaito Kiyomiya sharing third. Now we start the long process of filling in the blank slots for each month: will Okada (or New Japan) be able to hold the position and reclaim the dominance it once had now that full cheering crowds are allowed back, or is AEW's stranglehold on Punch Sport Pagoda still unshakeable? Can WWE make an almost unfathomable comeback? Will some of the other promotions start gaining further traction? Only time will tell... so long as you vote!

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jerusalem posted:

After AEW took the honor and broke a streak that had been going on since 2016

what streak ?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

graph posted:

what streak ?

2022 excepted, the IWGP title won the January poll each year

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

SG Bamboo posted:

2022 excepted, the IWGP title won the January poll each year

ah gotcha, im dumb

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I vote The Elite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I forgot to update this thread to say vote in February's thread! There's still just over a day to vote, so do so!