Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
The smoke-blocked sun in NYC reminded me of the eclipse today. I hadn't seen the sun as a perfect sphere since Aug 2017. I was even able to look for a second without sunglasses, a couple seconds with glasses (never good to stare, I constantly look away). I actually dug up a pair of my old ellipse glasses but the screens were damaged.

Probably a good idea to order some eclipse glasses now before the frenzy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Is there absolutely any chance at this point (even a year out) of getting a spot at one of the national parks, like Cuyahoga Valley? Or is that probably going to result in experiencing the eclipse stuck in traffic waiting to get into the park?

Does anyone know of any state parks or campgrounds that may be in that general vicinity that wouldn't be too bad?

I’d ideally like to try to do something that isn’t just “drive 10 hours to the parking lot of a motel that’s in bumfuck nowhere but in the totality!” but also maybe the answer is "gently caress it thats what I do"

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 7, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

SgtScruffy posted:

I’d ideally like to try to do something that isn’t just “drive 10 hours to the parking lot of a motel that’s in bumfuck nowhere but in the totality!” but also maybe the answer is "gently caress it thats what I do"

Last time around we were staying with some friends in a cabin about an hour away from the line of totality, and we saw the eclipse from the train tracks next to the main street of a tiny town in South Carolina. Traffic was relatively mild.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

In 2017 I scouted our spot on google maps (cross referenced with BLM land maps, but that part isn't really applicable for this one as there's virtually no BLM land east of the Great Plains).

You might start by checking for National Forest land within the path (green here) there is definitely some in AR/MO/IL:

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 7, 2023

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

bawfuls posted:

In 2017 I scouted our spot on google maps (cross referenced with BLM land maps, but that part isn't really applicable for this one as there's virtually no BLM land east of the Great Plains).

You might start by checking for National Forest land within the path (green here) there is definitely some in AR/MO/IL:

My friend pointed out that maybe instead of Illinois and Ohio, we looked northeast, which is about the same drive, to like Vermont and Upstate New York, which has infinitely more protected land and also isn't Ohio, so I think I answered my own question there

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

SgtScruffy posted:

My friend pointed out that maybe instead of Illinois and Ohio, we looked northeast, which is about the same drive, to like Vermont and Upstate New York, which has infinitely more protected land and also isn't Ohio, so I think I answered my own question there
Perhaps more scenic but also worse weather odds, check the cloud cover map in the OP

Just depends on your priorities and risk tolerance.

Edit: depending on where exactly you target, upstate NY could be similar cloud odds to parts of OH and IL. The other thing to be aware of is further east means eclipse happens later in the day which means lower in the sky, which means you need a larger portion of the sky to be cloud-free to see it

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 8, 2023

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MoonCricket posted:

I am excited for this eclipse and I should have did this research 6 months+ ago. Looking for a camp spot in the Okla/Ark/MO/Ind areas. I am looking for a place to camp with 2 relatively small pull behind campers....Sunday before the eclipse to Tuesday or whatever the minimum will be. We will be coming south from AL and need 1 with full power/water at a minimum and the other power or what is available. Looks like spots are getting tight so hoping we are looking soon enough. We're hoping to find a spot in the path to set up and chill....about 6 of us total, adults/kids. Any suggestions much appreciated

Buffalo Outdoor Center, Buffalo Natl River campgrounds like Steel Creek and Lost Valley, dispersed National Forest camping (no power) in the Ozark-St Francis Natl Forest, all in Arkansas.

It's honestly a huge swath of Arkansas. There's an RV park in Russellville that I lived in for a summer way back, it's right on the lake and really nice. Outdoor Living Center, I think it's called. Just a hop skip and a jump up into the Ozarks from there, but I expect traffic will be pretty bad. I'd avoid the big Ouachita National Forest recreation areas on Lakes Hamilton, Ouachita, and Degray, and Beaver, Norfork, and Greers Ferry in the Ozarks if I was choosy, just because of the mass of humanity they'll concentrate. But they'd probably still be pretty cool if there happened to be spots there.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 14, 2023

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I'm so looking forward to this. I live in northeastern Indiana, the edge of totality actually goes through the southern half of my city. We got like 90% of the 2017 eclipse here. I was working at a store at the time, and was one of the only people with eclipse glasses. It was neat letting my coworkers and customers use them to get a look.

This one is actually on my dads birthday, and we're planning to drive into the boonies. We only have to go about 20 minutes south to be in totality, but we'll have to do some planning to find a good spot.

Absolutely 100% get some eclipse glasses early. If you're lucky and a local store has them, snag them. They'll sell out and be unavailable before you know it. It's 100% worth going to see, like god flipped off the lights.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Man, I live IN the red lines, maybe...50-70 miles from the blue line...but I fear it will be cloudy. It's April in Vermont, so...yeah.

But it seems crazy to travel somewhere else, right? But...clouds...idk, gotta think about it.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I skipped driving from Vancouver BC to Oregon for the 2017 eclipse because I didn't realize how rare it was to be within distance and with the correct weather conditions.

Now I'm planning to go down to Texas for 2024.

Do I just find a camp spot on the side of the road anywhere on the line? How close to the line do I have to be? Just within the dark shaded area?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mantle posted:

I skipped driving from Vancouver BC to Oregon for the 2017 eclipse because I didn't realize how rare it was to be within distance and with the correct weather conditions.

Now I'm planning to go down to Texas for 2024.

Do I just find a camp spot on the side of the road anywhere on the line? How close to the line do I have to be? Just within the dark shaded area?
If you click on this link in the OP you can zoom in an click around to see how the duration of totality changes as you get further from the centerline.

Near the Texas/Mexico border for example, being right on the centerline gets you about 4m26s of totality while being half way between centerline and the red edge gets you 3m50s. The duration falls off faster as you get closer to the edge of totality.

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
I’m a couple of hours’ drive from the total eclipse path, so I’m definitely making plans. I’d like to point out that on October 14, 2023, there will be an annular solar eclipse. The path stretches from Oregon to South Texas. An annular eclipse occurs when the apparent diameter of the moon is too small to completely cover the sun, such that the sun looks like a big bright ring instead.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I was at home in central Wyoming in 2017 for the eclipse, so I only had to travel as far as my backyard to see it.

My favorite thing about describing a total solar eclipse to people is they think you can't see them without special equipment. Now, I didn't get a nickname like Star Man because I like extremely irrelevant video games, so I understood that somehow, people were able to see solar eclipses.

I live in Pittsburgh now, so I will have to travel to see the eclipse. Going to Texas would probably be my best bet, but I will probably be stuck making the trek to Erie and hoping for the best.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm thinking of planning a road trip from Vancouver to Texas for this and camping somewhere along the route to avoid the hotel problem. Anyone along the route thinking of doing the same?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
As an FYI, anyone driving to a place and planning on leaving after the eclipse ends, be prepared for a very long drive.

If I end up going to Erie to roll the dice on seeing the eclipse, I plan on staying in town all day and not leaving until 10 pm.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm not planning it as a day trip, more like a 3 week trip. I'd camp at least one night before and after the eclipse.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mantle posted:

I'm not planning it as a day trip, more like a 3 week trip. I'd camp at least one night before and after the eclipse.

Seems good. That post was for anyone reading in general, not anyone specific.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
Last time I was at 99.8% totality and let me tell you, 0.2% sunlight is still pretty bright. This year I'm planning to stay at Niagara Falls cause why not

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Dr Strangepants posted:

Last time I was at 99.8% totality and let me tell you, 0.2% sunlight is still pretty bright.
Yes - it's total or it's not. Eclipses are binary that way.

Very cool. I was hoping someone would make a thread for this. I am a big fan of total solar eclipses, and this should have been #4 for me (out of six I've considered or almost witnessed), but I'll be happy with #3. As everybody else has stated, yes - it's amazing. I tell people that it's the greatest special effect (that's not fake - but real) that you can see on this planet. Yes you need to get in the 115-mile wide path. Do it!

Saw July 1991 in Baja, and it was spectacular. Really hooked after that. Sadly all my other friends at the time went to Hawaii for that eclipse and they really didn't see it because of clouds. Saw the 2017 on the Pacific Ocean in Oregon... that was dicey had to drive 40 minutes or so on the day of - foggy morning. Also amazing.

Then was denied what would have been the best to date in Argentina December 2020 because of the pandemic. (I had planned for 2 years to be able to make it. But I didn't have enough time to quarantine in the country and still get to see it). And now I hope to come to Texas next April.

On the heels of the 1991 eclipse, I wanted to go solo to Bolivia / Paraguay in 1994, but my friends talked me out of it. A cocaine war I think was happening at the time and a solo gringo was probably not the best visitor there.

So I have to ask, anybody get to see the December 14, 2020 (2:10 duration) eclipse here? I'm happy for you, if I am still bummed about that one.

Here's 2017 with my sigma lens - it's OK. The eclipse goes by really quick (especially if you want to shoot it).
Eclipse

I may want to hit some people up on Texas and the landscape and weather. I found this about San Antonio. I am wanting to go due west of the big city.
San Antonio

Excited :supaburn:

Djimi fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 16, 2023

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I went to a small town in Tennessee to watch the 2017 eclipse. We got something like 2m37s of totality, and it was probably the coolest thing I've ever done in my life.

Not sure where I want to be for 2024 yet, but there's no way I'm gonna miss out. Going to Cleveland for the Guardians home opener and watching totality would probably be pretty cool.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
This might be a silly question, but is it worth bringing my nice camera to take a picture of the solar corona? Or should I just enjoy the brief moment and save somebody else's pics later?

I see there is another one in 2026 that starts in Spain and possibly an even better one in 2027.
https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEdecade/SEdecade2021.html

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Unless you're already into astrophotography and you have filters ready to go, I'd sit back and enjoy somebody else's pics later. Right up until totality, keeping your camera pointed at the sun can melt lens elements and burn out your camera's sensor.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't take any picture without a telescope equipped with a white light filter. Last time, I used a simple 70 mm refractor, a filter over the objective, and a horrible contraption that held my point-and-click digital camera up to the eyepiece.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Thus post has some details about trying to take pics of an eclipse. As noted already, it’s probably not worth your effort unless you already have a lot of gear.

You can however use your nice camera to take some wide shots during totality that capture the landscape with the eclipse in the sky:

Especially if you’ve never seen totality before, I’d definitely recommend enjoying the moment and not fiddling with a camera.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 18, 2023

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
I am so very lucky to be within the totality of the '24 eclipse. I plan on driving down to the nearby city of Vincennes, IN to stay with a friend and watch it on the grounds of the George Rogers Clark Memorial. Looked at the route and the exact center of the totality will pass directly over the memorial following the Wabash River.

I was similarly lucky to take some time off of work and drive to Columbia, MO to see the 2017 one with some friends. It's a near religious experience. I can see why ancient folks saw it as an omen or a sign from the gods. Well worth the experience to see one. I also appreciated the local radio station playing Blinded By The Light right after it concluded. But yeah, cameras on a phone or special gear really can't capture it well.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sailor Jerry posted:

It's a near religious experience. I can see why ancient folks saw it as an omen or a sign from the gods.

Without having a pretty good understanding of the science of what was actually happening I can't possibly imagine having a different interpretation of it. What else could it possibly be?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

In 2017 I drove 250 miles to be in the dead center of totality and managed to go to the one place in the country that had total cloud cover during the eclipse. I was planning a trip to Oregon to observe the total eclipse coming this October but the person I was going to visit as part of that trip has had some issues where I'm not going anywhere near there. I'm still deciding if I want to go to Reno or something and then drive over to a spot in the desert for totality. For 2024, I happen to be pretty close to the path so I'll just drive over to some quiet spot to observe it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The eclipse this October is annular, not total

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait for science.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
I’m maybe a 90 minute drive from totality. August 2017 was so cool, even if it was cloudy and the sun only had a little nibble from it. It still darkened enough at peak that the night insects started singing. The shadows on the ground through tree leaves had the same bite from them that the sun did. To add to the surreality I was working nights at the time so I was super ready for sleep and had taken an Ambien so I laid back on a hill and watched the clouds gently roll and melt into each other while waiting for it to start. I am glad I found this thread. I’m super geeked to have a totality happening basically next door.

Thora fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 26, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I hope to see it. I'm thinking maybe in the panhandle and then checking out Oklahoma City after it's done to see what that's all about.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Rick posted:

I hope to see it. I'm thinking maybe in the panhandle and then checking out Oklahoma City after it's done to see what that's all about.

Based on the map in the OP it's not passing through the panhandle, but rather the exact opposite part of the state. Which happens to me much, much more scenic than the panhandle.

And if you decide to pop into OKC, feel free to hit me up in PMs or pop into the Oklahoma/Arkansas thread in LAN about things to see and do. :)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Based on the map in the OP it's not passing through the panhandle, but rather the exact opposite part of the state. Which happens to me much, much more scenic than the panhandle.

And if you decide to pop into OKC, feel free to hit me up in PMs or pop into the Oklahoma/Arkansas thread in LAN about things to see and do. :)

Oh poo poo, thank you, probably good to find that out now instead of then.

I am wondering if it might coincide with a preseason basketball game although no way to know that this far ahead.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The suns grip on the daytime sky will be tested by the moon tomorrow morning. https://eclipse.aas.org/eclipse-america-2023

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Currently sitting on the side of a road in utah looking at the sun. About 20% in shadow now, phone pics suck so no pics till I can pull them off my dslr.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Enjoy, not only is it rainy and cloudy where I am, I'm so far away I only get 30% max coverage. I haven't even bothered to bust out the glasses yet to look.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Just some wispy clouds here. Almost there, you can see it kinda in the lens reflection in this pic

e: timg’d

e2: best I could get with my phone through eclipse glasses

Not as fun as a total eclipse, stayed a lot brighter than I was expecting and no cool wavy snake shadows on the ground.

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 14, 2023

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
No visibility here today, sadly.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lots of clouds in Northern CA but it still looked pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Some better pics

Picked a popular spot apparently

Moneyshot

Weird spikes radiating during annularity, maybe just a phone lens thing?