Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

:siren: attention goons who go outside, this is your 13 month warning :siren:

On Monday April 8th, 2024 a Total Solar Eclipse will grace North America for the second time in only 7 years! If you caught totality in August of 2017 then you know what the hype is about, but if you missed it this will be your last chance to see one on this continent until 2044.

Here is a map of the path of totality, overlayed on a map of typical cloud cover for April:

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

Since we are LESS THAN ONE WEEK away, weather forecasts are starting to get somewhat meaningful.

This website has a nice dashboard which shows four different forecast models for April 8th, automatically updated when the models update.

It also has an explanation about each model’s strengths and weaknesses. Here is the current run of the model it describes thusly “Its forecasts for cloud cover are the most nuanced and realistic available on this page”:
(Note that cloud cover is shown in blue here, clear skies in white)

(last updated Tuesday April 2nd mid-day)

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

I am planning to be in Mazatlan, and the hotel we’ve been eyeing there just this week opened up reservations for April ‘24 so I’m in spread-the-word mode now.

So who else is planning to travel for this one? Use this thread to share wisdom learned in 2017, or convince other goons that it is worth their time and effort to travel to the path of totality (99% is extremely NOT the same!)

You want to be in the tiny black dot on this animation. The huge less dark shadow is for chumps!

edit:
Eclipse Links and Resources
General info including some detailed local maps of totality

Interactive google map of the path, you can click any point on this map to get a pop up showing the times and duration of the eclipse at that spot. Note that all times are listed in UT.
Here is another map with similar features but a pulldown to change timezones.

Eclipse Photography

Goon Testimonials:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I tried to photograph the 2017 eclipse with my phone, from the wastelands outside North Platte, Nebraska, USA at the centre of its path. It didn't work out but the event was still amazing

I highly rec seeing the solar eclipse if at all you can

toggle posted:

I recently watched the total eclipse in Western Australia, just a surreal experience. Highly recommended.

tarlibone posted:

I'm an astronomy nut, and even though I don't bust out the telescopes as much as I used to, there is no way I'm missing this. I'm in southern Illinois, not far from St. Louis, so I didn't have to drive far to catch the total eclipse last time. I kept all the stuff I bought, too, so I don't have to do that again.

I'll be somewhere in the southern part of the state, filter on my telescope, on the big day.

ProperCoochie posted:

Literally the greatest show on earth. I traveled so long and hard to reach the path of totality in 2017 and it was soooo worth it!!

honkwins posted:

my partner and I got married on Borah Peak in Idaho during the last one (which was in the path of totality) and it was 10000% worth it

XYZAB posted:

I drove to the middle of nowhere Idaho for totality in 2017 and it was the coolest thing I’ve ever seen in my entire life. Would highly recommend anyone on the fence to just loving do it.

PokeJoe posted:

I saw the last one in the middle of oregon with a very clear sky. i thought it would be cool but it was even cooler than i expected. go check it out if you didn't do the totality thing. its worth it

Haschel Cedricson posted:

It's one thing to be told how cool a total eclipse is, and another to see it actually happen. Every single person in this thread who is hyping it up is still managing to undersell it, and I absolutely understand why in the days before astronomy an eclipse would cause people to freak the gently caress out.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Yes, thank you for making this thread! I went out to bumfuck nowhere South Carolina for the 2017 eclipse, and it was absolutely worth the effort. Just a magical, unforgettable experience.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

“98% is good enough” -me, an idiot, in 2017. Gonna try for totality this time.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If you're on the fence, read this blog post from Maciej Cegłowski about the 2012 eclipse. https://idlewords.com/2012/11/total_eclipse_of_the_sun.htm

quote:

6:37 AM

Things happen quickly. The photos capture what it looks like to see the sun turn into a crescent and then wink out. What they don't capture is that feeling of the world fading out just as if someone were turning a dimmer switch. It's darker and cooler than sunset, even though the relative colors are those of a bright, sunny day. The effect hits a big red button in the reptile brain, saying 'something is not right'. The closest I can remember to it is those summer storms in Illinois where it would get really dark in a matter of seconds, and you knew you had best go hide under something sturdy.

6:38 AM

Totality! And we can see it! The beach goes completely dark, except for hundreds of flashbulbs from fools who have forgotten to set their camera correctly. I fumble to get a picture, and my flash goes off. The sun has tricked us all! It was behind a very thin cloud at the end, but so dim that it looked like it was blocked out. Now it's clearly visible, a dark hole punched in the sky, surrounded by the corona. I don't have the equipment for a precise reading, but I estimate the metalness of the eclipse at 2.4 megaslayers. I am getting good value for my eclipse-viewing dollar.

The beach is whooping and hollering, looking at the apparition in the sky. The cruise ship is lit up like a chandelier again, and all around the horizon you can see the red and orange sunset colors, where the sunlight from a hundred kilometers away is filtering through to us. Up in the sky the planets and brightest stars are visible, but no one can look at that since we're all riveted by the sight of the ridiculous, over the top, airbrushed-on-the-side-of-a-van thing hanging in the sky where the sun used to be. I am thankful I have not taken any drugs.

6:40 AM

A single dot of sunlight emerges through some lunar crevice, and for an instant it's reflected in the ocean, like a distant lighthouse at night. An instant later it's too bright to look at, and then daylight starts coming slowly back again. I notice that high tide has snuck up on all of us in the past hour and is menacing our feet. The mood on the beach is as jolly as I've ever seen people before seven in the morning. My guess is that half the crowd is from the region, and half are visitors, but everybody is glad they came out, and that the clouds didn't steal the eclipse from us. I am happy that the timing of the eclipse gave everyone in Port Douglas the chance to come see it, not just us tourists.

[...]

On the drive-time radio show in Port Douglas, Australia, the host promises to bring on an astrologer to talk about “what the eclipse means for your life”. But for me that's the opposite of what makes it wonderful. The eclipse doesn't even know you exist. Nature provides a brief alignment of the Moon and Sun that is completely foreordained, immutable, and will happen with Swiss precision for another billion or so years, whether or not anyone is looking. It is on us to aggregate into litttle bubbles of protoplasm, develop eyes, emerge onto land, discover fire, evolve language, ask the brainier among us where the thing will happen, and make the appropriate travel arrangements.

A good way to feel small is to look at the Wikipedia list of future solar eclipses, and think about that fact that between one and another of them you are going to disappear, but the eclipses will keep happening, about one a year, until the moon finally drifts too far away from the earth to perform the magic trick anymore.

It's the greatest thing that happens in the sky. Find one on the list you can go see, and see it!

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 7, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

To reiterate how rare and unique this is, let’s ponder the fluke of cosmic history that allows us to experience a total solar eclipse.

What makes totality special is the fact that the disks of the moon and sun are almost identical in size from our perspective here on the surface of the earth. That is what lets the moon perfectly block out the sun while leaving the sun’s atmosphere (corona) safely visible to the naked eye. But this wasn’t always the case and won’t always be the case! It is a fluke of the moon’s size and distance from earth. Hundreds of millions of years ago the moon was closer to the earth and thus would have also blocked more of the corona. And about 600 million years from now the moon will be too far away from the earth to ever fully cover the sun. Total eclipses will cease to occur, replaced instead with gradually less spectacular annular eclipses.

We just happen to be alive at a time and place where the moon sometimes perfectly obscures the sun such that we can observe this beautiful interplay.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Also looking at that cloud cover map, I’d highly recommend that anyone who’s not planning to view this from Mexico have a car and a plan to drive for open skies based on the weather the night before or early that morning if need be.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spamming this thread with some more info and resources:

So You Want To Photograph a Total Solar Eclipse
Here is a page with a lot of detail on eclipse photography, from Fred Espenak who is one of the biggest eclipse chasers out there and has many decades of experience doing this. I will excerpt some highlights here to give an idea of what's involved and drive home the general point that it is difficult and not recommended, especially if you have never seen totality before:

Fred Espenak Mr Eclipse.com posted:

Certainly the most spectacular and awe-inspiring phase of the eclipse is totality. For a few brief minutes or seconds, the Sun’s pearly white corona, red prominences, and chromosphere are visible ( The Experience of Totality). The great challenge is to obtain a set of photographs that captures these fleeting phenomena. The most important point to remember is that during the total phase, all solar filters must be removed. The corona has a surface brightness a million times fainter than the photosphere, so photographs of the corona are made without a filter. Furthermore, it is completely safe to view the totally eclipsed Sun directly with the naked eye. No filters are needed, and in fact, they would only hinder the view. The average brightness of the corona varies inversely with the distance from the Sun’s limb. The inner corona is far brighter than the outer corona; thus, no single exposure can capture its full dynamic range. The best strategy is to choose one aperture or f/number and bracket the exposures over a range of shutter speeds (i.e., 1/1000s to 1s). Rehearsing this sequence is highly recommended because great excitement accompanies totality and there is little time to think.

It should be pointed out that the exposure table above is only a guideline for planning purposes. The brightness of the corona may vary from one eclipse to the next based on the relative point in the sunspot cycle as well as the current activity on the Sun during the eclipse. Because of the high dynamic range in the brightness encompassed by the corona, there is no one single exposure that is "correct." The best strategy is to bracket widely during totality to shoot a large range of exposures. I typically shoot at ISO 200, f/9 and will use shutter speeds ranging from 1/1000 down to 1 or more seconds.

Point and Shoot Cameras
Point-and-shoot cameras with wide angle lenses are excellent for capturing the quickly changing light in the seconds before and during totality. Use a tripod or brace the camera on a wall or fence since slow shutter speeds will be needed. You should also disable or turn off your camera's electronic flash so that it does not interfere with anyone else's view of the eclipse.

Another eclipse effect that is easily captured with point-and-shoot cameras should not be overlooked. Use a straw hat or a kitchen sieve and allow its shadow to fall on a piece of white cardboard placed several feet away. The small holes act like pinhole cameras and each one projects its own image of the eclipsed Sun. The effect can also be duplicated by forming a small aperture with the fingers of one’s hands and watching the ground below. The pinhole camera effect becomes more prominent with increasing eclipse magnitude. Virtually any camera can be used to photograph the phenomenon, but automatic cameras must have their flashes turned off because this would otherwise obliterate the pinhole images.

But hey, if you already have a cool telescope with a motor drive and a fancy DSLR you can attach to it and automate, go for it!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I tried to photograph the 2017 eclipse with my phone, from the wastelands outside North Platte, Nebraska, USA at the centre of its path. It didn't work out but the event was still amazing

I highly rec seeing the solar eclipse if at all you can

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

My family's land in northeast Texas is right on the center line of this eclipse. Our county has 30,000 residents but is planning to have up to 250k visitors. Planning on getting up there Saturday or Sunday, getting back to Houston on Wednesday. Looking forward to this one!

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Of course in 2017 I was in Newfoundland at the time of the eclipse and they had like 1% coverage. Now this time around they get 100%.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Beware of clouds in Newfoundland

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bumping this thread cause the eclipse is one year from today! Do you have lodging? Have you scouted camping or viewing locations on Google earth? Are your friends and family already tired of your eclipse proselytizing?

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
So what's stopping me from just showing up to Lake Erie with a kayak

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nothing, aside from the median 60-70% expected cloud cover

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I recently watched the total eclipse in Western Australia, just a surreal experience. Highly recommended.

Not recommended is the boat load of photos I have to edit..

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'm driving to texas from new mexico. Was able to get a room reservation near dallas, then i'll just drive rest of the way in. Suppose traffic will get crazy.

Beer Gay So What
Apr 20, 2023

THEY MADE THE BEER GAY AND THATS OK
Can't believe I am going to willingly travel to Ohio for this.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I'm an astronomy nut, and even though I don't bust out the telescopes as much as I used to, there is no way I'm missing this. I'm in southern Illinois, not far from St. Louis, so I didn't have to drive far to catch the total eclipse last time. I kept all the stuff I bought, too, so I don't have to do that again.

I'll be somewhere in the southern part of the state, filter on my telescope, on the big day.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The totality path crosses through the spot where my wife and I got married. We have a cabin rented and will be taking our kids.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I live about a couple of hours from Indianapolis, so traveling there for the eclipse won't be a problem. I could probably convince my brother-in-law there to throw a party for the occasion, if he and his friends don't do so anyways.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 20, 2023

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I have zero desire to spend any more money in Texas than absolutely necessary. Is there any good camping available in the meat of the totality band?

From my experience with the last eclipse I have zero desire to travel in and out of the area on the same day.

Persiflagist
Mar 7, 2013
Well heres hoping it doesn';t get cancelled.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It was cloudy where I lived in South Carolina in 2017. I had the glasses and everything too. poo poo sucked.

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I’m reading the Bible so I can teach the zombies about Heaven.

bawfuls posted:

if you missed it this will be your last chance to see one on this continent until 2044.
drat, it’s within travel distance too… I can’t miss this.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Buffalo lookin good.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Literally the greatest show on earth. I traveled so long and hard to reach the path of totality in 2017 and it was soooo worth it!!

There's a fun theory that at this point in history, because our moon and sun are both the same size (1/400th of the sky), that even super advanced aliens/UFOs would come visit to witness our perfect total eclipses.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If you had a ship capable of interstellar travel you could park yourself the perfect eclipse distance behind any planet or moon at any time

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Yes but where and when else could you park the ship, get out, and get a decent plate of brisket during the eclipse?

honkwins
Jun 24, 2011

a high-protein meat alternative

my partner and I got married on Borah Peak in Idaho during the last one (which was in the path of totality) and it was 10000% worth it

from our experiences:
  • if you're driving around somewhere rural, traffic back towards civilization afterwards will rival LA rush hour. have enough gas, snacks and water in the car, etc.
  • temps will drop noticeably (and quickly) during the eclipse and will take a bit to warm back up after
  • buy eclipse glasses now, the price on them will get exorbitant the closer it gets to the eclipse
  • if you're going to be somewhere in the wilderness, be aware that a ton of other people are too. if it's some place that requires permits, campsite reservations, etc, have a backup plan. Borah had like a dozen park rangers at the trailhead and some on the mountain so don't expect to be able to skirt the rules
those are the things that immediately spring to mind

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I drove to the middle of nowhere Idaho for totality in 2017 and it was the coolest thing I’ve ever seen in my entire life. Would highly recommend anyone on the fence to just loving do it. Stayed on a mormon farm I found via Google image search of all places, they had a huge plot of land set up for ~100 guests and even a few NASA scientists showed up and brought telescopes. It was nuts.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I was in Jackson for the 2017 one. Spent the previous night in Blackfoot, Idaho and drove in. I’ve been to Jackson a few times and that was the most traffic I’ve ever seen there. I think we left Idaho at like 5 AM and finally found a spot to park maybe an hour before the eclipse. Probably going to try Texas this time maybe Dallas, no idea where to park though. Hope I don’t end up in a Walmart parking lot, but no matter where I end up it won't match the setting in Jackson.

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 6, 2023

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I saw the last one in the middle of oregon with a very clear sky. i thought it would be cool but it was even cooler than i expected. go check it out if you didn't do the totality thing. its worth it

e:

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 6, 2023

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Yeah the 2017 one happened to go right over my in-laws' house so we had a party there. It's one thing to be told how cool a total eclipse is, and another to see it actually happen. Every single person in this thread who is hyping it up is still managing to undersell it, and I absolutely understand why in the days before astronomy an eclipse would cause people to freak the gently caress out.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

So with it being a given that it'd be better to be inside the red lines, how cool or not would the eclipse be in Oklahoma City? It's so close to the red lines, relatively speaking. I could probably convince my wife to rent a cabin in SE Oklahoma for it, but that's :effort:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Judgy Fucker posted:

So with it being a given that it'd be better to be inside the red lines, how cool or not would the eclipse be in Oklahoma City? It's so close to the red lines, relatively speaking. I could probably convince my wife to rent a cabin in SE Oklahoma for it, but that's :effort:
The entire show is between those red lines. Being outside them is like being a mile away from the venue where your favorite band is playing. Being inside them is like standing in the front row at the show.

You either make the effort to get to totality, or you are effectively ignoring the eclipse. There’s really no in between.

You live SO close, you’re incredibly lucky to be within a day’s drive of a total eclipse at all. Absolutely make the effort to get there. As I mentioned upthread, the next total solar eclipse in North America isn’t until 2044!

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 6, 2023

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I saw the last one and it was very cool, probably skipping this one cause its so far away and toddler but if you missed it and you've got the ability its 1000% worth seeing and making a trip for.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

bawfuls posted:

The entire show is between those red lines. Being outside them is like being a mile away from the venue where your favorite band is playing. Being inside them is like standing in the front row at the show.

You either make the effort to get to totality, or you are effectively ignoring the eclipse. There’s really no in between.

You live SO close, you’re incredibly lucky to be within a day’s drive of a total eclipse at all. Absolutely make the effort to get there. As I mentioned upthread, the next total solar eclipse in North America isn’t until 2044!

Fair enough, I'll pitch it to her tonight. Been too long since we've visited the big city lights of McCurtain County, Oklahoma anyway.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Judgy Fucker posted:

Fair enough, I'll pitch it to her tonight. Been too long since we've visited the big city lights of McCurtain County, Oklahoma anyway.
Just be aware that clouds will absolutely ruin the show. Consider having a mobile backup plan and be prepared to drive within the path of totality early that morning or late the night before if the forecast at your first spot looks bad. Or just pick your spot and roll the dice, clouds are tough to predict sometimes!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I'm rolling the dice this time. We saw totality in 2017, and I even got some pictures and video because I brought a telescope and the appropriate filter. This time, the path will be just as close, but if it's cloudy, I can still say I saw a total eclipse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002
I am excited for this eclipse and I should have did this research 6 months+ ago. Looking for a camp spot in the Okla/Ark/MO/Ind areas. I am looking for a place to camp with 2 relatively small pull behind campers....Sunday before the eclipse to Tuesday or whatever the minimum will be. We will be coming south from AL and need 1 with full power/water at a minimum and the other power or what is available. Looks like spots are getting tight so hoping we are looking soon enough. We're hoping to find a spot in the path to set up and chill....about 6 of us total, adults/kids. Any suggestions much appreciated