Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
jet grind/set radio for DC is maybe my favorite game of all time.

but compared to the typical SA poster that might not be saying much - i prob beat it like twice? i know there's perverts on here with like 80,000 hours on getting over it with bennett foddy or something

i should find that effortpost thread in games and do one on JSR. The soundtrack is great but the whole package is like it had to all come into existence together - you couldn't have such a good OST without the setting, character design and gameplay concepts fitting in with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I have vague memories of playing Alex the Kid on a mastersystem down at the local mall when I was a kid. He wore a boxing glove, ate burgers and played rock paper scissors with a pirate after each level. Occasionally a floating walrus head would turn up and insta-kill him.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gilgamesh

e: gently caress wait no

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
being able to plug the Sonic 2 and 3 cartridges into the Sonic and Knuckles cartride then start those games with Knuckles was cool as hell

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Buddy had a master system, and he got 3 pack ins, vs my 2 on nes. Both had a light gun game. Cool that Sega didn't try and copy Mario, but instead packed in hang on. There was also a maze game in the system hardware! No cartridge needed.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The only Sega console I ever owned was Game Gear, and all I remember about it is taking turns playing Sonic during road trips with my brother. X-Men on my cousin's Genesis was cool too.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

The only Sega console I ever owned was Game Gear, and all I remember about it is taking turns playing Sonic during road trips with my brother. X-Men on my cousin's Genesis was cool too.

were you able to get more than 30 min out of a game gear before changing batteries or were those the shortest turns ever?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

were you able to get more than 30 min out of a game gear before changing batteries or were those the shortest turns ever?

It wasn't that bad, but definitely not something we could play all day. Maybe a few hours?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think dragon crystal on the game gear as a child was my first interaction with a roguelike, warping me into a roguelike-liker

had to play that while the game gear was plugged in charging though, way too long otherwise

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

How have I not seen this before, amazing.

I never had a Sega console, but a neighbour had a Mega Drive. He had a Japanese cart of Bare Knuckle II (SoR 2) and NHL '93 that we played almost daily for years. I still think the latter is the best party hockey game ever, at least until people figure out the cheap goal tactic and have to be made to agree not to use it.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
NHL '94. The last NHL franchise game to show blood on the ice when you really blasted someone iirc.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

how did the nomad perform? never knew anyone who owned one.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

I can already hear the music playing in my head!

NoiseAnnoys posted:

how did the nomad perform? never knew anyone who owned one.
It took a whole ton of batteries for very little playtime, but plugged in it became the best thing to bring along on trips to hotels and such. And my parents ended up getting us a power converter for the car, so it became a go-to road trip staple as well. And odds are if you're getting a Nomad, you've already got the game library to go with it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Rocket Knight deserved more games. Loved it even though I was terrible at it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I decided I wanted a Saturn as a kid and got one for Xmas with the pack-in bundle of Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 2 and Daytona USA. The soundtrack for Daytona is burned into my brain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J9ffRgADRU

:hmmyes: This, and also the Road Rash 3 UK stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRN813HA8dc

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

My life is as a living advertisement to the M3 port of Phantasy Star 1 with automap, available now on Nintendo Switch.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
My two favorite Sega games have to be Alien Soldier (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMVNeMp9HX4) and Mazin Saga (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwM4vzyfmOI)

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I love the 90s sort of Lisa frank meets nature company space dolphins aesthetic. It almost but not quite made me want to see the new avatar water movie.
The ending ruled too.

I’m also upset we never got a proper third game that continued with Ecco being a jerk and messing around with time.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ambitious Spider posted:

I love the 90s sort of Lisa frank meets nature company space dolphins aesthetic. It almost but not quite made me want to see the new avatar water movie.
The ending ruled too.

I’m also upset we never got a proper third game that continued with Ecco being a jerk and messing around with time.

Same, comrade

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i never had a sega as a child. I went from atari somethingorother to nes, snes and the playstations, but I had that one sega kid as a friend and also messed around with :filez: as a teen. played the hell out of sonic 2+3 and knuckles, and ecco the dolphin.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Cranappleberry posted:

being able to plug the Sonic 2 and 3 cartridges into the Sonic and Knuckles cartride then start those games with Knuckles was cool as hell
:hellyeah: When I was younger I thought stacking the cartridges was the coolest thing in the world, and heck, I still do.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGA4PilHdr0

I only drove from like 2000-2008 and the Jet Set Radio OST lived in my car the entire time.

you drove correctly

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I remember realizing that you could just put saturn discs into cd players and play the music because it was just wav files and just having darius gaiden or AMOK be my driving music

copy
Jul 26, 2007

jet grind radio ruled so hard but by the time i could find any of the bands/groups who made the music most of them had already broken up or just vanished like Guitar Vader (magical girl, super brothers) but yeah that soundtrack loving rocked

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I not only had a Sega Genesis , I bought a Sega CD (Sewer Shark), and I had a 32 X Doom.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Schubalts posted:

revive Gunstar Heroes, cowards.

ban anyone who paid non-fire-sale prices for a 32X

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Schubalts posted:

i think there was one called like Sparkster or something (maybe for snes?) and also a pc one got made a few years back https://store.steampowered.com/app/19030/Rocket_Knight/

can't speak to the quality. Still get the boss music from RKA stuck in my head sometimes

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
I still have my Saturn and panzer dragoon saga. I should get it out and play it

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My uncle had NES, Super NES, Genesis, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, PlayStation, and PS2.

I had the Game Boy brick and Game Boy Color. :geno: It wasn't until I was well into adulthood that I realized how utterly spoiled my uncle was.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

my very first experience with any gex game was playing the one on saturn in a store

I also have a vague memory of this really psychedelic carnival/commedia dell arte-like i platformer on it, something or other about nights. that owned

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ulvir posted:

my very first experience with any gex game was playing the one on saturn in a store

I also have a vague memory of this really psychedelic carnival/commedia dell arte-like i platformer on it, something or other about nights. that owned

Whenever I hear psychedelic carnival I have to gauge which is being discussed

Nights: into dreams was the one on saturn

Pandemonium was the one on PSX

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Zero_Grade posted:

:hellyeah: When I was younger I thought stacking the cartridges was the coolest thing in the world, and heck, I still do.

it is!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

Whenever I hear psychedelic carnival I have to gauge which is being discussed

Nights: into dreams was the one on saturn

Pandemonium was the one on PSX

nights: into dreams was the one, yes. pandemonium sucked imo

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
JET SET RADIOOOOOOOO!!!!!

My favorite part was in the late stages where you have to go through the many districts and find out they are all connected in game. At first I thought they were just separate sections but then when the rooftop section was connected to the quarry section and was connected to the sewers, that blew my mind.

Second favorite part was using spraypaint to destroy helicopters.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
When I think of Sega Genesis the first games I think of are the two Jurassic Park games. There were SNES versions that were completely different, and I feel like the Sega ones just flew under the radar. In both, you could play as either Grant and get an arsenal of weapons and gadgets, or a Raptor and kill dudes with lots of melee attacks. They were both side scrolling platformers but each of the levels had different gimmicks. It also has the T Rex yell SEGAAAAA when you boot it up.

The first game had some early survival horror vibes. Grant was mostly armed with tranquilizers, so the dinosaurs you knocked out would get back up and attack again after a bit. Raptors would even chase you from room to room, kick down doors and jump up ledges. The T Rex bursts through the wall in some levels and you have to puzzle out how to get past him without being eaten. There was a boat level where you have to drive a dingy downstream while stopping to collect fuel, and trying not to crash over waterfalls.

The second game, Rampage Edition, is the Resident Evil 4 of the series. Just a full action sequel ramping up everything from the previous game. Grant is strapped with machine guns and flamethrowers and fighting helicopters and armies of guys on top of rampaging dinosaurs. The Raptor fights his own evil clone or something in a sinking cargo ship.

I was a Jurassic Park kid in the 90s so having both of these games was awesome. I played them over and over and over. I think the SNES ones sucked rear end.

The soundtrack was great too.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Playing as Knuckles in Sonic 2 made it so easy it was comical. You could just skip enormous sections of many stages.

Bloodcider posted:

When I think of Sega Genesis the first games I think of are the two Jurassic Park games. There were SNES versions that were completely different, and I feel like the Sega ones just flew under the radar. In both, you could play as either Grant and get an arsenal of weapons and gadgets, or a Raptor and kill dudes with lots of melee attacks. They were both side scrolling platformers but each of the levels had different gimmicks. It also has the T Rex yell SEGAAAAA when you boot it up.
CommandoGrant was fine, but fact that you could play as a raptor was awesome; running around kicking the poo poo out of InGen dudes and other dinos. What kid wouldn't want to play as a dinosaur, given the option?

I would agree that first SNES one sucked (it was overhead perspective but switched to a FPV whenever you went into a building, and also was very confusing with no indications about where you were supposed to be going), but the second one was great. THE CHAOS CONTINUED by going back to classic platforming with co-op play so you could shoot dinos/bad guys with a friend.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

copy posted:

i think there was one called like Sparkster or something (maybe for snes?) and also a pc one got made a few years back https://store.steampowered.com/app/19030/Rocket_Knight/

can't speak to the quality. Still get the boss music from RKA stuck in my head sometimes

Heck yeah, the boss music (and the whole soundtrack, really) is great! I rented the game as a kid, and for the longest time that boss music would pop into my head as the quintessential "video game boos music", without really remembering where it came from. It just starts with this feeling of dread and builds into this hectic weirdness that fits the Rocket Knight bosses so perfectly. When I finally bought the game to replay as an adult, hearing and recognizing the song again added this whole surreal feeling to it.

As for sequels, there have been a few. There was Sparkster on the Genesis, which ended up as a kind of middling platformer. Competent, but not extraordinary.

Then there was Sparkster on the SNES (different game completely), which kept up the feel of the original pretty well. But about halfway through the last stage it introduces a boss fight that's pretty much unplayable. That, alongside the last boss who would spam whatever combination of screen-filling attacks he pleased, kind of left a sour taste.

And the new-ish one kinda takes a while to get up to speed, and falls a bit short of what made the first one so awesome. So yeah, there've been sequels, but they haven't really figured out how to make 'em work.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxHAj0vtLNg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

maybe it's just me but genesis games always felt harder than SNES, like they held on hard to their arcade heritage

i played the absolute poo poo out of road rash 2, most of the Sonics, Vector Man and both Jurassic Park games at a neighbor's house, like almost daily, but i never felt the games were really 'beatable' the way the games i was playing on snes at the time were