Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Oh baby it's March Madness time. Come tune in to NCAA basketball for the first time since last April! What the gently caress is this? Why is Alabama ranked 1st in a sport that isn't football? Way to hog all the sports dickheads.

Anyway, I figure we can talk about both men's and women's tournaments in here. The first four for the men's tournament starts tonight.

All other games and what channel they're on can be found here. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracket

Women's first four starts tomorrow

Rest of the bracket is here https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracket

Get your crying gifs started now.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CautiousEmbellishedInsect-mobile.mp4

e: Putting this at the top so everyone sees it.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I've set up a goons bracket challenge.

Numbers are getting there for the men's, but I'd love for it to be more than two of us in the women's bracket challenge.

Goons 2023 bracket challenge up and running

Password: fuckduke

Also a women's bracket challenge if anyone wants to do that

Group is Goons 2023
Password: sagoons

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Someone remind me when my brackets are due

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
What the gently caress is a fair dickinson?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

kiimo posted:

Someone remind me when my brackets are due

Thursday before first game, which is 12:15 PM EST.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

What the gently caress is a fair dickinson?

A Dickinson you're speeding away from on 45.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Tons of potential demons for Houston to slay this year -

- Being #1 in the Midwest, just like 1983
- Still gotta get past Northern Kentucky
- The looming road game with Auburn on Saturday
- Sampson vs Indiana in the Sweet 16
- Texas looming as the 2 seed in the Elite 8
- Having the Final Four at home, first title up for grabs, while being a Houston sports team
- UCLA in the Final Four, having to replay the Game of the Century
- A rematch with Alabama for the title
- Or even worse, the nightmare scenario, a rematch with Memphis for the title

Still freaks me out how far things have come. Even ten years ago UH basketball was a thing that was. It was a cemetery lurking in a dark basement, both in Conference USA and its home court. It was a blurb in a CBS video montage and then put away to not be seen again until next year's montage, nostalgia people pretended to have of something that happened before they were born. The teams of Elvin Hayes and the 60s had already faded to myth, and Phi Slama Jama was nearing that status as well. For the first time in my life, I can look at a major sports team at my alma mater and actually say with a straight face "those guys have a shot to win it all".

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 14, 2023

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

dirty shrimp money posted:

Still freaks me out how far things have come. Even ten years ago UH basketball was a thing that was. It was a cemetery lurking in a dark basement, both in Conference USA and its home court. It was a blurb in a CBS video montage and then put away to not be seen again until next year's montage, nostalgia people pretended to have of something that happened before they were born. The teams of Elvin Hayes and the 60s had already faded to myth, and Phi Slama Jama was nearing that status as well. For the first time in my life, I can look at a major sports team at my alma mater and actually say with a straight face "those guys have a shot to win it all".

:smithicide:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel like there's several other matchups that make Gonzaga taste its own upset medicine but GCU defense is so so bad.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
TAMUCC is not good but SE Missouri is less gooder still

(the other 16 seeds are worse)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Semo!

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I'm kinda lolling at this. Never in history have two 16 seeds looked more like a couple of 16 seeds

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Conference champions in a play-in game. Disgusting.

Like, look at what they've done to SWAC champs Texas Southern

I mean, I know they have a billion losses so making them play in this year is very justifiable, but play-in games 4 times in a row!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
this actually turned into a pretty decent game

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

this actually turned into a pretty decent game

Which team can turn it over less down the stretch?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hey, that was a pretty nifty behind the back pass

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This game is really bad but it's fascinating.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Rip semo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
SEMO got a good look on that 3

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

PostNouveau posted:

SEMO got a good look on that 3

Yup was coming here to post that. Can’t really ask for much better given the situation.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Avery I agree with "we're in for it" before the long pause and "some exciting basketball."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I do not think this A&M-CC team has any UMBC in them.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MSU was one of the worst 3 pt shooting teams, so of course they’re over 50% right now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m at UD arena right now and I’m still mad the islanders I rooted for all game are from texas? Do they not know what an island is???

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Don't usually have two giant stinkers back to back until the actual tournament.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I've set up a goons bracket challenge.

Numbers are getting there for the men's, but I'd love for it to be more than two of us in the women's bracket challenge.

Goons 2023 bracket challenge up and running

Password: fuckduke

Also a women's bracket challenge if anyone wants to do that

Group is Goons 2023
Password: sagoons

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m at UD arena right now and I’m still mad the islanders I rooted for all game are from texas? Do they not know what an island is???

The campus is on a weird little promontory that is not an island but Mustang Island is right there and there’s barrier islands all the way up to Galveston and down to South Padre

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Oh, so here’s that bad 3 point shooting team. Man I hope Pitt wins because ISUs offense against the MSU defense is going to be awful.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Well now we know how Steve Adams hurt his knee.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Heartbreaking.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

another great look spurned. good first day

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Texas Southern, sigh

poor Grambling

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
This is hosed up and rigged

https://twitter.com/jonschaeffer/status/1636148855442927616?t=tb9hmD7fPc3HLLAJWoIA5Q&s=19

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

please keep this competitive Nevada

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I've got high hopes for unr here. Historically this has been a poor strat, but don't worry. This is the year!!!!

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Extended family is doing a bracket pool thing. I have no idea whatsoever about NCAA teams at this point. Can anyone recommend a primer or pre-done bracket to start from?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Extended family is doing a bracket pool thing. I have no idea whatsoever about NCAA teams at this point. Can anyone recommend a primer or pre-done bracket to start from?

The joy of March Madness is that people like you have just as good of a chance as anyone that has an avatar of a college basketball player. The lower the seed, the better quality of wins and losses that teams has comparatively. Don't pick all low numbers, but don't have a round of 16 filled with double-digits. Aside from putting all 1s and 2s to the second round, have fun with it.

But that's filling out the bracket. You also need to be able to talk poo poo about your bracket picks. Make sure literally everyone knows about the upsets you did call. Oh, you're entire Final Four lost in the opening round? Who cares, you put VCU in the Sweet Sixteen.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Good thing Nevada made it.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

MixMasterMalaria posted:

go with vibes, go with god

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MixMasterMalaria posted:

If I don't know anything about the matchup I look at points allowed and points scored and if a team scores more than a team allows on average I pick them; if it's not definitive I generally go with the better defensive team. It's usually enough to do slightly above average. I can do better than average if I actually watch the sport and have some godo feels about some matchups, and have won some pools here and there but that is a cruel form of self-harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Replay makes everything look dirty as gently caress but I think in real time no one meant anything (but it's still a flagrant by rule). The ref throwing his shoulders up is a bad look.