Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Robo Rally, 1994

To me it's the ideal game more or less. You've got to plan both long and short term, the boards look great and using the card-programming instead of dice leaves in just enough randomness to force you to replan on the fly, but not enough randomness that it's the only deciding factor in who wins. It's also hard for someone to build up so much of a lead that someone else can't screw up their plans in some way. I know there are a bunch of expansions and later editions, but I really just feel like the original is already great as it is. The only change I can think of is that the rules for acquiring equipment cards leave a bit to be desired, since it's almost never worth it to waste your time getting one of those rather than just getting ahead, and some of them really add some fun new options, and the one thing I usually end up house ruling when playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Blamestorm posted:

Or even Catan!

You know, I feel like Catan has somehow ended up as a punchline to making fun of boardgames more than anything people play these days. I've played it a few times and found it a pretty inoffensive, chill experience that even newbies could get into pretty easy without a lot of explaining needed. Did something change or is it just a polite riffing in the board game community rather than a serious critique?