Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for March, 2023?
This poll is closed.
Yuji Nagata (Triple Crown Champion) 0 0%
:pilot:Josh Alexander (Impact World Champion) 1 1.02%
:kiddo: Kaito Kiyomiya (FORMER GHC Champion) 1 1.02%
:viconia: Jake Lee (GHC Champion) 0 0%
Giulia (World of Stardom Champion) 2 2.04%
:abuela: Mickie James (Impact Knockouts Champion) 0 0%
:murder: Nick Gage (FORMER GCW Champion) 0 0%
Masha Slamovich (GCW Champion) 9 9.18%
:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) 15 15.31%
:axe: Baliyan Akki (FORMER Super Asia Champion) 1 1.02%
Hagane Shinnou (Super Asia Champion) 0 0%
:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (ROH World Champion) 6 6.12%
:hayter: Jamie Hayter (AEW Women's Champion) 9 9.18%
:btroll: Yuji Hino (KO-D Openweight Champion) 1 1.02%
:krad: Kaito Ishida (G-REX Champion) 0 0%
:smug: MJF (AEW Champion) 31 31.63%
Shun Skywalker (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 2 2.04%
Yuka Sakazaki (FORMER Princess of Princess Champion) 1 1.02%
Mizuki (Princess of Princess Champion) 15 15.31%
:oh: None of the Above 4 4.08%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

50 votes. Kazuchika Okada won, a record 27th time. That's great, but Jesus Christ that's a pathetic vote total. People say it's because you can't vote on the mobile app. Well they should fix that then! I hope more people vote this month, and I'll leave the poll open for 5 days to hopefully eke out at least a few more votes. New Japan dominated with 64% of the vote (and 3rd places's All Japan's Triple Crown Champion was New Japan Dad Yuji Nagata!) with Mercedes Mone coming within only two votes of equaling Okada. However, neither Okada nor Mercedes defended their titles in March, so the New Japan streak ends this month!

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Bianca Belair (Raw Women's), Charlotte Flair (Smackdown Women's), Kazuchika Okada (New Japan), Mercedes Mone (IWGP Women's), Roman Reigns (WWE) did not defend their titles this month and are temporarily removed from the poll. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

Yuji Nagata (Triple Crown Champion) - Though it wasn't as well recieved as his title victory over Miyahara, Nagata was able to retain his late-career championship win (is All Japan NOAH now?) by defeating Shuji Ishikawa on Night 3 of the Dream Power series.

:pilot:Josh Alexander (Impact World Champion) - Though Alexander was able to successfully retain his title against KENTA, it was a sad end to his reign nonetheless, as a tricep injury forced him to vacate his title, which will now be up for grabs at Rebellion in April. Alexander has been a workhorse since gaining the title, and it's a shame it had to end this way... for now.

:kiddo: Kaito Kiyomiya (FORMER GHC Champion) - :cripes:

:viconia: Jake Lee (GHC Champion) - It looks like Lee's shift from All Japan to NOAH paid off, as he added the GHC Championship to his list of accolades, along with his former runs as Triple Crown Champion. Lee hasn't exactly set the world on fire in NOAH so far, but thanks to being older than Kaito Kiyomiya the NOAH bookers were powerless not to put him over, and now he gets a chance to show what he's got before some old gently caress gets grumpy and refuses to put him over.

Giulia (World of Stardom Champion) - Having defeated old (very young!) Ice Ribbon peer Suzu Suzuki, Giulia went on to face Maya Yukihi but could not get the win over her, as they went to a Double-Countout at Triangle Derby.

:abuela: Mickie James (Impact Knockouts Champion) - Mickie James, who had been within a 3 count of ending her career at Hard to Kill, continued her championship reign with a win over Gisele Shaw.

:murder: Nick Gage (FORMER GCW Champion) - Gage's third title reign ended 5 months after he gained it back in a match that had threatened to end his GCW Career. After beating Lio Rush, George South, Cole Radrick, Tony Deppen and Speedball Mike Bailey over the course of late 2022/early 2023, he finally fell against Masha Slamovich at the Eye for an Eye PPV.

Masha Slamovich (GCW Champion) - The new champion didn't rest on her laurels, going on to defend her title successfully two more times in March, beating Speedball Mike Bailey at Worst Behavior before finishing up the month with a win over Steph De Lander at Joey Janela's Spring Break.

:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) - Delightfully deranged, Athena went toe to toe with Emi Sakura and then Yuka Sakazaki in a matter of days, warning the "porcelain hussy" Sakazaki that she was going to smash her (which she did literally when she stomped on a porcelain doll to start the match!). Sakazaki's attempts to get a replacement belt for her lost Princess of Princess Championship failed, as Athena was able to beat her... but her TJPW opponents aren't done with yet, as she's already scheduled to face Miyu Yamashita (hell yeah!)

:axe: Baliyan Akki (FORMER Super Asia Champion) - A year+ title reign finally ended in March, as Akki's Super Asia Championship reign ended in 24 minutes against Hagane Shinnou.

Hagane Shinnou (Super Asia Champion) Shinnou, who has INCREDIBLE hair, hasn't yet defended the title. Will their reign last as long or be as successful as Akki's? Only time will tell!

:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (ROH World Champion) - Claudio started and ended the month in the same way, with successful defenses of his title, but in VERY different ways. One victory, over AR Fox to kick off the first ROH on Honor Club, seemed inevitable. The second was the opposite, as all logic seemed to dictate an Eddie Kingston victory... but it was Claudio who won it, though it failed to settle any of the animosity between them. With Eddie vowing to keep coming for him, and new Pure champion Shibata also taking an interest in the ROH Championship, Claudio's dance card remains full.

:hayter: Jamie Hayter (AEW Women's Champion) - Things weren't settled at Revolution, where despite winning a Triple Threat against Ruby Soho and Saraya, Hayter found herself outnumbered as Soho joined ranks with Saraya and Toni Storm as outsiders for a war against AEW's homegrown talent, with Hayter (and Riho with a pipe!) leading the defense against them.

:btroll: Yuji Hino (KO-D Openweight Champion) - Hino went beefy boy mode against fellow big boy Yukio Naya at the ridiculously long Judgement show for DDT, where despite the show running for 5 hours he managed to keep the crowd heavily invested as he and Naya battered the poo poo out of each other before Hino, who may in fact be a mountain wearing a human suit, conquered.

:krad: Kaito Ishida (G-REX Champion) - In his first defense since beating El Lindaman, Ishida retained the title in a match against KAZMA SAKAMOTO, whose name is very loud.

:smug: MJF (AEW Champion) - He barely ever wrestles, his promos are too long, he ALWAYS cheats to get his win... but holy gently caress what a match when he DID finally wrestle! Going over an hour with one of the greatest wrestlers of all time, MJF ended up making desperate use of an oxygen tank to get the final sudden death win over Bryan Danielson to retain the title and get bragging rights for YEARS to come, as he not only went the full hour plus but more than held his own in an absolutely incredible match.

Shun Skywalker (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - Skywalker defeated Strong Machine J to retain his title.

Yuka Sakazaki (FORMER Princess of Princess Champion) - Yuka finally met her match both in the ring and in terms of chaotic evil, as her best friend and frequent tag partner Mizuki was able to defeat her to gain the title. Sakazaki embraced her friend and gave her support to end the show after losing her belt.... and then stood ominously in the background watching darkly as Mizuki celebrated in front of the crowd. There's a doings-a-transpiring!

Mizuki (Princess of Princess Champion) - This loving rabbit I swear to God....

:oh: None of the Above - If it breaks your heart a little to see the champions on offer, or you just want to see the results, then none of the above is the option for you!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i want everyone to vote for mizuki on this one. you don't have to

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don't know the next time I can vote for the guy in my avatar, so I voted for the Walking Weapon. It helped that his match with KENTA was really good.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think he will retain the roh championship for another few months. just kidding. good luck to your favorite man

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Yuji

loving

Hino

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Masha :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He needs to go for that World Title!

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Voted for the most consistently good this month in terms of matches and character. Athena is on a roll right now

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Voted Mizuki, partly because Arisa Nakajima isn't a choice, partly out of tactical voting. Because Giulia vs Yukihi was better than Yuka vs Mizuki but hey, when there's no Kento I'm willing to compromise

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Voted for the most consistently good this month in terms of matches and character. Athena is on a roll right now

Yep, this was my thinking too. Almost went with MJF, but as high as his highs were he's also had some significant misses. Athena is a delight to watch every time she's out there.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

If you’re not voting for Kaito, you should be questioning your life choices.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

edogawa rando posted:

The lad's used to humiliating losses, one more won't hurt him

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I voted for that loving Rabbit!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

edogawa rando posted:

I still haven't actually watched the Jake match. Which I should, because Kaito singles matches always entertain me even if the booking is dogshit

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Numero6 posted:

I voted for that loving Rabbit!

:same:

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Voted none in protest of Tony Khan's No Good, Very Bad Booking of the ROH main event.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

mjf danielson iron match is a classic and i must vote for mjf

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Basing this on which champ I have enjoyed most in March it's Athena by a country mile. Heeling is great. Heeling like it's the funniest and best poo poo in the world is even better.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

the real champ is jerusalem for doing this for so many years but you aren't an option :smith:

voted mjf because he's the closest to being a goon

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well we're a day in and we've already exceeded last month's pathetically low vote total, thank you all! :)

There are 4 more days to vote, and it's pretty close as things currently stand, so who knows where 4 days may find us?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

I usually go for a puro champ but I gotta give it up for Athena. She's been awesome this past month. ROH is so good right now.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
don't blame me I voted for Mizuki

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Suplex Liberace posted:

mjf danielson iron match is a classic and i must vote for mjf

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

MJF/Danielson was legit one of the best American wrestling matches I've ever seen so I must break my loyalty to Shun and vote for MJF.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Happy to see a somewhat more respectable vote total so far, still 3 days to go to get YOUR vote in (yes, you!)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i disrespect the totals.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bumping to remind you that you have a couple more days to get your sweet, sweet votes in!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there is still enough time to equal the total number of votes for january and february's champions, here, in april, where we're voting for the champion of the month of march. so :letsgo:

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

I feel gross

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I believe in you, Kaito!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A day to go, will that loving rabbit destroy Athena's dreams of a 2nd place finish? Only YOUR vote will decide!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A new month and finally a respectable vote total! Almost doubling last month's pathetic 50 votes, we saw a good range of wrestling champions represented, but with Okada not eligible for the month his 2 month streak HAD to come to an end... and boy did it! AEW's MJF dominated the poll on the strength of his incredible 60+ minute match against Bryan Danielson, doubling his nearest competition. ROH's Athena and TJPW's Mizuki equaled 2nd place following a successful retention and win respectively, with AEW's Jamie Hayter and new GCW Champion Masha Slamovich rounding out the top 3 with their equal result. The M in March stands for GotoMJF though, he may be a smug son of a bitch but he's also a hell of a wrestler who proved he can do it with the best of the best for as long as he needs to. Next month sees the fallout from Wrestlemania and a return of the IWGP Champion(s?) to the poll, but March of 2023 is now and will forever remain Maxwell Jacob Friedman's, who was better than everybody else, and 31.63% of us knew it.

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Next month sees the fallout from Wrestlemania

April could have been Cody's month....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

fez_machine posted:

April could have been Cody's month....

Cody and MJF side by side for all eternity, stolen from us by a deranged old man.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Should we just run the April poll now and give it to the IWGP champ?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Should we just run the April poll now and give it to the IWGP champ?

gently caress no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The April Poll is, however, up NOW!