Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

going off grid for the weekend, only gonna have 4g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Haven’t been camping since I was a kid, and it was always New Hampshire white trash camping where your tent was like 10 feet away from the next tent in some lovely campground with Budweiser cans all over the place.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I go canoe camping with a group of guys every year in Wisconsin. Spend several hours paddling down the river taking in nature's splendor, get out and hang my hammock for sleeping. One year I got to see a group of river otters. It's pretty great.

Also, just so everyone knows, hammocks > tents.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I’ll camp for a little sometimes just to help my k/d ratio a bit. It’s not spawn camping at least. Also trying to bring teabagging back. TO GET MA BALLZ OUT YA FACE—-GET BETTER

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I just bought a hammock gonna give that a try.

I was gonna go camping today but my partner is out of town and I couldn't find anyone to go with last min and now it's a heat wave and idk if I wanna camp when it's this hot.

Instead I'm gonna spend the morning biking and swimming and then BBQ and when it gets hot as balls I'm gonna go home and play switch until later and then go to a concert and bring friends home from that and have a fire in the back yard and trip balls.

So basically all the fun parts of camping without having to pitch a tent.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Pro tips for camping:

Bring a premade bagged salad.

A welders mit so you can just grab that log in th fire and move it instead of loving around with a fire poker.

Bring baby wipes.

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I’m reading the Bible so I can teach the zombies about Heaven.

EvilJoven posted:

I just bought a hammock gonna give that a try.
I hope everybody reading this finds as much contentment today as this person will.

zone
Dec 6, 2016
Haven't gone camping in a long rear end time, but now I feel nostalgic for the camping trips we did in the hill country

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m pitching a tent right now, op

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

I haven't been camping since 2020. There's a work camping trip happening in July but lmao I'm not going camping with those people, I already spend a third of my week with them.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

:gooncamp:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Best smilie ever?
I think so

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
One of the funniest camping trips I've done was to a state park that was infested with racoons. We got there late, had to park outside and jump the locked gate with all our gear. To our credit we did fill out the registration slip and paid our campsite fees.

We were the only people there. We picked a sweet site and got our party on. Campfire, food, drinking, music, and weed.
There was a picnic table at the site with one side facing the campfire, so a few were sitting there. The table was covered in food and condiments that we hadn't put away. A bit after it got dark the racoons showed up, literally on the picnic table a couple feet behind people, scrounging through the food.

We chased them off and put our coolers/food in one of those steel bear-proof boxes the campsite had. They still kept coming around though. We eventually crash out to sleep. It was warm so we didn't bother with tents; just a large tarp, our sleeping pads and bags. There was some deliberation on who got to sleep in the middle and who had to sleep on the sides.

Of course at roughly 3 AM one of us wakes up and starts screaming. 2 racoons were walking all over us. For the record, racoons seem all cute and fuzzy when they are at a distance; but when they are walking on you its like a vicious medium sized dog that might tear your throat out. We all freak out and scare them away. One just went about 20' away and then turned and stared at us, for like 2 minutes. We eventually shooed it away. We arranged the tarp so that we could roll it over ourselves for extra protection and went back to sleep.

In the morning the camp's ranger comes by, and didn't care at all that we'd hopped the gate. We mentioned the racoons and he was all, "Oh yeah they are horrible here, way too brave and smart. We tried relocating a few of them but they always come back." We mentioned if we ever came back we'd get there earlier so we could stash our food in our cars when we were done with dinner. He said, "Yeah that works because then they just climb all over your car; not you." Good times.

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 27, 2023

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Turns out I had no G's at all!

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

numberoneposter posted:

Turns out I had no G's at all!

Looks like a pretty sweet spot there numberoneposter! I hope you had fun.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im headed to Idaho in 2 weeks to raft the salmon river. 5 solid days with no contact from the outside world. should be dope.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I kinda wanted to try stealth camping this summer. I'll need to practice for the day I abandon my family and fake my own death.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

I wanna camp in the Angeles national forest but the rain washed out my favorite campground.

Anyone know good, secluded camping spots?

Edit: in southern California

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I kinda wanted to try stealth camping this summer. I'll need to practice for the day I abandon my family and fake my own death.
get good at tarps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Db-QURjvU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Don't worry, if the cops are called you won't need the practice.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Don't forget your camp shoes.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I went camping a few weeks ago and got ticked. Went to a clinic for some pills I feel fine but I really don't want to become a limey :(

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i only go camping so i can wow the other campers with my practical katana bushwacking skills

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPDvLaXuSHQ

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i organized a big-rear end group campout this coming weekend. something like twenty of us are going to descend on a couple of group campsites at a state park. super looking forward to this

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

taking acid in the woods whips rear end

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i could stealth camp at that exact roundabout as well :canada:

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My dog sucks big time at camping and hates it, one of his worst qualities really

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

I hate campers play the game right or don't play at all

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

HORNEY VAPE BRO posted:

I hate campers play the game right or don't play at all

Lobbing grenades AND shooting rockets to spawns is playing the game right :c00lbutt:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

i could stealth camp at that exact roundabout as well :canada:

Get a shopping cart full of empties and you can easily camp anywhere

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Spaghett posted:

I wanna camp in the Angeles national forest but the rain washed out my favorite campground.

Anyone know good, secluded camping spots?

Edit: in southern California

It's a bit further north than you may want, but Ansel Adams Wilderness south of Yosemite is some beautiful high mountain country. Campgrounds at all of the trail heads are wonderful. May be crowded this time of year and reservations are needed, by Fall they get empty and you can just roll in.

You can camp and do day hikes up to timber line, or stay low and hike and fish and swim along the rivers.

The further you hike, the fewer people you see, and it becomes your own personal playground.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I did Silver Lake near June Lake

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Internetjack posted:

The further you hike, the fewer people you see, and it becomes your own personal playground.

Until you run into Larry, the rusty hatchet murderer.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Szyznyk posted:

Until you run into Larry, the rusty hatchet murderer.

That would be my good friend who always insisted on carrying one of those huge Rambo knives on his hip. The thing was like 2 pounds of steel.

E: he also liked to wear his Bad Religion t-shirt excessively.

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 1, 2023

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I’m reading the Bible so I can teach the zombies about Heaven.

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I did Silver Lake near June Lake

I bet you had the most tranquil moments out there just taking it all in…

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

This is the video that taught me stealth camping was a thing and lead to me looking funny at every bush or copse of trees after watching too many of those videos.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

large hands posted:

Get a shopping cart full of empties and you can easily camp anywhere
lol like im hauling my life savings through beacon hill park

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Chinatown posted:

im headed to Idaho in 2 weeks to raft the salmon river. 5 solid days with no contact from the outside world. should be dope.
that sounds awesome. we did a "portage" trip that connected five or more lakes with trails in between two summers ago, we took about 5 days doing it too, i like to chill while backpacking, no offense to people who like to charge through thats not what i like to do. hiking through a forest with a canoe over your head isn't super fun, but you just need to accept that its hard work and get over it.

but you get to do some cool things (and i dont particularly like paddling) and you get to some cool rear end places

drat now that i look at it ive done a poo poo load of camping and backpacking lol, gave up the bike, put on the boots and grabbed the pack

i still love the bicycle

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

I grew up in a woodsy remote environment so the classic cabin in the woods horror setting makes me feel nostalgic

late night drives near trees away from people with no street lights are like my favorite and I’ve scared road trip friends repeatedly because what’s spooky? this is normal let’s get out and walk around a little