Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
One of the funniest camping trips I've done was to a state park that was infested with racoons. We got there late, had to park outside and jump the locked gate with all our gear. To our credit we did fill out the registration slip and paid our campsite fees.

We were the only people there. We picked a sweet site and got our party on. Campfire, food, drinking, music, and weed.
There was a picnic table at the site with one side facing the campfire, so a few were sitting there. The table was covered in food and condiments that we hadn't put away. A bit after it got dark the racoons showed up, literally on the picnic table a couple feet behind people, scrounging through the food.

We chased them off and put our coolers/food in one of those steel bear-proof boxes the campsite had. They still kept coming around though. We eventually crash out to sleep. It was warm so we didn't bother with tents; just a large tarp, our sleeping pads and bags. There was some deliberation on who got to sleep in the middle and who had to sleep on the sides.

Of course at roughly 3 AM one of us wakes up and starts screaming. 2 racoons were walking all over us. For the record, racoons seem all cute and fuzzy when they are at a distance; but when they are walking on you its like a vicious medium sized dog that might tear your throat out. We all freak out and scare them away. One just went about 20' away and then turned and stared at us, for like 2 minutes. We eventually shooed it away. We arranged the tarp so that we could roll it over ourselves for extra protection and went back to sleep.

In the morning the camp's ranger comes by, and didn't care at all that we'd hopped the gate. We mentioned the racoons and he was all, "Oh yeah they are horrible here, way too brave and smart. We tried relocating a few of them but they always come back." We mentioned if we ever came back we'd get there earlier so we could stash our food in our cars when we were done with dinner. He said, "Yeah that works because then they just climb all over your car; not you." Good times.

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Spaghett posted:

I wanna camp in the Angeles national forest but the rain washed out my favorite campground.

Anyone know good, secluded camping spots?

Edit: in southern California

It's a bit further north than you may want, but Ansel Adams Wilderness south of Yosemite is some beautiful high mountain country. Campgrounds at all of the trail heads are wonderful. May be crowded this time of year and reservations are needed, by Fall they get empty and you can just roll in.

You can camp and do day hikes up to timber line, or stay low and hike and fish and swim along the rivers.

The further you hike, the fewer people you see, and it becomes your own personal playground.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Szyznyk posted:

Until you run into Larry, the rusty hatchet murderer.

That would be my good friend who always insisted on carrying one of those huge Rambo knives on his hip. The thing was like 2 pounds of steel.

E: he also liked to wear his Bad Religion t-shirt excessively.

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 1, 2023