Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

John Scalzi has definitely written some better stuff than that. I think the Kline conspiracy theory is only around because everyone's trying to imitate that style, given how popular it was.

I've always hoped 372 would do The Starlight Barking (sequel to 101 Dalmatians).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kangra posted:

John Scalzi has definitely written some better stuff than that. I think the Kline conspiracy theory is only around because everyone's trying to imitate that style, given how popular it was.

I've always hoped 372 would do The Starlight Barking (sequel to 101 Dalmatians).

Not exactly a high bar to clear. I tried reading The Kaiju Preservation Society because its premise was right up my alley and drat near threw it against the wall because every line of dialog was a quippy Joss Whedonism or a terrible "They fly now? ...They fly now!" call and response between characters. Just insufferable after a very short while.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Shadow Moon keeps the crown!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

jeeves posted:

Shadow Moon keeps the crown!

I don't think anything is going to ever steal Shadow Moon's crown for just how weird and awful and hateful it was just over all. Maybe Bob Honey?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

nine-gear crow posted:

I don't think anything is going to ever steal Shadow Moon's crown for just how weird and awful and hateful it was just over all. Maybe Bob Honey?

Bob Honey was mercifully short.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah I think Shadow Moon edges out Bob Honey by just being so loving miserably long.

I didn’t read alone to Artemis but it sounds like this was a slog too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Shadow Moon was actually where I first started to fall off the podcast purely because it was so miserable and it just never seemed to end. Listening to them describe a series of events that ended in a character once and soon to be again played by Warwick Davis killing a dog and kicking a 12 year old boy's teeth in in a fit of rage for little discernible reason was my breaking point.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 1, 2023

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Bob Honey is what broke me. I think it took me two years to return after that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Shadow Moon was actually where I first started to fall off the podcast purely because it was so miserable and it just never seemed to end. Listening to them describe a series of events that ended in a character once and soon to be again played by Warwick Davis killing a dog and kicking a 12 year old boy's teeth in in a fit of rage for little discernible reason was my breaking point.

Did LucasFilms have any oversight on that book or did they just let Claremont go hog wild? (Note, you must never under any circumstance let Claremont go hog wild.)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Lucas got absolutely lucky that Timothy Zahn was a competent pulp scifi author for his trilogy that he did in 1992-1993. Those books were absolute best sellers, and completely brought Star Wars back into public consciousness.

Lucas then just green lighted anything to help milk dat money because he didn’t give a loving poo poo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yes, that obscure property Star Wars was completely forgotten in the early 90s.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

No, Jeeves is right. The Star Wars field before the Zahn trilogy was really barren. The only thing consistently coming out for it was the West End Games RPG.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

No, Jeeves is right. The Star Wars field before the Zahn trilogy was really barren. The only thing consistently coming out for it was the West End Games RPG.

Yeah, Star Wars in the early 90's was a dead property. There were tons of fans salivating for more Star Wars stuff, but for some reason it wasn't being used at all. It's probably why we got good stuff like the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games. As soon as work started on Phantom Menace, though, the already shaky quality of Star Wars media went right off a cliff.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
See “1987-1991: the Dark Times” in this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_in_other_media

The Zahn books (1991-92) made a shocking amount of money out of no where and basically surprised everyone.

Shadow Moon was published in 1995, so basically the squarely in the “oh poo poo people want to pay money for this garbage quick push any garbage we can out!” era of Lucas.

Edit: Case in point, this horrid loving poo poo was published in 1994, and it would be a good contender for a 372 Pages book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crystal_Star

jeeves fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 2, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jeeves posted:

Edit: Case in point, this horrid loving poo poo was published in 1994, and it would be a good contender for a 372 Pages book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crystal_Star

Following one of the best books in the EU, too. Wild.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is that the one with Luuuuuuuke?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mordja posted:

No that was the Thrawn trilogy

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mordja posted:

No, it's the one about a blob that sucks energy running a cult that Luke joins and is written by an award winning SF author (and I happened to hate every book that she won an award for). The Star Wars book podcast Expounded Universe did one of their early series on it and it's it's a ride.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Random Stranger posted:

No, it's the one about a blob that sucks energy
Don't doxx me bro.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

No, it's the one about a blob that sucks energy running a cult that Luke joins and is written by an award winning SF author (and I happened to hate every book that she won an award for). The Star Wars book podcast Expounded Universe did one of their early series on it and it's it's a ride.

Also there are werewolves!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dawgstar posted:

Also there are werewolves!

Weird, there were werewolves in one of the only Star Wars books I ever read too, I, Jedi.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Does anyone remember Mike's story about meeting Tony Danza and saying something about Going Ape that made him really mad? I couldn't find it searching on the patreon and after watching Going Ape I wanted to revisit it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Does anyone remember Mike's story about meeting Tony Danza and saying something about Going Ape that made him really mad? I couldn't find it searching on the patreon and after watching Going Ape I wanted to revisit it.

That feels like the archetypal Mike story. Well, after admitting the only time he went into a head shop was to look for an album of classic music when he was a teenager.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

I feel like there's been a few "Mike meets a famous person and pisses them off somehow" stories over the year on 372 Pages.

It just feels like it's an unintentionally recurring bit.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

nine-gear crow posted:

I feel like there's been a few "Mike meets a famous person and pisses them off somehow" stories over the year on 372 Pages.

It just feels like it's an unintentionally recurring bit.

Like pissing off Lloyd Bridges just because his name was Mike Nelson.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My mom always did wonder if Mike's parents were big fans of Sea Hunt.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Kangra posted:

hey guess what the next book is

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Breadallelogram posted:

hey guess what the next book is

Wow, I just saw the update. I didn't even suggest it to them, just was hoping for it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kangra posted:

Wow, I just saw the update. I didn't even suggest it to them, just was hoping for it.

I can only imagine a sequel to 101 Dalmatians is as pointless as the prequel was. Excited to find out.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Haha there was a prequel too? Or do you just mean the puppykiller movie?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mordja posted:

Haha there was a prequel too? Or do you just mean the puppykiller movie?

Yeah, the movie. I remember laughing myself silly when Cruella's mentor(?) was killed by Dalmatians, a famously unaggressive dog breed but it was all in the service of hashtag girlboss.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Isn’t Dogstar the name of Keanu’s band?

Also please don’t correct me because I choose to believe that it is now.

Edit: holy poo poo it is. Why would this knowledge be floating around in my brain?

Edit Edit: okay I’ve already completely forgotten the name of this book and it thought it was named something to do with “Dogstar”

jeeves fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 22, 2023

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

jeeves posted:

Isn’t Dogstar the name of Keanu’s band?

Also please don’t correct me because I choose to believe that it is now.

Edit: holy poo poo it is. Why would this knowledge be floating around in my brain?

Edit Edit: okay I’ve already completely forgotten the name of this book and it thought it was named something to do with “Dogstar”

There is a Dog Star in the book. I'm about 1/3 through and haven't seen it yet.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
New book, new episode, though Mike's recording from inside a tin can.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The first 30 minutes or so of this episode have me convinced that Mike and Connor have never owned a large and energetic dog before. Because yes those dogs will sit on your bed and shake it until you wake up.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Can't pretend I expected an authoritarian canine coup to happen in the first few chapters of the 101 Dalmatians sequel but here we are. :dogstare:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am genuinely impressed how barring maybe or or two every pre planned bit on this podcast is just genuinely awful and yet the rest remains pretty funny.

There are two on the new episode and both are just awful. Also they insulted Bosch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

I am genuinely impressed how barring maybe or or two every pre planned bit on this podcast is just genuinely awful and yet the rest remains pretty funny.

There are two on the new episode and both are just awful. Also they insulted Bosch.

It's very ironic that they constantly harp on the authors running potentially funny jokes into the ground only to absolutely strangle the life out of any potential humor to be found in those like 4-minute plus skits, holy poo poo.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
They had a good bit a while back, I think the joke was someone in the writing room was punching up scripts with humor when the situation did not call for it

Anyway Mike was pretending to be an army commander or something and was giving his troops a pep talk. "Alright guys we're going up against the ugliest, meanest, stupidest enemy commander...wait a minute...he's standing right behind me, isn't he???"

I'm butchering the joke but I did not see the punchline coming and laughed really hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

They do have some funny jokes in there, but take too long to get to them. Or it's something where they've done it to death (e.g. it was only amusing the first few times they escalated the 'paying the actors' bit) and it just needs to stop. I can see if someone doesn't find the jokes funny at all it'd feel even more interminable.