Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

What is it?
372 Pages We'll Never Get Back is a podcast hosted by Michael J. Nelson and Conor Lastowka of RiifTrax semi-fame in which they read and mock bad literature. Well, *technically* they go in with an open mind so there's always the possibility that one of the books they read will actually be good, but so far they're batting 1000. The pod was named in reference to the first novel they covered, Ernest Cline's execrable Ready Player One, but as of this writing they've gone through over twenty works of absolute dreck, usually alternating between a big, professional title and a shorter, self-published piece of outsider-art.

What books have they tackled?
Have a big list:
Ready Player One
Armada
The Eye of Argon
Tekwar
The Forensic Certified Public Accountant and the Cremated 64-SQUARES Financial Statements
Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff
The Mister
Trucking Through Time
Lair of the White Worm
Shadow Moon
Moon People
Digital Fortress
My Immortal
Midnight Sun
Ready Player Two
The Quilters Push Back
Modelland
Irene Iddesleigh
Antigua: The Land of Fairies, Wizards and Heroes
Gump & Co.
Super Constitution
Murder in Christmas River
Edison’s Conquest of Mars

What's the worst thing they've read?
Oof, that's a tough one. I think it might still be Bob Honey, by famed Hollywood actor Sean Penn. It's just so bitter and thinks it's so much more clever and profound than it actually is.

What are they reading now?
Artemis, by the guy who wrote NYT best-seller, The Maritan. It stinks! This subsection will NOT be updated btw.

Why did they ever think people would read along with them?
Because Mike is an old man and doesn't realize that podcasts are just friendship simulators for the criminally insane.

Where is it?
They've got a website you can listen to it on and I assume it's available wherever you get all your other podcasts.

When is it out?
The podcast is roughly biweekly, usually with longer breaks between books.

Why do I feel the need to give them all my money?
Because you're a rube. Their Patreon is here: https://www.patreon.com/372pages

Mordja fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Just started this recently, up to the Willow book (excuse me, the Thorn book!), good times! I've read about half of these books before (not the Cline stuff, thank god!) and the choices so far have been pretty top notch. Eagerly awaiting catching up to Ready Player Two

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I read every book they cover and have submitted dumb sentences for almost every episode

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

best book they've covered: Eye of Argon - short, paints a sympathetic picture of the author as a nerdy teenager who's really bad at writing, greatest closing sentence in all of english literature

worst book they've covered: Shadow Moon - long and dull, sequel to a movie that's not even good (Willow), often feels like a generic fantasy novel that's just had Willow stuff inserted for franchise opportunities

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Breadallelogram posted:

worst book they've covered: Shadow Moon - long and dull, sequel to a movie that's not even good (Willow), often feels like a generic fantasy novel that's just had Willow stuff inserted for franchise opportunities

Shadow Moon was wild. Neither Mike nor Sean are big Willow fans (the only Willow fan being Crow) but even they point out just how... nothing the book has to do with the movie aside from the prologue. I remember trying to read it as a kid and kept thinking that everybody from the flick was dead was some kind of weird swerve.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Shadow Moon did give us the whole insane floor thing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Best book was The Forensic Certified Public Accountant and the Cremated 64-SQUARES Financial Statements, worst book was probably Digital Fortress just because the episodes kind of bored me. It's one of the more enjoyable podcasts out there but I also keep wondering why I still subscribe to the patreon because they don't do a ton on there, but whenever I think that they drop something that keeps me coming back because podcasts are indeed about imagined friendships.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've never seen nor read The Martian. Are either incarnations as insufferable as Artemis is?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mordja posted:

I've never seen nor read The Martian. Are either incarnations as insufferable as Artemis is?

I really liked the movie. There are times where the dialogue is a little insufferable and it feels like maybe this is from an annoying book, but it's a really fun movie.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I've seen the RP1 movie and thought it was bad but this podcast really illuminates how much worse the book is. Cline's style of writing and plotlines are beyond childish. RP2 somehow lowers the bar even more. No wonder there's no movie. Dude is pop culture poisoned.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sourdough Sam posted:

I've seen the RP1 movie and thought it was bad but this podcast really illuminates how much worse the book is. Cline's style of writing and plotlines are beyond childish. RP2 somehow lowers the bar even more. No wonder there's no movie. Dude is pop culture poisoned.

There is a movie in the works.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sourdough Sam posted:

Yeah, it is amazing that the pages of just '80's references list' made it into an actual published novel to be read by human beings. I still love how irritated Mike gets when Cline's writing how Wade says "our conversations were very witty and interesting" in a very tragic case of telling and not showing.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I liked conquest of mads as a historical curiosity that pointed to the future beliefs of different cults. Everything having vibrations, aliens making the pyramids, a lost race of space aryans, and more!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, it is amazing that the pages of just '80's references list' made it into an actual published novel to be read by human beings. I still love how irritated Mike gets when Cline's writing how Wade says "our conversations were very witty and interesting" in a very tragic case of telling and not showing.
Huh...As per the latest episode, there's a very similar thing in Artemis. Maybe the conspiracy is true! :tinfoil:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

RandomPauI posted:

I liked conquest of mads as a historical curiosity that pointed to the future beliefs of different cults. Everything having vibrations, aliens making the pyramids, a lost race of space aryans, and more!

Conquest of Mars is what made me download though I'm not there yet (still in Willow sequel-verse, another book I read as a kid and realized it was terrible), the book is serialized newspaper weirdness but has all this stuff is pioneered that a century of literature owes a debt to

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've never seen Willow, but I did read the novelization a bunch as a kid and liked that a bunch. It was not written by Claremont.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Always skip the "comedy" sketches they do. They're almost never funny and the minutes of build-up about how they got them off the dark web are excruciating.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Always skip the "comedy" sketches they do. They're almost never funny and the minutes of build-up about how they got them off the dark web are excruciating.

:wrong:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I come and go with this pod, sometimes the books are just fukken boring.

But hot drat is Artemis a return to form for them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

jeeves posted:

I come and go with this pod, sometimes the books are just fukken boring.

But hot drat is Artemis a return to form for them.

There's definitely a challenge to the book selection since they want a variety and it's a lot harder hard to scope out if a book is boring bad or crazy bad than it is for a movie. I'd say they're batting about .750 in their selections.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It does seem like Artemis is them getting back to form, which makes sense since it is so close to Ernest Cline in style. I recall reading a bit of The Martian and while it was clearly written by someone knowledgeable who did their research, it was also just as insufferable as this book.

The worst episodes for me, I think, were Moon People. I barely recall anything of that one except the Halloween launch day making people superstitious.

Has anyone actually read along? I finally read Eye of Argon since they were covering it, but nothing else (although I did read Dracula after they did LotWW).

(...said the robot pimp disdainfully.)

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

They lose me every time they do a cozy murder mystery, but they got me back on board with “There’s no age of consent laws on the moon.”

Kangra posted:

Has anyone actually read along? I finally read Eye of Argon since they were covering it, but nothing else (although I did read Dracula after they did LotWW).

(...said the robot pimp disdainfully.)

I tried to read Armada so i could submit some Real or Fanfics, but I gave up pretty much instantly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I tried to read Armada so i could submit some Real or Fanfics, but I gave up pretty much instantly.

Man, Armada was so bad. It boils down 'Remember the 80's' to 'Remember The Last Starfighter?'

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I read Tekwar (and several sequels) and Shadow Moon when I was a kid, Eye of Argon and Edison Conquers Mars a few years ago, and My Immortal at some point. I've seen snippits of Cline's work and ended up blocking the author on twitter who unsurprisingly namesearches. Haven't read the others though weirdly curious about the 64 Squares series because lol. In the last Shadow Moon episode today and realized I'll soon hit the point when covid hits like I've done on three other podcasts this past year I was catching up on now that I can listen to them at work more.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
The Eye of Argon episodes were great. It's truly the Manos of fantasy literature.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tars Tarkas posted:

I read Tekwar (and several sequels) and Shadow Moon when I was a kid, Eye of Argon and Edison Conquers Mars a few years ago, and My Immortal at some point. I've seen snippits of Cline's work and ended up blocking the author on twitter who unsurprisingly namesearches. Haven't read the others though weirdly curious about the 64 Squares series because lol. In the last Shadow Moon episode today and realized I'll soon hit the point when covid hits like I've done on three other podcasts this past year I was catching up on now that I can listen to them at work more.

Well the kids have to learn about TekWar sooner or later.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
While 64 Squares was my favorite book my absolute favorite episode is the first Super Constitution episode where it's all about sex and nymphos and joining the Air Force and they were just completely taken off guard. Especially because Mike is such a prude.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Great podcast. For the Patreon subscribers, how was the Forest Gump watch along?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dawgstar posted:

Well the kids have to learn about TekWar sooner or later.

I still hope they do more Tekwar books one of these days.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Another The Martian questions: did it have anything similar to Artemis's incessant "HEY DID YOU KNOW THE MOON HAS LESS GRAVITY?!" refrain?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
No, but it does have a lot of “hey here is a bunch of science you guys like science right?” segments.

I’m still in camp “Artemis was ghost written by you know who,” as his third book Project Hail Mary is way more like the Martian than this poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I also tried to do that, made it like 50 pages in and drove the book back to the library in a loving blizzard just to be rid of it, it was that insufferable. Submitted a Fanfic of Real entry anyway and Mike said I nailed Cline's lovely tone of voice perfectly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeeves posted:

No, but it does have a lot of “hey here is a bunch of science you guys like science right?” segments.

I’m still in camp “Artemis was ghost written by you know who,” as his third book Project Hail Mary is way more like the Martian than this poo poo.

If the story is true that he recommended his co-worker read Ready Player One instead of his own book he probably just really admired Cline and wanted to closer emulate his humor.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think the funniest thing about Artemis is when Weir just doesn't bother thinking through the most basic of facts, like how little money is at stake or the "floating" wrench or whatever that gets dropped. Especially considering his stuff is all, "gently caress Yeah Science!"

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Going back and listening to Super Constitution due to them constantly referencing it and... wow.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeeves posted:

Going back and listening to Super Constitution due to them constantly referencing it and... wow.

The first episode of Super Constitution came out the day I got COVID. I listened to like an hour of it and thought "This is the most insane book they've ever read" and then passed out. A week or so later something sparked in my brain and I remembered the new episode had come out, and that I listened to some of it. I just remember thinking "Wait wasn't there a bunch of nympho content???" and not being sure if I had regained my grip on reality.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Think I just found their next book...
https://twitter.com/misterbloat/status/1672967411136442371

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
That won an award? A real one and not the book equivalent of a Razzie?

I've never been prouder of being illiterate.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I am sad to report at the end of Artemis Chekov's condom did not pay off. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Bedurndurn posted:

That won an award? A real one and not the book equivalent of a Razzie?

I've never been prouder of being illiterate.

It sounds like it's a very late-career "we didn't recognize your earlier works BUT..." win, from what I recall.