Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Just drink it in, it is part of the charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jeeves posted:

They're your friends, doing a bit. It's fine. :unsmith:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's me, the guy who likes their cheesy skits. I'm part of the problem. :twisted:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

jeeves posted:

It's not charming at all though.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Just a reminder that there are people who out there that hate the host sketch segments of MST3K

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

jeeves posted:

Just a reminder that there are people who out there that hate the host sketch segments of MST3K

Those rarely ran themselves into the ground with the regularity of the 372 sketches. Also they didn't come with several minutes of painfully-forced introductory improv playing up some dumb conceit.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Poll for the next book is up on the patreon and the options are

The Missus
Redshirts

and The Adventures of the Teen Archaeologists by Larry and Denise.

You can guess which is winning.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I read Redshirts like 10 years ago or whatever and remember thinking "wtf why do people like this?"

It's the most like Ready Player One of the options, but of course I can see Teen Archaeologists winning!

I can't wait for Dogstar to be over, as I am seriously unable to pay attention to this stupid story.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 13, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It is over, and yeah, it was a little weak. Outside of the bizarre premise and authoritarian dog takeover, nothing much seemed to happen, and the prose itself was competent enough that there wasn't enough to mock.

The Mr. was one of the funniest they read so I'm fine with them revisiting a crowdpleaser.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 13, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jeeves posted:

I can't wait for Dogstar to be over, as I am seriously unable to pay attention to this stupid story.

Hey! Oh.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I want Larry and Denise to win because I loved Antigua so much but if The Missus wins I think it will be the first of these books I read along with.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

jeeves posted:

I read Redshirts like 10 years ago or whatever and remember thinking "wtf why do people like this?"

It's the most like Ready Player One of the options, but of course I can see Teen Archaeologists winning!

I hope Redshirts wins, Sclazi is a very Clineian writer and what I've read of his works really turned me off very quickly.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

I want Larry and Denise to win because I loved Antigua so much but if The Missus wins I think it will be the first of these books I read along with.

I actually ordered a used copy of Redshirts just in case it wins so I can read along. I spent some time reading every Hugo Award winner and it won the year after I finished that project and I wasn't too interested in going on with it then. It's not like many of the other books for the podcast where if I read along I'd want to throw the book out afterward.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
RedShirts is not as bad as like actual creepy Cline stuff, but it’s definitely not good.

However I think like Wil Wheaton did the audiobook, just like in ready player one. Never a good sign.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

When I looked at the patreon poll earlier today, Teen Archaeologists was winning with a healthy margin, but all 3 books were at 30-something%. I hope they get to all three of these at some point. Really good choices.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Breadallelogram posted:

When I looked at the patreon poll earlier today, Teen Archaeologists was winning with a healthy margin, but all 3 books were at 30-something%. I hope they get to all three of these at some point. Really good choices.

Given how The Missus and Teen Archeologists are by two returning champion 372 fan favorite authors, I can't help but see them each getting done at some point no matter which one wins the poll. The only one that's up in the air is Redshirts, which probably just needs more people to sell Mike and Connor on how easily Sclazi slides into a trifecta with Cline and Weir in terms of unearned nerd bravado cringe poo poo writing.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I just want another TekWar, said the robot pimp disdainfully.

Fezz fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 14, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fezz posted:

I just want another TekWar, said the robot pump disdainfully.

Them not going back to Tek or Titus Uno makes me sad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

Them not going back to Tek or Titus Uno makes me sad.

And I can sort of see why. Unless there's some real bangers of bonkersness in the other Titus Uno books, you kind of get everything you need to know about the series in 64 Squares, and doing two or more Titus Unos would just be insufferable because of all the auto-complete repetition. Not going back and finishing the Tek series though is a loving sin. I need to know how many more meetings about Sonny Hokori there are in the books before Sonny Hokori actually finally shows up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

nine-gear crow posted:

And I can sort of see why. Unless there's some real bangers of bonkersness in the other Titus Uno books, you kind of get everything you need to know about the series in 64 Squares, and doing two or more Titus Unos would just be insufferable because of all the auto-complete repetition. Not going back and finishing the Tek series though is a loving sin. I need to know how many more meetings about Sonny Hokori there are in the books before Sonny Hokori actually finally shows up.

Them getting mad about cut and paste was really funny and some of the other Titus Uno plots sounded really funny. Who's the Sheriff of 64 Squares is also one of the running gags that actually makes me laugh.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I think the simple fact that they would know what insanity to expect going into a sequel to something they’ve already covered kind of ruins it for them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeeves posted:

I think the simple fact that they would know what insanity to expect going into a sequel to something they’ve already covered kind of ruins it for them.

Then they wouldn't want to go back to EL James or Ernest or any of these incredibly repetitive writers.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I think they’re cursed to read whatever drivel Cline shits out next due to the original premise of the show. I don’t think they’ve done any other author twice otherwise yet?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I'd be down for more Tekwar but iirc the novels are more of the same they kill off Beth Kittridge in the 4th book and Jake's son becomes a major character. I can't remember when I stopped reading them but I know I didn't read them all

The trick of finding older bad novels that are weird, not boring, and not rapey is harder than you'd think

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Lair of the White Worm is one of my favorites just for how much of a nothing story it is. The mongoose and the kite just kill me every time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeeves posted:

I think they’re cursed to read whatever drivel Cline shits out next due to the original premise of the show. I don’t think they’ve done any other author twice otherwise yet?

I would buy this if the next book wasn't a repeat author and one of the other options in the poll another repeat they basically said they'd be doing in the future either way.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

I would buy this if the next book wasn't a repeat author and one of the other options in the poll another repeat they basically said they'd be doing in the future either way.

I was also gonna say that most of the 372 Pages library of authors don't really have follow-on books that could be explored, but no, actually, it seems like it's just Jim Theis, Charles E. Harris, and whoever the gently caress wrote My Immortal. Because even Amanda McKittrick Ros had two other novels to her name after Irene Irene Iddesleigh, somehow.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I don't think Tyra Banks has any other (fiction) books; I'm sure she has a memoir/self-help or something, though probably not the same author as Modelland.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kangra posted:

I don't think Tyra Banks has any other (fiction) books; I'm sure she has a memoir/self-help or something, though probably not the same author as Modelland.

Yeah, she (and by that I mean whoever ghostwrote Modelland for her)'s another one who's a one-and-done for them too. Bram Stoker's kind of off the table because Lair of the White Worm was his only dud. And I don't really see them going back and doing anything else from either Stephanie Meyer or Dan Brown because just like Cline, they have one style of writing and every book is basically the same for them, so there's nothing really interesting to dig into there from the rest of their repertoires. At least EL James is such a batshit trainwreck of an author (and a person) that The Missus is worth a look at.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://372pages.com/ep-151-the-adventures-of-the-teen-archeologists-intro

It's Teen Archeologists time, bay-be! How many loving repeated sentences are gonna be in Larry and Denise's lesser known opus THIS time?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

nine-gear crow posted:

https://372pages.com/ep-151-the-adventures-of-the-teen-archeologists-intro

It's Teen Archeologists time, bay-be! How many loving repeated sentences are gonna be in Larry and Denise's lesser known opus THIS time?

The first episode is up on the patreon and the first few chapters being set in "reality" makes their style even weirder than Antigua.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Very glad to have Larry & Denise back

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mordja posted:

Always exciting when the way to find the real entries in Real or Fanfic is to pick the ones that are too stupid to be fanfic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mordja posted:

I love that all their old staples are back with them: characters who all hate each other, endless simplistic repetition of ideas, not understanding basic geography, history or culture, and just piling on way too many characters than you could ever be expected to remember or give a poo poo about like they're just clowns spilling out of a clown car.

I'm halfway through Episode 1 right now and it's like, okay there's the three main teens, then two more join them because they're the kids of the family friend/local guide, that seems reasonable, five's a decent number for a group dynamic--AND THEN TWO RANDOM KIDS JOIN THEM OFF THE STREET FOR NO REASON! And they're basically just carbon copies of the first two additions. And I expect there's gonna be like five more teens joining them when they get to the lost civilization, in addition to the two or three whole characters that are in the prologue that just do nothing, and then disappear for the rest of the book.

I'm really starting to buy the theory that these books are just the published result of an editing war between Larry and Denise.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I bit on the same Real or Fan Fic that Mike bit on and got laughed at for in the latest episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Denise: You what's better than eight main characters, Larry?

Larry: [sips a big margarita] Ssssssfukkin EIGHTY MAIN CHARACTERS! *belch*

E: Like, for real, I'm actually kind of impressed by the Ellises' inability to understand what a protagonist is so they just wander in and out of viewpoints like a car drunkenly swerving all over the road. To the point where the alleged main character(s) just disappear from the story for hundreds of pages at a time because they get wrapped up in ten different minor characters' interlinking bullshit and they just loving forget who they were supposed to even be writing about in the first place. At least with Antigua you could realistically say the main character was supposed to be Rebecca, even though she's in like 1/10th of the book. I honestly could not tell you who the main character of Teen Archeologists is even if you put a gun to my head.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 28, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I forgot I ordered a copy of the Super Constitution Remix "How to Revive the Middle Class" so yesterday I open my mailbox to find a package from Top Wholesale Jewel that felt like a book was inside and I was really confused.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm a bit behind on this, so just finished Teen Archaeologists. I only realized after listening to the entirety of the third episode that I had completely missed the second episode. Having a completely new set of characters and situations was completely unsurprising to me; about all I noticed was that Mike & Conor seemed to be more familiar with Isabella than I would've thought, but I chalked it down to them having actually read the book.

MassRafTer posted:

I forgot I ordered a copy of the Super Constitution Remix "How to Revive the Middle Class" so yesterday I open my mailbox to find a package from Top Wholesale Jewel that felt like a book was inside and I was really confused.

But was it signed by the author himself?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kangra posted:

I'm a bit behind on this, so just finished Teen Archaeologists. I only realized after listening to the entirety of the third episode that I had completely missed the second episode. Having a completely new set of characters and situations was completely unsurprising to me; about all I noticed was that Mike & Conor seemed to be more familiar with Isabella than I would've thought, but I chalked it down to them having actually read the book.

But was it signed by the author himself?

It was!

You, and everyone on the free feed are in for a treat when the next episode comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I am literally sitting in front of a fireplace, wearing a sweater, drinking a big cup of tea. Usually I'd hold it by the handle but I cupped it in my palms to prepare for the new book.