Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

thankfully we have our reporters in the field to give us all of the latest updates on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Babe Magnet posted:

thankfully we have our reporters in the field to give us all of the latest updates on them

It's the only interesting thing going on with this game.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I bought this and completed the single player campaign right before Baldur's Gate 3 came out, and then a whole bunch of other good games came out, so I've barely touched it. Picked up again and... I think this is my least favourite MK since, uh... probably 4. While the game looks and controls great, I really don't like the kameos. I'm iffy on some of the character design. Admittedly I haven't played much but I have no idea how to unlock new fatalities/brutalities for characters. I kinda liked the customisation in 11 and it doesn't seem to be as interesting in this one. The purchasable cosmetics I've seen are ugly as gently caress to the point where the Diablo IV ones look good.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The problem I have with Invasions is the poorly-thought-out weakness/resistance system. I understand that it forces you to use different kharacters which is good but (I know I’ve said this before) the system is horribly unbalanced. There’s one kharacter with acid, apart from one of Shang Tsung’s attacks. I ended up using Reptile a ton because of all the kharacters weak to acid. Shao Khan’s attacks are physical unless you use his temporary buff, which turns them into Chaos elemental. If I recall correctly, Blood resists physical but is weak to Chaos so his attacks are reduced unless you use his buff, which wears off after a while and can wear off mid-combo. Really stupid tbh I’d probably like it more if it didn’t punish you with damage reduction if you use the wrong kharacters.

It’s also really repetitive and the rewards aren’t really that great. I had fun doing towers in MK11 but for whatever reason doing the towers in MK1 doesn’t appeal to me even though the kombat is a lot better and I like the kameo system. I don’t like to play online because I get unreasonably frustrated so there isn’t much of a reason for me to fire the game up.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

Admittedly I haven't played much but I have no idea how to unlock new fatalities/brutalities for characters.

You just play the character and they rank up. Fatalities and Brutalities give more experience as do Flawless victories. Flawless+Brutality gives the most.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Regrettable posted:

You just play the character and they rank up. Fatalities and Brutalities give more experience as do Flawless victories. Flawless+Brutality gives the most.

Thanks!

That still sucks a whole lot compared to 11 where I could do basically anything in the game and get currency to unlock things in the crypt. I mostly play MK with friends when they come over so it's nice to have all of the moves unlocked. If I have to grind out every character that's just... not fun.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

Thanks!

That still sucks a whole lot compared to 11 where I could do basically anything in the game and get currency to unlock things in the crypt. I mostly play MK with friends when they come over so it's nice to have all of the moves unlocked. If I have to grind out every character that's just... not fun.

Yeah, it kind of sucks. You do get 100 premium currency every time you hit rank 31 with a character and on certain account ranks though.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Are the brutalities actually locked, or is it like MK11 where they’re technically available from the start but “unlocking” just adds them to the move list?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1765033683986284848

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Paying $100 to try and get Mileena out of the dragon shrine and pulling 25 Reikos instead

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
When does Homelander get added? I’m ready to watch a move/fatality highlight video on YouTube and then put this in my rear view.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Right before season 2 but also I think ermac is dlc before him

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Phenotype posted:

I guess this is maybe a dumb question, but like... what is wrong with this game? I hear people complaining about microtransactions but I don't understand the complaints. I haven't even played that much and I've unlocked a handful of skins for free through the Invasion Mode, and otherwise they're just selling skins and extra DLC characters like every other fighting game, aren't they?

And I dunno what more you'd expect for a single player mode. The story mode was pretty good, petered out at the end with the multiverse poo poo but I did like fighting all the alternate versions on the final battle up to the top of the temple. And Invasions are a pretty good time-waster too, it's a whole huge map of stuff to fight. SF6's World Tour was better, but I didn't think the single-player content was lacking at all considering it's a fighting game. I mean, what else can they give you?

Just curious as to what specifically turns people off here.

Trying not to effortpost too much but these are basically my gripes:

- Invasions is just plain bad, put simply. Towers in MK11/Injustice 2 kept rotating and giving you worthwhile rewards, from alternate moves (IJ2) to tons of little gear parts and costumes. It also helped that they were actual battles and not 6-second whatever battles--there's nothing you can even try out or play with in Invasion battles because they are so short and unfun. With the other 2 previous games, even if full length fights were too long for you, you can make your own AI fighter and watch them go. Ultimately Invasions just takes too loving long to walk through when all I wanted was a fun repeatable mode that constantly has new gimmicks/weirdo poo poo happening, with tons of tangible rewards getting dumped out. I'd argue the RPG feel MK1 was going for was handled better in Injustice because they actually gave you weird stats and modifiers for gear as well. Getting any koins or items out of Invasions feels like a tremendous boring slog.

Asking what else can they give you when Tekken 8 and SF6 both put way more effort into the single player modes? The previous games they made did single player far better. But I've accepted the game was rushed out so, this is what we got.

- Customization is horrid; you can't set more than one cosmetic loadout an I still do not understand why. The previous games, again, let you put 4 or 5 loadouts on a character, which was needed anyway due to movesets and stats. I have no idea why you can't do this in this game, it's pure laziness and it sucks. But what sucks more is that you're down to just one gear item you can change, and then a trove of ugly skins that more often than not are just Orange Sub-Zero, or Red Sub-Zero. Colors being divided by seasons is moronic because if it's something like orange, who the gently caress is that for?

Somebody mentioned the DLC for the game and I gotta say, it's probably the worst priced DLC I have seen since DOA when it comes to the premium costumes. I was able to get dozens of great outfits in MK11, but in MK1 the only way to not restrict yourself to macaroni colored reskins is to pay ten dollars per outfit. ALL the good outfits are gated behind ten dollars.

- Speaking of DLC, I thought it was really disappointing that 3 of the first 6 DLC characters were guest character, two of which are Supermen, and another 2 are just guys who showed up in the Story Mode---maybe they ran out of time and couldn't finish them and said gently caress it, just put them in the DLC package. The obsession with guest characters over more MK characters probably more of a subjective thing but for me, it was a net negative.

- No Krypt. I know not everyone gives a poo poo about this one but the Krypt always felt like a fun little mode to solve puzzles and earn specific rewards---with MK11 I loved unlocking all the intros/outros/costumes/brutalities within. Here, there's absolutely nothing besides a literal slot machine. At least in MK11 you sometimes could collectively dope out where some items were. Here, good luck getting through all the artwork to get anything you'd actually want. I think this one is actually emblematic of he game as a whole: where there'd formerly be a lot of care and cool design put into something, instead you just get a slot machine to put koins in. And this time, getting koins, and rewards, is much more arduous.

I realize a lot of this might just be subjective but the game really did feel very rushed, lacked very basic stuff from the last few games, and just overall came across as lacking a lot of the polish and hype the last three NRS games had. I don't think it's a coincidence that the EVO numbers for this game are second-to-last for the main stage selections right now. Similarly, I feel like the current atmosphere at WB probably played a role in the game being shoved out and squeezed way before it was done cooking.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

Somebody mentioned the DLC for the game and I gotta say, it's probably the worst priced DLC I have seen since DOA when it comes to the premium costumes. I was able to get dozens of great outfits in MK11, but in MK1 the only way to not restrict yourself to macaroni colored reskins is to pay ten dollars per outfit. ALL the good outfits are gated behind ten dollars.

You can get 5700 of the premium currency just for playing the game. I was wrong earlier when I said you only get 100 for getting a character to rank 31 because you also get 100 at rank 20 for the base characters. There are 23 base characters so that's 4600 right there. Then you get 500 for completing the story, and 200 at account ranks 60, 80, and 100.

e: Oh, and some of the skins are cheaper than that. Smoke's UMK3 and Kung Lao Kameo's MK3 skin are both in the store right now and Smoke's is 500 and Lao's is 780.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 12, 2024

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs
this game is fun. I play it every night online but I'm getting old so sometimes it spikes my blood pressure when playing ranked

still though. fun game. I wish ppl would post their quan chi kameos. mine's sektor AMA :allears:

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

Janet Cage is out :shrug:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I picked this back up recently and did the full invasion season again, for some reason. I’m glad we’re mostly done with the lame crossover characters, I’m kinda looking forward to stuff like Takeda and Ermac.

I think most of my complaints with this game still stand regarding the single player experience. But it’s not a horrible time dipping back in occasionally to check out new characters and scoop up some unlocks. The way it plays is fine, it’s just the ways it gives you to play aren’t as cool as previous offerings.

I’ll keep it installed but I don’t feel compelled to play it on the regular the way I would Street Fighter or Tekken, which is a shame because I got a LOT of mileage out of 11.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ermac and Movado teaser

https://twitter.com/MortalKombat/status/1776688663843520990

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

This game has rotating towers as part of the Invasions mode, it’s definitely more annoying to run around the island finding ones you want to play than picking through a menu but it’s not like they aren’t there.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This game has rotating towers as part of the Invasions mode, it’s definitely more annoying to run around the island finding ones you want to play than picking through a menu but it’s not like they aren’t there.

This is true, but it also lacks what made the MK 11 ones interesting, such as the items and cosmetics they would award. There’s no incentive to do any of them unless you want to grind out currency or character levels.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Well, I'm excited because graphically Ermac looks good. Interested to see if Movado gets any real love or if its just gonna be lazy slinky town

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

man nurse posted:

This is true, but it also lacks what made the MK 11 ones interesting, such as the items and cosmetics they would award. There’s no incentive to do any of them unless you want to grind out currency or character levels.

The challenge tower gives cosmetics based on the difficulty level which is adjusted based on how many times you've beaten it.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Waiting for Takeda...

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Ermac and Movado full trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5V7pKFNUYA

Movado seemed as simple as I hoped he would be. Ermac's Energy Color being more teal-y than green is weird, but otherwise he looked pretty cool.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Unbound posted:

Movado seemed as simple as I hoped he would be. Ermac's Energy Color being more teal-y than green is weird, but otherwise he looked pretty cool.

I imagine that's to more easily distinguish his effects, there's already a couple of fighters with green poo poo going on (Shang and Reptile IIRC).

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

McSpanky posted:

I imagine that's to more easily distinguish his effects, there's already a couple of fighters with green poo poo going on (Shang and Reptile IIRC).

You're probably right considering they added a lot of purple to Quan Chi's moves as well. The teal does give it that more ectoplasmic feel, which is probably also something they were going for.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I love seeing these Deadly Alliance/Deception characters because they're still as dumb as ever.

I really hope Takeda comes packaged with Kira or Kobra.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

31gb patch just downloaded, what the hell?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

31gb patch just downloaded, what the hell?

Look, it takes a loooooooooot of programming to get the AI to respond to wakeup attacks better

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Ermac is out (for early access havers) along with a free 4K Cinematics pack lol. 37 gigs if you want that download

Little late on that, I feel

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

man nurse posted:

Ermac is out (for early access havers) along with a free 4K Cinematics pack lol. 37 gigs if you want that download

Little late on that, I feel

Yeah, the cinematic pack has been out for at least a few weeks.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Regrettable posted:

Yeah, the cinematic pack has been out for at least a few weeks.

Is it more recent for consoles? Didn’t see it until now. I mean either way, game’s been out for quite some time

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

man nurse posted:

Is it more recent for consoles? Didn’t see it until now. I mean either way, game’s been out for quite some time

I do play on Steam so maybe.

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

game is fun

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1783980902604833204

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Genuinely forgot they hadn't released Homelander yet.