Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Areola Grande posted:

this must be the least talked about NRS game of all time

I remember posting all the time about MKX and MK11, hell I made the Injustice 2 thread and did a lot of character summary stuff in the OP. I legit think MK1, for the big boy deluxe price I paid, is the worst game purchase I ever made. It’s been 8 months or so and we still don’t even have multiple slots for outfits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

DLC Inc posted:

I remember posting all the time about MKX and MK11, hell I made the Injustice 2 thread and did a lot of character summary stuff in the OP. I legit think MK1, for the big boy deluxe price I paid, is the worst game purchase I ever made. It’s been 8 months or so and we still don’t even have multiple slots for outfits.

I asked myself if I should pick up Baldur's Gate 3, Payday 3, or Mortal Kombat 1, and settled on BG3.

Never regretted it one bit, even with how excited I was at the Havik and Reptile makeovers. All the live service microtransaction stuff just crept too deeply into MK for my liking. Also they totally should've just called it MK12 or Mortal Kombat: New Era.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

The game came out mid September. It's been 5 months. Also, it's pretty obvious that the game was pushed out probably 6 months too early and single player content kind of sucks. It also leans too hard on the microtransactions though you can get some premium currency for free by beating the story mode and every time you rank a character up to 31 and when you hit specific account ranks. All that said this is one of my favorite MK games from a gameplay perspective. It's just fun to play against other people.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 23, 2024

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Regrettable posted:

I assume the helmets will probably be the different pieces of cosmetic gear that you can change.

Probably not because they all look the same since there's a joke about losing track of which one does what

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Jamesman posted:

Was way more excited to see Janet Cage than anything Peacemaker was doing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Technowolf posted:

So I've never watched the show or read the Peacemaker comics, does PM usually have a super helmet with forcefields and stuff?

Jerkface posted:

yea he has a bunch of different helmets

One helmet gives him and/or his enemies scabies.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

DLC Inc posted:

I'm in the same boat. I literally haven't played since pre-omniman, and they haven't done anything to make me want to come back either. I've played every other mk game far more, including mkvdcu.

Some of it is the complete lackluster amount of single-player content, but i think another part is that the characters all really bored me. I was stupid hyped for characters like Havik and Reptile returning again, but playing them, and everyone else, just didn't click. Maybe its the reliance on the kameo system, which feels half-assed to me, that creates that boredom. Or maybe its just that ive started moving towards liking other fighters like sf6 more.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
For me, It was invasion simply being way way less satisfying than previous games towers. And honestly Mk11 having a ton of costume bits to collect held my attention way more than a small number of colors to find for costumes and just weapon skins

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I enjoyed the general balance changes from MK11 and the kameo system, but when I'm not playing KL there's kind of nothing to do so it hasn't really held my interest in the same way as MK11. Wake me when they stop adding all these superheroes I don't care about and put in JADE.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Definitely plunked down for the Premium edition preorder on blind faith of how much I love 11. Definitely completed the first Invasion season and story mode before shelving the game due to disinterest and underwhelming content. Have not played since before any of the DLC. Likely won’t return.

The single player offerings and customizations are anemic and boring. I don’t really like the mechanics compared to previous entries either. Street Fighter 6 and Tekken 8 stole any hope of me coming back to it.

This one wasn’t it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I enjoyed the general balance changes from MK11 and the kameo system, but when I'm not playing KL there's kind of nothing to do so it hasn't really held my interest in the same way as MK11. Wake me when they stop adding all these superheroes I don't care about and put in JADE.

I would be legit surprised if they actually announce a KP2 because I think this is gonna be it when it comes to the DLK they've got planned for this.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

AndyElusive posted:

I would be legit surprised if they actually announce a KP2 because I think this is gonna be it when it comes to the DLK they've got planned for this.

mk1 sold millions of copies and they intend it to have a long life cycle, i don't think they're gonna back off a kp2 that's probably already in development

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Is it too soon to hope for WB to sell off parts of their gaming division? I'd really like to see NRS under a better roof.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jerkface posted:

mk1 sold millions of copies and they intend it to have a long life cycle, i don't think they're gonna back off a kp2 that's probably already in development

I'm just looking at drastically declining Steam stats for it since release and I suppose that doesn't show the whole picture since I'm not factoring in the console audience.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Hasn't KP2 and an upcoming story expansion been datamined already?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Technowolf posted:

Hasn't KP2 and an upcoming story expansion been datamined already?

Something being datamined doesn't necessarily mean they will go through with it.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Something being datamined doesn't necessarily mean they will go through with it.

The game sold millions of copies. They're going to go through with it.

https://www.gameinformer.com/news/2023/12/06/mortal-kombat-1-ed-boon-confirms-story-dlc-teases-big-surprise

quote:

"Just like we did with [Mortal Kombat 11], we're going to release a second part with more story and we have a big surprise after that," Boon told the crowd at CCXP23.

This additional content speaks to the studio's philosophy around supporting Mortal Kombat 1 post-launch. Boon said during CCXP23 that, "[We're] going to be supporting the game for even longer than we did with Mortal Kombat 11," adding that, "It's going to be fun."

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

longest game support but with the worst single player modes/least amount of quality-of-life features/most hilariously expensive and bad skins of any game seems so cursed lol. It's possible they're just keeping their heads down and plugging away at a lot of big improvements but with how much WB has worked their other studios to death with GaaS poo poo and sharp deadlines, I'm not optimistic.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

When I read anything Boon says it's like I just hear Charlie Brown's teachers voice in my head. I understand that it's likely they'll do an Aftermath and KP2 but I guess I'm not going to really believe it until they tease it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
A lot of the sentiments being shared are pretty much how I was with the last MK game. I enjoyed it well enough, but not enough to have warranted pre-ordering the special edition with the Kombat Pack and stuff. I never played beyond the first released DLC character, so it was a waste to have spent money for all of the rest.

It just didn't hold my interest, and I always held onto the suspicion that the game was originally meant to be heavily monetized, but they scrapped a lot of that after backlash for other games at the time doing similar things. It always kinda felt grindy to me to unlock things, and you could easily slot some Premium Currency in there that was hastily taken out last-minute. Basically, what I envisioned was once the plan for MK11, you are now seeing realized in MK1.

Which really sucks, because I used to be such a huge nerd for the MK series. I fell off with Armageddon and MK vs DC because... well, look at them, but then my interest was drawn back in with MK9 and 10. I was really hoping the series was seeing a cool new renaissance, and maybe it did for a brief moment. But now it just seems like it's fallen victim to the same predatory practices that you see from all these major gaming companies and popular titles nowadays. Sucks.

At least we got some fun Johnny Cage stuff.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The big surprise is Ash from Army of Darkness WILL NOT be in the game

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
excited for another boring and lack interest by staggered release of fighters and the assists for KP2 instead of just releasing a fighter and the assist together at one time

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
https://www.eurogamer.net/mortal-kombat-1-gets-crossplay-next-week

"Crossplay, er I mean Krossplay, will be available for players on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, and PC (Steam and Epic Games Store) from 28th February. Players of the heavily criticised Nintendo Switch version of Mortal Kombat 1 will miss out on 1v1 Kombat League and Kasual matches, 1v1 private matches, and leaderboard stats across the other platforms."

Its kind of neat that PC is getting Krossplay.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Probably not because they all look the same since there's a joke about losing track of which one does what

Going back a few days but I'm looking through the files right now and the helmets are his changeable cosmetic gear.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Regrettable posted:

Going back a few days but I'm looking through the files right now and the helmets are his changeable cosmetic gear.

well gently caress me then!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Y6srYryQ8

:confused:
That'll get people playing again!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Why is this video so slow and ponderous. MK should not be boring

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Feel like ever since the reboot MK has been on the slower end of fighting games? Maybe before that too, I can't remember.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Super Shao tanking like 4 hits then knocking off half your health reminded me of the absolute worst parts of invasions and its the first thing they show lmao

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

DLC Inc posted:

You have to favorite costumes/weapons and then select you current costume to be randomize favorites.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Invasions has to be one of the worst single player modes of any fighting game I've ever played.

Just total garbage

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I guess this is maybe a dumb question, but like... what is wrong with this game? I hear people complaining about microtransactions but I don't understand the complaints. I haven't even played that much and I've unlocked a handful of skins for free through the Invasion Mode, and otherwise they're just selling skins and extra DLC characters like every other fighting game, aren't they?

And I dunno what more you'd expect for a single player mode. The story mode was pretty good, petered out at the end with the multiverse poo poo but I did like fighting all the alternate versions on the final battle up to the top of the temple. And Invasions are a pretty good time-waster too, it's a whole huge map of stuff to fight. SF6's World Tour was better, but I didn't think the single-player content was lacking at all considering it's a fighting game. I mean, what else can they give you?

Just curious as to what specifically turns people off here.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

I guess this is maybe a dumb question, but like... what is wrong with this game?

I had a pretty good time with it, I ended up quitting because Kenshi exists and then never really came back because the DLC characters are not at all what I'd want...and Kenshi still exists.

e: I will also say that I *hate* the ranking system. Fighting games loving this up over and over again, but I would just love for ELO to just be there.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 1, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don’t hate the it but I think most people were expecting more robust SP content from an MK game. NRS in the past generally did a really good job with repeatable randomized towers and MK11 had a lot of fun little goodies to hunt in the krypt and character-specific ladders. The pace of invasions are just way too slow and samey, in that first season basically every skin had an identical color palette and the gimmicks were all pretty annoying. Even in single player people generally want to land combos not punch through seven layers of armor while getting frozen every 2 seconds. MK11 had annoyances like those sometimes but at least you could just quickly punch through them. Competitively I like the game but a lot of people really don’t like using assists. I think MK’s control scheme is a little too crowded for some of what they’re attempting but I do think it’s the most fun modern NRS game to actually play 1v1. There’s just not a whole lot to do when you want to grind SP.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

otherwise they're just selling skins and extra DLC characters like every other fighting game, aren't they?

Just because it's normalized, doesn't mean it's OK.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
The single player is lacking, but IMO the fighting is the best it’s ever been. I’ve never been able to pull off combos or juggles or air combo juggle attacks because I am bad at video games but they’re all very intuitive in MK1. As long as you approach it as “only play with friends” game then it’s great.

The fights in Invasions are no more bullshit than the fights in towers of time in MK11. But to be fair those were pretty bullshit.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I don’t hate the it but I think most people were expecting more robust SP content from an MK game. NRS in the past generally did a really good job with repeatable randomized towers and MK11 had a lot of fun little goodies to hunt in the krypt and character-specific ladders. The pace of invasions are just way too slow and samey, in that first season basically every skin had an identical color palette and the gimmicks were all pretty annoying. Even in single player people generally want to land combos not punch through seven layers of armor while getting frozen every 2 seconds. MK11 had annoyances like those sometimes but at least you could just quickly punch through them. Competitively I like the game but a lot of people really don’t like using assists. I think MK’s control scheme is a little too crowded for some of what they’re attempting but I do think it’s the most fun modern NRS game to actually play 1v1. There’s just not a whole lot to do when you want to grind SP.

A lot of it is this but it's also getting really popular on Youtube to talk poo poo on games, often well before the game has been released and anyone has even gotten to play a demo or beta.

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs

Regrettable posted:

A lot of it is this but it's also getting really popular on Youtube to talk poo poo on games, often well before the game has been released and anyone has even gotten to play a demo or beta.

this. seems like it used to be mostly combo tutuorial videos on youtube but lately it's just opinion after opinion. u know what they say about opinions!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
loving lol, I'm seeing people Having A Normal One over Janet Cage, saying it's pushing a trans agenda and it's a dev self-insert and "nobody asked for this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The internet is definitely a place to see extremely normal reactions to video games