Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
JA2 is one of my all time favorites. I've got a good feeling about this one, unlike all the other attempts. Seems like the reviewers do too. Really excited to try it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
All mercs automatically reload when combat ends, 10/10 GOTY

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

I was going by the game recommendation to hire at least 3 but I think I will go for the fourth.

Get 6. In the early game you need warm bodies, not skilled soldiers. Anything less than 6 is just making things harder for yourself, there's plenty of money to be had and more mercs will make it easier for you to take and hold the first mine so that your economy gets established.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I'm tempted to turn off the mine depletion but I also kinda want to play "legit" the first time through just to see what was intended. I really prefer to play nice and slow and I love the infinite money endgame of JA2. I guess I'll see what happens.

Militia seems to be of pretty limited usefulness. My first two militia-only autoresolves were both predicted to be defeats, one of them turned into a win and the other was lost. Both had the full 8 militia but the win came on one that had 3 veterans, so I guess getting vets even right at the start is pretty useful. Expensive though, hence my thoughts about the mines.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

Since Ernie is on an island, if I capture the fort, does that mean that I do not need to train militia or can other forts send attack parties across the water?

I also do want to heal my current wounds (Got 3), but that would take about 5 hours with my team so it’s not prohibitive I think.

You will get attacked across water. You really don't need to worry about 5 hours lol, just explore the whole starting island, it has a lot of good quests and stuff to find. There's plenty of time.

deep dish peat moss posted:

As far as I can tell, outside of a couple scripted story events the only thing enemy squads go after is enemy-controlled diamond mines to pick up diamond shipments.

Forts generate random assaults on your controlled sectors just like JA2

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

This happened to me last night. I was in the middle of a map and my computer just straight up turned off with no warning. I've never had that happen in decades of PC gaming.

That used to happen to me with Witcher 3, and only Witcher 3. Turned out I had a bad power supply and the game worked fine after I replaced it. Might not be what's happening here, I doubt everyone reporting this has a bad PSU but the symptoms are the exact same.

E:

Xarn posted:

Also I just overheard a legion member complaining about someone writing "Legion go home" everywhere...

... because they write legion wrong :v:

Haha I got this one too, I loved it

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah the prison was a nightmare. I def recommend postponing that til later.

You cant breach walls in this, right? It would help a ton for entry, I loved it in JA2

You can absolutely breach walls. You can blow out floors too and enemies take fall damage.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

boo boo bear posted:

the mercenary that spots the mine or trap always stops. it's a solo endeavour. trying to move your entire group through an active minefield like a herd of cattle is going to yield negative results.

Yeah, this. Always have the explosives expert scout minefields alone. Also don't spam movement orders, because if you order movement right after they stop moving due to a mine you can override it and cause them to run straight into it.

Anyone found a use for chipped sapphires other than immediately cashing them in?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Xarn posted:

Did I miss something, or if I have full inventory when Barry procs his passive, it won't give me more shaped charges? (I don't see them in the sector inventory either)

This suuuucks

This is Barry's only flaw. Make sure to keep an open inventory slot on him.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Talking to Chimurenga with Grizzly in your squad gives some real A+ dialogue. That's my favorite so far

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

boo boo bear posted:

have a knife selected, then target a mook like your normally would. it'll let you prepare an attack and target a specific body part, then just move your dude behind them while trying to avoid being spotted.

if you have stealth perks you'll have a much better chance of pulling it off. poo poo will go sideways from time to time.

You don't need a knife for stealth kills. You don't even need a suppressed weapon. Any attack out of stealth mode counts. Guns are surprisingly quiet even without a suppressor, I have gotten a ton of unnoticed stealth kills with the unmodified gewehr even though it says it's super loud. Unlike JA2 where any unsuppressed gunfire would trigger the entire map

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Exodee posted:

That's what I've thought too, but I've used Livewire on a "mechanics check" trap before and it exploded in her face. Meanwhile Barry has always disarmed the trap no matter what kind it was so I want to say it always checks explosives.

I've seen Barry get a good shock from a failed mechanics check, so it definitely can check both.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Different strokes I guess but training is insanely tedious and boring. I only do it as an absolute last resort while I'm waiting on people to heal or move into position. Base stats are all that matter to me

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I tried to get Wolf to join my squad and he told me to gently caress off because his mom was in town, lol. I think it's permanent too, it just says he will not join my squad every time I open the contact window

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Objective Action posted:

Also, weirdly, I think it might actually be easiest to get the lone wolf playthrough done with the finish super fast achievement? I'm only about a 1/3rd through but I beelined for the Major and just ran past a lot of the encounters. I'm noticing quite a lot of the tiles that had enemies in my main playthrough must spawn in after some time because they are empty if I sprint there.

This tracks with JA2, IIRC the speedrun strat was to hire Magic and run around in tactical view avoiding enemies and collecting stuff on the way to the palace then blow Deidranna up with a LAW.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Panzeh posted:

I think the challenge in 3 is that it's not quite as straightforward to win.

Yes, definitely. I'm interested to see how the route turns out.

toasterwarrior posted:

It owns how the best merc for doing the solo run is still, as always, Magic. Not even Shadow who's literally built for it, but the main man himself, Magic.

Part of why Magic was so good in JA2 was that he came with a canteen so you could run longer in tactical mode, lol. Obviously his stats are fantastic though. Shadow may end up being a better choice in JA3, or possibly even something weird like hiring a specific merc for specific parts of the run and then firing them to hire someone else.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Squibbles posted:

I just been spending all my scrap trying and failing to add a bipod. She's got 92 skill why the hell has she failed it 4 drat times!

I'm pretty sure I have spent more scrap on bipods than everything else put together. Thermal scope from nothing but scraps and a random microchip? No sweat. Two aluminum sticks on a hinge? loving impossible

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Pretty sure having any source of cumbersome from a single armor or weapon removes 100% of free move and the perk gives you 50% back. Stacking additional cumbersome stuff on top does nothing that I have seen. I agree it should be in the UI though.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

I tried the active pause mod to be able to set up multiple things but it doesnt seem to work like that, is that right or am I doing something wrong?

I haven't tried the mod but my understanding is that it was just a UI convenience, it doesn't change the way the battles work. You wouldn't be able to set up multiple simultaneous attacks or something like that because the tactical battle engine only processes one thing at a time in sequence, it's not designed to be a real time active pause kind of game.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

TheWeedNumber posted:

yall just need a psycho in the squad to straighten him out apparently lol

I think having a psycho is the only way to reunite all of the Coffee Beans, too. Although that quest is kinda dubious on higher difficulties I think, even on easy I had trouble keeping everyone alive and you take a loyalty hit for anyone who dies. Might skip it in the future.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

TheWeedNumber posted:

it just might be but all the others required various skills, like medical, explosive, and leadership.

Right, it's just the one person, but my completionism :argh:

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Yeah I played the N-Night fight like 3 times and all three times we won but that crazy machete lady kept just running directly into a wall of bullets like a moron, I don't think there's any way to save her from her own stupid AI.

I once saw her start a turn directly next to a machine gunner with their overwatch cone pointed in the opposite direction, and she specifically ran the whole way around him and took a full burst to the chest to die. She lusts for death

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's possible. If you save him, he eventually becomes a party member that costs nothing so you might as well try. His stats are nothing special though.

Smiley is not guaranteed to join if you save him, I told his incel rear end to gently caress off when he confronted boss blaubert and he left

Flavahbeast posted:

iirc I showed it to him before Maman added babes to it, maybe that messes with it

I definitely showed the shaman the "enhanced" version of the flyer, he has a lot of dialogue though and I had to talk to him repeatedly to see some of it.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Xarn posted:

Speaking of shops, I'd love if I didn't have to load the sector map and click on the stall to buy things. Mod to make things buyable from sat view when?

This would be a great opportunity for an in game website parodying the dot com boom the same way Bobby Rays did for the 90s web. Something to let you order from all the local vendors.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

All right, thanks. I think I was just unlucky in how many enemies were spawned right next to that shack where the beans hang out. There were at least 8 there and another group in the alley behind them.

Also as someone mentioned a few pages back, overwatch kind of sucks if you have it in place before combat starts sine you start with 0 AP, even if you're perfectly positioned.

Speaking of pickups, I'm out of around 60-70 rounds of 7.62 ammo and the enemies dropped only some 9mm lol.

:hmmyes: yes he is

It's entirely rng as to whether you can keep the beans alive, yeah. The enemy deployment is fully random and will sometimes dump most of the invasion right next to them with no chance for you to get into position to defend. Also rng as to whether they decide to shoot each other in the back repeatedly, lol

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
There's four main interface changes I'd like to see:
- Auto renew
- A "scrap all" button on the loot/sector inventory pages
- Get rid of the arbitrary limit on items in queue to repair. Ideally just get rid of the queue entirely, or make it optional, 99% of the time when I am repairing one thing I am repairing everything.
- Make tactical view interactables clickable from any angle

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I use ARs all the time, yeah burst sucks but nothing says you have to use that. Single shot is great. It's super useful for cleaning up injured enemies after your snipers, mg and explosives have done their thing. Plus you can use them for 40mm grenades. Obviously snipers are the best choice right now for the bulk of the squad but having some versatile damage you can spread around at the end of a turn is great.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

So there is a purpose for all those chairs after all.

I think I missed the quest , though. Im on the very end of the game and never got it

It's one of the options from the loot box guy in the Fleatown market, he has a bunch of stuff you can ask him for in exchange for a diamond. One of them is about wealth or riches or something and that gives you the quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

sean10mm posted:

I got impatient towards the end of my first playthrough and I think I missed most of the Nazi killing stuff. :saddowns:

The Nazis didn't get added until mid December so they may not have existed yet depending when you played