Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for August, 2023?
This poll is closed.
Alex Shelley (Impact World Champion) 4 5.26%
:rockstar: Yuma Aoyagi (Triple Crown Champion) 5 6.58%
Blake Christian (GCW Champion) 1 1.32%
:sparkles: Trinity (Impact Knocksout Champion) 1 1.32%
Asuka (FORMER WWE Women's Champion) 0 0%
:thurman: Bianca Belair (FORMER WWE Women's Champion) 0 0%
:cloudnine: IYO SKY (WWE Women's Champion) 0 0%
Madoka Kikuta (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 2 2.63%
T-Hawk (G-REX Champion) 0 0%
:science: Toni Storm (FORMER AEW Women's Champion) 3 3.95%
:gitgudhorn: Hikaru Shida (FORMER AEW Women's Champion) 9 11.84%
:gas: Saraya (AEW Women's Champion) 0 0%
Mayu Iwatani (IWGP Women's Champion) 1 1.32%
:smug: MJF (AEW Champion) 40 52.63%
:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Champion) 1 1.32%
Tam Nakano (World of Stardom Champion) 3 3.95%
:colbert: None of the Above 6 7.89%
Total: 76 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thanks to a last minute drive by some attractive, charming, beloved and inspiring champions of democracy, we survived another month of horrifically low turnout for the July, 2023 poll. It still wasn't a high number, but at least it was on the low end of acceptable, and thank you to all who took the 0.000000001 seconds it took to perform the astonishingly easy and sexy task of casting their vote. But it's the result that matters, and for the second time in two months and the second time EVER, Athena was Punch Sport Pagoda's Champion of the Month! Scourge of Mascots Chris Brookes put in a valiant effort and came close, but where he succeeded in overcoming the odds in real life, he failed in the far more important field of some random Internet Subforum's monthly poll that 70 people voted in! DDT did not join the promotions whose champions have made it into the winner's circle for 2023, but ROH solidified its status thanks to Athena and her excellent main event PPV title defense against Willow Nightingale. June of 2023 was hers, so was July of 2023, but we already know that August will NOT belong to Athena!

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, last month's winner Athena (ROH), Chris Brookes (DDT), Claudio Castagnoli (ROH), Emi Sakura (Gatoh Move), Jake Lee (NOAH), Mizuki (TJPW), Rhea Ripley (WWE), and SANADA (New Japan) did not defend their titles this month and are temporarily removed from the poll. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

Alex Shelley (Impact World Champion) - Alex Shelley had a slightly quieter August with only the one title defense compared to two each for the previous months... but he made up for the lack in quantity with a quality opponent. This wasn't Steve Maclin, Nick Aldis or Brian Myers he was wrestling... it was the Ace! Hiroshi Tanahashi may be slowing down and showing signs of his age, but he's still the Ace of the Universe and Shelley defeating him at Multiverse United 2 must have been like a dream come true.

:rockstar: Yuma Aoyagi (Triple Crown Champion) - Yuma Aoyagi cemented his grip on the Triple Crown further in August, successfully defeating 8-time former Triple Crown Champion Suwama on Night 4 of the Summer Action Series. This would seem to be a pretty big show of confidence in Aoyagi, which by all indications the young (only 27!) wrestler deserves.

Blake Christian (GCW Champion) - Christian had a packed August, defeating Speedball Mike Bailey, Chris Bey, Calibus and finally Masha Slamovich all in a less than 3 week period to retain his title. During that he also had time to make an appearance on ROH and beat Brandon Cutler, but that doesn't count, everybody beats Brandon Cutler!

:sparkles: Trinity (Impact Knocksout Champion) - Having beaten Deonna Purrazzo to win the title at Slammiversary, Trinity did it again at Emergence just over a month later. Purrazzo took another shot at the belt she'd just lost, but could win back the title she'd fought so long for, with Trinity beating her in just under 16 minutes. A little longer than it took to beat her for the belt the first time, but a win is a win, and the champ remains the champ.

Asuka (FORMER WWE Women's Champion) - Asuka's latest title reign was not a smooth ride, as various title defenses were upset by the constant interference or distracting presence of Bianca Belair and Charlotte Flair squabbling over who should be the real #1 Contender. Finally though at SummerSlam it went to a threeway match where Asuka's reign ended with one of the three finally staking her claim to the gold definitively.

:thurman: Bianca Belair (FORMER WWE Women's Champion) - Yes, Bianca Belair had done it, she'd taken back her title, and now sh-

:cloudnine: IYO SKY (WWE Women's Champion) - IYO SKY cashed in the Money in the Bank briefcase and won the title from Bianca in 10 seconds, bringing the belt back to the Damage CTRL faction lead by Bayley... but now the title is IYO's. She defeated Zelina Vega later in the month in her first successful title defense, and ended the month holding the title that Charlotte and Bianca wanted but that she took for herself.

Madoka Kikuta (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - Despite taking part in the King of Gate tournament and having a frankly terrifyingly busy schedule, Madoka Kikuta found the time for a title defense against Kota Minoura at Dangerous Gate in late August. He retained his title there, but his loss earlier in the month to BIG BOSS Shimizu in the King of Gate Semi Final shows he's not unbeatable, can the young (he's only 23!) wrestler keep up this schedule and hold onto his belt?

T-Hawk (G-REX Champion) - At GLEAT Ver. Mega at the start of August, T-Hawk continued his reign on top of the small promotion by beating Hayato Tamura, putting him now at roughly the halfway mark of original champion El Lindaman's 320 day reign. Can he beat it? Only time will tell!

:science: Toni Storm (FORMER AEW Women's Champion) - Toni Storm had a bizarre August, with her title reign making up only a tiny portion of it before losing the best to Hikaru Shida. Since then she has been a revelation with her new character of "disgraced 1950s movie star", and I can only imagine how much more delightfully deranged she might get if she was to regain the title whose loss caused her to lose her mind in the first place.

:gitgudhorn: Hikaru Shida (FORMER AEW Women's Champion) - Shida's first title reign happened entirely during the pandemic era of wrestling, meaning she mostly worked empty arenas or ones peppered with fellow wrestlers and those few who were allowed to view from a distance. You could argue this title reign was merely a make-good, but if so it was a hell of a deserved one. Shida has been a consistently high performer for AEW and the crowd absolutely buys her as a legitimate threat to the title, and though this reign as champion lasted less than a month she not only got to be champion in front of crowds, she got to finish up her reign in front of the biggest paid wrestling crowd in history. She deserved it. She earned it.

:gas: Saraya (AEW Women's Champion) - Perhaps there is a danger that time and her injury has left Saraya somewhat lacking against the higher workrate and indeed higher expectations for women's wrestling in mainstream North American wrestling... but she remains a pretty important figure in what was dubbed "The Women's Revolution" (a revolution WWE delights in marketing despite fighting it tooth and nail when it first came about) and so there is something to be said for getting to see her win the title and celebrate with her family in her home country in front of the biggest paid wrestling crowd in history. Is this her house? For now at least, she is the champion after all.

Mayu Iwatani (IWGP Women's Champion) - After defeating Mercedes Mone to win the title in April, Iwatani faced one hell of a challenge fromer former World of Stardom Champion Utami Hayashishita at the Stardom X Stardom ~Osaka Summer Team~ PPV... but she retained! The IWGP Women's title has bounced around a fair bit in its short history so far, but Iwatani - who many thought was a lock to be the first to win it - has managed to hold onto it for now.

:smug: MJF (AEW Champion) - Something weird happened over the last couple of months. MJF wrestled. A lot. He had a lot of matches! Also he embraced the crowd and they embraced him back. Also he made a friend. An actual real, honest-to-God, no fooling, friend! And he retained his title in the main event of All In in front of the biggest paid wrestling crowd in history, kept his friend, gained the ROH Tag Titles during all this, and he's.... he's happy? Not happy because he's gloating at somebody else's expense. Genuinely, unashamedly, sweetly, happy! What a wild ride it's been watching the most vile man in pro-wrestling grow as a person and learn to open himself up and have it all pay off in just straight up success and mutual support. And all it cost was Roderick Strong's heart being broken!

:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Champion) - After four months, Roman Reigns finally defended the title it was so important for storytelling that he retain over Cody Rhodes at Wrestlemania. It was simply impossible to tell the story of his faction kind of falling apart and losing faith in him unless he was also simultaneously the top wrestler in the company with a proven track record of unstoppable success. But maybe that's unfair, the story had shifted to the title being the only thing he'd have left after he alienated everybody... except he openly stated that he'd be just fine without the title too and it didn't actually mean anything to him. Incredible storytelling, just masterful. Anyway he retained the title when, and you're not gonna believe this masterful twist in the story, somebody interfered openly in the match to cost his opponent Jey Uso the match at SummerSlam. Dostoevsky level stuff here, folks.

Tam Nakano (World of Stardom Champion) - While it was her first title defense in 3 months, Nakano had been busy enough in the interim. Taking part in the annual 5 Star Grand Prix, she still found the time to successfully defend her belt against Megan Bayne at the Stardom X Stardom ~Osaka Summer Team~ PPV. She wasn't so lucky with the Wonder of Stardom Title she also held, losing that to MIRAI in July, but for now she remains the top champion in Stardom.

:colbert: None of the Above - If you're stoically upset at the list of champions and want to express that via emoticon like Marcus Aurelius would have wanted, or simply just want to see the results, then None of the Above is the option for you.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You have 5 days to vote. Voting is easy and makes you look cool. Please do it!

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

where is Orange Cassidy?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Kind of want to vote Toni Storm even though all her stuff that makes me want to vote for her came after she lost the belt.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sticky Nate posted:

where is Orange Cassidy?

He's not the AEW World Champion, OP.

Yet. :getin:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i can't benlieve it. roleplaying that my name is ben and i say things like "benlieve"

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

T-Hawk vs Tamura was rad (and on YouTube, watch it in the MOTYC thread) but I can't not vote for my boy Yuma for getting a great singles match out of old man SUWAMA

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

My best Mr Kennedy Impersonation: Trinity!......trinity

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the answer is clearly shida

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

CURSE YOU MJF I HAD TO VOTE FOR YOU EVEN THOUGH I SAID I'D NEVER DO IT (while you were heel and you're kind of slipping to face so)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

has to be my boy Maxwell

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

graph posted:

the answer is clearly shida

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Yuma Aoyagi, best wrestler of the year not called Kento.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I feel like it has to be MJF this month, right?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I know Max is winning, but tbh I want this to be Yuma's month

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Teddybear posted:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

No seth rollins?

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

No seth rollins?

that world title is as real as Punk's

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Teddybear posted:

Watch Yuma vs Suwama

Or don't, but do.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Voted for my friend and America‘s sweetheart MJF

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Max holds the clear lead at the moment, but there's still 4 days to vote, so that's something you should do.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

No seth rollins?

That title was explicitly introduced by WWE as a secondary title for losers who can't even get a shot at the actual World Title. When I asked if anybody wanted it included as an option (which I did not want to do) not a single person spoke up for it. It's a glorified Intercontinental Title.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

might be interesting to see how the voting totals are affected by the wwe world's heavyweight championship being added to the poll next month. one time only. it might not be. that's the flip of the coin

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It seems unlikely that Undisputed WWE Champion Roman Reigns will bother to win Seth's title and absorb it into his own but I guess anything's possible.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Yuma in a strong third, you love to see it

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

It seems unlikely that Undisputed WWE Champion Roman Reigns will bother to win Seth's title and absorb it into his own but I guess anything's possible.

He needs 4 belts

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Gone with MJF for being smart enough to not engage with the "Real" World Championship

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Gone with MJF for being smart enough to not engage with the "Real" World Championship

Man, that whole dumb angle really is gonna end up going nowhere. I had assumed that it was going to lead to MJF beating Punk but it's a lucky thing that he never, ever referenced it or paid it the slightest attention I can recall.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
im voting for toni storm because her character work since losing the belt has been amazing. also her emoticon/smilie should be changed to :byodame:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seams posted:

im voting for toni storm because her character work since losing the belt has been amazing. also her emoticon/smilie should be changed to :byodame:

I was already using it for Rhea Ripley but also I forgot to include her on last month's poll and I don't think anybody noticed.....

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Jerusalem posted:

I was already using it for Rhea Ripley but also I forgot to include her on last month's poll and I don't think anybody noticed.....

how is Rhea not :rock: or :regd10:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lid posted:

how is Rhea not :rock: or :regd10:

There's been a lot of champions over the years and a lot of used (and reused!) emoticons!

Also I legit only have Observer recaps to go on when it comes to knowing what is actually going on in WWE so I have no idea why those particular emoticons might suit Rhea or not v:shobon:v

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Jerusalem posted:

There's been a lot of champions over the years and a lot of used (and reused!) emoticons!

Also I legit only have Observer recaps to go on when it comes to knowing what is actually going on in WWE so I have no idea why those particular emoticons might suit Rhea or not v:shobon:v

think bisexual flirty femdom who is viewed as the new Chyna style hoss

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

M’jf

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lid posted:

think bisexual flirty femdom who is viewed as the new Chyna style hoss

i…see

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2 days in, 3 days to go, go ahead and vote. I double dog dare you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

With a day to go, now is the time to get in your late votes, which will require a great dealalmost no effort at all to achieve, and will also eat up a tremendous amountalmost zero of your time. So make the giganticminimal effort and vote!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Any friend of Adam Cole is a friend of mine. Voted MJF.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it a close one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's still a few hours to vote, and we've already beaten last month's (low) total, so yay for democracy! Yay for some people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
writing in the Real World’s Champion CM Punk, who successfully defended his title against his storied rival in front of 80,000 people and nothing else happened after that