Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Saleh has yet to prove he actually brings any advantage on gameday. Why would he survive a failed fourth season?
He’s proven to be an excellent scout and developer of defensive talent with a sound strategic mind for game day.

He’s W-L record is because he’s had among the worst qb situations in the league and rampant OL injuries. Now part of that is him drafting Wilson but also sometimes you just have to gamble on a qb prospect and sometimes they bust. I think it’s completely fair to say he’s a good coach and his lack of success is largely due to “poo poo happens in the nfl”

But like YOLO said, even if we can explain his lack of success due to those factors, he’s still probably gone if there’s no playoff production this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Yeah pretty much. His "gameday advantage", not sure how you quantify that, is that he took their team defense from 31st in the league to top 5 and his defensive line to probably top 3 in the league and he did it in 2 years.

No one thinks he's surviving a wet fart of a non-playoff season where Rodgers stays healthy and they finish 4th in the division though. His fellow 2021 hires in Staley and Arthur Smith and Dan Campbell are all probably fired as well if they did the same.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I do think they make the playoffs and render this discussion moot. There's too much talent on that roster not to, and even a diminished Rodgers is better than the poo poo they were trotting out last year.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Minor comment: Packers coach is Matt LaFleur. Mike LaFleur is OC for the Rams.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Benne posted:

I do think they make the playoffs and render this discussion moot. There's too much talent on that roster not to, and even a diminished Rodgers is better than the poo poo they were trotting out last year.

It’s a pretty rough division on paper though. It might not take much bad luck to get behind

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DeimosRising posted:

It’s a pretty rough division on paper though. It might not take much bad luck to get behind

Hell, they could be like 2-4 even if Rodgers is good out of the gate, plus they have a stinky early bye

Bills
@Cowboys
Patriots
Chiefs
@Broncos
Eagles
<bye>

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

For a laugh look at Jordan Love's opening 6-7 weeks and compare that to Rodgers's.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Hell, they could be like 2-4 even if Rodgers is good out of the gate, plus they have a stinky early bye

Bills
@Cowboys
Patriots
Chiefs
@Broncos
Eagles
<bye>

"Rodgers Pushes for Coaching Changes During Bye"

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Kalli posted:

Bills
@Cowboys
Patriots
Chiefs
@Broncos
Eagles
<bye>

Philly, New England, and Dallas were 1,2, and 3 in sack rate last year. They might need that early bye to get Wilson ready to play week 8.

I could easily see some Kellen Moore or Eric Bienemy coaching the Jets next year if Rodgers doesn't survive that murderers row of pass rushes.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kalli posted:

Bills
@Cowboys
Patriots
Chiefs
@Broncos
Eagles
<bye>

I see 5-1.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

"Rodgers Pushes for Coaching Changes During Bye"

“Report: Rodgers disgruntled by Jets woes”

Nov 6, 2002

fartknocker posted:

“Report: Rodgers disgruntled by Jets woes”

NY POST: RODGERS JETS HAVE NO SHOT

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Rodgers wormtonguing Hackett into jets hc is absolutely gonna happen though maybe not during the season

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Like if they don’t win the Super Bowl I think he’ll do that

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's honestly a great bit that Nathaniel freakin Hackett is like the only coach Aaron has ever liked

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Benne posted:

It's honestly a great bit that Nathaniel freakin Hackett is like the only coach Aaron has ever liked
He also really like Alex Van Pelt I guess? He has his guys.

quote:

Appearing on ESPN Radio's Golic & Wingo from the Super Bowl in Minneapolis on Thursday, Rodgers said some of the Packers' offseason coaching changes were "a little strange."

"Well, my quarterback coach didn't get retained," Rodgers said when asked for specifics. "I thought that was an interesting change, really without consulting me. There's a close connection between quarterback and quarterback coach, and that was an interesting decision."

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Benne posted:

Rodgers also liked Alex Van Pelt who is now the Browns OC, and Tom Clements who returned as the Packers QB coach.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Nosre posted:

And then 8 wins last year with the Patricia disaster and again one of the worst offenses in the league. Yes obviously Bill's GMing and drafting is what got the roster to that state, but he's still been too good to have the bottom fall out.

Bill's still squeezing the most out of the garbage roster for sure but they also got very lucky with schedule difficulty last year. this year's looking ROUGH for all the AFC East. idk that he's hitting 8 wins again this year, unless they win every must win game and then another 4-5 toss-ups against significantly more talented teams.

Nov 6, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

He also really like Alex Van Pelt I guess? He has his guys.

I always thought that Rodgers had a very valid complaint there. You're gonna to replace a veteran QB's quarterback coach without even asking him about it? Rodgers wasn't really wrong with most of his complaints about the Packers. Certainly they didn't try very hard to build around him in the back part of his time there.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Nosre posted:

Is there a middle path where Kraft yanks his GM control, and does Bill allow that for his last few years? Because I don't see his coaching having fallen off at all still. They got 7 wins with a dead Cam and this being his receivers:

WRs
10 Damiere Byrd
15 N'Keal Harry
16 Jakobi Meyers
14 Donte Moncrief KR
80 Gunner Olszewski PR

Tight ends
86 Devin Asiasi
44 Dalton Keene

And then 8 wins last year with the Patricia disaster and again one of the worst offenses in the league. Yes obviously Bill's GMing and drafting is what got the roster to that state, but he's still been too good to have the bottom fall out.

I think this would be ideal but Bill is way too much of a proud, stubborn rear end in a top hat to allow it. Like if a GM is forced on him he would bench players acquired by the new guy out of spite even though it sabotages his chance at Shula’s record.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn. I completely forgot that Dennis Allen and Todd Bowles are head coaches. Talk about two guys who aren't HC material flying under the radar despite a kind of weak showing of potential fire candidates.

Also, the GM for the 49ers has gotten bailed the gently caress out hard by Brock Purdy's existence because I realized they haven't had a 1st round pick since they got Trey Lance. Also Solomon Thomas was picked by them. And Javon Kinlaw. They've just set fire to so many 1st round picks these past few years it's unbelievable what a goddamn stacked team they have despite the fact that this sort of poo poo-tier drafting should have tanked this team hard.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Saleh is exactly the kind of coach the Steelers would give a lifetime job to

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Rodgers wasn't really wrong with most of his complaints about the Packers. Certainly they didn't try very hard to build around him in the back part of his time there.

Eh, they were trying to build the best team possible without completely mortgaging the future. Part of the charm of having an ~elite~ qb is that they can elevate the offense around them and you don’t have to spend tons of capital on that side of the ball, and he still enjoyed a good line for a lot of that time. The defense hasn’t panned out (yet) but Love was really the only move that wasn’t trying to take advantage of the Rodgers window

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pontius Pilate posted:

Eh, they were trying to build the best team possible without completely mortgaging the future. Part of the charm of having an ~elite~ qb is that they can elevate the offense around them and you don’t have to spend tons of capital on that side of the ball, and he still enjoyed a good line for a lot of that time. The defense hasn’t panned out (yet) but Love was really the only move that wasn’t trying to take advantage of the Rodgers window

What's amusing is looking at the current Packers and realizing that the past few years have actually been about giving Love maximum advantage while balancing out giving Rodgers as many tools as he could get to push for a Super Bowl without, as you said, mortgaging the future. The current roster has zero receiving targets with more than 2 years of experience (excepting Josiah Deguara, who's now a fullback). Despite that Love's inheriting an incredible pass-blocking line, a stacked RB room, and loads of potential at receiver/TE.

Rodgers was justified in his beef with the Green Bay front office for not giving him more to work with, but at the same time, Green Bay -- a small-town team very reliant on revenue-sharing and sustained success -- was justified in perpetually planning for the future.

Nov 6, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

Green Bay -- a small-town team very reliant on revenue-sharing and sustained success -- was justified in perpetually planning for the future.

That's not how the NFL works.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

That's not how the NFL works.

???

?????????

Sorry are you going to tell me that the NFL doesn't have revenue sharing??????????????? Or is this yet another dumbass loving comment from a dumbass loving poster???

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Kalli posted:

Bills
@Cowboys
Patriots
Chiefs
@Broncos
Eagles
<bye>

Agreed. That Broncos revenge game is no joke.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

???

?????????

Sorry are you going to tell me that the NFL doesn't have revenue sharing??????????????? Or is this yet another dumbass loving comment from a dumbass loving poster???
I think he’s just saying that the Packers are getting their ~$400m per year from revenue sharing regardless if they’re good or bad.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
"Small market" is an owner myth used as an excuse to let them not spend money. Every team in the league, including the Packers, can easily spend more than the current salary cap is

Nov 6, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

I think he’s just saying that the Packers are getting their ~$400m per year from revenue sharing regardless if they’re good or bad.

Thank you.

Nodoze posted:

"Small market" is an owner myth used as an excuse to let them not spend money. Every team in the league, including the Packers, can easily spend more than the current salary cap is

Also, yes.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I know this is for coaches but if the panthers don’t lock up burns fitterer needs to be on the hot seat. Especially after he turned down two firsts for him last season.

I get the thought process behind the move at the time, but you’ve basically said he’s worth more than two first rounders. Now you get to pay him like that. They should have locked him up immediately after turning down the trade.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Green Bay doesn't have a billionaire who can bankroll the team through lean years. They explicitly have something like $400 million stashed away in a reserve fund for this reason. It's been a while since I looked at the numbers but iirc the majority of the Packers' income comes from the revenue share.

If the team starts sucking for an extended period of time the league won't hesitate to move the franchise, they won't care about all the cute little bylaws forbidding this.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Jonathan Gannon is such an unserious coach. The Cardinals are the organization y'all are claiming the Packers are. They charge players for on site lunches lmao

Nov 6, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

Green Bay doesn't have a billionaire who can bankroll the team through lean years. They explicitly have something like $400 million stashed away in a reserve fund for this reason. It's been a while since I looked at the numbers but iirc the majority of the Packers' income comes from the revenue share.

If the team starts sucking for an extended period of time the league won't hesitate to move the franchise, they won't care about all the cute little bylaws forbidding this.

This is ridiculous on many levels. The most ridiculous is the idea that they would ever move out of Green Bay. Not even Roger Goodell would have the audacity.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Forrest on Fire posted:

Jonathan Gannon is such an unserious coach. The Cardinals are the organization y'all are claiming the Packers are. They charge players for on site lunches lmao

It's a rough deal to hire a coach and then ask him to go 1-16. You're not really going to know anything about him before he gets his hands on Maye or Williams heh

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I'd put Dennis Allen on the mild level at least. If the Saints can't win such a weak-rear end division like the NFCS after getting an ostensible upgrade at QB like Carr and Jamaal Williams at RB, I think he'll be out of there.

Arthur Smith I think will get a pass if the Falcons don't do anything because this a QB evaluation year for Ridder.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Edit: double post

Nov 6, 2002

If you go by what Forbes estimated in 2022 the Packers had the league's 10th most revenue: $543 million. For comparison, the Lions had the lowest at $452 million. With the exception of the Cowboys, the majority of every team's revenue comes from the league's revenue sharing system.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I don't think Gannon will get fired unless he is Urban or Hackett levels of inept/embarrassing, which he very well might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

Rich billionaire owners are the reason teams move in the first place, since they like to pit cities against each other to get public money to build new stadiums to hold non-football events to get even richer. The league generally begrudgingly accepts moves, rather than pushes for them. Green Bay is one of the top 5 least likely teams to ever move, for historical and economic reasons.