Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

This is a closed setup high-power game for themed after one of my all time fave video games, Star Control II, a weird space exploration story adventureish dialogue-driven genre-defying epic from the early 1990s.

Discord is required to play, here is the link:
Eliminations will be by majority vote with hammer once majority is reached. No-elimination days are possible.

Rules and Regulations Boilerplate:

Rules and Regulations Boilerplate
  • Standard rules apply.
  • Discord is required to play. Please join https://discord.gg/esSkwPPj (observers also welcome).
  • Do not edit posts except to fix pronouns.
  • You may post at night as long as you're still alive cuz yolo
  • Do not quote or copy-paste out-of-thread information like moderator messages or private chats. Paraphrasing the contents of such messages is okay.
  • Do not discuss the game with anyone outside of authorised channels.
  • Do not fake day actions.
  • Try not to lurk. I don't plan on enforcing cuz that ain't really my way. But I reserve the right to replace you or mod-kill you if you’re not able to participate to a degree that’s affecting the overall playability of the game (and you’re not communicating about it)
  • Have fun and be excellent to each other..

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, always remember that your mental well-being is more important than a forum game. While antagonism and deceit are inherent features of social deduction games, there are lines that should not be crossed that may be highly personal. If you feel stressed out, IRL angry, or in any other way discomforted beyond what you feel is part of the game, do not hesitate to reach out and say so. Nobody will think ill of you if you have comments or concerns, or want to leave the game at any point, before the game or during the game. The following users have been suggested as points of contact if you do not feel you can reach out to the game-runner: The Traditional Games forum moderators, Leperflesh and Antivehicular; and Mafia regulars VoodooFly, Hal Insandenza, Bifauxnen, Monathin, Wologar, Maerlyn, EccoRaven, CCKeane, Opopanax, Sandwolf and Shellception.

1. Bifauxnen (surprise me)
  2. CubicalSucrose
  3. fool of sound
  4. hambeet (he/him)
  5. Illusionis (He/him)
  6. Pander
  7. PhantomMuzzles (She/Her)
  8. saladscooper (he/him)
  9. Sandwolf (He/Him)
  10. TammyHEH (she/her) Keats (he/him)
  11. Tea Party Crasher
  12. Tired Moritz
  13. Voodoofly (He/Him/Whatever)
  14. wologar (he/him/whatever)
  15. Zoya

Night 1
Day 2
Night 2
Day 3
Night 3
Day 4
Night 5/Day 6
End Game

shwinnebego fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

ignore this i changed my mind this is gonna be a clsoed setup

shwinnebego fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 9, 2023

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I probably can’t play in this game but I just wanted to say Star Control 2 is one of my favorite games too

I might play if I knew I would get to be a Spathi

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Alright shwinn I'll play your space game.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

If you need a co-mod to pepper you with SC2 quotes I’m definitely your guy though

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Hal Insandenza posted:

If you need a co-mod to pepper you with SC2 quotes I’m definitely your guy though

Hell yes I’m down

Also gdi I forgot to name the thread properly can some mod rename it to “[Mafia] Star Control II”

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Star control 2 was like my white whale growing up. I could either never find it or by the time I did it wouldn’t run on my computer and I was never smart enough to fix it

So finally time to remedy that!

Also is there a good way to play it now?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Voodoofly posted:

Star control 2 was like my white whale growing up. I could either never find it or by the time I did it wouldn’t run on my computer and I was never smart enough to fix it

So finally time to remedy that!

Also is there a good way to play it now?

Yes! Look for The Ur-Quan Masters, it combines the PC version with the 3D0 version that had voices into a nice package that runs on modern systems and I think is entirely free at this point. There is a little bit of hoops to jump through to get all the bits installed I think but it’s not too tough.

I’m old enough to have played it’s spiritual predecessors Starflight 1/2 but those are a little too archaic, SC2/Ur-Quan are much more accessible to a modern gamer (but it’s still from the mid-90s so you know…)

I really can’t think of anything that’s come along that quite has the same feel.

The ship to ship combat is definitely tough to deal with but thankfully it’s not super prevalent

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011

Hal Insandenza posted:

Yes! Look for The Ur-Quan Masters, it combines the PC version with the 3D0 version that had voices into a nice package that runs on modern systems and I think is entirely free at this point. There is a little bit of hoops to jump through to get all the bits installed I think but it’s not too tough.

I’m old enough to have played it’s spiritual predecessors Starflight 1/2 but those are a little too archaic, SC2/Ur-Quan are much more accessible to a modern gamer (but it’s still from the mid-90s so you know…)

I really can’t think of anything that’s come along that quite has the same feel.

The ship to ship combat is definitely tough to deal with but thankfully it’s not super prevalent

Ship to ship was weird for the campaign, but 1 v 1 deathmatch in Ur-Quan Masters was dope. Obligatory signup and play Ur-Quan if you haven't recommendation.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i was recently just playing ur-quan masters again based off a disord convo about playing games ironman that weren't meant to be played ironman.

i'm in.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Hal Insandenza posted:

I probably can’t play in this game but I just wanted to say Star Control 2 is one of my favorite games too

I might play if I knew I would get to be a Spathi

I’d be willing to make you guaranteed Spathi and simply randomize whether spathi are scum or town, I mean they are cowards after all

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Tracker would be most on flavor for them but there ain’t no tracker here

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
BONE ZONE 2

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
ur a quan

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

i would like to play as kingdok

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Hello extremely! I hope you like to *play*! Some *campers* are not so good for *games*. Is it time for *playing* yet?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
yeah sure

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Pander posted:

Hello extremely! I hope you like to *play*! Some *campers* are not so good for *games*. Is it time for *playing* yet?

Ohhhhhhh poo poo Pander's playing. This is gonna be good.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

I'm absolutely gonna flavor post most of the races during the game because gently caress I love SC2.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Pander posted:

I'm absolutely gonna flavor post most of the races during the game because gently caress I love SC2.

Yeah buddy! I almost demanded to be a Melnorme instead

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

come play, m'lord

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Hal Insandenza posted:

Yeah buddy! I almost demanded to be a Melnorme instead

crazy how the mael'num became interstellar comprador bourgeoisie

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
ill play

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Ya ok

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm prolly gonna still be on New Lurk Meta but this sounds cool so why not

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

The good thing is that if you're dead weight we can sell you for fuel!

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

3 more to go, join this game folks

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Am I a player now?

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Hal Incandenza posted:

Am I a player now?

oh do you wanna be?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

shwinnebego posted:

oh do you wanna be?

I was happy to co-modulate, but I am in the player list so I am happy to also be a player to get things going!

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Oh you should co modulate for sure

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i'm confused

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

confused posted:

i'm confused

Hi Confused