Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for October, 2023?
This poll is closed.
:rant: Eddie Kingston (ROH World Champion) 12 18.75%
:smug: MJF (AEW Champion) 22 34.38%
:rockstar: Yuma Aoyagi (Triple Crown Champion) 4 6.25%
:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) 1 1.56%
:cloudnine: IYO SKY (WWE Women's Champion) 0 0%
:sparkles: Trinity (Impact Knocksout Champion) 1 1.56%
Blake Christian (GCW Champion) 0 0%
:viconia: Jake Lee (FORMER GHC Champion) 0 0%
Kenoh (GHC Champion) 2 3.13%
:gas: Saraya (FORMER AEW Women's Champion) 1 1.56%
:gitgudhorn: Hikaru Shida (AEW Women's Champion) 2 3.13%
Alex Shelley (Impact World Champion) 3 4.69%
Mizuki (FORMER Princess of Princess Champion) 0 0%
Miyu Yamashita (Princess of Princess Champion) 9 14.06%
:ussr: SANADA (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) 1 1.56%
Tam Nakano (World of Stardom Champion) 1 1.56%
T-Hawk (G-REX Champion) 0 0%
:thisagain: None of the Above 5 7.81%
Total: 64 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The world got a little less cold in September, as Eddie Kingston followed up his big ROH World Championship win by becoming The Kayfabe Octagon's Pro-Wrestling Champion of the Month. It was the first time he had ever won a month, and he did so in dominant fashion with over 75% of the almost 100 votes cast. The nearest competitor was August's winner MJF, who only managed 6 votes, with DDT's Chris Brookes and All Japan's Yuma Aoyagi taking a joint 3rd place with three votes each. This was the third month ROH had won the Champ of the Month poll for TKO this year, but the first time it was the World Champion doing so, as the previous two wins came from Women's Champion Athena. With AEW celebrating it's 4th Anniversary in early October, it's remarkable to think that back when it started Eddie Kingston was seriously considering selling his wrestling boots just to help make a mortgage payment for the month. Now he's traveling the world, meeting his heroes, is New Japan Strong Champion, ROH Champion, finally got closure with long time rival/enemy Claudio Castagnoli, and more importantly than all of that has become The Kayfabe Octagon's Champion of the Month for September, 2023! Eddie Kingston, when contacted for comment, had this important message.

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Chris Brookes (DDT), Emi Sakura (Gatoh Move), Madoka Kikuta (Dragon Gate), Mayu Iwatani (IWGP Women's), Rhea Ripley, and Roman Reigns (WWE) did not defend their titles this month and are temporarily removed from the poll. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

:rant: Eddie Kingston (ROH World Champion) - Eddie's first defense of the ROH Title came at AEW Collision, where he defeated Komander in just over 10 minutes. But the one that REALLY stood out was the "Buy In" show for AEW Dynamite on a week it was running head-to-head with NXT due to having to shift days. Eddie's challenger was Minoru Suzuki, the "Murder Grandpa", and the crowd ate it up as Eddie and Suzuki beat the poo poo out of each other for our entertainment, but also their own enjoyment. Real sicko poo poo. Awesome.

:smug: MJF (AEW Champion) - Amidst all the comedy with Adam Cole, Roddy Strong and Max Caster, you could be excused for thinking that MJF was looking a little less than champion-like as he's essentially been bullied out of physical possession of his AEW Title by the detestable pervert Switchblade Jay White and his Bang Bang Gang. Sidelining a woefully ill-timed anti-semitic angle with Juice Robinson, MJF has also been under siege by multiple chickens coming home to roost, with the likes of WARDLOW and Samoa Joe also seeing him as vulnerable and the title up for grabs. But amongst all that, at the end of October a minor side-angle of MJF approaching surpassing Kenny Omega's record run as AEW Champion culminated in a title match on Collision that turned out to be one of the best wrestling matches of the year. For almost the entire match, one minor injection by Don Callis aside, it was just two incredible wrestlers wrestling... incredibly! Another reminder of just how good MJF is at such a ridiculously young age.

:rockstar: Yuma Aoyagi (Triple Crown Champion) - The young Aoyagi had his fifth successful title defense in October, defeating the ace of All Japan Kento Miyahara. This came as a surprise to the recently departed from NOAH Katsuhiko Nakajima, who showed up with flowers to congratulate Miyahara on what he thought was a guaranteed victory, and ended up beating him up with them instead. Nakajima then crashed the All Japan Halloween Party to challenge Aoyagi to a title match in the future too, assuming he can do what Miyahara couldn't. Can he? Only the future knows, but Aoyagi remains the Triple Crown Champion for October of 2023.

:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) - Technically speaking, this month Athena only had one title defense, beating Leyla Hirsch at the start of October in a match filmed during September. She did have one title match in October too, but it won't air until November. Whatever the result of that match, it marks Athena as the ROH Women's Champion for October of 2023.

:cloudnine: IYO SKY (WWE Women's Champion) - After defeating Asuka and Charlotte Flair at Fastlane in a Triple Threat, IYO SKY followed that up with a singles victory over Charlotte Flair on Smackdown and ended the month as champion.

:sparkles: Trinity (Impact Knocksout Champion) - In addition to defending her title against Emersyn Jayne in Scotland as part of the UK Invasion tour, Trinity also defeated Mickie James - who had never been defeated for the title in the first place - and got her third victory over former champion Deonna Purrazzo to well and truly strengthen her grip on the title. Trinity is really seeking to bring legitimacy to her title reign and to the title itself, for a promotion that is going to start calling itself Tits 'n' rear end Wrestling again fairly soon. Yep.

Blake Christian (GCW Champion) - Continuing his impressive series of title defenses since winning the title in June, Christian defeated Jimmy Lloyd (New Jersey), Jordan Oliver (Tokyo) and Paul London (Los Angeles) in October to mark his 20th title defense in only 4 months, averaging out to roughly a title defense a week!

:viconia: Jake Lee (FORMER GHC Champion) - The Jake Lee Legitimacy Run.... is over! Having defeated absolutely everybody considered a top star by NOAH, Lee had established his shift from All Japan had not been a mistake, and cemented his legitimacy. There was only one blotch on his record, a singles loss in a non-title match during the N-1 Tournament against an angry, angry, angry man. But could anger alone derail Jake Lee's continued success?

Kenoh (GHC Champion) - Yes it could! Kenoh kicked the living poo poo out of Jake Lee, defeated him for the title, immediately got challenged by former Kongoh squadmate Manabu Soya, and declared they would wrestle in January. Thus, Kenoh will have at least a couple of months with the title, and in perfect Kenoh fashion his triumph and his flexing of his new authority saw him... just as angry as ever, just in a slightly different direction now!

:gas: Saraya (FORMER AEW Women's Champion) - Having won the title in her home country in Wembley Stadium in front of 80,000+ fans, Saraya hit what may have been one of the highlights of her career. But it also quickly fell apart as her former squadmate Toni Storm lost her goddamn mind, leaving Saraya and Ruby Soho scrambling to deal with the many enemies they'd made AND Storm's insanity too. All of which left Saraya open for...

:gitgudhorn: Hikaru Shida (AEW Women's Champion) - Winning back the title she lost in Wembley, Shida followed it up quickly with a successful defense two weeks later against Saraya's squadmate Ruby Soho, before a delightful match in front of a hot crowd (no matter what Bryan Alvarez claims) against the monster Abadon, who has a history of terrifying Hikaru Shida.... but maybe not Ada Wong! camera shakes wildly

Alex Shelley (Impact World Champion) - After skipping any title defenses in September, Alex Shelley made up for it by successfully defeating former champions Josh Alexander and Jonathan Gresham in back-to-back events for Bound for Glory and the fallout show the next day. Shelley continues to work to build up the legitimacy of his title reign, doing it as fast as he can because Impact has decided what little headway it had made against its terrible prior reputation needed to be undone by becoming known as Tits 'n' rear end Wrestling again.

Mizuki (FORMER Princess of Princess Champion) - That loving rabbit delights in stealing the dreams of others, taking a glee in destroying their hopes while peer Rika Tatsumi does it because she thinks she's the protagonist of the world and this is actually a triumph. Both Rika and Mizuki have something else in common though, which is that your dream-destroying antics only go so far before they run into the coolest, most badass woman in the world.

Miyu Yamashita (Princess of Princess Champion) - Hell yeah.

:ussr: SANADA (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) - SANADA started his reign as Champion with a roar, defeating Okada, then former squadmate Hiromu Takahashi and then Jack Perry at the Forbidden Door PPV. But then he was dragged down by the endless morass that is the House of Torture, his title being "stolen" by his former tag partner EVIL and trudging his way through the utter misery of a House of Torture angle that ran for WEEKS until finally he beat EVIL at Destruction and finally set it all behind him. Now he has former stablemate/leader Naito as his final obstacle to total triumph, while Naito himself seeks another shot at the "perfect" climax to his pursuit of the title, but that won't be until January of 2024. This is a typical quiet period for the IWGP Champion, but SANADA's reign has suffered because the hiatus follows the awful boredom of the House of Torture bullshit. What a shame.

Tam Nakano (World of Stardom Champion) - As the current leader of Oedo Tai, Tora has seen some success by winning the Artist of Stardom Championship, but she hasn't been able to get to that upper level of the Wonder of Stardom or World of Stardom Titles. She tried again at Golden Fight in October, but Tam Nakano could not be denied, retaining her title in just over 20 minutes for her second successful defense.

T-Hawk (G-REX Champion) - After a couple of months without title defenses, T-Hawk once again successfully defended his title, this time against Shuji Ishikawa at the GLEAT vs. Kyoteki show in Korakuen Hall.

:thisagain: None of the Above - If you look at the champs on offer and all you can think is,"This again?", or you just want to vote None of the Above, then this is the option for you.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the TNA champion

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

:thisagain:

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I hate voting against Eddie but god /drat/ that MJF/Kenny match.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Voted very confidently for our scumbag MJF. It’s because I think his reign is in a lot of danger from multiple opponents and I would like to send him all of the energy I can. Also AEW is the only show I watch.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Sanada is cool and muscly and handsome.

Also, my co-worker saw him live in Korakuen hall bashing Evil's head into the wall near her.

These are good and respectable reasons to vote for him. Because I am a good and respectable gentleman.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Easy win for my boy Yuma, an absolutely fantastic title match with Kento last match, even AEW house writer Dave Meltzer gave their match ****¾

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

It's either Yuma or Miyu, and I think it was a mistake putting the title back on Miyu at a time where Mizuki could have been established as a bonafide main eventer going forward

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

As long as Eddie holds a belt, you should be voting for him.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
OI~!

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Miyu

because she's cool

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

voting Trinity till i DIE!

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I hate voting against Eddie but god /drat/ that MJF/Kenny match.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

1 day in and 4 days to go, MJF holds the lead but it's far from an insurmountable one, with Miyu Yamashita only one incredibly cool spinkick away from catching up and a backfist spinning Eddie Kingston following in her wake. Vote for you who you want when you want, but just make sure you vote!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Still 3 days to get in your vote (please do)

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

it's Yuma and it always has been

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sticky Nate posted:

it's Yuma and it always has been

You have two days to make this goon's dreams come true, or dash them expertly!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

We're into the last day for voting and this is one of the worst totals in a year of pretty appalling monthly votes (last month was much better!) so please I'm begging you, do the most important thing you can do in your entire life and vote in this Internet Forum's Wrestling Subforum's monthly poll for picking a favorite wrestling champion!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i voted miyu because none of these other champs were doing it for me and she has cool kicks

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i voted miyu because none of these other champs were doing it for me and she has cool kicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qtbAPj9AFU

Also it's not like I could stop anybody!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Voted Athena because she's been dominant, entertaining, and should win all the men's titles too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

Voted Athena because she's been dominant, entertaining, and should win all the men's titles too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qtbAPj9AFU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

We're down to the wire, please sweet baby Jesus, I am begging you down on my knees like Joliet Jake to vote, vote, vote :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

With a paltry, pathetic, puny, pitiful 64 votes for the entire month, we were still left with a winner thanks to those tiny few who took the 0.000001 seconds it takes to click a button and make their vote. The results flipped from September, with MJF and Eddie Kingston trading places and MJF returning to the top of TKO's favorite Champions list for the fourth time this year. When somebody tries to say "TKO doesn't like MJF anymore" remember that from a consensus standpoint we know that simply isn't true. But what about those people who didn't vote? gently caress 'em, that's what about 'em! Anyway, the winner is in! MJF is a four-time Champ of the Month for 2023, with Eddie Kingston taking second place for ROH and Miyu Yamashita the third place spot for TJPW. That means 7 of the last 10 months have been won by an AEW or ROH (owned by the same person) Champion, with the other three spots going to New Japan Pro-Wrestling. What will November bring? Hopefully more goddamn votes!

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 7, 2023

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nintendo 64 oh my god.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

pput will ospreay in, he shold win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004