Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Pro-Wrestling Champion for November, 2023?
This poll is closed.
:smug: MJF (AEW Champion) 3 5.08%
:rant: Eddie Kingston (ROH World Champion) 5 8.47%
:rockstar: Yuma Aoyagi (FORMER Triple Crown Champion) 2 3.39%
:krad: Katsuhiko Nakajima (Triple Crown Champion) 0 0%
Alex Shelley (Impact World Champion) 2 3.39%
:gitgudhorn: Hikaru Shida (FORMER AEW Women's Champion) 3 5.08%
:byodame: Toni Storm (AEW Women's Champion) 8 13.56%
:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) 12 20.34%
:sparkles: Trinity (Impact Knocksout Champion) 1 1.69%
Blake Christian (GCW Champion) 1 1.69%
:cloudnine: IYO SKY (WWE Women's Champion) 0 0%
T-Hawk (G-REX Champion) 0 0%
:gritin: Chris Brookes (FORMER KO-D Openweight Champion) 5 8.47%
:sora: Yuki Ueno (KO-D Openweight Champion) 12 20.34%
Madoka Kikuta (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 1 1.69%
Mayu Iwatani (IWGP Women's Champion) 0 0%
:rip: Rhea Ripley (WWE Women's World Champion) 0 0%
:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Champion) 1 1.69%
:shitman: None of the Above 3 5.08%
Total: 59 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As we find ourselves somehow already at the tail end of another year, it's time to vote for 2023's penultimate Champion of the Month! In October, with a paltry, pathetic, puny, pitiful 64 votes for the entire month, we were still left with a winner thanks to those tiny few who took the 0.000001 seconds it takes to click a button and make their vote. The results flipped from September, with MJF and Eddie Kingston trading places and MJF returning to the top of TKO's favorite Champions list for the fourth time this year. I said then that from a consensus standpoint we knew it simply wasn't true somebody tried to say "TKO doesn't like MJF anymore"... but maybe I'll be proven wrong on that front for November! But as things currently stand, MJF is a four-time Champ of the Month for 2023, with Eddie Kingston taking second place in October for ROH and Miyu Yamashita the third place October spot for TJPW. That means 7 of the last 10 months have been won by an AEW or ROH (owned by the same person) Champion, with the other three spots going to New Japan Pro-Wrestling. What will November bring? Hopefully more goddamn votes!

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Emi Sakura (Gatoh Move), Kenoh (NOAH), Miyu Yamashita (TJPW), SANADA (New Japan), and Tam Nakano (Stardom, title vacated) did not defend their titles this month and are temporarily removed from the poll. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

:smug: MJF (AEW Champion) - Hoo boy. His match with Switchblade Jay White at Full Gear was really drat good, but that might not be enough this month to repeat the win he took in October. Surrounded by a powerfully stupid angle where initially his belt was going to just be handed to Switchblade before MJF was almost replaced by a proxy in Adam Cole (who can't walk currently!), eventually all the bullshit ended and MJF came to the ring and just had a really, really, really good match. But people were mad about it, and talked about it, and argued about it, and sighed about it, and now his own injury is having to be weaved into a (very interesting!) story about Samoa Joe protecting him so he can destroy him at World's End in December. Maybe you'll vote for MJF this month, maybe you won't, but it was a hell of a weird month!

:rant: Eddie Kingston (ROH World Champion) - Confusion over exactly what was happening with the Continental Classic aside, Eddie Kingston is STILL the ROH Champion, but that might not be the case by the end of December as he has put the title and his New Japan Strong belt up to sweeten the pot to go with the Continental Title awarded to the winner of the tournament. Before then though, Eddie finished up his business with old friend Jay Lethal, beating his rear end in front of his mother just like he promised, after tearing down Lethal for making a clown of himself with his affiliation with Jeff Jarrett, Karen Jarrett, Sonjay Dutt and Satnam Singh. You're never in doubt about where you stand with Eddie!

:rockstar: Yuma Aoyagi (FORMER Triple Crown Champion) - His sixth title defense was his last, as the young wunderkid Aoyagi ran into another former prodigy who had come after his recent departure from NOAH to congratulate Aoyagi's opponent Kento Miyahara on winning the Triple Crown. Except Miyahara lost! So instead Miyahara got whapped and then Aoyagi - after 24 minutes - found his Triple Crown run over, all thanks to...

:krad: Katsuhiko Nakajima (Triple Crown Champion) - Yes, the grinning maniac had arrived in All Japan, immediately leapfrogging to the top of the promotion even faster than All Japan's Jake Lee had done the same in NOAH. As annoying as he is charismatic, the hard kicking jerk who keeps making Kento Miyahara's life a living nightmare did the same to Yuma Aoyagi by taking his belt from him.

Alex Shelley (Impact World Champion) - Continuing to prove the truth of that "Yup" response to asking if he could win the title, Shelley added another former world champion (this one for ROH) to his list of victories when he beat Jonathan Gresham in Cicero in early November.

:gitgudhorn: Hikaru Shida (FORMER AEW Women's Champion) - It's hard to say poor Shida given she's now a 3 time AEW Women's Champion, and she got to wrestle in front of 70,000+ (and 80,000+ paid) fans in Wembley for her second run, but her last two runs have been comparatively short, with her first lasting over a year but taking place during the pandemic. This time though she couldn't deny the runaway freight train that the unhinged Toni Storm had became, and she lost the belt for a third time.

:byodame: Toni Storm (AEW Women's Champion) - "Timeless" Toni Storm has found a new gimmick that works and she is gripping on for dear life. Now playing effectively a disgraced former silent film star, the deranged Storm makes her ring entrance in black and white, has a butler (Luther!), has roped in RJ City as her "producer" and even has a devoted fan in Mariah May. It doesn't work for every fan but it certainly works for enough, and has put Toni Storm into rarefied air as the only - along with Hikaru Shida - 3 time AEW Women's Champion.

:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) - The match itself happened in late October but didn't air till November, so this month we have an option to vote for Athena - who won Champ of the Month for June and July - after she defeated Mercedes Martinez in 13 minutes. She spent the rest of the month making news for the sudden and unexpected appearance of Ronda Rousey at a ROH Show to team with friend Marina Shafir against Athena and Billie, but it's only the title match that stands in consideration for this poll.

:sparkles: Trinity (Impact Knocksout Champion) - Following her Bound for Glory victory in late October over former (never-defeated) champion Mickie James, Trinity for the third time in almost as many months defeated former champion Deonna Purrazzo at the Turning Point show in England, in a match that also had former champion Gail Kim acting as the special referee.

Blake Christian (GCW Champion) - Blake Christian's frankly insane schedule continued unabated in November, with successful title defenses against Warhorse, Tank, Schaff and Billie Starkz.

:cloudnine: IYO SKY (WWE Women's Champion) - IYO SKY, currently on top of the world at the head of a re-jigged Damage CTRL that includes KAIRI and Asuka and appears to be sidelining original founder Bayley, successfully defended her title at the Blood Money show in Saudi Arabia, defeating Bianca Belair.

T-Hawk (G-REX Champion) - T-Hawk continued his winning ways, with his 5th successful defense of the G-REX title when he beat Masato Kamino at GLEAT's Burn Your Heart show in November. He still has another 3 successful title defenses to go before he equals the record of inaugural champion El Lindaman. Can he make it? And can he get your vote this month?

:gritin: Chris Brookes (FORMER KO-D Openweight Champion) - It's a drat shame that on only his third title defense, Brookes lost the title he had only so recently won in July. It was an incredible match, and Brookes came out of it heading up a new stable of (I think?) heels, but he'd done his job, getting to enjoy some well-deserved time as champion before putting over the absolute future of the promotion in...

:sora: Yuki Ueno (KO-D Openweight Champion) - Always the bridesmaid but never the bride, Ueno finally pushed past that curse and got hitched! To the KO-D Openweight Title! In an absolutely incredible 30 minute match at DDT's Ultimate Party - a 5 hour show that didn't remotely feel it - Ueno ended the show on an incredibly high note, finally realizing his promise. In a very emotional show ending promo, Ueno showed he was more than ready to step into the figurehead role at DDT, often touted for its comedy but also capable of wrestling of the highest standard. In a post-credits closure to the show he paid tribute to the retiring Saki Akai, lead the final roster pose, and perhaps most emotionally was openly embraced by long-time friend and recent rival Konosuke Takeshita, who had overshadowed so much of Ueno's career to this point. Chris Brookes was a deserving champion, but Ueno took things to another level at Ultimate Party, it was something to behold.

Madoka Kikuta (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - People were raving about this match after it happened, Kikuta making his 3rd successful title defense against BIG BOSS Shimizu. Unfortunately, not many people watch Dragongate, but if you're one of the ones who do, and if you loved this match and you love Kikuta, show it in the most meaningful and beautiful way possible: by voting!

Mayu Iwatani (IWGP Women's Champion) - 7 months after winning the title, Mayu Iwatani had her second title defense, defeating Stephanie Vaquer at NJPW STRONG's Lonestar Shootout show in Texas. The match was fine, and Iwatani has long been lauded as a star, but the title has fallen pretty far from its initial high standing a year ago when KAIRI defeated Iwatani to win the inaugural title at a New Japan/Stardom crossover show, and went on to defend it at Wrestle Kingdom. Or maybe you disagree!?! The only way to know... is to vote!

:rip: Rhea Ripley (WWE Women's World Champion) - After surviving a Fatal Fiveway at the Blood Money Show in Saudi Arabia, Rhea Ripley faced one of those losing challengers in a singles match at Survivor Series later in the month, and beat her there too.

:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Champion) - Lured out by Blood Money for his first title defense in 3 months, Roman Reigns claimed that challenger LA Knight was going to be just like all the rest and talk a big game then lose. LA Knight however begged to differ, he was bringing something different to their fight, something that Roman Reigns wouldn't be prepared for! So after talking a big game, LA Knight lost.

:shitman: None of the Above - If you think the available champions are poo poo and that Butt "The Shitman" Fart is to blame for the poor choice, or you just want to see the results, or you can't bring yourself to care about any of the champs on offer, then None of the Above is the option for you!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Words can't really express how cathartic and emotional Ueno's big win and the follow-up show-closing promo and post-credits sequence for DDT Ultimate Party were. I went into that show thinking of Ueno as a kind of joke: the guy who always wrestles great and then loses, and he had completely turned me around by the end of the match, and dragged me even further forward after the acknowledgement of Saki Akai and the hug with Takeshita. Goddamn, DDT hits REAL GOOD sometimes.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

add me

That DICK! fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 1, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I completely agree with the Yuki Ueno post, which is why I'm voting for Chris Brookes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This poll is only for fake fighting, not the real combat sports!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I completely agree with the Yuki Ueno post, which is why I'm voting for Chris Brookes.

He was absolutely an integral part of what made that match work so well for sure.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I'm also just sad that Eddie just HAD to go and win the ROH Championship the one month I could have happily voted for Chris, therefore stealing my vote away! Unfair! :mad:

For a serious post, Ueno's win was spectacular and I think a lot of that has to do with how god drat good Chris Brookes is as a foil. I can't get over that Saki Akai match, which if it wasn't for Maki Itoh vs. MIZUKI would be my favorite top championship match of the year. Brookes coming into the event with the momentum he had lead Ueno to have that charged victory. I think his run deserves real recognition while it still can be recognized. It was short at three defenses but I can't think of three sweeter defenses. So yeah, great stuff all around!

Ueno rules though for real, no complaints from me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I definitely expected Brookes' run to last at least a little longer, maybe to the end of this year or the start of the next. He was my favorite of the two going in, Ueno just finally made me believe in him the way a lot of other people already did despite him always failing in the big matches (until now!)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Tag-Team of the Month poll will be up once cagematch stops being erratic and I can look everything up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Has to be the big dog Roman reigns

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Wanted to vote for Aoyagi but I will compromise and vote for Ueno

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

Wanted to vote for Aoyagi but I will compromise and vote for Ueno

Yeah the Aoyagi/Nakajima match was fantastic but Ueno/Brookes managed something nearly as good at the end of a 5+ hour marathon of a show, the post-credits scene with Saki and Take was just the icing on the cake

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Another thing that really blew me away about that show was that after 5 hours AND the show having basically been over for 5-10 minutes because of all the backstage epilogue stuff, when Hirata ran back to hide under the ring for a little fun wrap-up, a good portion of the crowd were still just hanging around hoping to see more. It was an amazing experience.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Yuma

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't know. i voted for your pick if you picked the same person as me

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Cavauro posted:

i don't know. i voted for your pick if you picked the same person as me

you shoulda picked Trinity ya punk

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

1 day in, 4 to go, and it's neck and neck so far between Ueno & Athena but with plenty of others still within reach. Vote, vote like your very lives depended on it!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I voted for the big booty big thigh guy (Kikuta)

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Voted for Eddie Kingston cause I want him to do well in the C2 and maybe even win it

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Roman voter should have to explain themselves. Guy is ice cold at this point.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

81sidewinder posted:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Aww, did they get rid of the giant statue of Roman cumming?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

81sidewinder posted:

He’s the biggest draw in wrestling. Not that complicated.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2 days down, 3 to go, and it's STILL neck and neck between Ueno and Athena and there are STILL plenty of other champions well within reach of 1st place. Vote!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Chris Brookes is tall. Also he is friends with Maki Itoh.

Therefore he gets my vote.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

3 days in, 2 to go, and now Athena holds a simple one vote lead because, of course, every vote matters! Yes that includes yours, so vote!

bartok
May 10, 2006

I'm one of the freaks that voted for Alex Shelley but goddamn that Gresham match was so good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ShKKpp4cuw

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

4 days in, 1 day to go, and we're back to a tie between Ueno and Athena. We're also currently below last month's no good, very bad, awful number of votes. Are you, yes YOU, really going to let October's pitiful numbers make YOU look bad!?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is it, you have to vote, this is your last chance. Jesus. It's really easy!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

vote

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

vote

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You all heard the two Cavauros, vote!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

such a lonely poll and it's mine
the most loneliest poll in my life

and if you vote
i wanna vote with you
and if you die
i wanna die with you

take your hand and vote away

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Can’t believe Athena’s finally taken the lead. What an exciting poll this has been!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Because one vote simply can never and will never make a difference, many goons didn't bother to take the 0.0000000000000001 seconds it takes to make a vote in November, because what would be the point, one extra vote never makes a difference. Oh sure you can pretty things up with talks about democracy and having your voice heard and all that, but let's all be cynical and accept the cold hard truth that one vote never, ever, ever makes a difference. Anyway, Athena and Yuki Ueno tied for 1st place this week because at least one person didn't bother to vote, making a huge difference to the final result. Vote you fucks, Jesus Christ. DDT becomes only the 4th promotion to make it to the winners circle in 2023, sharing the top place on the podium with ROH as Athena makes it three months as The Kayfabe Octagon's Champion of the Month, only one behind MJF for 2023. Next month we'll see who you don't bother to vote for, but even though this month had a pathetic number of votes, those votes say that ROH's Athena and DDT's Yuki Ueno were The Kayfabe Octagon's favorite champions for November of 2023.

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 6, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I'm happy that more people didn't vote because the result is what I wanted

Also

Jerusalem posted:

Athena makes it three months as The Kayfabe Octagon's Champion of the Month, currently in equal first place with MJF for 2023.

This is not true. MJF = 4 months Athena = 3 months

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

fez_machine posted:

This is not true. MJF = 4 months Athena = 3 months

I confused myself because I was thinking about promotions and ROH having 4 top finishes this year :doh:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I am happy the low amount of voters allowed a DDT victory

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Maybe he's not MY champion :colbert: ...but I'm really happy DDT got its due after a year of fantastic shows on Wrestle Universe :)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Also I have to lodge a formal complaint, Eddie Kingston has vacated the ROH title so he should be a FORMER champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Senerio posted:

Also I have to lodge a formal complaint, Eddie Kingston has vacated the ROH title so he should be a FORMER champion.

Ah, good. We can knock this AEW secondary title from the poll going forward now.