Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.
Catching Connor's eye, Simon gulps and nods obediently. Today is not the day he wants a speeding ticket.

He stands up, fishing around in his pockets for the keys to the van, and takes a few steps toward the exit. Who's joining? His eyes scan the group questioningly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

Shellception posted:

"The nearest section of forest to his house is just a couple streets away from it" she says. "But the usual forest paths are here and here" She traces two lines on the map with a ballpoint pen, not bothering to ask for permission. "We can't know exactly where he went, but he probably took the southernmost, the one closer to home. Easier to go back with a handful of lumber from there"

"Has anyone found his truck? That'd at least tell us where he went into the forest. Heck, if he's got.. trees..? Lumber..? Stuff in it, that would give us an idea how long he was in there before he got spooked, or whatever."

Seeing everyone getting up and ready to leave, Randy eyes the nearby cafe wistfully. "Anyone want coffee? I'd kill for a cup, and I can get some and meet up with you all if you tell me where we're headed next?"

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Faust

"Forest sounds good. I'll see if I can find any traces of... whatever went down there."

A basic scrying to start with, just to get a feeling for the background magick. If that brings up nothing, connect with the local spirits. Nia makes for a good conduit usually, although that new guy Hendrick's talk about the universe makes Faust suspect this might be the way to go here. Definitely don't start with that sort of thing though, the last thing we need is people getting possessed by angry tree spirits.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Hendrick

Hendrick thinks a little about how the chief seems to know something about the factory that doesn't speak well of it being nonthreatening in and of itself beyond just what the universe summed up for him, but ultimately shrugs. The locals are sure to have more detailed information if it comes up, and it's not clear it's linked to Matt specifically as of yet, so it'll be fine putting this on the backburner for the moment.

"The forest where he was found sounds like a decent place to start while we don't have more obvious leads. If we can trace where he ran from, good chance we either find what he ran from or signs of it."

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 4, 2024

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Nia

"I also think the forest is a good first place to start. Who knows, maybe the culprit returned to the scene of the crime."

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

SporkChan posted:

"Has anyone found his truck? That'd at least tell us where he went into the forest. Heck, if he's got.. trees..? Lumber..? Stuff in it, that would give us an idea how long he was in there before he got spooked, or whatever."

Seeing everyone getting up and ready to leave, Randy eyes the nearby cafe wistfully. "Anyone want coffee? I'd kill for a cup, and I can get some and meet up with you all if you tell me where we're headed next?"

"He didn't take the family van. Probably didn't think he would need it" the officer mentions. "We think he took a bike, as his wife reported it missing from the garage. But we haven't found it still"

She sees you eyeing the cafe as the others pile up back in the van, and addresses Simon. "Do you think you can make it to the marked spot? I'll guide your partner there as soon as he's had his coffee"

---

To Nia, Hendrick, Simon, Faust and Connor

Despite having Connor's map and GPS, it actually takes you a bit longer than you expected to arrive. It guides you out of the town, on a road that's barely more asphalt than dust before dissolving entirely into a dirt road surrounded by arid fields, the dark treeline standing to your right. After a turn, you all spot a narrow path that goes straight inside the forest; it's probably one of the paths to the woods that Officer Harris mentioned.

Simon gets the van as closer as possible to the treeline, not caring about the bumps and fallen branches, nor about your complaints. He stops only when the path gets too narrow to keep going, parking it to the side of the road.

You are now in the outskirts of the forest, surrounded by some smaller trees and bushes, but in front of you you can see them giving way to densely packed taller, older trees. The morning light filters through the leaves, illuminating the area pretty well. The air feels chilly and moist, as if the coldness was agressively trying to permeate through your coats. To your back, you can see the path you came through, opening back to the fields several meters back.

A few steps ahead of you, a quick glance tells you all where the crime scene is; someone used a whole stash of POLICE - DO NOT CROSS tape to cut off a section of the path, slightly off to the right of it. The plants nearby have been squished and there are clear marks on the mud. Some are footsteps, presumably from the rescue team, but some are slashes and go way deeper, probably indicating someone was running. Broken branches only reinforce the impression, but any damage to the forest seems to have mimetized with it pretty well.

Apart from looking around for clues, this could be a good moment to Investigate a Mystery or use Magic (depending on your favored way of doing research), but remember to always describe what you are doing and how before rolling. For Magic, also remember there is a list of spells listed in the first post.

To Randy

You make small talk with the officer as you both work your way through a couple mugs of morning coffee. She seems nice past the official face, you think, and you'd never have expecter her to be so into town gossip, but it feels good to have some pause before the action. At some point, you see her looking at her watch again.

"It's running late. We should go" she notes. "I can take you to the crime scene. Karla is also probably at home already, if you want us to step by her place"

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Faust

Faust places his backpack on the forest floor and unpacks a few sigils, ingredients and a dowsing rod.

"I think the Ittau Ritual would be a good starting option." he tells the group. "Bonds well with nature and is broad enough to give us a general idea if there is anything and how strong it is. Unless one of you can sense anything?"

He looks at Nia, his usual go-to person when it comes to magickal intuition, then at Hendrick.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Cloacamazing! posted:

Faust

Faust places his backpack on the forest floor and unpacks a few sigils, ingredients and a dowsing rod.

"I think the Ittau Ritual would be a good starting option." he tells the group. "Bonds well with nature and is broad enough to give us a general idea if there is anything and how strong it is. Unless one of you can sense anything?"

He looks at Nia, his usual go-to person when it comes to magickal intuition, then at Hendrick.

"Good back-up option. I'm just gonna go directly for the psychometry."

Nia finds a decent spot to sit down, crosses her legs, and focuses, closing her eyes.

Matt was scared. Find the fear, lingering in the ether... focus on it.

Follow the thread, inch by inch. Pull the rope. Drag the past into the present.

What did Matt see? What attacked him? Was it human, or monstrous?

Use Magic (Observe another place or time): 2d6+2 10

(Perfect!)

"I think I've got something, give me a second."

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hendrick

Hendrick hops out of the van, and immediately beelines for where Matt was found and starts trying to follow his tracks backwards in single-minded pursuit of what he continues to figure is the most direct approach to at least starting to get to the bottom of this; finding whatever it was that attacked him.

The investigation into the tracks isn't quite as smooth as he'd have liked, but he does succeed at learning what he hoped to find out, even if he doesn't learn anything else. He's a bit far down the trail when he realizes Faust was saying something that he maybe should have paid attention to. Oh well, once it's found it'll be a lot easier to prepare for whatever's needed to deal with it anyway.

Rolled a 9 to investigate a mystery. The question I'd like to have answered is "Where did [whatever attacked Matt] go?"

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 4, 2024

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Simon

As the team steps out of the van and takes in their surroundings, Simon's eyes wander to the trail left in the mud. Footprints mar the loamy forest floor, undoubtedly the lumberjack's. Stooping closer to examine the marks, Simon frowns in concentration as he looks for additional clues.

Whatever was pursuing Matt, where did it come from?

Roll on Sharp, 2d6+1, result: 7

WindwardAway fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 4, 2024

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
To Hendrick

You inspect the scene with such concentration that you zone out a bit. Patterns, patterns... they are always there, even if they are not obvious to most people. They aren't obvious to you either in this specific moment, frustratingly enough.

Your work pays off, however, as you notice some nearly imperceptible lines on the ground. Mostly you can see the specific way some broken branches and fallen leaves are oriented - they are surprisingly aligned, as if something had slid on top of them, dragging them slightly with its movement. You take out your compass and check the direction of the lines. They go roughly in the south/southeast direction, not straight up inside the forest, but it you were to follow them, you'd end up going into the deeper part.

As you relax and smile slightly to yourself, your mind sends you another, slightly urgent, message:

"There are A LOT of lines here, aren't there...?"

To Simon

You crouch down to inspect the marks on the mud, feeling your heart beat slightly faster. Being on the hunt again triggers something inside you. It's not happyness, that's not it, but it's a vague sense of... excitement? Maybe?

You quickly realize something is amiss. All the marks in the ground point in the same direction, but they also look like they came from a pair of shoes - probably the victim's. Whatever was chasing him didn't leave a single mark on the ground. Looking up, you see that there is definitely a trail of broken branches and torn leaves. It's hard to see, but it's there.

Recognizing the signals of a chase, you go a bit further in, before turning back and seeing Hendrick stare straight at you.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Nia

Fear. Your mind slides effortlessly into the remains of what was, what, two days ago? The trail is still fresh, and you follow it down.

Fear overpowers everything, like a slightly suffocating blanket draped over your head. You force yourself to continue. There is an intense, pervasive moist smell - you'd think it's the forest, but it's not just it. It smells like fresh rain and cut grass, but it's so strong it's overpowering all your other senses.

The past posted:

Tendrils everywhere. Holding you down. Can't move. You need to get out. It's pulling you inside it, it's...

Run.

Even in the paralysis of your meditative state, you kick with all your strength, and feel the monster yield slightly. Your legs are loose. You run. Or, Matt ran.

Everywhere. It's everywhere. Tendrils.

Can't hide. Can't breathe. It's got you now, it's got you good this time, pulling down, making you fall to the ground.

You can't run. You can't see. But you can feel it creeping all over you - tightening around your arms, creeping up your neck, and then your head, as you fruitlessly try to wriggle out, to scream for help, to...

With a small scream, you break your trance, gasping for air, and look around trying to re-orient yourself.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hendrick

The relief he felt at being able to learn where to go to find this thing drains as he realizes that it, or maybe its sister or cousin or neighbor a few trees over, may be nearby given the messages from his mind. He sees Simon stumbling about pretty nearly the same way he was before he noticed the danger and when Simon turns to face him, does his best to project a quiet hiss at him:

"Quiet! There are too many lines here!"

Hendrick then closes his eyes, takes a few deep breaths, careful not to move or make any more noise than needed, slowly reopens his eyes and tries to take in the whole of the scene while still staying still.

Nothing stands out. This doesn't exactly reassure Hendrick; he looks at Simon for a second opinion.

Marking +1 experience for the failed roll.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Faust

He nods as Nia goes into her trance. Hendrick seems to have wandered off, so Faust clears his mind and recites the Ittau ritual, waving his dowsing rod around in complicated patterns.

performing a basic Ittau ritual: 2d6+2 6

Nia's sudden screaming does not help his concentration.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Connor

Nia, Hendrick and Henry practically burst from the van once Simon parks along the shoulder, and they move past the DO NOT CROSS police tape. Connor follows along taking care not to mar what could be undiscovered evidence.

Watching Henry and Nia with marked interest, Connor sees them each preparing their communing with mystical forces. If given the opportunity ask Henry what those items he uses do... He tries to observe without being caught - they obviously both know he works for the DPRC, it's not a secret, but he wants to maintain a good working relationship with both while also mentally noting anything worth sharing with his boss.

(the timeskip happens here where Nia, Hendrick and Faust relay their knowledge...)

Connor absorbs the information from his other teammates and tries to think back to his previous missions over the years, has he experienced this type of creature before?

Investigate Mystery - What sort of creature is it?: 2d6+1 5

Nope!

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Simon

Simon snorts at Hendrick telling him to hush, smirking as he waits for the other man to finish what he's doing. Imagine telling a mute guy to be quiet.

Nia's shout snaps Simon back into attention. Surely she must have seen something. But he has no time to check on her before Hendrick glances at him in the hopes of gleaning more knowledge.

Pointing upward, Simon shows him the signs of the chase. There's a trail here, he indicates, then taps the ground with his foot and shakes his head. No footprints. Whoever—or whatever—it was, it wasn't on the ground.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hendrick

Hendrick remembers Simon is mute a bit late. Whatever, he was making too much noise just bumbling around. But it's not worth it to argue over that; he watches Simon and as he absorbs what Simon is saying, realizes Simon hasn't picked up on the idea in his own head that one of the dang things might be nearby and that he was asking Simon to see if he saw anything, NOT just what the hell happened in the past.

Hendrick manages to control himself superbly and says as politely as possible while still worried something could come after both of them at any moment and neither of them might see it coming:

"Simon, that's great. I'm glad you found out these creatures are flying, and I get I didn't explain myself well earlier. Could you please do me a favor and see if you see anything that might not be obvious lurking in the area?"

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Simon

Successfully manipulated by Hendrick, +1 exp and +1 to roll.

Simon blinks. Hendrick is right; he should have thought of checking for any lurking creatures. With a nod, he scans the disturbed trees for any signs of movement.

Are we in danger here? Is there any unusual movement or noise nearby?

Roll on Sharp, +1 manipulated, 2d6+2, result: 11

WindwardAway fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 12, 2024

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

Shellception posted:

To Randy

You make small talk with the officer as you both work your way through a couple mugs of morning coffee. She seems nice past the official face, you think, and you'd never have expecter her to be so into town gossip, but it feels good to have some pause before the action. At some point, you see her looking at her watch again.

"It's running late. We should go" she notes. "I can take you to the crime scene. Karla is also probably at home already, if you want us to step by her place"

Randy

Randy nods to the sheriff and hurriedly finishes his coffee, glancing down at his phone. "Huh," he mutters, "guess no one else wanted anything."

Looking back up to the sheriff he gestures towards the street, "After you, ma'am. I think we can swing by and talk to Karla on our way out. Probably no rush there in the woods."

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Cloacamazing! posted:

Faust
He nods as Nia goes into her trance. Hendrick seems to have wandered off, so Faust clears his mind and recites the Ittau ritual, waving his dowsing rod around in complicated patterns.

performing a basic Ittau ritual: 2d6+2 6

To Faust:

You try your best to concentrate, slightly envious of how well Nia has jumped onto it, and tap the forest's energies for information. There has to be some residual magic in the place, right? Maybe there is a trail you can follow, or...

Nia's yell fully breaks your concentration; you scramble to restart the ritual, or at least close it. Uncontrolled magic, you know it well, is a shining beacon. One that signposts "HERE I AM, I HAVE MAGIC" in the spiritual equivalent of several foot high neon letters.

It doesn't work. You've lost count of the steps.

Panicking a bit, you force yourself to close the connection with an emergency severing maneouver, and finally manage to snap it down. But in the very few, very panicky seconds you used to recompose yourself, you did notice something. An all-too familiar itch on your arm, around where the magic sigil tattoos are.

You weren't alone.

And they have seen you.

WindwardAway posted:

Simon

Are we in danger here? Is there any unusual movement or noise nearby?

Roll on Sharp, Manipulated, 2d6+2, result: 11

You follow Hendrick's advice and listen very carefully to your surroundings, keeping your attention pinned to the trees in the general direction you found earlier. Being mute has few advantages of its own, but it does make you a good, sharp listener.

At first, there doesn't seem to be anything out of the usual. The wind, some bird screams in the distance, the sound of small critters on the ground. All normal forest sounds.

But, somehow, you feel the hairs in the back on your neck standing up. Something is wrong.

It's almost inaudible, but it's there. It's not background noise, and it sure as hell is not a critter. At least, not a single one. It sounds vaguely like a snake, maybe? You gesture to Hendrick and get his attention - he gestures back to you. "Where from?"

You pay closer attention, trying to pinpoint the location, and suddenly realize exactly what was wrong before. You frantically signal back to him.

"Everywhere"

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

SporkChan posted:

Randy

Randy nods to the sheriff and hurriedly finishes his coffee, glancing down at his phone. "Huh," he mutters, "guess no one else wanted anything."

Looking back up to the sheriff he gestures towards the street, "After you, ma'am. I think we can swing by and talk to Karla on our way out. Probably no rush there in the woods."

To Randy

The Sheriff nods at you and starts walking up the street. You follow her through the streets, still chitchatting. It's a bit later now, and people are starting to go out and about their morning business. She stops once or twice to say hi to people. You do notice you are tilting a bit towards the forest.

After ten minutes or so of walking, you arrive at a small house, not very different from the rest. She knocks on the door, and you hear someone moving inside.

"Coming!"

Karla:

"Oh hey, Officer. How's it going? Any news?"

"Still nothing. But that's why I am here. He" signals to Randy "is from the city. The special ops team. They are here to find out what happened... to Matt"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Nia

Nia bolts up, takes a few minutes to catch her breath, and then shares what she felt. Tendrils. Restraint. Fear.

Henry's ritual's gone awry, and Simon's feeling something coming.

"Well, at least we'll get a good look at what it is, even if we pissed it off."

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

Shellception posted:

Karla:

"Oh hey, Officer. How's it going? Any news?"

"Still nothing. But that's why I am here. He" signals to Randy "is from the city. The special ops team. They are here to find out what happened... to Matt"

Randy

Randy holds out his hand to Karla, attempting (and failing!) to hide a grin at being called a 'special ops team'.

"Morning, ma'am. Sorry to hear about your husband. How's he doing by the way, the hospital give you any updates?"

While listening to Karla's response, Randy surreptitiously glances around the room, looking for anything out of place.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Simon

Unsure of where to look, Simon reaches for his knife, placing his fingers on the handle in case he needs to unsheathe it.

He steps carefully in a circular path, scouring the hostile forest in all directions. Stay close, he signals to Hendrick.

The slithering sounds grow louder. Simon clenches his teeth as his gaze darts toward the others; he sees Nia and Faust bracing themselves for whatever it is, too.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

SporkChan posted:

Randy

Randy holds out his hand to Karla, attempting (and failing!) to hide a grin at being called a 'special ops team'.

"Morning, ma'am. Sorry to hear about your husband. How's he doing by the way, the hospital give you any updates?"

While listening to Karla's response, Randy surreptitiously glances around the room, looking for anything out of place.

To Randy:

She looks at you with a tired look. You'd assume the last few days haven't been easy on her, but there is a grateful tone on her voice.

"Getting better, they said. They hope he will... recover" she says, slowly. "Given enough time. Have you... are you from the police...?"

You take the opportunity to look at the room. It's not that big, well lit from the window, and relatively tidy, though the few toys and items of clothing scattered around tell you she hasn't still had time to clean it up yet. There are a couple dirty bowls on the table, and it smells vaguely of homemade soup. From here, you can't see anything out of the ordinary.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hendrick

"Ah, gently caress. It's as bad as I feared." Hendrick thinks to himself as Simon moves around carefully. Hendrick stays very still as his mind races on what to do next. He pictures a coin in his mind, and settles on trying to figure out more about the mystery of the creatures that can't be seen.

It doesn't go well. The noise is subtle but isn't helping his concentration, and the universe is also not helping, again. Hendrick grimaces at Simon and shakes his head in an effort to communicate that he's not getting anywhere figuring out what the hell is going on, or how to deal with the everywhere-slithering snakes.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Simon

It's unclear whether Hendrick senses the same thing as Simon—that the forest itself is writhing and hissing. And if his hunch is right, and their surroundings have come to life, they'd best get moving.

He ushers Hendrick closer to the rest of the group, hand still on the knife, and holds up his keys in the other hand, in front of everyone. Might be safer in the van. At least they'd be putting some walls between them and whatever is out there. And whatever got Matt earlier, it could obviously outrun him, but maybe it wouldn't catch up to a vehicle.

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

Shellception posted:

To Randy:

She looks at you with a tired look. You'd assume the last few days haven't been easy on her, but there is a grateful tone on her voice.

"Getting better, they said. They hope he will... recover" she says, slowly. "Given enough time. Have you... are you from the police...?"

You take the opportunity to look at the room. It's not that big, well lit from the window, and relatively tidy, though the few toys and items of clothing scattered around tell you she hasn't still had time to clean it up yet. There are a couple dirty bowls on the table, and it smells vaguely of homemade soup. From here, you can't see anything out of the ordinary.

Randy

"Well..." he turns to glance at the sheriff, "we are a kind of police, yes."

Turning back to Karla, Randy pulls out an obviously brand new leather note book and flips it open to the first page, "I am glad to hear Matt will be okay, but would you mind answering just a few questions? I'm sure most of them have already been asked of you by the sheriff here, but we like to get our information as directly as possible when we can."

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

SporkChan posted:

Randy

"Well..." he turns to glance at the sheriff, "we are a kind of police, yes."

Turning back to Karla, Randy pulls out an obviously brand new leather note book and flips it open to the first page, "I am glad to hear Matt will be okay, but would you mind answering just a few questions? I'm sure most of them have already been asked of you by the sheriff here, but we like to get our information as directly as possible when we can."

To Randy

She purses her lips a bit, and you get the hunch that she's not feeling very up to it. But nevertheless, she lets you two in and directs you to the table, quickly sweeping the breakfast bowls off the way.

"Sorry for the mess. Coffee?"

She comes back with a couple mugs and a coffee pot, which she leaves on the table too before sitting down in front of you both and pouring a mug for herself.

"What do you want to know?" she asks, looking straight at your eye.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

WindwardAway posted:

Simon

It's unclear whether Hendrick senses the same thing as Simon—that the forest itself is writhing and hissing. And if his hunch is right, and their surroundings have come to life, they'd best get moving.

He ushers Hendrick closer to the rest of the group, hand still on the knife, and holds up his keys in the other hand, in front of everyone. Might be safer in the van. At least they'd be putting some walls between them and whatever is out there. And whatever got Matt earlier, it could obviously outrun him, but maybe it wouldn't catch up to a vehicle.

Nia

"I'm not running unless we have to. Matt was just an unarmed civilian, with no real ability to fight. Me? I fully plan to blast whatever attacked him."

Nia balled her hands into fists, ready to unleash some serious telekinetic fury on whatever was about to attack.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Hendrick

The noise is starting to get on your nerves. You can't concentrate at all, and you are sure it's there, just in the corner of your eye. If you just could... You take your attention off the scene for a second to look at Simon, silently asking him for help.

It turns out to be a mistake.

Suddenly, you feel a terrible pressure on your chest, a squeeze that holds you tight as you are launched back several feet inside the forest. You don't even have time to scream before your back hits the trunk of a tree with enough strength to knock the air out of your lungs. You'd swear the drat thing trembled from the strength of the impact.

Dazed, you try to move, and realize you can't. The tendrils are holding down your legs, climbing up your arms and neck, and the one around your torso is starting to squeeze. You can barely breathe, and it doesn't seem like it's going to stop.

Take 2 harm. You are mildly bruised around the chest and back.

To Nia, Simon, Faust and Connor

In a flash of green, you see something pull off from the ground and grab Hendrick from the back, pulling him fast inside the forest. A few seconds later, you all hear a strong impact, and a heavy silence fills the air.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Nia

"Hendrick!" Nia sprints after the flying teammate, following him further into the forest. When she sees him pinned to a tree, she reaches out with her hands. "GET OFF HIM!"

Kick Some rear end (The Big Whammy): 2d6+2 12

Perfect! I'm using The Big Whammy to roll +weird, so it takes 2 damage from the attack. As for the roll's result, I'll pick "you force them where you want them", that being "out in the open so we can get a good look at this thing".

The telekinetic force pulls the tentacles away from Hendrick, and by yanking back, she drags them forward, closer to her.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Nia

You've got the thing where you wanted it to be. You smile wildly to yourself as you feel the magic course through your veins. You could get addicted to this feeling. Who are you kidding? You are.

The tendrils flap harmlessly in the air under your pull, occassionally trying to take a swing at you, but you don't let them escape. A couple meters back, you can see Hendrick slumped against the tree roots. Someone else will have to pick him up, you are busy right now.

You take a good look at the swirling mass in front of your eyes. The tendrils don't really seem to have a definite shape: they blob and change, protruding out helplessly while trying to get to you. Part of the pulsating green mass is on the ground, sprawling around the trees and bushes and out of your sight. Here and there, tiny bugs and plants seem to have made it their home.

It also smells strongly of mud, chlorophyll, and rotten leaves.

Your magic lasts about thirty minutes, so you (and anyone that makes it here in that time) get a good look at it.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 5, 2024

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hendrick

The blow and monster takes him by surprise. It'd have been nice to have a little more time before it got like this, but beggars can't be choosy. As Nia uses her power to attack the monster and force it into the open, Hendrick thinks to himself about how things have been going and that the universe appears to be making his life difficult when he tries to use his mind. "Well, I'm a conduit for it and it doesn't make sense that it'd turn completely on me after sending me here. Maybe it'll be better if I flow in a different direction." So he first opens himself to the universe, and then asks simply if it could please trap his attacker for him.

Hendrick is astonished at how the universe responds. It has never, ever,
ever felt like this before to let the universe work through him. "Is this how Nia feels when she uses her magic well???" Hendrick thinks to himself, as he gets to watch his request be fulfilled with aplomb. "I've got to try this more often."

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Hendrick

You carefully get up, grasping for air. Your whole torso hurts, breathing still costs a bit, and you're sure you're gonna feel it later. At least, you don't seem to have broken anything.

You stare at the 20 inches cube, clearly made of pure crystallized magic, that's casually floating in the air and holding a portion of the tentacles, ripped off from the rest of the mass. They are banging around mindlessly, but you have a feeling the container will be safe to handle for a long, long time. This is persistent magic, very rare, but also very very strong. You have gotten lucky.

A quick glance tells you that the rest of the monster is nowhere to be found... for now.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Simon

Before Simon can explain what he has in mind, he sees the tendrils yank Hendrick away. Gritting his teeth, he slips the keys back in his pocket and brandishes his knife, instinct kicking in.

I won't let you hurt him! he seethes, facing the direction in which Hendrick was pulled away. When Nia charges after him, Simon follows.

The psychic is fast at stopping the tendrils in their tracks, and as her spell draws the monster away from Hendrick, Simon catches up to see—and smell—the strange green being. Hendrick retaliates by trapping the plant-like creature in a magic box, and Simon launches himself at it furiously, blade pointed at the moss to teach it a lesson.

Roll on Tough, 2d6+2, result: 8

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Simon

WAAAAAAAAAARGH!

You charge against the box and feel it wobble under your strength. It's a weird sensation, like putting your hand in cold water.

The tendrils wrap around your wrist. You hear a small cracking noise and a ping of pain flows through your arm. You let out a small yelp, and pull out instinctively.

As you massage your wrist back it its original position, you notice the moss that's now idly flowing around your knife, seemingly unaware of your kill attempt.

No permanent harm, but your knife might be a bit hard to recover right now...

Shellception fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 5, 2024

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hendrick

Hendrick first marvels and beams with pride at the cube of magic that the universe has helped him create, then his jaw drops a bit as Simon rushes in to try and stab the contained portion of the monster. Once the fact that this was, in fact, happening for absolutely no reason one would have if they properly considered the situation for even a few seconds sank in fully, he closed his mouth and facepalmed. "Oh, Simon..." he thought to himself before quickly snapping a photo of the tendrils prior to Simon damaging them, used his phone to hop into one of his regular Discord servers, and uploaded the picture asking if anybody had any idea what the hell the monster was.

The initial responses set Hendrick's teeth on edge. Nobody believed that his picture was legitimate because of the cube of magic. He couldn't quite blame them since he'd never thought he'd ever be able to do that kind of thing either, but....

He shuddered a bit. This was too important to gently caress up over something that was incredible for someone who wasn't trained but not literally impossible. He fished for the picture of his mother and held it as he requested a favor from the universe, that it help his friends understand that as wild as it was, he wasn't lying about how he'd gotten the picture. He felt the universe listen, and saw that people who'd been ready to ban him suddenly fall silent, and then start talking about their computers and smart phones flying out of their hands and around the room and the picture of the cube showing up on their phones from completely different angles. Hendrick smiled a bit as he told his friends that he just asked the universe for a favor, and saw the chat go completely nuts over what he'd done and some who'd been quiet started talking about the creature in the box rather than just the box. Then he looked at the photo in his hand. It had been a wonderful blue sky that day. Now it was gray.

Luck point spent to change roll result to a 12. Aspect of the current situation.... why is this creature attacking people?

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Simon

The knife is well and truly stuck inside the magic box for now as a result of Simon's hasty actions. It was a close enough call that he knows better than to forcefully retrieve his weapon from the wriggly mess. I'm gonna kill you, he snarls at it, flexing his fingers to ensure they're still intact.

He turns to hear Hendrick prattling on about the universe, and a chat, and the box, and...

Simon's gaze wanders back to the entrapped piece of monster moss. He examines it with contempt, but makes no further motion to attack it. The tendrils snake around the knife as if it posed no threat to them. Perhaps a bullet would've disturbed it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Connor

It all happened in a blink of an eye.

As Connor observed the magic users the air shifted from serene to chilling, and he watched in horror as Hendrick was grabbed and flung further into the forest by mossy tendrils.

Watching Nia and Simon launch into action, Connor moves closer to assist but shockingly Nia does some kind of telepathic move and Hendrick is freed and the creature is contained, at least a specimen of.

"Where is the rest of it? I'll call DPRC, they're gonna want to see this and maybe they can help identify it for us."