Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ymgve posted:

Which is also no reason for shutting them down and giving up. Some of the biggest discoveries in science has been made when someone said "this doesn't add up"

Well afaik in the book (haven’t seen the show yet) it’s driving scientists insane and to suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MarcusSA posted:

Well afaik in the book (haven’t seen the show yet) it’s driving scientists insane and to suicide.

It’s also kinda implied in the show that some of the suicides might actually be staged murders by the human cult that’s siding with the invading aliens.

It’s also not just “physics is broken, so I’m going to kill myself”, some of these scientists are also being tortured by the Sophons with intense visual hallucinations of an ominous countdown that’s always visible in their line of sight and threatened with some kind of harm if they don’t immediately shut down their work/research.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Big McHuge posted:

2 episodes into 3BP and I can't quite describe why, but the dialogue just feels off. The non-subtitled parts feel like a poorly translated dub like one of the spanish/italian series that Mrs McHuge watches.

I'm also severely struggling with the whole "all the particle accelerators in the world are malfunctioning in the same exact way at the same time and producing results that are against the laws of physics, better shut down all research!". If that were to happen it would be one of the most noteworthy scientific discoveries in decades, there is no way they would be shutting down programs.

My impression is that there's nothing they can do with the results. It's just random nonsense.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Alhazred posted:

My impression is that there's nothing they can do with the results. It's just random nonsense.

That's what I got too, as well as their funding being pulled so it's not like they could continue even if they wanted to.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
At first the show presents it as the results not lining up with current scientific theories, the idea that our view of science could be completely wrong should excite a good part of the science community not lead them to kill themselves.

Then later it becomes more clear what is going on, but it’s the show fault for waiting five episodes for the story to really get interesting.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In the book (haven't watched the series yet), it's pretty clear that the people shutting down the projects know they are getting completely randomized results due to alien interference so it's just a waste of resources to keep those projects going.

The scientists that are being driven insane and/or threatened are the ones that are working on tech that can't be messed with on the quantum level but could still pose a threat.

There are also those that killed themselves once they knew they couldn't complete their life's work.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Oasx posted:

Then later it becomes more clear what is going on, but it’s the show fault for waiting five episodes for the story to really get interesting.

This is how narratives work. Information relevant to mysteries is given to you slowly, not immediately.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oasx posted:

At first the show presents it as the results not lining up with current scientific theories, the idea that our view of science could be completely wrong should excite a good part of the science community not lead them to kill themselves.

It's pretty clear from the first scenes in the first episode that scientists aren't killing themselves because of the colliders being buggy. It's even implied that they're not actually killing themselves when the detective says that they sure are committing suicide in weird ways.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Alhazred posted:

It's pretty clear from the first scenes in the first episode that scientists aren't killing themselves because of the colliders being buggy. It's even implied that they're not actually killing themselves when the detective says that they sure are committing suicide in weird ways.

But then the show trips itself up by showing us a very clear suicide on screen, by someone whose shown to be working on a collider.

I agree with your post, but it doesn't half go out of it's way to muddy the waters.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I spoiled myself on the books back when they became popular so I know what is going on in 3BP, but lol at being less then halfway into a televised series and complaining there are unexplained mysteries.

mystes
May 31, 2006

pentyne posted:

I spoiled myself on the books back when they became popular so I know what is going on in 3BP, but lol at being less then halfway into a televised series and complaining there are unexplained mysteries.
I haven't watched the tv show yet but maybe there's some sort of issue where the way it is presented in the tv show, people aren't realizing that "why is the scientific community acting weird" is literally supposed to part of the mystery, rather than it just being "why are experiments getting weird results" or something, whereas this was pretty clear in the book?

Or maybe people are just confused because in most sci-fi stories it's only the latter thing that's the mystery?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

MarcusSA posted:

yes it was still stupid in the book

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

But then the show trips itself up by showing us a very clear suicide on screen, by someone whose shown to be working on a collider.

And then immediately after her friends are talking about how weird that was and that it really wasn't anything leading up to it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Alhazred posted:

And then immediately after her friends are talking about how weird that was and that it really wasn't anything leading up to it.

I haven't watched the show or read the books, but what you describe does often happen with real life death by suicide. Just saying.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I haven't watched the show or read the books, but what you describe does often happen with real life death by suicide. Just saying.

The other posters are completely confused because the show hasn't immediately explained what is going on with the strange suicides, pointing out they may not be strange isn't the problem.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ymgve posted:

yes it was still stupid in the book

I disagree

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

This is a wild swing since I don't know if anyone here sounds like the right audience for it, but Davey And Jonesie's Locker, a Hulu/Amazon co-production, is kind of fantastic. It's a Canadian highschool science-fiction throwback about a pair of intolerable teen girls who accidentally get trapped in a Sliders scenario.

Ok for a 9 year old? Need a new family-ish show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oasx posted:

They briefly talked about the various non-lethal options, but they were afraid that the people on the ship would have time to erase the evidence

Yeah, detective guy ran through that, but they were awfully confident that running an entire ship through a giant cheese grater somehow wouldn't have the same effect. It was just bizarre.

I think I agree with whoever said it's a collection of cool ideas with dumb plot and characters.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I can't quite remember the exact passage in the book, but I think they addressed some aspect of that in the book.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

bull3964 posted:

I can't quite remember the exact passage in the book, but I think they addressed some aspect of that in the book.

It was something like if a hard disk got cut in half it would be possible to put it back together since the cut was so clean

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

I agree with your post, but it doesn't half go out of it's way to muddy the waters.

The show does explain this later on, because in the case shown she's not killing herself because of the bad science but because of what she learned about her mother. I read the book years ago and can't remember a ton of details about the characters in it, but the show at least does show why the one particular suicide we're shown was different from the other implied suicides that were potentially murders.

I'm one episode left and liking it so far, dumb elements notwithstanding, but I do absolutely think that it improves on the characterization of the book in that the characters actually are characters at the very least.

I haven't read a lot about the show online but I do think it's strange that no one seems to be complaining about an almost entirely-Chinese cast in the book now being mostly non-Asian. I just remember the huge controversies over individual characters in The Martian, Altered Carbon, and Annihilation but no one seems to be saying anything about this. I'll be a bit conspiratorial and wonder if it's because it's a Chinese book by a Chinese author and most of the liberal nerds who would complain about it don't care because China bad, especially after the recent Worldcon where Cixin Liu was one of the guests of honor.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

I'm a terrible judge of this kind of thing. There's nothing particularly gory or explicit, but there's definitely an explicit reference to drugs ("And then we go to the bathroom and snort some pingo pongo rays, or whatever designer drug they made up.") and I doubt the Riverdale ep would make much sense.

Yeah, prolly not eh.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

It also then turns out that she committed suicide for a different reason

efb I got distracted dangit

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Also fundamentally the science on the show is dogshit because it's not really about science, it's about the cultural revolution. The sci-fi nonsense is just there to put all of existence in a situation to mirror the revolution, where basically everyone is either a motherfucker or dead, and the motherfuckers just die later.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

Yeah I'd say so, I loved shows like that as a kid and it's pretty wholesome, they could easily go dark or heavy with a lot of these things but do not, it's all pretty silly and about the kids learning growing up stuff, albeit in really heightened alternate universe ways.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
My inlaws are 60+ and unlike me have horrible tastes in TV shows and watch poo poo like two and half men and everybody loves raymond reruns all the time. I know why this crap was popular (boomers have poo poo tastes) but being exposed to it is causing me real pain.

It's the same plots over and over, same mean misogynistic jokes over and over, horrible characters that don't grow or change, just be mean and horrible to each other over and over.

Chuck Lorre and Phil Rosenthal deserve the death penalty.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

My inlaws are 60+ and unlike me have horrible tastes in TV shows and watch poo poo like two and half men and everybody loves raymond reruns all the time. I know why this crap was popular (boomers have poo poo tastes) but being exposed to it is causing me real pain.

It's the same plots over and over, same mean misogynistic jokes over and over, horrible characters that don't grow or change, just be mean and horrible to each other over and over.

I think they cater to older, more conservative mindsets where "it was the good ol' days," and "people could take a joke." Not to mention the older you get, the more you seem to favor simplicity and plot beats that are easy and don't require a knowledge of what happened the past seasons to get. It's base, channel-flipping humor for people who want to revisit the past.

I assume the same will apply to every generation with their own shows, rehashing old favorites like The Sopranos, Patriot, The Wire, Lost, what have you.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

As hosed as America currently is, it used to be a much meaner and more randomly violent place imo. Just constant abuse from and towards every direction. I know it's still frequently like that for members of minority groups, but it used to be everybody.

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 28, 2024

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

woke kaczynski posted:

I know I'm late to the party but I just finished Search Party. Didn't know much of anything about it going in and I thought the first couple episodes were meh but then it picked up somewhat, and then after getting to the season 1 finale I was hooked and binged the rest over the next couple days. I can't think of another show I've watched that took quite so many big swings, they definitely didn't all connect but when they did it was incredible and I deeply respect it. Now I'm on a probably futile hunt for something similarly wild.

I love Search Party a ton. I was with it all the way, through every insane twist.

I dunno your tastes, but the best I've got are Fortitude and Raised By Wolves.

It's funny, but yes, RBW does have a similar insane energy. Bring back Raised by Wolves, for gently caress sake.

I keep thinking about the final few episodes. Both genuinely epic in tone, in the old school mythological sense, and also so ludictously batshit that I couldn't help but laugh.

Really looking forward to Netflix's upcoming KAOS, hope that it lives up to that title and the casting.

A consistent sign of me enjoying something, even if it's not supposed to be funny, is laughter. This is true even for really serious shows. And RBW was serious, but also it was hilarious.

Gonz posted:

*sticks arm in random wall holes*

Nichael fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 28, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A little late to the party I know, but as somebody who didn't grow up watching Nickelodeon even just the first 4 minutes of Quiet on Set is beyond shocking in the blatant sexualization that was apparently regularly on display, Jesus Christ :stare:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Ohh 3BP talk.
I'm 5 episodes in and uh, can somebody please spoil me who druggy cancerboi and his black buddy are, and why they're in the series at all :confused:
Thanks. And yeah that show would be a hard pass without Samwell and Davos.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They’re part of the group of friends who are the main characters of the series? They both gain more plot relevance by the end of the season anyways

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

They're friends with the woman who has the nanofiber company, and all are part of a group of scientist friends, one of which was the scientist that committed suicide at the start by jumping into that detector.
Cancer boy isn't as accomplished as the rest, but still a super smart dude. The black guy is a genius scientist who just fucks around and does drugs a lot, apparently.

They'll be more important in an episode or two.

One thing I do really like about 3BP is it's portrayal of intimate platonic male friendships. They really loving care about each other and it shows.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Based on someone's recommendation here (apologies for forgetting who at the moment), we started Davey and Jonesie's Locker last night. It was light, silly, and charming, making the most of its low budget. I bought the codependent female friendship more than the recent R-rated movie Bottoms, and I liked how unapologetically weird the two heroines are. I just can't tell if it is supposed to be more of a kids' show (I was too old to have ever watched Nickelodeon or Disney Channel shows) or an Adult Swim-style stoner show.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Despite all the valid criticisms about 3BPs approach to science, I really enjoyed season 1. My only real complaint is that it, at times, feels more like a YA fantasy than sci-fi.

I especially love seeing the third wallfacer continually rejecting the position with everyone agreeing he's rejected it, yet carrying on as if he hasn't. Some real lol moments for sure.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I just can't tell if it is supposed to be more of a kids' show (I was too old to have ever watched Nickelodeon or Disney Channel shows) or an Adult Swim-style stoner show.

IMO it'a weirdly both, but if I had to pick one it's the latter disguised as the former. It never breaks with the aesthetic conventions of a kid's show, but it's written with such a strange, knowing energy that i can't imagine a lot of the jokes not going over most kid's heads. Also there's a lot of death, and what's almost definitely a sex cult.

Glad you liked it!

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 28, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nichael posted:

It's funny, but yes, RBW does have a similar insane energy. Bring back Raised by Wolves, for gently caress sake.

Sol will deliver, friend :pray:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jerusalem posted:

A little late to the party I know, but as somebody who didn't grow up watching Nickelodeon even just the first 4 minutes of Quiet on Set is beyond shocking in the blatant sexualization that was apparently regularly on display, Jesus Christ :stare:
I think Dan "Teen Toe Defiler, Never Prosecuted" Schneider's last show was Victorious and TBH he really had no fucks at that point and probably thought he was untouchable considering the poo poo he put in there.

iCarly had the veneer of being neo-hippie and weird-internet stuff. Like the kids were obviously well off enough for Spencer to be a goofball artist and the high school girl to have access to tons of web-streaming and production gear at a time when a lot of it wasn't just a capture card and an Elgato streamdeck. There was still a lot of "the internet? VIDEOS ON THE INTERNET?! SERIES TOO?" stuff in culture that made it fantastical and odd. So kids acting out a skit where they have spaghetti for hair and shampoo with pasta sauce is kind of weird enough for it to work. And then later you have something that sticks out as blatant THIS IS THE AUTHOR'S FETISH like the blonde girl making PB&J with her feet or just being "off".

Victorious just sprints past all that poo poo with weird bullying and creepy undertones throughout. It's an overall meanspirited show.

Someone should do one of those no-laugh-tracks edits to it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Learning that "the fat guy" from Head of the Class apparently ended up being some kind of powerful figure in kids television for two+ decades was enough of a head trip alone even before learning about all the hosed up poo poo he was apparently doing. Learning that he was sued for sexual harassment and discrimination on the FIRST show he was producer for and that it didn't stop him having that 20+ year career was sadly not as surprising :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

I think Dan "Teen Toe Defiler, Never Prosecuted" Schneider's last show was Victorious and TBH he really had no fucks at that point and probably thought he was untouchable considering the poo poo he put in there.

iCarly had the veneer of being neo-hippie and weird-internet stuff. Like the kids were obviously well off enough for Spencer to be a goofball artist and the high school girl to have access to tons of web-streaming and production gear at a time when a lot of it wasn't just a capture card and an Elgato streamdeck. There was still a lot of "the internet? VIDEOS ON THE INTERNET?! SERIES TOO?" stuff in culture that made it fantastical and odd. So kids acting out a skit where they have spaghetti for hair and shampoo with pasta sauce is kind of weird enough for it to work. And then later you have something that sticks out as blatant THIS IS THE AUTHOR'S FETISH like the blonde girl making PB&J with her feet or just being "off".

Victorious just sprints past all that poo poo with weird bullying and creepy undertones throughout. It's an overall meanspirited show.

Someone should do one of those no-laugh-tracks edits to it.

there were some of Dan Schneider's nickelodeon web shorts with arianna grande where she was literally rolling around in a bed sucking her own feet