Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Didn't Netflix more or less force out the original creators of Avatar during the development of the live action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Matlock is pretty fun at the start. One of the major trial gimmicks is that Matlock, without any wild grandstanding or dramatics, will expose people committing perjury while they are on the stand. It doesn't then result in a massive furor or crazy court room shenanigan just as part of the process where he then gets them to admit the truth he already knows and could prove.

When did court room legal dramas sort of peak and transform to the over dramatic character acting and shocker reveals causing the whole thing to break down while a judge slams the gavel screaming "order!"?

I saw that sort of happen over the series run of The Practice. I've never seen early season Law and Order so I don't know how dramatic they got but given it's run in the 90s it's got to be pretty influential.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

49th year coming up this month.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

It's pretty clear that the people running SNL don't give two shits about what's offensive or unfunny. For the latter, look at half the sketches they do. They had Nikki Haley on this last episode so she could do a zinger against trump.

There's some pretty weird vibes at SNL

When the Try Guys fired one of their partners, specifically the "Wife Guy" who was having an affair with a junior employee, SNL did a skit mocking the 3 Try Guys who released the video explaining what happened as them being a bunch of jealous nerds and completely glossed over the power imbalance.

The writer of the skit was a personal friend of the Wife Guy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

It's the same as Michael Che keeps saying Trump is gonna win. gently caress right off with that bullshit.

This was the exact same attitude people had in 2016.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Found a youtube channel that uploads made for TV movies and has some pretty great ones. The 2001 movie about the shooting of Regan is some kind of special. Richard Dreyfuss as Alexander Haig is amazing and throughout the entire movie literally every political person is portrayed as an incompetent gently caress up, even Bush Senior as some kind of dullard. Every person in a position is trying to grab power and control with both hands and freaking out over everyone else doing the same.

It's kind of crazy to actually see it shown like that, the IRL situation was reportedly almost as bad. There's a point in the movie where the Secret Service and the FBI are about to draw guns on each other because the FBI is holding onto the President's wallet with the "button" keycard that, while dramatized, is pretty close to the truth. There's a scene where everyone is bickering over some detail and then a very low ranking person mentions the solution casually, and turns around to see some of the most powerful people in the world starting at him completely baffled because they didn't know some very basic information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXBZ2oU_Njo

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

This is the lowest bar possible, but yes, she's better than Rousey, who is one of the worst actresses I've ever seen. Though I'll say this for Rousey, she had the self-awareness to realize this and leave acting to go to pro-wrestling, which was the right move.

Carano has zero self-awareness.

What even was a 'big' acting role for Rousey? I saw her in the Entourage movie and it was bad enough to make the rest of the Entourage cast look like A list actors in comparison.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

This is the main comparison for me. Carano was bad, but fine for those movies, I guess? in part 6. Rousey was awful in 7. Like, distractingly bad. And she was barely in it!

But again, Rousey knew to get out of acting and into Wrestling. Carano is doing everything she can to stay in acting, where she has no place being. And is an awful human being.

Rousey knew to get out of the UFC after getting humiliated 2x times in a row after being talked about like the Mike Tyson of women's MMA.

I can't remember the specifics but I think it basically boiled down to her being really good at only 1 thing, and having no defense against anything else which top talent Holmes and Nunes exploited. Rousey went from the top of the MMA world to an easy 1 round knockout and retired immediately after the 2nd time in a row she got dropped hard in under 2 rounds.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Honestly it's kind of hard to call him an rear end in a top hat even in US shows he's on. He's definitely louder and more dramatic, and they don't do as many "connect with some employee patiently in an encouraging way" moments but I don't think I've ever watched one of the US shows episodes and thought "oh what a mean douchebag." More likely I'm thinking something negative about a goober with a failing hotel/restaurant who seems determined to stay that way despite being on the show.

The US shows are essentially scripted dramas at this point. Quite a few people who've come out of Masterchef/HK have admitted that everything is more or less staged at a certain point, and during the "tests" a lot of those big mistakes and failures are planned out, and even if not they would find out their equipment suddenly stops working all of a sudden.

I wouldn't say that the winners are picked out from day 1, but it's probably likely that the top 5-6 are picked out at the start and the entire process is around building their journey to success and figuring out who is the most marketable of them. For Masterchef the entire show is shot and finished before anything makes it to air, at one point there were 2 entire seasons sitting on ice they then aired back to back during covid times.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Carano is basically the modern version of those stunt men from the 80s who got to headline based on their fighting abilities but couldn't act for poo poo.

Brian Bozworth.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Trying to figure out why the UK one sucks so hard and gonna throw a stupid theory out there. The original Drunk History was based off a comedian noticing how earnest and passionate his friends got about history when they got hammered (i.e. Jake Johnson almost crying about Otis Redding dying) and decided to make a show about it including his friends. Mostly it's funny because alcohol breaks through Americans instinctive aversion towards historical knowledge and elitism into something odd and sweet.

The British version, from what I've seen, was a nasty and horrible demonstration of strangers trying to show off their historical knowledge, reinforcing the standard positive images held by many in England regarding historical knowledge justifying elitism. There is no subversion there, its an annoying guy at a party trying to own you with their big brain, which feels like a more European thing to happen than in the States.

Anyway huge generalizations for everyone!

that's the thing about British comedy, tons of comedians come out of the Oxbridge system, where simply having that on your resume means you will get booked over funnier people who don't, and eventually make your way to BBC panel show regular by virtue of being a known face

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Lol, "charasmatic"

Suits was 100% about a cast with incredible chemistry, as perfect as it can really get.

Casting the lead is the least significant part of it and this whole thing reeks of some exec hearing about the show for the first time being the most popular thing on Netflix when it debuted there, and determined that people will watch anything called "Suits".

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Also the final season of Umbrella Academy drops Aug 8

It's a surprise they even got a second season much less 4.

It doesn't appear to be insanely popular either, I can only guess it's cheap to make since they have all the main sets for use.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Probably within the first 10 minutes when he was arguing about going out to wash cars with his boss. Can't really see anyone negotiating a way to work in a car wash without having to pitch in with washing cars unless you have a disability.

Also the fact he had a PhD from Caltech and is in that position...

You don't end up like that without turbofucking your own life options repeatedly, over the course of decades, to the point you are not hireable in any field your Ph.D is in.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

Been rewatching MODERN FAMILY. Didn't finish it the first time around and I'm not sure why because it's a drat funny show. Everyone gets their time to shine. At what point did the showrunners start hating each other and took over separate parts of the show?

The show had a noticeable drop off in the back half, it didn't really get back until the last few seasons the show was just spinning its wheels because the writers didn't have a clue how much longer the show had and weren't committing to anything.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I should have seen the writing on the wall when the first Reacher scene in the second season was him being irritated by a YOUNG PERSON :argh: not really giving a poo poo about working the cash register at their below minimum wage job.

Edit: On a brighter note, I enjoyed the first episode of Death and Other Details, though that may be down to loving Paul Kinsey being in it! :woop:

Not sure if its consistent in the books, but one of his show habits is to always be respectful to service employees and call them by their names when he can.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The 100 is good and gets super weird with it later on.

No the internet discourse is what got super weird. The show was fine but it made a lot of people online goes bugfuck insane.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It was a bold move to make the entire book a single 10 episode series. They must have the rights to the rest of the Asian Saga otherwise this is a massive expense for nothing to follow through with.

Since the rest of the novels are centered around the same entity, the Noble Merchant House of Struan's, doing the series in chronological order means they could easily reuse the same cast for the descendants of the characters. Tai-Pan is Opium War era Hong Kong, Gai Jin based on the Satsuma War and links Shogun to Tai-Pan, and then Noble House for the "modern" Hong Kong.

King Rat was only 400 pages (his later novels are 1100+pages) and might not work as well being a bleak and brutal POW camp story. Whirlwind could be the Iranian equivalent of Shogun if they want to really spend the money to pull it off.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Teek posted:

Yeah, the next book takes place in a different country like 200 years later. Later books in the series do return to Japan though. So while "Shogun" might be one and done, the world of Shogun could theoretically continue. I believe it probably will, I believe they optioned several of the books.

Yes the Asian Saga are all pretty separate by decades at least. The 'modern' books cover a WW2 POW camp in Japan, 1960s Hong Kong, and 1979 Iran.

Shogun is kind out the outlier as the main body of the Asian Saga is about the history of a British Hong Kong trading company throughout the centuries

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mokotow posted:

Surprised at the positive reviews now. I don’t think it was that well received when it aired and was super corny but few years down the line people seem to like it more.

It was pretty popular when it aired. No one thought it was high art but it was typical CW soap with an interesting sci-fi post collapse conspiracy stuff.

Once it got memed into the "kills all lesbians show" it started to suffer but the first 3 seasons were pretty good, way better then it had any right to be.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

When this stuff happens it always feels weird to me. Same with Cosby, Weinstein, or Vince McMahon. I'VE know this stuff. I've known about Schneider and the poo poo he's done and I am absolutely not connected in any way to Hollywood. And I'm sure a lot of us have known about it. So is it strange that nothing was ever really said or done about it until now or is it weird that it's happening now all of a sudden?

Because the code of silence benefits literally everyone except the victims so being willing to even speak up when you saw something extremely hosed up is a huge personal risk.

The guy who walked into Jerry Sandusky raping a child in the showers decided to speak to his own dad first, then they approached Joe Paterno and told him before proceeding to never talk about it again to anyone.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
drat, Reacher falls off hard by episode 3 of season 2. Season 1 was kind of nuts but they built up to the crazy insane shoot-outs with dozens of people, season 2 just wants to drop a bunch of bodies every single episode it seems.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kalel posted:

it's not so much the behavior it depicts as the beliefs it implicitly legitimizes. I stopped a few episodes into season 2 where these happened in quick succession:

- Jess convinces Paul's gf to forgive him for cheating on her and the gf accepts Paul's proposal
- Nick complains about being treated like Jess's boyfriend "with none of the benefits"
- Schmidt successfully attracts women by pretending to be a member of the Romney family

And the show treats this as empathetic instead of contemptible. Also Winston's whole character is ridiculous, he's more like a white person's idea of a black person than an actual character in his own right.

I get that gender and racial politics were different even 10 years ago but this is a bit much. It feels very much like a show produced by The Fox Network. Like seriously who gave a gently caress about Mitt Romney

did you actually watch the episode? I wouldn't describe anything about the whole "tugg romney" thing as successful.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

I try not to recommend shows that won't ever get resolved except maybe by a comic in a decade.

the end works well enough as a finale given the weird as gently caress nature of the show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I spoiled myself on the books back when they became popular so I know what is going on in 3BP, but lol at being less then halfway into a televised series and complaining there are unexplained mysteries.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I haven't watched the show or read the books, but what you describe does often happen with real life death by suicide. Just saying.

The other posters are completely confused because the show hasn't immediately explained what is going on with the strange suicides, pointing out they may not be strange isn't the problem.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

I think Dan "Teen Toe Defiler, Never Prosecuted" Schneider's last show was Victorious and TBH he really had no fucks at that point and probably thought he was untouchable considering the poo poo he put in there.

iCarly had the veneer of being neo-hippie and weird-internet stuff. Like the kids were obviously well off enough for Spencer to be a goofball artist and the high school girl to have access to tons of web-streaming and production gear at a time when a lot of it wasn't just a capture card and an Elgato streamdeck. There was still a lot of "the internet? VIDEOS ON THE INTERNET?! SERIES TOO?" stuff in culture that made it fantastical and odd. So kids acting out a skit where they have spaghetti for hair and shampoo with pasta sauce is kind of weird enough for it to work. And then later you have something that sticks out as blatant THIS IS THE AUTHOR'S FETISH like the blonde girl making PB&J with her feet or just being "off".

Victorious just sprints past all that poo poo with weird bullying and creepy undertones throughout. It's an overall meanspirited show.

Someone should do one of those no-laugh-tracks edits to it.

there were some of Dan Schneider's nickelodeon web shorts with arianna grande where she was literally rolling around in a bed sucking her own feet

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

Not dumb at all I think

But I don't even think he's right in suggesting that ethical investments have had worse returns than the S&P 500 over a longer period

it doesn't matter because go woke go broke is not a thing and if someone came to Disney with hard data that shows a high chance of a 15% increase in revenue across the board if they banned gay people from the parks Disney would hire the Pinkertons the next day to guard the gates and patrol the grounds looking for anyone they think is gay and violently eject them from the grounds

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Discovery has the same problem Picard in that the showrunners are so obsessed with expanding the deep lore of the franchise they don't really write the characters as people so much as walking exposition.

Disco's Big Reveal for its final season is that it is focusing on the Progenitors, from The Chase, something Star Trek never followed up on for good reason. It's just another ancient civilization with borderline magic leftover technology that only drives the plot because bad people want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Taear posted:

Not only am I blown away by baby reindeer but (and I mentioned this in the UKTV thread) it's wild to me how loving everyone here is talking about it.
Passing by some middle aged guys digging up the road and they're discussing it, 18 year olds I work with talking about it, my parents mentioning it to me
It's just everywhere

its so popular the creator had to release a public statement begging people to stop accusing his friends of being his abusers