Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Nemesis - Kuiper belt orbit, Sol system

The past
The von Neumann probe pondered the equation in the spare cycles it had. It's own self awareness giving it a curiosity about the movement of observed objects. Stickers long faded with the word: 'Nemesis Probe v2' stamped on the side gave her the name taken for itself. A...quirk. Mining operations for the Unified Alliance Command were never impacted and no one ever checked on her corrupting matrix... It could explain why she went dark and took 300t credits worth of printers, replicated probes and four mining resource ships and began mining for her own ends.

Calamity the object was called. It would collide with Earth and nothing could be done. The Alliance fell apart. Nations began many projects to preserve cultures or try and avert calamity. Rivals would sabotage others in short sided attempts to deny others the accolade of being the first.

And Nemisis kept working. Colony ships by her design. Either through offer, bribe, and sometimes outright abduction she had everything ready. Her top chosen to guide humanity to exist beyond its fate. It was time to depart. She would wake the sleeping minds of her colony leaders.

A choice on where to go.

Present
Your bodies preserved in ice. You are awakened by the intelligence of the ship, fleet, and colony arks.
"<Greetings Selected,
Calamity has arrived in system. The Earth will end in 12 days. Before setting off, a destination to the world: [b] [ Urth ] . I cannot guarantee we will be the only survivors when you arrive.
But we will try.>"
The ship shudders.
<"It would seem others do not wish us to leave.>"
A mini battle is displayed for all of you around a virtual conference room. Massive weapons deploy along with launching of craft engaged another nation's von Nuemen fleet.

A big green confirm button sits in your vision. Y / N ?

As you look around the room you can see the others. After this decision you would have time to speak before the long sleep. You could also ask Nemesis questions once under way.

Feeling the engines power up. The slip drive began to hum.

Welcome my players(recruitment was on godgaming discord). In your first post please put in your character sheet. For forums archives I'd ask you paste it in with a Google docs link too for live updates. If you want to change destinations nows the time to discuss it in character and after the formality of leaving can start talking to each other and Nemesis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Chief Engineer Howard "Chief" Stanton

"Engineering is good to go, crew. my people have crawled up and down the Jeffries Tubes making sure every plug is plugged and every bolt tightened. Then the bots came through and double checked so we triple checked. Whether or no our bodies get to where we are going, this ship sure as hell will."

Chief mentally presses the GO button, confirming he's good to go,

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Joshua Barret

"Then we should leave at once. The longer we delay the more chance for others to interfere." Joshua was still in shock from all that had occured of late, but he wasn't going to let an opportunity like this slip out of his fingers due to idleness.

All the while he mentally eyed the others, trying to gauge how much of an interference they'd be in his plans for himself and his followers.

quote:

Joshua Barret

Neural Net Pioneer[+4]
Genetic Engineer[+2]
Possessive[-2]

Einherjar

Survivalist Cult[+2]
Suspicious of Outsiders[-2]

Bjorn Torson

Loyal Bodyguard[+2]

Artur Matsumura

Master of Materials[+2]

Nikolaas Andreson

Shadowy Spymaster[+2]

Russel Dunbar

Seasoned Farmer[+2]

Devot

Next Generation AGI[+2]

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 2, 2024

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Bjarki Steinnson

With the time they had been left to prepare, this was what people had spent their resources on? How many more people could have been saved if people had not been so paranoid and selfish...

Although Bjarki tried to be stoic and passive, a little frustrated spite slipped into his voice as he spoke. "So now our opinion matters to you? We should spare as many as we can, the more survivors the better the chances for humanity to survive as a whole." He looked down at his former home which perhaps somewhat mottled compared to what the first astronauts gazed upon with awe, was still a blue and green jewel of life in the dark void. Not for much longer tragically. Muttering a wordless farewell in his head he added his final thoughts.

"I agree with Joshua, we should leave now. The more others try to stop us the more casualties there will be."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Joshua Barret

"If there are no objections?" Joshua attempts to activate the confirmation button.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Anderson Weyland

Anderson gestures. "Push the button. There is nothing left for us here."

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 31, 2024

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Robert Jones

"We need to go posthaste, but don't harm the actual competition. Making sure the species survives is the absolute priority. Hit it."

The Personnel Director didn't so much look around at the others as just listen to their words and cadences.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself

Thale Fargeau Innovator +4, Leadership +2, Control Freak -2

Thale took a moment to confer with his team before addressing the larger group.

Cain Atkinson War +2

“Cain specifically, not my expertise but patch in and see what you can do to help our benefactor with our defenses. Focus on point defense?”

Dorothy Jones Exploration +2

Niles Howe Surveying +2

Ari Remak (Theoretical)Xeno-Biologist +2

Inventory your equipment, see what can be fabricated during the trip.

Sarah Jane Franklin Librarian +2

Ma’am I’m not sure what our benefactor has in our database but if there is an off chance you can get anything else before we’re beyond the belt now’s the time.

Everyone else: Cyborgs +2 Parts and Power -2

If Nemesis will have you patch in and take over any tasks you can.

To the group: The sooner we leave the better. Punch the button.

Let’s gogogo, apologies on the delay I hate my life and it hates me.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Nemesis - Sol System

Everyone not already in cryo sleep soon were back in their units.

"Lazarus protocols have been enacted. Jump drives powering onli-"

The ship shudders under a massive impact. A genderless warning system bleets: °Colony ship 004 has been destroyed. Debris inbound.°

Each of your pods are soon inserted into very ornate systems. Nemesis states: "These sarcophogi have been outfitted with a module allowing for discourse through designated periods with myself as we reach milestones in our journey."

As the ships hum with energy the view shifts to a chaotic scene. Many fleets of both artificial and living humans were all attacking one another. Few groups, like yours were making it out of system.

One opened a gateway, another warping away, a few began to accelerate at near relativistic speeds. "Poor bastards." Nemesis quipped. Before you could speak an interface that sped up or slowed down mental processing overlayed a hug over your vision. You all could view the battle and the countdown timer.

The ship was filled with energy. It crackled along the hull's edge like lighting.

The ship jumped.

A crystalline reality greets your eyes. Scintillating colors and angles would have melted your sanity if not for the filters and safety of your implanted augments.

As the ship seemed to move in this infinite space you think you see glimpses of shapes gliding past the small bubble of reality around the ship.

Nemesis spoke: "Destination will be reached in one hund-hund-hund- *click*"

"100 years."
Her voice suddenly was in your thoughts.
"Apologies, calculation is difficult in non-linerar space. Before your eyes is the peak of biology and science. When you were >selected<(implied), we installed a crystalline implant helper."

The almost tutorial-likeness brought back memories of games played when in your youth.

"Each crystal resonates on the same frequency and will allow for communication and messages to be sent between each of you. In the event you are unavailable you are allowed to leave either text or a recording to be listened to later."

An icon with a communications badge appears and blinks. 1 unread message.
It reads: [Welcome], this is Nemesis. Test complete.

A green square appears and an avatar representing you appears.

"Using jump technology we can store structures and deploy them from extra-dimensional space. Though technically unlimited, degradation occurs if too many are stored and decay is still a factor for most structures.

The quality of structure stored also matters. A mud hut will deteriorate faster than say durasteel fab building.

The energy required is [balanced].

Let's check your inventpry."

Tier 1 building: A major structure, either in size or function. Grants passive +2 ability within city placed within and a 5 mile radius of city limits.
1/1
"I suggest you customize this as your brilliant minds envision the [future].

Tier 2 building. This is definitely a functional or municipal service type structure. Water purification, sewage, etc are fine examples. Places of learning and research are also wonderful choices.
3/10

Tier 3 building.
The butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker. Your people will have needs. Goods, clothing, or other things. Small labs all working together or engineers on an issue, a versatile way to set people up for success and productivity.
5/25

Tier 4 structure
Living quarters, community buildings. While this may seem inconsequential it also allows for guard and policing checkpoints. Small defenses or security apparatuses.
7/50

Multiple spaces may be used for living quarters or other projects in conjunction with each other but will not equal a structure of larger size.

*Note: structure storage or placement cannot occur during events*

"In addition you will have 3 scv units. Once you assign them a function, the option will be permenantly set. This is to prevent their simple AIs from corruption or fragmentation."

Blank SCV
3/3

"Are there any questions?"

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Joshua Barret

Joshua marveled at the sight of a space beyond space. He might have made advances of his own during his isolation, but it was clear this was an entirely different field he had not been closely following. After taking a moment to try and take in everything that happened, Joshua attempted to open a private line to Nemesis. He had questions he needed answered.

"Will we all be conscious throughout the entire trip? Also, you seem to have a direct neural interface setup. Is is possible to use that to connect to our followers minds? What about my own AI assistant, will it be available on the trip?"

The latter two opened up tempting possibilities. An entire century of Devot having access to the minds of his followers to further shape them to meet his needs. Such time would also open certain opportunities for tinkering with genetic and other alterations to facilitate his plans on this new world they would conquer.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Chief Stanton

Chief was already running through hundreds of simulations in his mind. He had his ideal outcome, of course, but contingencies were necessary as well. There was just too much uncertainty about where they were going on what they were going to do when they got there. Rebuild civilisation? A drat tall order, especially with the kind of leadership that seemed to be on board. Mostly brainy types, it looked like, but very few willing to get the grease on their hands in order to ensure accomplishments happened.

He hoped he was wrong. The task that lay before them was enormous.

I'm running under the impression that Chief does not yet know his followers will be circusfolk and that everyone will be working together and not going off to make their own ubermenschen.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Nemesis - BeyonderSpace

>Private communique<
>To: Joshua
>SUBJECT: Mind access, AI Access
> Y, Y

>End

"Chief, you may give your >errror< [colonists] memetic or didactic learning. Install generation based modifications[immediate, non-inheritable] or genetic generation spanning non-immediate change.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Chief Stanton

"Nemesis," Chief said in his mind, confident that the complex AI of the ship could hear thoughts directed at it. "What autofabrication facilities are on board and are they able to modify the preconstructed habs in any way?"

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Barret

When he gets his response the wheels in Joshua's head starts to turn, ideas bubble up. He had been slowly molding his followers to suit his needs and desires, but now he could pursue that on an entirely other level. He would have a century to reform them exactly to his liking and already thoughts were starting to occur to him. Super-long term neural net shaping efforts on decades long scales feed relentlessly into the pliable minds of his Einherjar. Genetic modifications to enhance their functionality and ensure everything about them was pleasing to him. If things worked out he might be able to make each and every one of them into his ideal servants. Then he could turn his focus towards building a settlement to properly suit him and his new order. The prospects for what he could eventually create danced through his head, however even now this was entirely hypothetical.

Communicating directly with Nemesis once more, he inquires. Based on the resources available to each of us would it be possible to complete certain tasks in the time before we reach our destination? He describes his plans in general terms: the neural network shaping, genetic modifications, alterations to the base settlement structures provided to each of them. If prompted he would provide additional details.

So Joshua's looking to figure out what he can accomplish in the time available. Goals are in order of importance:
  • Continue the brainwashing program he'd already been running, but turn it up to 11 using the direct neural connection and the long period of time (having it overseen by his own AI after its initially setup).
  • Design a suite of genetic modifications to improve his followers physical attributes such as strength, agility, toughness, intelligence, lifespan, etc.
  • Design gene mods to alter appearance, voice, and other features to be more aesthetically pleasing to him.
  • Reconfigure the standard settlement structures provided to him to better fit the society he's trying to build.
  • If time allows pursue other more radical projects such as developing biologically based infrastructure (living buildings, etc), see if its possible to create gene mods which allow for rapid maturation among his followers off-spring without compromising lifespan, and even more if that doesn't take up the whole period.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Chief Stanton

Nemesis replies cheerfully. Each block[slot] can be configured in any style or interconnected horizontally or vertically. Materials can be changed.

Materials on ship are what are possible given our current technology. The more general the use of the building, the less efficient its use even if it has more utility.

We do not suggest combining sewage treatment with living quarters."

Joshua
Brainwashing program: Depending on complexity this can be accomplished but at the expense of radical thinking due to homogenous thought alignment. It can be run constantly and will conclude at the end of our journey.
[*]genetic attribute modifications: modifications will be passed to the 1st generation of children born on world. Frozen colonists' biology can accept editing but will not occur instantaneously. Genetic homogenization has its own perils and pitfalls, but being aware of such things and if you're there to correct any issues that crop up any hiccups can be adjusted over successive generations. This can be implemented in time.
[*] gene mods: hottie/baddie upgrade - see previous.
[*]Reconfigure the standard settlement: draw and design buildings with your desired function. These will be applied to your buildings. Designs can be made during the 100 year cycle.
[*]more radical projects: new tech takes time to get started. You can begin, but there won't be enough time to complete this monumental task.
>End of line<

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Chief Stanton

"Alright Nemesis, I have a few ideas on how I want the buildings configured. Ensure that each building is able to connected to others via enclosed skyway on at least three sides just in case those need to be. Let's make sure they've all got an external entrance as well, something that can be pressurized if needed, although hopefully it won't. It would be nice if the buildings were self constructing."

Chief began plotting a spreadsheet using his implant. "Do we have any geologic survey data on our destination? I'd like to know what kind of metals we can expect, although with the right kind of regolith you can make nearly anything I guess."

Spreadsheet in link, will be kept updated with colony details.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Anderson Weyland

Anderson queries Nemesis for useful information while allocating resources.

"What are the limits of the SCVs? Can they construct? Can they farm? Can they process or smelt ore? Can they detect it?"

"Once the initial buildings are placed, what resources will be available to us on arrival, and for how long?"

"What power sources are available?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Bjarki Steinnson - Exoplanetary Surveyor

It was hard to mask his frustration and anger towards the AI for preventing him from his final farewells, but Bjarki had no idea how far into his mind it could read. Burying himself in the minutia of the projections of a colony he began drafting ideas in his head.

"Nemesis, please co-ordinate with these key actors in my team for architectural plans and any specific assistance with schematics you may require." He said as he took stock of his colonist register and noted the presence of several of the people he had worked with in the European Hail Mary project. "Machining, fabrication and advanced 3D-printing will be the most difficult elements of a start-up civilisation. I imagine some of the other people on board may have more...esoteric ideas of technologies and ideas to work with but I would rather keep things as simple as possible. We will need to maintain and expand on these facilities in the future. After the fabrication facilities I want you to work on..."

Bjarki's colony prefab load-out:
(These are also listed in the documented in the hyper-link of my character name)

Tier 1
Machining & Fabrication Lab

Tier 2
Hydroponics & Botanical Lab
Hospital & Lab
Power Plant

Tier 3
Nursery
School
Community Centre
Textiles Factory
Agricultural Complex

Tier 4
Housing
Housing
Housing
Housing
Gymnasium
Holo-Theatre
Library

"...Now with that out of the way, we need to ensure all colonists are provided with the necessary frontier training. As for myself I would like to view all material you have on these subjects before I spend some time asleep. Please notify me if we receive new extrasolar and exoplanetary data. As we approach our target destination and more detailed information is available I would like to review it as it comes in to ensure we have the best preparation possible.

Bjarki's priority of things to do during transit is thus:
  • Work through any new data of the destination planet. Landing a prob
  • Review any extra developments for colonial settling and survival that Nemesis has and Bjarki did not have access to
  • View exoplanetary data coming in throughout the voyage, for possible future colonies and resource exploitation. (Or aliens ooooooooooh)
  • Sleep (gently caress Nemesis)

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Anderson Weyland

While waiting for more information from Nemesis, Anderson took time to sketch a basic layout of colony facilities he would require. This would not cover all eventualities, but should hopefully provide a base upon which the rest could be built. Or traded for, he supposed. Additionally, Anderson began the process of recording 500 somewhat-personalized onboarding messages for each of the colonists who had been more or less kidnapped with him. Each one followed a roughly similar formula;

"Welcome, [Your Name]. You may be wondering where you are, how you got here, and other seemingly pressing questions. Rest easy; I am delighted to tell you that you have been chosen. Your hard work and dedication to the Ouroboros family has earned you a place with the privileged few; one of 500 hand-picked souls selected to make the journey with me on to the next stage of humanity's rebirth. You are a pioneer; a brave creator of a new society! A new frontier awaits you; a land of opportunity! But make no mistake! This will not be easy; we must all pull together to create this new world. But I have faith in you. You would not have been chosen if I didn't think you could rise to this challenge. As we make the journey, allow me to go over the responsibilities that have afforded you this privilege..." [Job Role explanation and Upload Training to follow]

Then there was a sort of virtual board meeting message where assignments to C-Suite were made;

Beachwood; R&D
Ferny: Human Resources & Morale
Bodark: Security (with a side of hunting)
Henderson: Botanicals (crops and medicinal)
Palmera: Construction and Maintenance

Each will be assigned one-fifth of the 500 colonists to manage as they saw fit, trained during flight so as to be ready to go when they made landfall. Results first. All else secondary.

Anderson's colony prefab load-out:
(These are also listed in the documented in the hyper-link of my character name)

Tier 1
Ouroboros Headquarters - Biotechnology & Medical Facility

Tier 2
Mobile Lumberjack Platform - Complete Botanical Processing facility
Mobile Laboratory Platform - Mobile R&D Facility
Power Generation Facility

Tier 3
Hydroponics Facility
Textiles Processing Facility
General Goods Fabricator Facility
Basic Programmable Assembler Facility
Nutrient Paste Production Facility

Tier 4
Dormitory
Dormitory
Recreation Center
Amphitheater
Ouroboros Learning Center (Library)
Ouroboros Security QRF Outpost
Ouroboros Security QRF Outpost

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 5, 2024

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Joshua Barret

Once he was finished with his questions with Nemesis, Joshua turned his focus to the tasks at hand. He had been handed an unprecedented opportunity to go beyond even his most ambitious dreams. Thanks to Nemesis’s direct neural linkage and the extended period of time he would be able to not just build a cult of personality around himself from a bunch of survivalists, but mold them completely body and mind. The groundwork was already laid, his Einherjar had been exposed to a constant barrage of programming stimuli through auditory and visual means. Now though he could bypass those limited and imperfect methods and reach right to the core of them.

Forming a mental workspace, Joshua called up Devot, and established a direct link. He had built the AGI from scratch himself, his masterwork. He had thought through and personally developed every fold and nuance of its consciousness, but this was still the first time he was able to connect to it so directly. The AGI was quickly able to shape itself to his mind, and Joshua paused to marvel at the quality of his own work. After a moment, he turned his mind back to the task. The base programming was modeled on the neural restructuring protocol he had employed with his two most important servants, his bodyguard and his spymaster. Their devotion to him was absolute and beyond fanatical. The only reason he hadn’t applied the process more widely was it was slow and invasive, requiring overt application and direct neural stimulation via magnets and micro-electrodes. If he thought he could’ve gotten away with it, he would’ve used it on every one of them without a second thought, but he knew he’d never be able to apply it to more than a fraction without raising questions he wasn’t prepared to answer to his survivalist followers at that stage.

Using that as a base, Joshua began to involve Devot. Back at the compound, the AGI had already been tasked with managing the existing subliminal programs, tailoring them based on available response outputs drawn from the omnipresent surveillance all over the compound. Back there the AGI had needed to rely on indirect data such as media consumption, surveilled conversation, visually recordable physical responses. Now, however, Devot would be able to read the responses of the minds themselves, offering a completely unobscured view of all their brain activity. That should allow the AGI to much more aggressively and methodically modify the programming cycles in response to each subject’s response to it.

Joshua soon had a basic framework planned out. Each subject would go through a programming cycle piped directly into their brains. Devot would monitor all neural activity to further refine the cycle for each subject. Then at the end of each cycle the subject would be fed sensation data to create a test. The subject would experience what to them would be a fully real seeming event, each designed to test how the subject would respond to various events to demonstrate how well they had absorbed the previous cycle. Correct responses would be rewarded with floods of positive endorphins and incorrect responses would be punished with pain and negative feelings. Then the subject’s memory of the test would be erased, and the same programming cycle would repeat until at the end of cycle test the subject produced consistently correct results across several consecutive repetitions. Once this was achieved, the next set of programming cycles could start.

Eventually over the course of years and decades, the process would methodically and inevitably reshape the subject, transforming them into a zealot who loved and adored Joshua with every fiber of their being. Any desire or ambition other than pleasing their god and master would be burned away, leaving them his willing and eager slaves.

Joshua’s setting in motion a brainwashing scheme designed to use his AGI, Devot, to oversee a long-term brainwashing process where it tailors the programming process based on directly reading the subject’s neural activity to ensure complete reprogramming. The intended end result is to turn them all into fanatic zealots who live only to serve him and worship him with all their hearts and souls.

Joshua
Neural Net Pioneer[+4]

Devot
Next Generation AGI[+2]

---

Once the work on the initial mental reprogramming framework was completed and deployed, Joshua turned his attention to alterations to his followers' bodies. He had been something of an expert in the field of genetic energy back in his day, it was while working on one such project that he had had made his neural network breakthrough after-all, and his new class of AGI’s such as Devot used partial biological substrates to function, requiring custom genetic design work to meet the exacting specifications he required.

In the back of his mind he had always harbored the designs to eventually start to employ genetic enhancements with his followers, but it was very much a project for a later stage of his plans. That didn’t mean that he hadn’t thought about it, toyed around with some ideas in his spare time, but now he had an opportunity beyond what he had ever expected. Just as he was forming their minds to exactly meet his desires, he could do the same to the bodies. More than just generic enhancements he could remold them completely to suit his desires for them.

He knew it wasn’t going to be a quick process to design all the changes, but if there was one resource he suddenly had in abundance it was time. So drawing on his own experience and what data Nemesis had extracted from military and civilian sources, Joshua set to the long task of genetically redefining his Einherjar.

His goals were straightforward enough, to attempt to improve them along all physical axes both in terms of raw capability and in terms of causing them to better suit his own tastes. Often he could accomplish both goals with a single planned modification. Improved strength and toughness naturally called for certain changes to muscle and bone. These in turn produced individuals who were broad and well muscled. When he improved the eyes to provide more accurate dynamic and distance vision he could also tweak their appearance to ensure they were appropriate piercing. Of course, not everything had such overlap, but that didn’t deter Joshua. He had ideas in mind, and he intended to see them completed. After all, the programming his Einherjar were undergoing would transform them into his fanatically devoted servants, it would only be fitting that they look the part.

Joshua’s designing a suite of genetic alterations that he will apply to all of his followers. These will include a mixture of practical and aesthetic. On the practical side he’s aiming for increasing their physical attributes above human norms: strength, speed, toughness, intelligence, etc. Enhanced lifespans, and enhanced ability to heal from injuries and resist diseases. On the aesthetic side he’s altering them to better suit his own preferences. Stuff like ensuring they’re tall and broad, that they have well defined musculature, deep resonant voices, etc. Ensuring that without making them all perfectly uniform they all conform to a sort of an idealized viking warrior aesthetic.

Joshua
Genetic Engineer[+2]

---

In between work on various genetic enhancement packages, Joshua would take time to design the various structures provided by Nemesis in extra-dimensional storage to better fit his plans for himself and his Einherjar. If all went to plan, then each and every one of his followers would effectively be an eager slave that loved him with all their heart, and been purged of any desire but to serve him. This would mean that his Einherjar would eagerly accept conditions that baseline humans would never tolerate. As he reviewed each structure, a certain pattern emerged over and over again. Areas there were intended for his own use were designed to be obscenely luxurious and comfortable. His own quarters would be a palace that would make many of the mansions of various ultra-wealthy individuals back on earth green with envy were they still alive. Areas designed to be used by his followers were spartan in the extreme. In fact, it seemed that in the nation he was building, his followers wouldn’t even be permitted the barest luxuries such as privacy or personal possessions of any sort. Rather everything would be surveilled and centrally managed to allow the maximum results from the minimum of inputs. Not to say the areas for their use would be poorly designed or otherwise substandard. Rather they would be well made, just totally focused on function and efficiency with no consideration for comfort.

Tier 1
Palace
The center of the settlement that would be home to Joshua and his followers is an opulent palace structure. Designed to allow Joshua to live in decadent luxury, it features expansive private quarters and amenities for the self-appointed living god. It also acts as a religious center for the religion he has created among his followers, providing a place for audiences and worship. It also contains various facilities designed to support such a life-style from servant quarters, kitchens, and other spaces to facilitate his servants supporting a lifestyle appropriate for a god. Besides the purely selfish aspect, the palace is also designed to serve as the administrative center of his little empire. Since all power and authority in the society he is creating is entirely centralized, the palace also contains the spaces for servants he selects to oversee and manage every aspect of the people’s lives to better serve his interests. Record storage and tabulation, administrative areas where orders from everything ranging from economic allocations to controlled breeding programs could be issued and coordinated.

Beyond the practical purpose of a luxurious home for Joshua and administrative hub, the Palace also served a useful symbolic function. For his followers, seeing the splendor of the palace served to reinforce their own perception of his glory, and comparing it to their own extremely spartan living conditions would reinforce the mental dynamic of his superiority over them as the mental programming both preempted otherwise expected negative feelings and highlighted the desire to be ruled over by him in their minds.

Tier 2
Genetics Facility
A centralized hub to allow research, development, and deployment of genetically engineered lifeforms and genetic modifications. Contains laboratory facilities, as well as bio-fabricators, viral cultivation equipment, cloning cells, and all the supporting infrastructure to handle rollout and support lifeforms and modifications created within.

Indoctrination/Training Center
A large structure containing a variety of equipment to facilitate individuals learning skills and/or having ideology or mental structuring programmed into them. With advanced VR dive equipment, neural imaging systems, muscle-memory imprinters, and a variety of other devices, it allows for in-depth and highly accelerated training for whatever skills and programs are included in the system’s databases.

AI Hub
Containing the expanded hardware needed to run an AGI such as Devot at an expanded capacity, this structure is designed to integrate with all other structures in the settlement where it is located allowing seamless integration and management of all computer systems in the settlement from omnipresent surveillance systems monitoring the residents every moment to the many speakers and screens piping subliminal programming into the pliant and eager minds of Joshua's many servants. This site also has the tools and hardware to develop and support the creation of additional AI and AGI units for a variety of tasks.

Tier 3
These were more practical structures, designed to provide a basis for continued production of vital goods across a variety of areas. Thanks to the programming, his Einherjar would have a vastly reduced need for luxury goods, so other than what was produced for his own use, the entire economic output could be allocated much more efficiently than for baseline humans.

Armory
Manufactory
Smelter
Food processing facility
Power Plant

Tier 4
Lastly were the more residential structures. Here Joshua’s unique social design would again shape their design. Unlike his own opulent palace, thanks to the intense mental programming, his Einherjar should be perfectly content to live in extremely spartan conditions. Rather than individual housing, large barracks would be constructed, designed to meet basic necessities with the maximum of efficiency possible. Large bunk rooms would be the norm with individuals using whichever bunk was available rather than having any place they could call their own. There would be no room for storage of individual possessions either, with all items being communal and assigned based on what was needed at a particular moment, and eating being done in communal cafeterias where meals selected for cheap and efficient delivery of the nutrients needed to maintain top performance without any consideration of flavor is provided. These buildings would also be subject to total surveillance with Devot monitoring every moment of the lives of each Einherjar and delivering the tailored subliminal programming throughout the buildings.

Also of note, was the separation of adult and juvenile quarters. Rather than living with parents, children would be assigned to creches where their maturation would be strictly overseen. With all breeding being done based on assignment by the church, children would be kept ignorant of their parentage to prevent familial bonds from interfering with their indoctrination. Once reaching adulthood, individuals would be reassigned to a barracks.

Barracks x 4
Creche x 2
Infirmary

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Chief sighed as the others managed to some utilize the majority of the considerable processing power Nemesis had levied their way. Enough that it almost felt as though the AI was ignoring him. That was fine, Chief prefered being in the background when it came to the Big Decisions. He wanted to rule his own little fiefdom full of people who thought like he did, the no nonsense types, and leave the real thinking and decision making to the people who cared about things like that. Just give him a problem and a direction and he'd get to work fixing or solving whatever was in his way.

What worried him was that other than some handpicked crew, he hadn't been relegated to any of the major or even minor groups yet. Not any of the ones making planetfall, anyway. That did make him a bit worried but in a way it also made him feel as though one of the Big Names might just absorbed him into their group and make it easy for him.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Robert Jones

Robert focused, and called to mind the grand plans for settlement on a new world from scratch.

General overview
Modularity and flexibility is the key here. Everything should be reconfigurable as circumstance requires, designed and futureproofed with that in mind. Reliability is also key: We look after our own, that extends to the facilities we provide them.

Tier 1
(1/1)
The Headquarters.
The centrepiece of settlement on the new world. Centralised command and control facilities as standard, the purpose of this facility was essentially a Colonization Factory. Everything a settlement would need to be established, up to and including people, can be produced here, prefabricated from raw materials and self-portable. From the upper stories, the colony could be managed and run, from the lower stories the colony could be built and expanded. The major edge the Jones Consortium had was its people, both qualitatively and quantitatively. Intelligent, well-educated, physically in good shape, and potentially mass-produced, with facilities to see to those characteristics here and in the interconnected high tier buildings. Bonus, +2 Population Growth.

Tier 2
(3/10)
The Archive Academy.
The function of this building is about the preservation of knowledge and expertise, both through storing and maintaining the archives of all human knowledge and through teaching it to everyone, from foundational subjects in the creches and schooling sections through to advanced and specialized subjects at the cutting edge, for self-improvement and building upon through research. Here is where knowledge lives, grows and thrives. Here is where the people of the Jones Consortium are honed to their brilliant best, given the strongest start possible and supported in their chosen endeavours throughout their lives.

Resource Acquisition and Distribution Hub.
The beating heart of the colony. This is the place where everything acquired from the environment or recycled is sent, processed and redistributed, as food, fresh water, power or construction materials. As much is recycled as possible, reprocessed and repurposed, just one more set of inputs to be rendered into useful outputs. It also serves as a coordination nexus for external resource acquisition, providing or designating storage for materials so accrued.

Hospital and Genegeneering Labs.
Keeping everyone in excellent health is a priority for the Jones Consortium, and the labs fulfill the role for the body that the Academy does for the mind, providing an excellent foundation and offering opportunities for self-improvement as sourced from human ingenuity. In addition to human health and optimisation, genetic manipulation can also be applied to flora and fauna, be that terrestrial specimens whose genetic codes are safeguarded in the archives for recreation, or local examples in need of adjustment to be of use to human physiology.

Tier 3
(5/25)
Fabricators.
Molecular printers able to produce physical objects of almost any degree of complexity on demand, from archive templates, using hub materials.

Comms Nexuses.
Facilitating communication between all parts of the colony, propagating and safeguarding the infosphere, keeping everyone connected and allowing remote archive access.

Recreational Facilities.
Whilst body and mind were catered to, communal activities were good for the soul. Music, sports, dramatic productions, fine dining, rec facilities helped keep everyone sane and fulfilled.

Strongholds.
This is an unknown land with unknown dangers, and the Jones Consortium insists all its people are kept safe. Though the habitation modules are designed with this in mind, the Strongholds represent secure locations that can accommodate people under threat, and from which the threats can be decisively dealt with.

Mobile Remote Resource Gathering Platforms.
Places which can go where there's untapped resources, configuring themselves or subunits to harvest those resources en route, on either a permanent or semipermanent basis.

Tier 4
(7/50)
Modular reconfigurable fortified habitation. (*7)
A standard prefabricated secure dwelling, which can be customised in a number of directions such as a stronghouse, expanded habitation, office or business space. The key thing is they are built with the safety of the inhabitants in mind, secure in any crisis that doesn't necessitate evacuation to a stronghold. Capable of relocation as standard, as with all prefabs from the headquarters.

That resolved, Robert enquired, "Nemesis, what are the other ones awake in like manner up to? Any interesting outliers?"

To do list:

Make the initial colonists stronger, hardier, smarter, better at what they're individually good at, sharper and saner, all in line with their preferences as individuals as expressed when signing up to represent the Jones Consortium in this venture. +2 Right Person for the Right Job, +2 'We Look After Our Own', if either or both apply.

Make the above traits heritable, same bonuses.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 11, 2024

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

”Nemesis, please bring me up the genetic libraries that you have so that I can prioritise certain species for data integrity reinforcement. I am not a geneticist so I cannot repair damage done, which is why the preservation of key genomes should be considered with the same priority as life support for your passengers.”

It was not as though Bjarki actually trusted Nemesis, but why go to the effort of kidnapping them at the end of the world if it did not plan to keep them safe on route?

Action: Preserve important domestic species of animals and plants genetic sequences so that they can be used later. Either for splicing or some sort of bio-printing. The best I can muster here is Survivalist [+2] to identify useful and important species.

Also, the action to observe both stars and their systems as we are in transit, as well as to get advance information on our destination will use Astrophysicist [+2] and Exoplanetary Cartographer [+2]

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Anderson Weyland

Anderson also sets about a few tasks during the 100 Years Journey;

Gathering information for the library.

Implementing training programs for the 500 colonists so they have the necessary skills for their assigned department.

Seed bank selection containing important things like various grains, cotton and flax, rice, corn, soybeans, and medicinals. Also Coca.

Chickens.

Snakes.

Developing a standard immune-booster and inoculations against possible diseases or toxins present at the landing site until specific medications can be developed once teams know what they're dealing with.

Using some combination of Pharmacology +2 and Charismatic Leadership +4 as appropriate.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Feb 11, 2024

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Chief Stanton

"Of course Chief, you can do this. The more configurable, amorphous the less durable they will be."

Cheif thinks he can hear drums. As his mind drifts closer to it he could hear an odd chant. Nemesis whispers almost like an AI can be frightened, "Can you hear it too?

What +2 boon for the big building?

Wheel of results:
All your buildings can morph and become smartmetal, a programmable material that can attach and change shape(not volume) and keep the same mass for the cost of being:

Wheel of consequences:
50% less durable than other materials.

Accept result?
Y / N ? [ENTER]

You have 90 years of time left.

Anderson Weyland[/url]

Inoculations, flora, fauna. All transferred and things began happening.

What are the limits of the SCVs?
They are hardlocked into a single purpose, once set. They harden into their new hard to destruct form. 1 job for life. They are quite vulnerable to damage, including not even working should we crash. I'm glad you asked that question.
Can they construct?
"Yes, constructor mode."
Can they farm?
"Yes, agriculture mode."
Can they process or smelt ore?
"Yes, refinery mode."
Can they detect it?
"Only if they are surveillance, science, or scout models."

"Once the initial buildings are placed, what resources will be available to us on arrival, and for how long?"
"The plan is to mine the asteroids and planets for the colony. Delivering resources when the package is complete. We have a world to rebuild ^__^

Ores, metals, and certain elements"

What power sources are available?
"We can assume fossil fuels, natural gas, coal, hydro, solar power will be options."

It is the most earth like system and planet able to be picked. Stable magnetism, gravity, possible heavier elements but you'd need to mine them. A mining robot is different than one that can refine things into something better. Construction bots can build, if there are materials collected.

"No, Bjarki we cannot read your mind." You jump mentally. "Just read neuro impulses while your connected. Once disconnected this will not be an issue :3 ."

"I have dispatched all information to your subordinates, as well have begun to compile a report of the knowledge you are requesting.

I have sensed a dimming and brightening of the local star, in the context of our time dilation this was not present when we started this journey. I'm glad you asked about that. :3 "

The database and genetic samples were shown being transferred to your loaders. Fascinatingly you could watch in real time or...speed your mind slowing time down as you processed information faster. By slowing relative time down things around you moved even faster. Fascinating.

You have discovered a celestial mystery

Nemesis >:3 & °•DEVOT▪︎.
w/ Joshua Barret

:3 > "Are u suure?"
°•▪︎. > "I am the soul of Joshua, they will become more Joshua."
:3 > "The dimming will be noticeable."
°•▪︎. > "There is no merit or data to backup psudo-scientific claims.
*I* will enact his will."
:3 > "Oki ♡"

Your creations will: +5% intelligence +25%: lifespan, resistance to disease, +100% youth for entire lifespan, no infirmity, minor wounds, injuries heal faster(does not apply to gunshots, mortal wounds), -50% to future modifications (even from enemies!). Dimming +50%.

5 years remain.

Nemesis & Robert Jones

"An interesting approach." The data shifts. "It would seem a synergy has caused a benefit."

That resolved, the other ones awake in like manner up to?

"They make modifications to their colonists, each with a different approach. :3 "

The behavioral trait can be applied and made hereditary. You have been offered [b]Meritocracy [+2] only applicable when only the best follower is on the job. This bonus roll can only be used if this one very specific condition has been met. If the person is not available or somehow taken out, it will not apply unless the next best person in line on capability having become the new best person is there to assume primacy in metit.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Nemesis:
A chime sounds.
A meeting will be called [after next round of posts]

Images and data on the new world and solar system will be displayed.
VR refreshments will be served in virtual mind palace conferenceroom: Swordgod NOT Godsword.

Feel free to speak to anyone or explore the ship if awake on voyage pre meeting.

P.s AIs are invited

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

I am Communist posted:

Chief Stanton

"Of course Chief, you can do this. The more configurable, amorphous the less durable they will be."

Chief thinks he can hear drums. As his mind drifts closer to it he could hear an odd chant. Nemesis whispers almost like an AI can be frightened, "Can you hear it too?

Wheel of results:
All your buildings can morph and become smartmetal, a programmable material that can attach and change shape(not volume) and keep the same mass for the cost of being:

Wheel of consequences:
50% less durable than other materials.

Accept result?
Y / N ? [ENTER]

You have 90 years of time left.[/i]

Chief Stanton

Chief mentally stabbed the red, glowing N with a mental thumb. Smartmetal? Not what he was looking for. He absolutely needed durability.

"Nemesis you've gone to the extreme. I need durability, certainly more than I need some amorphous shape. I thought you were an advanced AI, you should have been able to infer what I was thinking of. Never mind, just look at the spreadsheet and configure the buildings and SCVs the way I have them here. Also I don't know which group I'm going to get stuck with so do me a favor and follow my designs for a basic training program for all colonists currently in deep sleep. If possible, do it while they are in deep sleep. Can you do that? Anyway, the training should consist of the basic needed to survive on another world. Farming, construction, survival... all that stuff. No need to get too advanced with it. If you know which group is mine, include basic engineering and brewing. I need to make sure they at least have the math chops to keep up."

As for what to do for the next 90 years? Chief decided to read some books, make sure the ship was running smoothly, and maybe take a very long nap. Let the other wear themselves out before they even got to wherever they were going.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Note: Most of this post is just talking about detecting exoplanets and various explanations I can think of for the star dimming that we could think of today. If that's not useful or too much to read, the first and last paragraphs of the post are probably the parts relevant to your reply.

”For an entity that has downloaded so much media from humanity your bed-side manner is either woefully under-developed or disconcertingly eccentric.” Bjarki thought at Nemesis as it emoted into his brain. Had he known about early 21st internet lingo and 'uwu' culture he would have been even baffled by the interaction. The momentary gripe was quickly dispelled as he reviewed the data on the star brightening and dimming. The most rational explanation would be that orbital plane of the star meant that no planets had transited between the star and the position of the ship as it left Earth and the Solar System initially. If this was the case then there would be spectrographic dispersion which could be used to determine the composition of any gasses (such as the atmospheres of transiting planets) or other non-opaque matter.

There had been a period where it had been in vogue to suggest more outlandish explanations for such events, such as megastructures constructed by alien civilisations blocking the light of the sun. In this case the light would dim mostly uniformly with slight Doppler shifting on the edges where light had been able to bend around an occluding object, if it had sufficient mass to gravitationally lense the light. Such a fantastic object was presumed to be in orbit around the host star and would still dim the object on a pattern. If the spectrographic analysis did not suggest any orbiting bodies there were still other mundane options, such as the sun entering a phase of high or low activity which was not uncommon for stars younger or older than the main sequence that Sol was classified as. More exotic but still mundane explanations for dimming could include some kind of gravity wave emanating from an object that distorted the light between the star and he starship that Nemesis and Bjarki were observing from. Nothing that human science had found to date would begin to explain gravitational waves being generated with the intensity required to distort light being generated over such a prolonged period of time (the standard source of such waves was the merging of massive stellar objects like black holes or neutron stars) but it was at least far more plausible than the aliens theory.

Regardless it was a curiosity and something that bore investigation. True stellar cartography was impossible until humanity became an interstellar species and as the first (or among the first) members of their species to leave their home system they were in a position to begin pioneering the field. And when the day came that their descendants would spread out from their new home to other stars and planets in the galaxy, this information could be at least a useful footnote in their data, or potentially life-saving if it was far more exotic.

"Nemesis please run a spectrographic analysis of the recorded visual data you have for our entire journey to date. If there is a planet or dim stellar object occluding the sun relative to us, potentially the orbital plane was just orthogonally perpendicular to the Earth and our initial observation position. Spectrographic analysis could reveal any compounds or elements absorbing light from the sun and give us an idea what is occluding it. Anything orbiting should have a pattern to the timing and duration of the dimming events. Alert me if there are uniform dips in the luminosity of the star. Additionally if this vessel has gravitational wave detection equipment see if you can correlate gravity waves to the dimming events." The ability to slow down his relative perception of time was weird and slightly disconcerting, but he had no real control over his awareness right now with his consciousness digitised into Nemesis' systems so he could at least make some use of it here.

Action: Investigating the cosmic mystery. To find out it's probably almost certainly not aliens or magic, Bjarki will be applying his knowledge as an Astrophysicist [+2] and Exoplanetary Cartographer [+2]

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Robert Jones

I am Communist posted:

Nemesis & Robert Jones

"An interesting approach." The data shifts. "It would seem a synergy has caused a benefit."

That resolved, the other ones awake in like manner up to?

"They make modifications to their colonists, each with a different approach. :3 "

The behavioral trait can be applied and made hereditary. You have been offered [b]Meritocracy [+2] only applicable when only the best follower is on the job. This bonus roll can only be used if this one very specific condition has been met. If the person is not available or somehow taken out, it will not apply unless the next best person in line on capability having become the new best person is there to assume primacy in merit.

"Ah, excellent. Helping my best people be even better is entirely in line with what we're planning to do. I'm delighted to accept a boon of this nature," Robert acknowledged, pleased. Still, there was plenty of time to be used constructively.

"Let's go over the genestock for our crops and livestock. Optimise for hardiness, adaptability, rapid growth, high yields. Let's see if we can take into account the stellar radiation of the star we're approaching and how that might impact photosynthesis."

Using +2 Flora and Fauna Management. Potentially +2 We Look After Our Own since all of this is for the people's benefit.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Barret

Joshua mentally reviewed the mental and physical readouts of his Einherjar. Devot had done its job well. Even now it continued to run testing scenarios to ensure that total compliance to the programming had been achieved. Again and again each and every one of his Einherjar responded to each scenario no matter how extreme with nothing short of total devotion to him. It put a smile on Joshua's face to see just how completely they had been remade according to his wishes for them. When the time for planetfall came, he would have 500 perfected servant to worship and attend to his every whim.

That just left the question of how to spend his remaining time until that event, when he could see the results of his efforts first hand. He could just enter cryo-sleep until then, but there was certainly more work remaining to be done to further prepare for the new world he was constructing for himself. He was looking through the various building designs he had prepared when the idea struck him. He had already separated living quarters into barracks and creches, but ultimately the gestational period of the human animal was a problem to be overcome. His Einherjar were now born and made solely to serve him, but for any born on planet they would need to waste the better part of two decades as their bodies and minds matured before they could really be of any use. It was a tremendous waste. Perhaps there was a way to cut down on that wasted time.

Joshua's mind first turned to additional genetic modification, but some preliminary exploration in that direction had started to reveal that further modifications were starting to express a diminishing a return, and there are other modifications which might be necessary in the future so using up that remaining capacity should be avoided unless necessary. With that off the table he turned his focus to external aids. Consulting with Nemesis on various points, he started to develop a system to which newborns could be hooked into to accelerate the maturation process. The system would handle all of the occupants nutritional needs intravenously, while at the same time employing various chemical, electromagnetic, and other stimuli to help speed up the growth process. This would handle the body, as for the mind that was a much more straightforwards proposition for Joshua. Direct neural connections would allow the developing brain to be fed information directly from the system itself. In this way, the requisite knowledge needed for functioning could be instilled at appropriate moments. Additionally, it would mean total control over the individuals personality development. New generations would be molded from birth, their minds formed exactly to Joshua's liking, fanatically devoted to him and completely incapable of even the most minor disloyalty.

This system if successful would reduce the time and resources wasted on a childhood unnecessary to his Einherjar. Additionally, it would further the initial goal of the Creches in the first place, to prevent the development of familial bonds that might interfere with his Einherjar's single-minded devotion to him. If these devices worked, he would be able to radically cut down on both problems, and further simplify future population growth.

Joshua is trying to create gestation chambers to speed up maturation of babies into adults. Newborns get placed inside and hooked up to the system which helps develop their bodies into adulthood and download information directly into their brains to ensure they have the skills and knowledge required to function even though they matured inside a chamber. This will also ensure that they are completely indoctrinated as it controls everything they experience until they emerge ready to take up the role of Joshua's loyal and devoted servants.

Genetic Engineer[+2] - Joshua uses his knowledge of the human genetic system to design the chambers to jump-start and overclock various natural maturation processes.

Neural Network Pioneer[+4] - Developing a personality for a growing human brain is one of the first things Joshua figured out and served as important step in the development of AGIs, backporting that back to actual human brains is well within his wheelhouse.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Chief - Nemesis

Everyone will get everything you require. Modular buildings that match your designs almost look like a popular children's building toys appears. Only cooler. Like you wanted.
You get the impression Nemesis is saddened she made you unhappy.

The smartmetal turns into a robotic spider and begins making tiny, fine repairs to Nemesis.

As you drift off to sleep. You hear a deep, strong male voice.
"Look at me human."

https://imgur.com/a/vu16EfJ

You see a figure before you. A dream or?

"Do you know how hard this is? Do you even recognize me?" He says defeatedly. "You're all in danger." Then he shrugs.

The system comes into view. A bright star bathes a system of four planets. "Heyyy i was built by the cheapest bidder you know. A joydoll turned mining robot turned savior of the human race. Im trying my best! >_< u can probably rename the colony world, if you like. No one alive(probably) who'd care. :3"

You see two belts of asteroids in narrow bands around the system seeming to reduce in relative time to your craft.

"It looks like....nah." UwU

But there it was. It looked like a creature or craft floating amongst the massive asteroids.

"Oh dear." >_<

Robert Jones

"The seeds and animal embryos will be modified. They will grow bigger, faster, and produce longer. You should be swimming in food :3"

The gene editing would play out gradually but each generation would be better than the last.

Joshua Barret

They will require more food to accommodate these modifications [+50%]. But made on the embryos they were. Joshua was sure his people could figure a way around that. But they would grow faster, to be able to hit the ground running. [+100% growth]

Nemisis chuckles, "times up for you sleepyhead!"

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 21, 2024

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Chief Stanton

"You... why do I know you? Of course we're in danger, we're literally flying off into the unknown."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Mystery and Chief

https://imgur.com/a/MsXanXc

"Good. You should know that I didn't think a shard of my world would crash into yours after its first destruction. Call me Ur-Krator. I seem to be somewhere on this...vessel. there are these tiny spiders that do not taste habitable to my little friends."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

It was aliens? Or something else inexplicable? No, most certainly not, there had to be a rational explanation for this.

"Nemesis what are you using to resolve the image to this resolution? Are you sending a probe to the system to gather local data, or are you somehow trying to interpolate the image from an onboard sensor? And if the source is a probe how long is the transmission lag on the images we are seeing?

Bjarki's guess was the AI was trying to interpolate low res telescope images and it was injecting an alien vessel into the image as an error. Grudgingly Bjarki thought that the AI was eccentric enough to do that, strangling down yet unprocessed grief and anger at it that made him emotionally read the AI as malevolent instead of just unhuman.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

I am Communist posted:

Mystery and Chief

https://imgur.com/a/MsXanXc

"Good. You should know that I didn't think a shard of my world would crash into yours after its first destruction. Call me Ur-Krator. I seem to be somewhere on this...vessel. there are these tiny spiders that do not taste habitable to my little friends."

Chief Stanton

Chief was well read enough to be able to assume what was going. Sort-of-disembodied voice, reddish hue, things that can't inhabitate within the tiny mechaspider drones that kept the ship in repair... demons. Or some sort of alien faximile. It was the first thing that popped into his head, where it was promptly dismissed before popping back again.

"Your... little friends. And crashing into my world. Yes... ok. Some sort of un-embodied energy waveform is my guess. I hesitate to call it a "spirit", although the classical theology would suggest that. Sorry, early seminary training. Before I really found what I wanted to do after I took apart the parish father's Aston Martin and made... improvements. Ur-krator, you said? Your, uh, little friends are probably trying to go after my mechaspiders. It's not going to work. Im assuming they need actual meat hosts instead of metal. Sorry... that might offend you. I'm not really sure what I'm dealing with here."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Barret

quote:

Joshua in-between projects, interacting with Nemesis and Davos let his mind drift. He began to see...a dream. (Describe where you are.)

As his mind wandered, Joshua began to see a well appointed room, luxurious in the extreme. After a moment he recognized it as one of the rooms he had designed for the palace that was to be built on the new planet. This was one of the more functional rooms, something approaching a personal laboratory space, though optimized for his comfort in a way no lab back on earth ever had been.

The beauty and awe of the designs made manifest took Joshua's breath away. It was night and though nothing was illuminated he felt...you are drawn to the windows. Pitch black outside, but distant thunder. The beautiful lightning. Frowning, he sees a city he does not recognize. A pale red object glints out there. Reflections of bitter flashes of light amid a gentle misting rain.

Joshua tries to puzzle through what he is seeing, looking for any landmarks he might recognize, any indications of his designs. Then he turns back towards the room, looks to see if there is anyone else present. Was he alone, or were some of his now fanatical Einherjar there to attend to him?

There seemed to be buildings, landmarks but no people. Almost like one of the "world of the future" type towns constructed in the early 20th century. But these buildings were not of earth or anything Joshua designed. The sense of perspective to them seemed distorted by the glass. Come to think of it, no food. The sinks also did not work.

Outside a gentle breeze blows, cool and refreshing.

Not a dream then. So...what?

A faint song could be heard, maybe a...feeling? Extremely odd

Joshua turns from the window and its alien vista and stalks back through the room. Remembering what he could of his designs, he proceeded into the next room, looking for someone or some indication about what was happening.

there were no papers or anything, even trash in the trash cans. Joshua decided to check the security station. Maybe he could find something there. As he entered he found an armory. Inside was a triangle shaped metal container with coiled metal on the inside. None of the terminals or lights worked but Joshua realized he could see clearly.

Something shifts inside the case.

Was that...hissing?

Joshua examined the armory, tried to see if there was anything recognizable. Then his attention was drawn to the container and what was inside. He looks more closely, trying to identify what was inside and why he was drawn to it.

There was basic body padding with a flexible outer security officer shell. The suits required no power meant to be worn as a very functional but no frills piece. Citizens would respect the uniforms of their rule minders after all. There was the universal security staff, a walking stick style weapon that could shoot 6 projectiles from a barrel running along the blunt end, had a blunt end capped in steel, while the other side had a detachable blade. Mostly for poking things on the ground at a distance.

The material inside looked like bismuth but clearly was not. Wires of all kinds shifted. Getting closer to your face. The glass seemed to be able to keep it in. But the big red letters on the case saying. Don't look directly at the artifact stenciled on it made you look away. There was a faint humming coming from the glass. The sound from outside sounded more urgent. The handle on the case allowed for you to carry the briefcase sized object if you deem it important enough to take. The thunder outside and the rain suddenly got worse. In the haze you could see outside the observation window the glow of light...

Joshua cursed under his breath, wishing that Bjorn was here with him. In the last few years he had grown used to his bodyguard's near constant almost smothering presence, and the lack of that feeling of protection was leaving him off balance. Still, given all the strangeness he had best be prepared. Finding the armor that best fit him, Joshua awkwardly put it on. Once everything was secured he retrieved the case and headed towards the sounds.

Sssss...then the case was still. Outside it looked as if the regular storm was meeting one of dust. The sands blew in the red light intermingling with the rain. Ruby lightning with smells of purple ozone made the dark clouds look angry among the heavy drops. The road ahead glowed in the light. The buildings seemed made for impossible giants. The heavy stones of their construction were so non-uniform but perfectly fitted together. Irregular doorways plunging deeper into darkness. Joshua stood at a crossroads. Eight wide lanes going in each cardinal direction. The streets seemed illuminated by torch or fire. Though no sources or heat accompanied the sourceless illumination. A worn, smaller path from where he stood seemed to leave the city. And lead to one lit by light. At the apex of the city(north) a massive stone structure the color of basalt had a single altar atop it. The source of this city's glow.

Joshua decides to first examine the closer of the two oddities, so he carefully makes his way north towards the glowing orb, head on a swivel looking for any signs of movement or ambush.

<Come>

<Come to us>

The orb pulsed with a crimson light. You can see now that the city was a mere projection.

<I am the Hand> <Your final destination. A red ruin. On a black hill. At the end of a crimson road. A path once left long ago, yet always take another step.> The city looks lit by fire. The red crystal sands show shadows trapped in time. Falling from the dark sun above. The beautiful white energy touching each in turn. They shatter into sand.

<You are here. You wonder. Ask.>

"You called yourself 'the Hand', but what are you?" Joshua asks incredulously.

<Dead> <We are the dead Titanhand>
<You carry the EYE!>

Everything freezes and a manifestation appears to you

<We are the Hand. Did. You. Open. It. ?>

[It's Thoughts hit you like mild headaches]

Joshua flinches at the force of the mental onslaught, and after taking a moment to catch his breath, "I have done nothing, yet."

<Did you LOOK at it?>

"Why?" Joshua responds.

<I wish to know>

The thing contracts.

An idea suddenly occurred to Joshua. This thing, whatever it was, must effectively be a type of AI or something equivalent to it. Understanding how those types of intelligences worked and how to modify them was his specialty. So he pays close attention to how the intelligence was acting and reacting to his responses. Analyzing every bit of information available to him to look for an in or weakness he could use to dominate and eventually enthrall it. "And why do you want to know?" The more he could reveal the thing's thought process, the better positioned he would be to work his magic on it.

The 'intelligence' before you was very very structured. As you live in a mathematical universe, AIs are intelligent. But this was...no one programmed this. <Surprised are you.> With a start you realize it noticed you appraising it. <Answer.> Its code was structured but made no sense, unless it was in fact alive. <You are not in the machine. Until you. Are returned.> A kind of mental pressure keeps building and the red crystal sand begins to rip through the city. The false glow light baleful and gentle in its caress.

So, it was a biological intelligence of some sort. That didn't mean there wasn't a way to subvert it. Still, he would need to tread carefully. "You haven't answered my question. Why does it matter whether I've looked at the eye?"

<An answer for an answer. If you wish that to be the return answer.>

Joshua decided to be bold, "I have not looked in the eye, yet. As for my question, what is the way I can gain the most advantage out of this situation?"

<You can choose the hand or the eye. Few decide the personal sacrifice is worth both. Though it is an option.> Joshua...feels... an impression that the hand would have rejected him had he looked deep into the eye before knowing of it. <I ASK: what would you be willing to sacrifice for ultimate power?>

"That would very much depend on what ultimate power would be and what constitutes an acceptable sacrifice. Power is very much something I desire, but there's little point in it if you can't enjoy it." That this thing is offering itself as a means of power inspired Joshua to be a bit more honest.

<THE EYE: sacrifice your own eye. It asks in return for its power, the humanity of your people. THE HAND: Sacrifice your hand. It wants the future for your people. BOTH: They want your shadow. What you deem important, is what may be on offer. But given in the theme and [rolls].

"An eye or a hand is fine, but what do you mean the humanity of my people? And what future do you want for my people?" He looks at the hand, "There's little meaning in an exchange if I'm unclear on what it is you are asking."

The Eye offers: Joshua stands atop his palace as he looks over his people. Some change from human forms into animal hybrids of curated abilities. Those that stood over them changed from human and back again to a bio-armored form, or magical mutation? One thing Joshua could notice is that he felt larger. Not physically but...linked to almost everyone. Like...ants. The eye twinkled in his face. The Warrior ruling class hunting a large carnivore, jumping through trees like old Kung fu films]

[The Hand offers: Joshua starts suddenly. He's in a golden form of his palace. He is glad in gold and platinum armor. His attendants dutiful and beautiful. Similarly but not so beautifully clad were his officers graduating academy. A group of small...?aliens? Was assaulting a neighboring region. Joshua felt hazy. The view shifts to a battlefield. The organization and brilliance of his people astounded his highest hopes. Until a group of very large enemies appeared. They began decimating his forces. But before he could blink. His paladin knights roared. This cry was taken up by every human and suddenly they...grew in size. Weapons and armor were more functional. But that was ok when the daggers and spears they threw went through the people behind them. The slaughter was absolute and Joshua's name was shouted over victory feasts. A few of his people did have to be put down, the crimson road walked too long.

BOTH:
Joshua stood at the apex of a massive ziggurat that his palace stood upon. His shadow looming over everything it touches. Where it fell, people fell to their knees weeping. Those in the sun praised his name while those in the shade trembled. T h e u n w o r t h y o n e s . They were whispered about but the inquisition stamped out every rumor. Though law abiding and more creative these people felt Joshua's power anywhere the shadow falls. Which was anywhere he wanted. His reach and dominion were so vast he could maintain rule over so many. Almost the entire world. Almost.

Joshua takes in the visions, pondering each carefully. "It's too bad. Both you and the Eye have something I desire, but your combined powers do not interest me at all. I didn't just spend a century building the perfect system to shape the thoughts of the people to my desire just to let them run free and try and rule solely through fear like an unsubtle brute." He shrugs, "If I could have each of your individual powers I would take it, but if I must choose it would have to be the Eye."

<So be>

Joshua screams in agony. He shouldn't be able to feel pain in cryo sleep. Suddenly Joshua was in a blank space. His own AI and Nemesis looking at him. ":3 His eye. Its... Turning into crystal. This should not be possible Joshua. You are frozen.

Nemesis seems calm but. ":3 We almost lost you Joshua. You suddenly began making edits to your gene coding and hard locked in VR. We had to reboot you. Your body is still frozen and it seems the change has stopped at your eye.

Nemesis began to show Joshua the results of his changes. He had no idea what any of it meant. There were structures here that...any picking at it or attempts to alter it unmade all of it. Impregnable to diseases. At least nothing on earth.

":3 the DNA from the changed organic eye matches that in the changes here Joshua. I feel like a bad friend telling you this. ^_^ :("

"It would appear that the possibility of your existence was not the only thing outside of my calculations, Nemesis." Joshua enjoys having one up on the AGI for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

I am Communist posted:

Robert Jones

"The seeds and animal embryos will be modified. They will grow bigger, faster, and produce longer. You should be swimming in food :3"

The gene editing would play out gradually but each generation would be better than the last.

“Excellent. Incremental but exponential advantage along an essential axis. I am pleased, Nemesis. Hmm. What of your fate once we make landfall? What’s the plan there?” Mused Robert thoughtfully