Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Robviously posted:

Am I missing where to find the old army rules or am I misthinking that they were going to give us rules for forces other than Brets/Skeles via pdf?

That comes once the pre order period is over along with the core rulebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Robviously posted:

Am I missing where to find the old army rules or am I misthinking that they were going to give us rules for forces other than Brets/Skeles via pdf?

The army rules are either in forces of fantasy or ravening hordes depending on if its a good or evil faction. So Brets, Empire, w elves, h elves, dwarfs in fantasy. Chaos, beastmen, o&g ravening hordes, and TK in ravening hordes.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Issaries posted:

Anyone noticed what the 'Impetious' special rule on Orcs and goblins do?
I assume it's the animosity rule replacement.

A video I saw said if they can declare a charge then they must on a 4+. They’re basically always getting the aggressive animosity result

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Core rulebook was out of stock when I made it through the queue so I'll just wait on that and hope someone dumps the important stuff somewhere.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Pre-ordered Brets from my LGS, very excited. I'm the nostalgic nerd with little financial sense that GW markets to.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

On that note, if I wanted to make a Warriors of Chaos army for both AoS and TOW, am I better off with round bases or squares?

As mentioned, the size will be important, bit it's much easier to find movement trays that will take round bases than getting adapters to turn every single square base into a circle, since AoS doesn't use trays.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

3 Action Economist posted:

As mentioned, the size will be important, bit it's much easier to find movement trays that will take round bases than getting adapters to turn every single square base into a circle, since AoS doesn't use trays.

Though Trays can be nice in AoS.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Is the hand weapon and shield Parry save back? If it is, is it an armor or ward save?

I might dig out some State Troops from the attic tonight to work on tomorrow and I'm mulling over how I want to build them.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I was rooting around in my drawers and rediscovered the shitload of Dwarf and Night Goblin units I bought from the old Battle for Skull Pass set. I wonder what size blocks of infantry the NGs will be used in now that horde isn't a thing. I have something like 150 of them that were going to be two blocks of 75 back before End Times. Hopefully they'll be more sensible as three or four regiments now.

I also have a couple of Arachnaroks that I never built. I'm going to end up buying into O&G as well as dwarfs. poo poo.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I was rooting around in my drawers and rediscovered the shitload of Dwarf and Night Goblin units I bought from the old Battle for Skull Pass set. I wonder what size blocks of infantry the NGs will be used in now that horde isn't a thing. I have something like 150 of them that were going to be two blocks of 75 back before End Times. Hopefully they'll be more sensible as three or four regiments now.

I also have a couple of Arachnaroks that I never built. I'm going to end up buying into O&G as well as dwarfs. poo poo.

One of us, one of us, one of us

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The base size has changed for all of the little fellas it looks like. Bollocks to re-basing though, I'll just get some 2.5mm strips of plasticard and modify their movement trays.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm just glad empire characters can take demigryph mounts now. A knightly order grand master on one of those is going to be a pretty mean brawler. You can even make a baby Kurt Helborg and give him the laurels of victory - any wounds caused by the wearer count as 2 for combat resolution.

I also feel myself being pulled towards ordering a bunch of flagellants and making a little cult of Sigmar army. They're 13 point glass cannons, but if they can charge...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So comparing a basic Empire Soldier with a basic Chaos Warrior and no upgrades.

Empire Soldier
Move 4 WS 3 BS 3 S 3 T 3 W 1 I 1 A 1 LD 7 Points 5
Equipment: Hand Weapon and Light Armour.

Chaos Warrior
Move 4 WS 5 BS 3 S 4 T 4 W 1 I 4 A 1 LD 8 Points 13
Equipment: Hand Weapon and Heavy Armour.
Ensorcelled weapon makes the Hand Weapon Magic and AP 1, and Mark of Chaos Undivided lets them reroll failed Panic, Fear, or Terror tests.

Overall I am liking the look of Chaos Warriors. Looking forward to seeing all the customization

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Empire Soldiers should be compared to chaos marauders, warriors are the next step up in infantry, imo.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Is the hand weapon and shield Parry save back?

Nup, not in.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lostconfused posted:

Empire Soldiers should be compared to chaos marauders, warriors are the next step up in infantry, imo.

I just wanted to check how what are likely to be my default troops compared to the baseline trained human. I don’t have any Marauders.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Making a list of the generic magic items mostly for my own reference. I'm already tired of referring to youtube videos. Thought I'd share it.

Magic Weapons
Ogre Blade - 65 points
S+2 AP-2
Armor Bane (1), Magical Attacks, Multiple Wounds (D3)

Sword of Battle - 60 points
S+1 AP-1
Armor Bane (1), Extra Attacks (+1), Magical Attacks

Duellist's Blades - 55 points
S AP-1
Extra Attacks (+2), Magical Attacks, Requires Two Hands

Dragon Slaying Sword - 50 points
S AP-
Magical Attacks, Monster Slayer

Headsman's Axe - 45 points
S+1 AP-1
Killing Blow, Magical Attacks, Requires Two Hands

Spelleater Axe - 35 points
S AP-1
Magical Attacks, Magic Resistance (-2)

Giant Blade - 30 points
S+1 AP-
Armor Bane (2), Magical Attacks, Multiple Wounds (2)

Sword of Swiftness - 25 points
S AP-
Magical Attacks, Strike First

Berserker Blade - 20 points
S+1 AP-
Frenzy, Magical Attacks

Sword of Might - 20 points
S+1 AP-1
Magical Attacks

Biting Blade - 15 points
S AP-2
Armor Bane (1), Magical Attacks

Sword of Striking - 15 points
S AP-
Magical Attacks and the wielder gains +1 to hit in combat

Burning Blade - 5 points
S AP-
Flaming Attacks, Magical Attacks

Magic Armor
Armor of Destiny - 70 points
Heavy armor with a 4+ ward save

Bedazzling Helm - 60 points
Can be combined with other armor. Increases the wearer's save by +1 and any enemy that attacks the wearer suffers -1 to hit in close combat

Armor of Silvered Steel - 40 points
Gives its wearer a 3+ armor save that cannot be improved in any way

Glittering Scales - 35 points
Light armor. Additionally, once per turn you can make your opponent re-roll a single To Hit roll made against the wearer.

Shield of the Warrior True - 30 points
Shield that also gives the bearer a 5+ ward save against shooting attacks

Spellshield - 25 points
Shield that also gives the bearer a 5+ ward save against magic missiles, magical vortices, or assailment spells

Armor of Meteoric Iron - 20 points
Gives its wearer a 5+ armor save that cannot be improved nor reduced in any way

Enchanted Shield - 10 points
Shield that provides its bearer with a 6+ ward save against any non-magical attack

Charmed Shield - 5 points
Shield that gives its bearer a one-use 5+ ward save against a single wound. Once it's been used it become a normal, non-magical shield

Talismans
Dawnstone - 35 points
The bearer may re-roll any armor save rolls of a natural 1

Talisman of Protection - 30 points
Provides the bearer with a 5+ ward save

Paymaster's Coin - 25 points
Single use. The bearer may re-roll any failed rolls to hit in the Combat Phase.

Obsidian Lodestone - 20 points
A model may purchase up to three of these. Each provides a stacking magic resistance buff up to -3.

Luckstone - 15 points
Single use. The bearer can re-roll a single failed armor save roll.

Magic Standards
Banner of Iron Resolve - 50 points
A unit carrying this banner gains the Stubborn special rule

Razor Standard - 40 points
A unit carrying this banner gains the Armor Bane (2) special rule

Rampaging Banner - 30 points
A unit carrying this banner may re-roll its charge roll

The Blazing Banner - 25 points
A unit carrying this banner gains the Flaming Attacks special rule

War Banner - 25 points
A unit carrying this banner gains an additional +1 to combat resolution

Enchanted Items
Wizarding Hat - 45 points
The wearer becomes a level 1 wizard and knows one randomly generated spell from a lore of magic of your choosing. However, they also become subject to Stupidity.

Flying Carpet - 40 points
Infantry or heavy infantry only. The bearer gains Fly (8) and Swiftstride, but cannot join a unit.

Healing Potion - 35 points
Single use. The bearer can consume the potion during the Command sub-phase of their turn and immediately regains D3 lost wounds.

Ruby Ring of Ruin - 30 points
The wielder can cast the Fireball spell from the Lore of Battle Magic as a bound spell with a power level of 2

Potion of Strength - 25 points
Single use. The bearer can consume the potion during the Command sub-phase of their turn and gains +D3 strength (up to 10) until the end of that turn.

Potion of Toughness - 20 points
Single use. The bearer can consume the potion during the Command sub-phase of their turn and gains +D3 toughness (up to 10) until the end of that turn.

Potion of Speed - 10 points
Single use. The bearer can consume the potion during the Command sub-phase of their turn and gains +D3 initiative (up to 10) until the end of that turn.

Potion of Foolhardiness - 5 points
Single use. The bearer can consume the potion during the Command sub-phase of their turn and gains the Immune to Psychology special rule until the end of that turn.

Arcane Items
Feedback Scroll - 60 points
Single use. The bearer may use the scroll instead of making a dispel attempt. The spell is cast as normal. Once the spell has been resolved, roll two D6. For each roll of a 4+ the casting wizard loses a single wound.

Scroll of Transmogrification - 50 points
Single use. The bearer may use the scroll instead of making a dispel attempt. The spell is cast as normal. Once the spell has been resolved, the casting player must roll equal to or lower than the casting wizard's level on a single d6. If they fail, the wizard turns into a frog.

While transmogrified, the wizard cannot cast or dispel any spells, cannot use any of their equipment, and reduces all of their characteristics (excluding wounds) to 1. During each Start of Turn sub-phase, a player may roll a D6 for each transmogrified wizard in their army. On a roll of a 4+, the wizard returns to normal.

Wand of Jet - 45 points
The bearer may apply a +1 modifier to any of their casting or dispel rolls. However, if they roll any natural double when making a casting or dispel roll the wand is destroyed and cannot be used again.

Lore Familiar - 30 points
The owner of this familiar does not randomly generate their spells. Instead, they may choose which spells they know from their chosen lore, including that lore's signature spell.

Power Scroll - 20 points
Single use. The bearer may use the scroll when attempting to cast a spell. If they do so, roll an extra D6 when making the casting roll and discard the lowest result. However, if a double 1 is rolled on any two of the dice rolled, the spell is miscast.

Dispel Scroll - 20 points
Single use. The bearer may use the scroll when attempting a Wizardly Dispel. If they do so, roll an extra D6 when making the dispel roll and discard the lowest result. However, if a double 1 is rolled on any two of the dice rolled, the wizard is outclassed in the art.

Arcane familiar - 15 points
The owner of this familiar knows spells from two lores of magic rather than one. When determining the spells the wizard knows you must roll for each lore separate, re-rolling duplicates as normal. The wizard may discard one randomly generate spell as normal, replacing it with the signature spell of the same lore of magic.

Earthing Rod - 5 points
Single use. Should they miscast a spell, a wizard can use the earthing rod to re-roll the result rolled on the miscast table.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 9, 2024

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Yeast posted:

Nup, not in.

Womp womp...

Lostconfused posted:

Warriors actually took a bit of a hit. They only get heavy armor. Chosen get full plate and Chaos Armor (which is a ward now).

Marauders have the option to skirmish now, which is an interesting wrinkle.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's like total war games where you can get marauders that are light cavalry/skirmishers.

Although watching Bretonians plow through with a charge and then go into another combat in the same turn kind of makes me think skirmish screens might not be very useful.

Then again, skirmishers aren't supposed to be any good against cavalry anyway.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I would have bought the Bretonian box on the optimistic hope that there will be a scene at the local store, but it's out of stock already? I guess that's money saved for me, but I've been playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance and re-reading Ken Foullet books so I was really ready to paint some early medieval knights and infantry.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jack B Nimble posted:

I would have bought the Bretonian box on the optimistic hope that there will be a scene at the local store, but it's out of stock already? I guess that's money saved for me, but I've been playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance and re-reading Ken Foullet books so I was really ready to paint some early medieval knights and infantry.

Only Temp out of stock. These Boxes are planned to stick around.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

MonsterEnvy posted:

Only Temp out of stock. These Boxes are planned to stick around.

Im really glad to hear that. I'd saw it phrased that way on the site but I thought that may just be a default phrasing, because it's not like the site would have updated the page with "They're all on eBay bro".

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Games-Workshop has trouble keeping things in stock at the moment. Like say how not a single game store in the area has retributor gold paint for some reason.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jack B Nimble posted:

Im really glad to hear that. I'd saw it phrased that way on the site but I thought that may just be a default phrasing, because it's not like the site would have updated the page with "They're all on eBay bro".

They actually do have a phrase for that. No Longer Sold Online.

Also looks like Modern Chaos Warriors do Rank up decently (not mine)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

They actually do have a phrase for that. No Longer Sold Online.

Also looks like Modern Chaos Warriors do Rank up decently (not mine)

the ones I'm worried about are the new Chosen who are 40mm beefcakes in AoS but are on 30x30mm squares in Old World

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The stuff on the back of the box is supposed to be 1:1 right?

Seems like some of the chosen have a lot of empty space on the base and aren't any wider than warriors. You could probably finesse some arrangement, the standard bearer looks like the biggest problem.

You can see how several warriors are hitting the edge of their base, and most chosen aren't that close to theirs.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lostconfused posted:

The stuff on the back of the box is supposed to be 1:1 right?

Seems like some of the chosen have a lot of empty space on the base and aren't any wider than warriors. You could probably finesse some arrangement, the standard bearer looks like the biggest problem.

unfortunately, as I said in the other thread, I would like to keep them on their round bases since I want to keep them as a usable AoS army

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Theridons I think make excellent Minotaur Proxies.

Also man I wish I had gotten that Box set there.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I am deadly curious about this game since I've gone into this hobby long after they killed this setting, I look forward to reading and seeing how it works! I'll definitely give it a try if I ever get the chance to. wonder how it plays compared to AoS.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm intending to just start with historical models to make Empire counts-as to begin with. Wargames Atlantic's plastic Conquistadors box seems like a good start for infantry, but I'm unsure where to look for artillery proxies. I'd rather buy something in a box rather than something for a printer, since I don't have one of those. Any good recommendations for artillery models?

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.
Very excited for TOW. I started a Dark Elves army some time after Total War came out, and I'm looking forward to playing some actual games with them. Hopefully they'll release the PDFs pretty soon, otherwise I'll play them as High Elves for a bit.

AnEdgelord posted:

the ones I'm worried about are the new Chosen who are 40mm beefcakes in AoS but are on 30x30mm squares in Old World
30mm squares have a diagonal of 42~mm tho, so they'll probably fit if you angle them a little.

Also, apperently the Facebook community team posted some stuff about base sizes.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So it sounds like people are already thinking up creative ways to break the rules (a fantasy tradition). Since all models in the front rank are allowed to attack, you use one of the chances for free reform (such as restraining to pursue a falling back enemy) to reform to 20 models wide. Then that unit can charge and get 20 models attacking which massively offsets any loss of rank bonus.

Obviously this has its own risks as a 20 models wide unit is going to be hard to meanuver until it reforms but there are definitely cases where this will be be the most effective choice and when it shows up at whatever GW tournies actually happen I can already see the frowns of the GW employees.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 7, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'd like to see someone try and pull that off on the table top first.

It should at least make for some funny pictures.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah it's like the reverse hero missle conga line from 6th edition and I doubt it will show up in any friendly game since it's so stupid but I have to wonder if it becomes actually viable and a tactic in hyper competitive play.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Kinda torn on what direction to go. I have a fair number of undead models already painted and done (none of them gw) and I really like the Vampire count lore. But I also have a few O&G minis painted (16 orc boys and/or big uns with double hand weapons and 20night goblin archers, plus an unpainted rock lobber) and I like green boys as well! I guess I'll wait and see what they release for the orcs and goblins, and see how the rules are for the VCs. Building a VC army with non gw models would certainly be cheaper.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm intending to just start with historical models to make Empire counts-as to begin with. Wargames Atlantic's plastic Conquistadors box seems like a good start for infantry, but I'm unsure where to look for artillery proxies. I'd rather buy something in a box rather than something for a printer, since I don't have one of those. Any good recommendations for artillery models?

https://www.perry-miniatures.com

They already sculpted a poo poo ton of GW minis and do the most popular Empire proxies in their War of the Roses annd Agincourt ranges. All sorts of different plastic and metal cannons to be had.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Looking at their options, I would say the most appropriate artillery pieces, time wise, would be the following (there are more, but they are Napoleonic and later and I would personally say look too modern for Empire)

From the wars of the roses period
https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product/wr6-breach-loading-field-piece-single-arc-plus-4-crew-firing/

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product/wr7-breach-loading-field-piece-double-arc-plus-4-crew-loading/

And from the English civil war
https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product/ecw13-demi-culverin-9-pounder-gun-plus-crew-firing/

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product/ecw14-minion-4-pounder-gun-plus-crew-manouvering/

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I'll say it.

I love the brettonians more than the empire.

I love armies with complete idiot me who cant read led by pretty barbie princesses.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I found an entire unassembled Empire army in my storage that I had apparently won at some point from various tournaments and totally forgot about. I could become the problem and do an artillery gun line but Empire has never been my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Eggplant Squire posted:

I found an entire unassembled Empire army in my storage that I had apparently won at some point from various tournaments and totally forgot about. I could become the problem and do an artillery gun line but Empire has never been my favorite.

Artillery in this edition appears to have been toned down and the board is slightly smaller so it's not going to be as obnoxious, go wild.