Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Angry Lobster posted:

Artillery in this edition appears to have been toned down and the board is slightly smaller so it's not going to be as obnoxious, go wild.

Awesome, cannons were such a hard counter to any large monster or character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
They were the best part of playing Empire in 4th and 5th edition.
Your troops, characters and wizards might have sucked, but Cannons were great at killing anything.

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?

Al-Saqr posted:

I love armies with complete idiot me who cant read led by pretty WIZARD FROG princesses.

This is why I love Lizardmen, who are apparently just AoS now

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Issaries posted:

They were the best part of playing Empire in 4th and 5th edition.
Your troops, characters and wizards might have sucked, but Cannons were great at killing anything.

It's why Dogs of War cannons were the best rare slot in Vampire Counts

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So annoyed that Vampire Counts are a supported faction since lore wise they're just Empire mostly :colbert:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Rid posted:

This is why I love Lizardmen, who are apparently just AoS now

They're getting the PDF treatment after launch

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

AnEdgelord posted:

They're getting the PDF treatment after launch

Yeah but the PDF only legacy factions aren't allowed in official tournaments which is the dumb part.

Understandable, but dumb.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Count Thrashula posted:

So annoyed that Vampire Counts are a supported faction since lore wise they're just Empire mostly :colbert:

Honestly. They should have ditched the boring fantasy Necrons and done the Vampire Counts instead.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They had to go with the two armies completely culled for the Old World and couldn't really do two similar undead armies at the start.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Also basically all of the old VC units still exist in AOS, except for the unique characters.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Count Thrashula posted:

Yeah but the PDF only legacy factions aren't allowed in official tournaments which is the dumb part.

Nor can they be used as allies.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Count Thrashula posted:

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Nor can they be used as allies.

not to be flippant but who the gently caress is going to playing in official tournaments anytime soon? if you and your local scene are playing PDF factions or a small TO wants to allow them who is going to stop them?

this doesn't have to be 40k/AoS legends stuff, where it might as well not exist, so long as the community embraces using those rules

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 7, 2024

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Nobody local is going to care about what you can or cannot play at Warhammer World tournaments.

I don't think I'm going to have my beastmen done by the 20th but I can be day one Dark Elves and not having to buy an army book is really more of a perk.

FWIW, people were using the 6e Chaos Dwarf list through 8th edition. "Not being supported" doesn't mean much in WHFB.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cease to Hope posted:

Also basically all of the old VC units still exist in AOS, except for the unique characters.

Who are currently all dead in the current time period.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

AnEdgelord posted:

not to be flippant but who the gently caress is going to playing in official tournaments anytime soon? if you and your local scene are playing PDF factions or a small TO wants to allow them who is going to stop them?

this doesn't have to be 40k/AoS legends stuff, where it might as well not exist, so long as the community embraces using those rules

Pretty much this, no one cares if you use the legacy armies, although there's a lot of morons in the community who are going to moan and clutch their pearls if you use 3rd party models though.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

GW has destroyed canon so often that I regard their current fantasy lore as fanon. Listen to it if I want, or play a fixit story.

Like the time on my table where Nurgle went after Khemri and beat them so bad he got the idea to grow corruption on defeated tomb kings' bones to make a new kind of daemon.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Hopefully there's no monkey-cheese rules within legacy factions like there was during the AoS launch.

I.E
Screaming Bell has roll 2d6 table, if you get 13 you win the game.
Combined with A Chaos Daemon with special rule that lets you to choose your dice roll result once per game.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They've definitely learned their lesson.

The monkey cheese was Kirby era bullshit intended to agitate legacy players, which is goddamn bonkers from every angle.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ehh, there's always one just hiding out in a backwater village somewhere.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I'm new to warhammer, I got a cheap box of ghosts from ebay. Is age of sigmar a continuation or reboot of fantasy? Or is it set in the 40k universe? What caused them to reboot everything?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well, the Von Carstein ones, at any rate.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ominous Jazz posted:

I'm new to warhammer, I got a cheap box of ghosts from ebay. Is age of sigmar a continuation or reboot of fantasy? Or is it set in the 40k universe? What caused them to reboot everything?

long story, age of sigmar is continuation of fantasy where a bunch of the characters managed to escape the destruction of fantasy and become the gods and demigods of this new reality

old GW under a guy named Tom Kirby hosed up WHFB so bad that it was being outsold by paints and AoS was an attempt at replacing it, they handled this really badly and pissed off EVERYONE

soon after a CEO who wasn't an actual crazy person hell-bent on killing the company took over and started righting the ship, GW was stuck with AoS though and started putting some real effort into turning it into a real game and eventually it was salvaged and improved to a point that the game has a real following nowadays (myself included), meanwhile they sold the video game rights to Creative Assembly who ended up creating the HUGELY popular Total War Warhammer series which revived interest in old WHFB to the point that GW set about attempting to resurrect it from scratch, that took several years though and resulted in this game ,The Old World

there are a lot more details but thats as brief of a summary as I could muster

paperface
Apr 20, 2005

My name's paperface, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!

AoS is sort-of both a continuation and a reboot of WHFB, and also sort-of its own thing. In-fiction, the whole WHFB world blew up in a huge magical cataclysm and aeons later the raw magic coalesced into different habitable planes (somehow still populated with the species of the WHFB old world). Some of the named characters from the WHFB universe lived on as gods in the new AoS universe.

The received wisdom is that they did this after years of poor business decisions that trapped WHFB in a self-reinforcing death spiral - the barrier of entry to the game was too high due to high model counts, so sales suffered, so they didn't produce new models or rules frequently, so sales suffered, so they didn't produce new models, so... (etc etc). At the time it seemed like an insane decision, especially as the release of the first edition of AoS was very very shaky. A change of management and design philosophy at the company seems to have shored things up considerably over the last ten years or so (and AoS in particular seems in a very strong position these days).

It could be that the success of the Total War games (which came out after they apocalypse'd the setting) showed them that there was still a lot of interest in the WHFB world, or maybe now that they're on a better financial footing they're more inclined to take a risk on it. A lot of GW's old game systems from the 80s and 90s have been successfully rebooted in the last few years, fingers crossed they manage to continue the streak with Old World!

e;fb

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Total War games are also very much rank and flank games too. Three Kingdoms even has champion duel stuff.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is also a release that needed new books and rules, is getting a handful at most of new models on release, and is otherwise just a matter of the company digging out their existing master molds from storage to do a few production runs of existing sculpts. That significantly controls costs. Limiting the number of factions they're promising to "support" for Old World further controls future costs. This is the company being careful with the franchise not to wind up where they were before with the game.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I was actually surprised to learn that they didn't just use the old master moulds. For at least some of they larger models they say they've gone in and created new masters moulds with different assembly cuts to improve the kits. I'll be very interested to see how that bears out.
My suspicion is that it may have been necessitated by damage in storage, or the switch to casting in Forge World (rip) resin needed new moulds anyway, and the lighter medium allows for much larger/more complex components.

I'm not the biggest fan of FW resin for various reasons, but stuff like the Hellcannon or any large metal model would benefit hugely from it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I was listening to a hobby channel who were saying, and I reckon they’re right, tow is going to replace Lord of the Rings at GW.

The licensing is beginning to come to an end, and production and releases have been low but scheduled.

Tow slots in very nicely as a replacement for it from a production and design standpoint. Once they have the launch boxes and initial year of splash releases done, they can keep the game ticking along with occasional character sculpts and scenario books that are 50 pages just like the new army lite books.

Saves on licensing, lets them keep their setting going, allows them to reap the benefits of licensed games or 3rd party content etc.

Seems pretty bang on.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That makes a huge amount of sense at first glance. It also puts them squarely back into that part of the market where other companies were just starting to establish themselves, thus filling a niche and attempting to cut off competitors before they get too big.

They can, if they want, even spin out rules based on it for historicals, as they did in the past. Although that was very much a tolerated side gig for a couple of designers as far as I remember, so maybe not.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I was actually surprised to learn that they didn't just use the old master moulds. For at least some of they larger models they say they've gone in and created new masters moulds with different assembly cuts to improve the kits. I'll be very interested to see how that bears out.
My suspicion is that it may have been necessitated by damage in storage, or the switch to casting in Forge World (rip) resin needed new moulds anyway, and the lighter medium allows for much larger/more complex components.

I'm not the biggest fan of FW resin for various reasons, but stuff like the Hellcannon or any large metal model would benefit hugely from it.

I wonder if the TKs will get a new screaming skull catapult kit, the old metal one is balls to assemble and doesn't really look great either.

I also noticed the warsphinx and necrosphinx are separate kits: mine was a combo kit, that I magnetized so it can be either one. So they must have made some change to the sprues as you suggested.

Oh, same with the sepulchral stalkers/knights actually! Magnetizing those was tricky enough I never finished, I still have the bits in a tub somewhere.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 7, 2024

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I've heard that some big tournaments are already ruling the PDF armies will be legal in preparation for Old World. It's going to be really hard for GW to get Fantasy players to go along with their idea they can dictate that half the armies (and ones that were iconic to the game) are just Gone and no one should talk about them again.

I can't remember the last GW official tournament in the US so I couldn't care less about that.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Leperflesh posted:

I also noticed the warsphinx and necrosphinx are separate kits: mine was a combo kit, that I magnetized so it can be either one. So they must have made some change to the sprues as you suggested.

They aren't different kits, there is just a store entry for each unit entry. Same sprues, same box, the product descriptions say they build the alternate option.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Yeast posted:

I was listening to a hobby channel who were saying, and I reckon they’re right, tow is going to replace Lord of the Rings at GW.

The licensing is beginning to come to an end, and production and releases have been low but scheduled.

Tow slots in very nicely as a replacement for it from a production and design standpoint. Once they have the launch boxes and initial year of splash releases done, they can keep the game ticking along with occasional character sculpts and scenario books that are 50 pages just like the new army lite books.

Saves on licensing, lets them keep their setting going, allows them to reap the benefits of licensed games or 3rd party content etc.

Seems pretty bang on.

Man I really hope that's not true. I have two lotr armies and I really like the game. I think it's GW's best ruleset, and one of the best out there. Would be a huge bummer if it gets dropped

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They aren't different kits, there is just a store entry for each unit entry. Same sprues, same box, the product descriptions say they build the alternate option.

Which really frikin confused me before I started reading descriptions.

Apparently the Ogryn box in 40K builds three different things, but it sure as hell ain't obvious when they all have different entries on the store list.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Username/post combo

Arguably, it is better option between that and just having one entry for the main build and having the alternate build buried in the text and pictures.

The best option would probably be one entry with everything listed in the title but I am sure that can't be done because of reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if the average title for two unit entries exceeds the character length for whatever lovely templates they are using.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Yeast posted:

Seems pretty bang on.

I could see that, but at the same time, LotR is still popular and a decent game to pull new people into the hobby. I'm sure it varies a lot store to store, but my local place still has kids come in every now and then cause they see a diorama in the window of elves fighting a Mumakil. But 40K has been growing in popularity online recently, so I guess it wouldn't completely shock me if they cut LotR loose. I'd feel bad for that Youtube guy that's been building the huge scenery pieces for half a decade.

I do tend to think about GW's production line, given the last few years of difficulties, and how a new game is just spreading them thinner and thinner. At first I thought that could be a partial reason for why they separated out the PDF factions, cause they didn't want to produce both new and old models for things like Vampire Counts or Lizardmen. But then the factions of the Empire and the Orcs & Goblins that are still a big mix of old and new in AoS are in. And the Skaven are out while they're sill all old models, while Beastmen are in, with a similarly ancient model range...

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Its feels weird to say this but of all the old model ranges I think Beastmen have actually held up the best

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Just don't look too closely at the Minotaurs muscles and you'll be right. The Centigors never got a non metal version either. Doombull is great though. And the new Herdstone terrain from AoS.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Haha amazing. Not a big deal but seems very silly.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dishwasherlove posted:

Just don't look too closely at the Minotaurs muscles and you'll be right. The Centigors never got a non metal version either. Doombull is great though. And the new Herdstone terrain from AoS.

Bunch of people put mino heads on this guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm intending to just start with historical models to make Empire counts-as to begin with. Wargames Atlantic's plastic Conquistadors box seems like a good start for infantry, but I'm unsure where to look for artillery proxies. I'd rather buy something in a box rather than something for a printer, since I don't have one of those. Any good recommendations for artillery models?

If you're buying in/from the UK, you might as well just order from Wargames Foundry or it's sister-shop Casting Room Miniatures. It's all pewter, but it's mostly classic sculpts by the Perry Twins.

I picked up a couple of their Great Guns and some Landsknecht cannon crew. With an old GW plastic Mortar, an old metal Volley Gun, a 3d printed Mortar and a old/new plastic Volley/Rocket set, I think I should be good for artillery.

I also got a bunch of Warlord Games plastic Landsknecht sprues when they were doing a sale. With Fireforge plastic halbards, sword arms from Oathmark's human infantry and heater shields from various sundry online stores, I should be set for infantry, crossbows and handgunners.