Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Maybe, but she's looking good for being 80+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I'm really digging it so far. It's just really fun and pulpier than the source material. I'm also really surprised that we already got to the pacifist message and Wenjie's response in episode 2.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wow uhh yeah we’re going full bore into book 2 stuff

Edit: and book 3 stuff

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 21, 2024

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Does nobody answer their phones? So triggered right now.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Collateral posted:

Does nobody answer their phones? So triggered right now.

Nope, that's not a thing anymore these days. If it was urgent they would have sent a private message over tiktok.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I was happy to see CCH Pounder in the last episode. If you need a govt agent to drop an insane govt proposal in your lap, she’s your woman

John Dounce
Jan 17, 2012

A true gamer.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I'm on episode 6 and I love the books and think this is pretty good. I do agree they should have explained the actual three body problem a bit more but hey ho. I also think it was a good idea to get stuck straight into book 2.

I like this set of characters and I can see where it's all going from the book's perspective. Also Wade is loving great.

edit: also the inclusion of kids on Judgment Day was a good decision. I can't remember if they had kids and families from the book but that's what gave it much more impact for me in this, pretty loving horrible. Shows the kind of extremely hard and brutal decisions needed to fight the Trisolarans.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Finished. Felt like kind of an anticlimactic part of the story to end on. Might’ve been better to end where book 1 ended and given everything a little more breathing room.

Overall pretty good

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Steve Yun posted:

Finished. Felt like kind of an anticlimactic part of the story to end on. Might’ve been better to end where book 1 ended and given everything a little more breathing room.

Overall pretty good

I haven't finished it yet, but this has been a minor concern for me. But at least presumably we could hit the ground running in season 2 then :shrug:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
3 Body Problem - You ate dirt?

I'm having a blast so far. They really improved on the weaknesses of the books.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I like the heart this show has. I don't like how it treats science like magic when it's stuff that can be explained.

e: also lol at them learning of the Wow! signal, how do you not know of this already your whole agency is funded to investigate potential alien signals. I can't tell how much of this is being a bookreader but it feels like every character is an audience surrogate.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 21, 2024

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I finished it. Not many people seem to be arsed about it, but I really hope it gets a second season.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
On ep 6 but I really enjoy this show as a book fan, despite being extremely ready to hate it. I don't think I like it because I lowered my expectations, though. The changes made all make sense, even if you miss out on some fun flavor that's in the books. Most of the time they improve the story or flow of story, at least for this format.

Still feels like breakneck speed compared to the books, which tells you how awful it would be if they tried to jam this all into even a 3 hour movie.

Steve Yun posted:

Finished 5

Pacing continues to be a pebble in my shoe watching this show

They don’t take enough time to explain why the 3 body problem is so difficult. Clearly explaining a concept this central to the show helps audiences feel like they have a grasp on what’s going on and not feel like they’re getting buried in Star Trek mumbo jumbo

They don’t clearly explain why they have to use nanowires and why they can’t use conventional tactics against the judgement day

Re: your second thing

They explain the problems with other methods, at least, they just cut away from Ding before he lays out his evil plan. IIRC in the book the talk through the mechanics, spacing, possible faults, etc. after deciding on the nanowire, which is cool, and then the actual event is pretty quick and just like "welp we're pretty sure it worked". In this they save the details beforehand to maximize the shock, show everything, and it's extremely horrifying as it should be.

I think this is the right way to go for the show. Readers get the extra detail and appreciate it more, non-readers get the spectacle and realize how awful it is.

For the first thing, I dunno. I think some people who aren't familiar with the theory might just take the "it's known to be impossible" at face value and run with it just fine. But a little visualization might help.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah maybe I should watch it again. It was 5am so I might not have been very attentive.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

BastardySkull posted:

I finished it. Not many people seem to be arsed about it, but I really hope it gets a second season.

Yea I’m going to be frustrated if the (deserved) animosity people feel towards D&D cause people to not give this show a chance and we don’t get a second season. Because man I really want to see them do the rest of the books.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I just hope to one day see a TV episode end with a dramatic music swell and fade out of someone staring at a wall, and it works

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I really like the changes they made to introduce the book 2 characters right from the beginning. It really makes more sense from a TV show continuity perspective to do it this way, rather than how it was done in the book, particularly if planning for additional seasons.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Never heard of the books, watching this now. Super interesting premise and very well done, but (ep 5 spoilers) the thing with the ship and nano fibers was really dumb, it looked cool but what was the point? To prevent them from destroying evidence? How’d they know the fibers wouldn’t chop it up? Curious if it made more sense in the book or maybe I missed something? It’s like they saw Ghost Ship and wanted to dial it up to 11.

I didn’t mind seeing the High Sparrow get chopped up though

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Never heard of the books, watching this now. Super interesting premise and very well done, but (ep 5 spoilers) the thing with the ship and nano fibers was really dumb, it looked cool but what was the point? To prevent them from destroying evidence? How’d they know the fibers wouldn’t chop it up? Curious if it made more sense in the book or maybe I missed something? It’s like they saw Ghost Ship and wanted to dial it up to 11.

I didn’t mind seeing the High Sparrow get chopped up though

In the book they discuss the optimum spacing of the nanowires and the distance they choose is small enough to kill someone lying down and large enough that even if the storage device is cut in half they could reconstruct the data. It's framed as a necessary risk and they know it has a chance of going wrong

e: and you got the point of it right, they're trying to kill everyone on board in such a short timeframe that no one will be able to destroy the data

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 22, 2024

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Tarnop posted:

In the book they discuss the optimum spacing on the nanowires and the distance they choose is small enough to kill someone lying down and large enough that even if the storage device is cut in half they could reconstruct the data. It's framed as a necessary risk and they know it has a chance of going wrong

Thanks for the explanation, I’m still not buying it but I’m just not gonna let it bother me.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Thanks for the explanation, I’m still not buying it but I’m just not gonna let it bother me.

When I was reading the book I remember thinking "oh come on" but then the way it is described is so cool that I gave it a pass. It definitely felt like a kind of forced way to make the nanowire research relevant. I'm not up to that episode in the show so I'm interested to see how it plays out

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Tarnop posted:

When I was reading the book I remember thinking "oh come on" but then the way it is described is so cool that I gave it a pass. It definitely felt like a kind of forced way to make the nanowire research relevant. I'm not up to that episode in the show so I'm interested to see how it plays out

It definitely looked very cool, so I really enjoyed watching it even if I was saying “wtf?!” the whole time, like eyes glued to the tv so I can soak in every detail.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
What's the point of having a cool opening credits sequence if you're only going to show it once. Lame.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I loving hated the books and I think Benioff and Weiss should go to jail for inflicting Game of Thrones on the world, but I have to admit this show is pretty good so far. They're doing a good job building up the really strange mystery.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
So far, I've seen up to episode 6. The characters are soo much better than the ones in the books. Especially the MC of book 3 was the wettest of blankets and was pretty much only a passive observer.

Honestly, the books really weren't good at characters.
But maybe that's just the cultural difference.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

karma police ending made me laugh AT the show

but often I laugh with it... tequila

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wasn't expecting the (episode 3 casting gag) League Of Gentlemen cameo, wonder who on the writing team is a fan of that mob.

I am counting down the minutes until Burn Gorman or one of the It's Always Sunny crew turn up.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

is the HDD meant to look like the little red book?

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006
Finished this after being moderately hyped about it. Kind of a mixed bag, a lot of good stuff but had some pretty glaring flaws that soured the experience a bit for me. Glad it seems like I might be in the minority with this, not sure if I'm just being overly critical or not. I watched with someone who hadn't read the books, felt like I had to do a bit too much adding context on behalf of the show regarding some things that fell really flat for them, which IMO didn't feel like a great sign for an adaptation. They liked it a lot less than I did so I'm not sure if being familiar with the books might have helped with some of the pacing issues?

The pacing was way off, it felt like we blitzed through all the "mystery" that existed in the books... I expected there to be more a slow burn to give time for character building to happen more naturally alongside the investigation. Instead the show would just hit the brakes here and there to dump 20 minutes of pure relationship drama, and then core plot questions would get resolved in a single dialogue sequence. Critical parts of the plot felt like they got less weight than the dinner sequence. The titular "three-body problem" was almost comical how breathlessly they zoomed past it & the entire "game" arc. Having the very forced scenes with the guy sitting watching them at the bank of monitors felt like a very unnecessary early defusal of any tension about the origin of the game, when we really didn't need further hints about what was going on yet. Ye Wenjie's side of the story was also pretty flat though I did like the adaptations of the scenes they did cover.

Most of the performances & actor choices were solid to great, and some of the new additions that came with them were well done attempts to spice up how dry the original could get. However, almost everything to do with Auggie was insufferable.

I'm not sure if it was the acting, the writing, or both, but she just felt really offputting compared to everyone else on set. During all their group scenes I "bought" everyone else but she just kept bringing either way too much or too little drama to the line delivery... came across really juvenile. This would've been fine if done in a way that felt like it worked for the character, but it didn't. It felt like they added the character halfway through production and then had to plug her in wherever they could. The nanowire plot could have easily been given to any of the other Oxford characters without changing much, and her plot with Saul was pretty pointless. His personal arc could've still happened without it. Felt very notably off, the other person watching with me audibly groaned when she showed back up on screen after the first couple episodes.

Being only 8 episodes, there just wasn't the time to spare for the misplaced focus considering how much they were trying to do. IMO it would have been of great benefit to do a longer season. It would be cool to see a second season, but I don't know if this show has the mass appeal to bring in the numbers Netflix wants. Hopefully I'm wrong, and if so I'd love to see a more focused follow-up!

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I still have the last episode to go but its proved an interesting watch so far. I haven't read the books so I don't have to the reference point of what could have been, but the early mention of the Fermi paradox and Dark Forest hypothesis was a bit of a series spoiler as any one with a passing familiarity could begin piecing it together. I wonder if that's why they almost rushed to that to get the audience thinking that way. I don't know how I feel about the characters (except for Wade who is awesome) as it felt like the series needed for them to have something 'to-do' at times without there ever really being a scene where they sit down and realise they are all involved in some way and discussing it.

I'm still a bit WTF about the Judgement Day scene, this still doesn't feel like the best way of solving their issue and left too much to chance.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

deported to Canada posted:

I still have the last episode to go but its proved an interesting watch so far. I haven't read the books so I don't have to the reference point of what could have been, but the early mention of the Fermi paradox and Dark Forest hypothesis was a bit of a series spoiler as any one with a passing familiarity could begin piecing it together. I wonder if that's why they almost rushed to that to get the audience thinking that way. I don't know how I feel about the characters (except for Wade who is awesome) as it felt like the series needed for them to have something 'to-do' at times without there ever really being a scene where they sit down and realise they are all involved in some way and discussing it.

I'm still a bit WTF about the Judgement Day scene, this still doesn't feel like the best way of solving their issue and left too much to chance.

I feel like the way the Judgement Day scene is portrayed as well (slow moving, lots of running and screaming) makes it look about as affective as a squad of mercs would be, except with the nanowires you can't take any prisoners, kill a lot of children and potentially destroy everything you came for any way.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I feel like the way the Judgement Day scene is portrayed as well (slow moving, lots of running and screaming) makes it look about as affective as a squad of mercs would be, except with the nanowires you can't take any prisoners, kill a lot of children and potentially destroy everything you came for any way.

Yeah and the clean up operation didn't exactly look easy, when what they are looking for is somewhere here *gestures at large pile of steel*

Also wanted to add that a particular scene bothered me when you could see that the wreckage had cut through the ship horizontally but seemed to leave the vertical steel beams intact. Minor but that attention to detail caught my eye.

deported to Canada fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 22, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’m seeing some complaints coming from Chinese social media that if they were gonna westernize the cast, they should have completely westernized it instead of having it partially Chinese. According to them, the effect of keeping Ye Wenjie and the Angry Commies is putting China in a bad light and making the westerners the heroes who have to fix the problems the Chinese caused

I’m seeing plenty of bad takes on twitter saying “See? Chinese bad!” despite the source author being Chinese, so I’m inclined to think the Chinese netizens maybe have a point

If a western adaptation were to change Ye Wenjie to another setting, what would work?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Sure, you could easily switch China to Soviet Union without affecting the story much.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
This is the first series since Stranger Things season 1 that I just stumbled upon and ended up staying up late into the night to binge finish. Absolutely addicting show.

Side note: I remember reading about the dark forest theory concerning the topic of the show years ago and had no idea that this was the source material.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Steve Yun posted:

If a western adaptation were to change Ye Wenjie to another setting, what would work?

The easier solution would of been not to western wash the protagonist side of the story so much.

Changing the inciting nation to the Soviet Union would make logistical sense, but it's still as racial incentive to remove everything Chinese from the story as it is to only include Chinese villains.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

deported to Canada posted:

Yeah and the clean up operation didn't exactly look easy, when what they are looking for is somewhere here *gestures at large pile of steel*

Also wanted to add that a particular scene bothered me when you could see that the wreckage had cut through the ship horizontally but seemed to leave the vertical steel beams intact. Minor but that attention to detail caught my eye.

They’re also really lucky the ship decided to turn and run aground instead of sinking into the water like it probably should have.

Also ships aren’t on a flat solid road like a car, they are continually moving in three dimensions as they bob in the water, so having all the cuts be perfectly straight doesn’t really make sense either. I guess they just kind of forgot about higher dimensions, ironically.

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I’m seeing some complaints coming from Chinese social media that if they were gonna westernize the cast, they should have completely westernized it instead of having it partially Chinese. According to them, the effect of keeping Ye Wenjie and the Angry Commies is putting China in a bad light and making the westerners the heroes who have to fix the problems the Chinese caused

I’m seeing plenty of bad takes on twitter saying “See? Chinese bad!” despite the source author being Chinese, so I’m inclined to think the Chinese netizens maybe have a point
it definitely feels kinda questionable having the only Chinese national they kept in this adaption of a Chinese novel be an antagonist, the only Chinese locations they use be when & where awful politically-charged tragedy happened, and exclusively have the "hero" viewpoints be a pretty nationally homogenous group of Westerners

you'd think with aliens invading somebody over there would at least have something to do

I have also unfortunately also seen the worst people online using the Cultural Revolution segment of the show show as "Evil, Inscrutable Chinese" fuel already which is fun

realistically the easier solution than trying to find an equal historical tragedy touchstone (which would more likely just invite some other new set of problems) would have just to have had a more international cast of characters in general and include at least one modern day Chinese person who isn't an antagonist, instead of having literally all the good guy scientists who do anything of note be best friends from school who hang out at their sitcom cabin together, but I guess that would've been harder to establish character drama for and/or schedule and/or require more sets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I think it may be a little unfair to simplify this as "Chinese bad". My take is that it was a person who did this as they were unhappy with the present state of society/mankind, who just happened to be Chinese. I don't think this can be misconstrued as an attack on the Chinese people or that they as a people were the cause. Although it does make reference to her being dissatisfied with the cultural revolution which may be interpreted as a criticism of modern China.

Soviet Union could work I guess though, or you could just use the original wow signal. You would still need a disgruntled genius as the protagonist for it to make sense though.