Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Lampsacus posted:

Whenever I do my yearly rewatch of s1, I always finish it with a rewatch of s2. Its like a chaser. I have never rewatched s3 since it aired. it just feels so 'pointless? because the solution to the main mystery at the end wasn't some deeper conspiracy or borderline cosmic horror and that makes it feel strangely... dull? boring? i'm not sure how to phrase it. but its been years since i've seen it so hey -, maybe it's time!

I think what you're searching for here is that S3 was just more narrow in scope. The previous two seasons (and some of the setup in S3) give us the idea that maybe there's something much larger behind the Purcell case, but the reality is — while still pretty weird and conspiratorial — much more conventional.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Exactly how i feel,there was no resolution to anything in season 3.It was just miserable.

There absolutely is a resolution, and we even get a hint that something akin to justice (in the legal sense) might still be done thanks to Wayne's son. We just don't get a big, guns-blazing finish where The Bad Guys have been properly outed and disposed of. Instead, we get one old man who's full of regret, a confrontation with Big Rich Evil Man with Overwhelming Influence who turns out to be just a sad sack of poo poo who doesn't know anything, and a final meeting with Julie Purcell where we get to see her living a quiet, happy life.

I felt like all of it did a fantastic job at turning things on their head. There's so much about the season that runs counter to what you'd expect, and (in my opinion) it's far more deserving of the 'subversive secret masterstroke' discussion than S2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I also feel like a cop in a race with dementia to solve an old case is such a top tier premise.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The Twist should have been that he solves the case semiannually. The Twist on the Twist should have been that every previous solve, including the original, was wrong.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The twist is he has a later stage of dementia, somehow buys some random plane ticket, ends up in Ennis and solves the drat thing within 5 minutes.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Cranappleberry posted:

colin farrell is a silly boy. also 7 psychopaths is good

One thing I believe is that Farrell was cursed with good looks because it took him away from his true calling: Being a really funny character actor

As he gets older, the more he can grow into that

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sometimes your worst self, is your best self.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Colin feral looks so cool in season 2. He just looks like dogshit and still pulls it off.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The Twist should have been that he solves the case semiannually. The Twist on the Twist should have been that every previous solve, including the original, was wrong.

Don’t believe his lies

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Mike N Eich posted:

One thing I believe is that Farrell was cursed with good looks because it took him away from his true calling: Being a really funny character actor

As he gets older, the more he can grow into that

if you take away that sexy irishman you must replace him with one (1) equally sexy irishman or else

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Cranappleberry posted:

if you take away that sexy irishman you must replace him with one (1) equally sexy irishman or else

Best I can do is two Cillian Murphys, and corporate's gonna go ballistic.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Started a s2 rewatch and there is absolutely no doubt that it slaps. It's all so extremely over the top though. Vslcoro just wailing on rear end pen's dad with some brass knuckles, Ani stashing something like 10 knives all over her body or Woodrow's maximally oblivious girlfriend. And everything and everyone is just so miserable and angry. But it all still kinda works because there is also some weird levity to all of it due to the jokes and it refusing to take itself seriously.

Also, I can totally see why it was received so badly. It doesn't feel like s1 at all. S1 was laser focused on the central murder mystery from the very first scene. S2 doesn't even have a central mystery till the very last one. The ensemble cast is a much bigger focus and the tone is very different and less serious.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Isn't this basically Memento?

Escape Goat posted:

Don’t believe his lies
Edit: I replied before seeing this post.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

GABA ghoul posted:

Started a s2 rewatch and there is absolutely no doubt that it slaps. It's all so extremely over the top though. Vslcoro just wailing on rear end pen's dad with some brass knuckles, Ani stashing something like 10 knives all over her body or Woodrow's maximally oblivious girlfriend. And everything and everyone is just so miserable and angry. But it all still kinda works because there is also some weird levity to all of it due to the jokes and it refusing to take itself seriously.

I like how individually, at the start they weren't too bad...by the end they were even more hosed up disasters.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Finally got around to starting and finishing this. It wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be based on the premise.

The shows biggest problem and cardinal sin was that it absolutely did not live up to the promises it made in the first and second episode in terms of how cool the mystery was. I thought the pre-credits scene when the cops are removing the bodies from the ice and one of them wakes up and just starts screaming after WILSON!!! snaps an arm off was excellent. That was the high point of the entire show though.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I would like to know how Danvers fantasy team faired.

She clearly made a playoff run based on the time of year she was getting notifications but did she win it all?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Good question. I wonder what her team name was as well.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Good question. I wonder what her team name was as well.

Danver Broncos

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
On a lark we're going back through Fortitude and it's amazing how much better it looks with way less money behind it (though it wasn't cheap itself).

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

The_Rob posted:

Danver Broncos

she's a steelers fan

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Season 4 of True Detective would have been passable had it rather been a 90 minute Netflix movie.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
But then we wouldn’t have gotten the Russian bride storyline or the questionably rape scene probably

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://x.com/MrLulHead/status/1764392625988362481

Season 5 is finally back on track.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

For those who haven't seen it, here is the full sermon from s1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoIvozv-md4
the bit part actors absolutely do so well in their roles.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Season 4 of True Detective would have been passable had it rather been a 90 minute Netflix movie.

I bet you could get away with having the opening corpseburg, have Danvers and Navarro go around questioning people, get resistance, go back to the lab at night to look it out, have all the supernatural stuff happen to establish their troubled pasts, have them find security footage of the native women driving the scientists out, have some vague flash to an arctic spirit taking all of them, and then Danvers and Navarro having to rationalize that to the review board. 90 minutes to 120 minutes. Done.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cool...but need to have Danver's shed in that as well.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Lampsacus posted:

For those who haven't seen it, here is the full sermon from s1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoIvozv-md4
the bit part actors absolutely do so well in their roles.

Having just finished a rewatch of season 1, this scene really takes on more meaning when compared to Rust's near death revelation.

As Rust nears the end, he perceives a vast darkness. The void isn't a void though, it is warm and contains the loving essences of his daughter and father. Here, the preacher describes the end as a shower of light that will warm us in eternal comfort.

Rust and the preacher also address the cyclical nature of our existence. For rust, it's a flat circle where all the pain and suffering happens again forever. The preacher also says that at the end we will discover the beginning, and the discovery will be joyous.

Christianity is not portrayed in a very positive light in the show, but the writing as a way of making its best points clear to the viewer.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
well hbo was different in those days. There was no plus after the letters.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did hbo ever get into aftershows like amc and netflix did? I’d love one for season one of True Detective, hosted by John Oliver and with a rotating group of actors from the show who would agree to be on, so like Reggie Ledoux, Alexandra Daddario, and the two actors who play Mary’s daughters.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

I AM GRANDO posted:

Did hbo ever get into aftershows like amc and netflix did? I’d love one for season one of True Detective, hosted by John Oliver and with a rotating group of actors from the show who would agree to be on, so like Reggie Ledoux, Alexandra Daddario, and the two actors who play Mary’s daughters.

Their version of it tends to be podcasts. TLOU and Chernobyl each had one, and those were pretty good listens.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Toaster Beef posted:

Their version of it tends to be podcasts. TLOU and Chernobyl each had one, and those were pretty good listens.

Station Eleven’s was really good, too.

On the other hand I listened to the first two for Night Country and really don’t think they added a lot.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Season 3's final scene of a young Wayne disappearing into the jungle of his mind was A+++++

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They had post show interviews with the creators and actors along with behind the scenes footage from the episode but I don’t think they did that with this season.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Wasn't there a whole range of official game of thrones meta shows?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
game of what

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Doltos posted:

I bet you could get away with having the opening corpseburg, have Danvers and Navarro go around questioning people, get resistance, go back to the lab at night to look it out, have all the supernatural stuff happen to establish their troubled pasts, have them find security footage of the native women driving the scientists out, have some vague flash to an arctic spirit taking all of them, and then Danvers and Navarro having to rationalize that to the review board. 90 minutes to 120 minutes. Done.

Exactly. Without all the fluff and a few go-nowhere side stories.....this could have made for a really good two hour film.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Finally finished the s2 rewatch and it's really, really good. I would put it on almost the same level as s1 now. Don't be a tough guy, don't be a fool, rewatch it!

I tried looking online why I(and most other people) had such a mixed impression of it back then and most threads on Reddit have the same pattern where almost all the >5 years old posts are hating on it for pedantic reasons and every newer post made after the initial release is loving and praising it. Must have been a planet wide gas leak or something around the release date.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I honestly think because season 1 fans expected a continuation of s1 to the letter. But, like, that's not anthologies are. And the sophomore text for any given anthology almost always tries to subvert the first. My favourite example is the sequel to Blair Witch (1999). It's still seen as a terrible film because of how much it wasn't blair witch 1. and maybe it is a terrible film but i love it. i'm sure anybody reading this post knows a handful of sequels that they love which was bounced off hard by the general population or the fans or whatever.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

GABA ghoul posted:

Finally finished the s2 rewatch and it's really, really good. I would put it on almost the same level as s1 now. Don't be a tough guy, don't be a fool, rewatch it!

I tried looking online why I(and most other people) had such a mixed impression of it back then and most threads on Reddit have the same pattern where almost all the >5 years old posts are hating on it for pedantic reasons and every newer post made after the initial release is loving and praising it. Must have been a planet wide gas leak or something around the release date.

Said it before, it threw so much at you, and you didn't have the ability to binge watch to remember 40 characters that are running around week after week. That and S1 had the detectives at a crime scene within the first few minutes. S2 took until the end of the episode after some ham-fisted writing for them to get there. And of course, VV's dialogue.

But yeah, it's great. Rewatch with subtitles on. It is somewhat funny on things I would have missed without them.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Season 4 brought us to love Season 2 and I think it deserves some credit for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

it's not like S1. It's great, just different.