Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
also there should have been a mr. burnsesque plot to turn every light source in nearby cities into gas-powered lamps. the light's winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Lampsacus posted:

I honestly think because season 1 fans expected a continuation of s1 to the letter. But, like, that's not anthologies are. And the sophomore text for any given anthology almost always tries to subvert the first. My favourite example is the sequel to Blair Witch (1999). It's still seen as a terrible film because of how much it wasn't blair witch 1. and maybe it is a terrible film but i love it. i'm sure anybody reading this post knows a handful of sequels that they love which was bounced off hard by the general population or the fans or whatever.

I don't agree or think that's fair at all. The parts that make it not an anthology and reference season 1 were the worst received aspects of Season 4. Season 1 fans didn't expect a continuation, hell they didn't expect something at good as season 1, they just were hoping for something that wasn't crap.

The world's most irrational scientists becoming cultishly obsessed with this nonsense, vague as hell "life changing microbe" and wanting to pollute an entire area to get at it because that's how science works, and then Julius Caesaring a lady with the worlds most recognizable murder weapon is a loving garbage plot. Everything in the show was written around the big set-piece of a bunch of indigenous ladies getting to look badass and committing a mass murder, which we all agree is cool and good and just.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Exactly. Without all the fluff and a few go-nowhere side stories.....this could have made for a really good two hour film.

The problem is that Wind River has already been made.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry nobody's going to convince me that Season 2 is great, actually.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Sorry nobody's going to convince me that Season 2 is great, actually.

GABA ghoul posted:

Don't be a tough guy, don't be a fool, rewatch it!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

Everything in the show was written around the big set-piece of a bunch of indigenous ladies getting to look badass and committing a mass murder, which we all agree is cool and good and just.

Yeah, the more I've sat with it, the more I believe this to be the case. And it's not like that's an inherently bad approach, it just becomes bad when it's this incredibly obvious. Good writers can start with the end in mind and work backwards to create a story that flows organically to that conclusion. This was definitely not that. It reeked of a writer's room with less-than-talented people throwing out random poo poo and whatever passed a threshold of "ooh wow cool" got included, even when those things were the opposite of cool (the twist and shout on repeat thing, the polar bear, the electric light effect, the S1 throwbacks, etc etc)

I enjoyed the show until the finale, when not much came together and the "reveal" ended up being pretty shallow in terms of how natural it felt within the story.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's funny because to me it felt like the opposite. They had all this other stuff they wanted to do but didn't thread it together well, so we wind up spending a few episodes just kind of loving around with meh personal stories until they realize that they need to get back to the mystery.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah, the more I've sat with it, the more I believe this to be the case. And it's not like that's an inherently bad approach, it just becomes bad when it's this incredibly obvious. Good writers can start with the end in mind and work backwards to create a story that flows organically to that conclusion. This was definitely not that. It reeked of a writer's room with less-than-talented people throwing out random poo poo and whatever passed a threshold of "ooh wow cool" got included, even when those things were the opposite of cool (the twist and shout on repeat thing, the polar bear, the electric light effect, the S1 throwbacks, etc etc)

I enjoyed the show until the finale, when not much came together and the "reveal" ended up being pretty shallow in terms of how natural it felt within the story.

Yeah i kinda felt like they had this rule of cool scene they wanted to do and no real way to get there.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't agree or think that's fair at all. The parts that make it not an anthology and reference season 1 were the worst received aspects of Season 4. Season 1 fans didn't expect a continuation, hell they didn't expect something at good as season 1, they just were hoping for something that wasn't crap.

The world's most irrational scientists becoming cultishly obsessed with this nonsense, vague as hell "life changing microbe" and wanting to pollute an entire area to get at it because that's how science works, and then Julius Caesaring a lady with the worlds most recognizable murder weapon is a loving garbage plot. Everything in the show was written around the big set-piece of a bunch of indigenous ladies getting to look badass and committing a mass murder, which we all agree is cool and good and just.
I was talking about s1->s2 not s1-s4. i only watched two eps of s4 tbh so i can't speak on it! but it sounds like it was bad!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Lampsacus posted:

I was talking about s1->s2 not s1-s4. i only watched two eps of s4 tbh so i can't speak on it! but it sounds like it was bad!

Oh, yeah that makes a ton more sense. I never watched 2 or 3 so I don't have anything to say about either. I only watched 4 because I thought it would be a really cool setting for a True Detective.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's funny because to me it felt like the opposite. They had all this other stuff they wanted to do but didn't thread it together well, so we wind up spending a few episodes just kind of loving around with meh personal stories until they realize that they need to get back to the mystery.

I believe the show creator has confirmed that the pitch was pretty much "native women, who are invisible when they are the victims of violence, use that invisibility to take their revenge."
Then HBO pushed for the True Detective branding and that is when the rest of the story was filled in.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Poor man's Velcoro incoming:

https://twitter.com/TVPlusUpdates/status/1765030786858725757?t=V_QKRVLRfWDS1c4WdX8PRw&s=19

This *might* get me to try AppleTV.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cithen posted:

This *might* get me to try AppleTV.

Apple has a lot of good stuff on it. Not as much overall stuff as other services but the hit rate is probably higher than average.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
The wife and I are finishing up S4 tonight. She liked S1, so I figured going straight to this one would be wise.

However, I can't loving STAND them shoe-horning S1 stuff into it. Like, doing it once or twice in the first episode is appropriately wink-wink, nudge-nudge, but anything further than that is just masturbation on the creators' parts.

Otherwise, it hasn't been a bad run. I just hope I don't hate the ending.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Technowrite posted:

The wife and I are finishing up S4 tonight. She liked S1, so I figured going straight to this one would be wise.

However, I can't loving STAND them shoe-horning S1 stuff into it. Like, doing it once or twice in the first episode is appropriately wink-wink, nudge-nudge, but anything further than that is just masturbation on the creators' parts.

Lol just you wait

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Technowrite posted:

hehe get ready

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
:sickos:

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
i didnt watch it but honhonhon or w.e

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Cranappleberry posted:

i didnt watch it but honhonhon or w.e

:dafuq:

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
WELP

Maybe the Night Country was the friends we made along the way.

I really, really hate endings like this. All of it made sense until the last scene.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
This was a bad season, maybe the worst.

Jodie Foster arguing with Christopher Eccelston about the rule book and who was in charge of the investigation. Like... c'mon... "Prestige TV" indeed.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Yeah, I had high hopes for this season but I think I can finally just write off the series.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Season 5 will be fun simply for the poster who hates season 1 so they pretend season 4 is better and than disappear the moment it’s over.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
True detective australia

True detective south africa

True detective vatican

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I’ll take my million dollars,thank you.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

True detective vatican

Basically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAOm3b1Qi4M

(was really hoping that scene had a good lingering noirish shot to just paste in)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Technowrite posted:

WELP

Maybe the Night Country was the friends we made along the way.

I really, really hate endings like this. All of it made sense until the last scene.

Time to fire up S2.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Kosmo Gallion posted:

This was a bad season, maybe the worst.

Jodie Foster arguing with Christopher Eccelston about the rule book and who was in charge of the investigation. Like... c'mon... "Prestige TV" indeed.

Sure I don't have the training, resources, or employees to effectively investigate this case, but I want it BECAUSE I'M A STRONG WOMAN

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I was watching Revenant and I figured out the spiral.

It's a magic glyph that summons a Revenant. Just like Annie K got raised.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So why did Fiona Shaw know how to dismember people to make them disappear?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Now you know what really happened to Harry Potter's mom.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

It was strange to explicitly go, "lol, no I have a boring backstory" and then do that. Also was she part of the vigilante mob? I watched closely at the time and I didn't see her, but it would fit well if she was. I assumed she was because why else would you have her conspicuously cleaning a hunting rifle in the same episode...

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
lol I just found out her ghost boyfriend was Rust's dad.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I AM GRANDO posted:

Years of experience taking care of imperials.
She turned her whole life around once she learned her nephew was magic

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

It's a non-elective course for the mysterious wise old hermit lady degree. They can all do that

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

They should have given Fiona Shaw some object to play off, like the obvious Log Lady riff that she was.

A coconut with googly eyes that talks like a muppet, perhaps.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
whispering to thread: just blink

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I’ve only seen Season 1 (and one episode of 4 lol) because I saw the bad reviews when 2 came out and wrote it off. Started watching it finally after listening to the recent trueanon episode reviewing the show as a whole. It’s pretty good, and takes on new meaning post-Epstein. The dialogue is clunky and there are some confounding editing decisions here and there. Otherwise I don’t get the hate.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Season 2's cardinal sin wasn't that it failed. It was that it tried to do something different. Whatever HBO is now will never make that mistake again and every subsequent season since has and will be "season 1 with x twist"

Hope you like two leads with complementary flaws battling their inner demons while existing near a spooky case that implies, but never conclusively proves, the existence of both the supernatural and massive child trafficking organizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Product will contain 1 (one) set piece action episode.*

*Offer not valid if labor gets uppity during production cycle.