Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Those five minute on-repeat videos they show at WWII museums as you walk through the exhibits have better production quality than this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
To be fair band of brothers isn't perfect, the strength of the episode depends on the strength of the subject. Famously it goes from Dick Winters the super Charismatic Leader to Blithe the guy who dies but didn't actually die in real life which makes the third episode somewhat of a buzz kill.

None of the masters of the air episodes have felt like they are about anything just a collection of anecdotes from the war. Hopefully it ties together.

Still enjoying it though, but that's just my thoughts.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Rewatching The Pacific and Band of Brothers in between episodes of this. Noticed a few things:

The crop of actors in this show seem impossibly young compared to the people who played e.g. Leckie and Guarnere (although Sledge will always be the kid from Jurassic Park). The men doing bombing runs into Germany weren't far removed from kids, but neither were the 17-year-olds jumping into Normady or fighting in Tarawa, so it's still strangely noticeable.

BoB has some hard scenes but The Pacific is brutal and gets into the characters in an unpleasant but hugely important way. You could contrast the non-combat eps of BoB with Leckie's episodes away from combat (on libo in Australia and then on medical leave after his issues urinating himself); the first has a wholesome sense of brotherhood, while the second is gently caress-you honest.

It was completely accidental, but BoB aired right before and the first couple of months after 9/11, and I think the sense of patriotism and nationalism carried over into the public sentiment for the show. The Pacific came out in 2010 after a decade of war and uncomfortable truths about American brutality and I don't think it's an accident the series reflected that. I'm wondering what (if anything) Masters of the Air will inherit from the present.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I feel like Tom Hanks hero worship of servicemen has only increased over the years despite the rough violence of The Pacific.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I think one thing (out of many) that bugged me in the first two episodes is that they seem to be going out of their way to make the Germans "faceless."

The enemy fighters never have enough definition. The Ju 88s barely get seen and I'm sure if you slowed things down to a single frame at a time the dedicated fighters would still be unidentifiable blurs.

Once again, this doesn't look like it cost a quarter of a billion dollars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think one thing (out of many) that bugged me in the first two episodes is that they seem to be going out of their way to make the Germans "faceless."

The enemy fighters never have enough definition. The Ju 88s barely get seen and I'm sure if you slowed things down to a single frame at a time the dedicated fighters would still be unidentifiable blurs.

The other two shows didn't feature much of the enemy either.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Part of that pricepoint would have been affected by significant delays in production due to covid, particularly when two of your leads turn out to be rising movie stars with the leverage to negotiate better deals for themselves when they had their filming time extended.

There'd also have been problems around Cary Fukunaga, who at some point was going to direct the entire season IIRC.

I also noticed that they got John Shiban in to work on some of the scripts. He's a script doctor, the kind of person you call in when your production is struggling to scrape its scripts together, which also suggests mismanagement or delays due to substandard work.

I mean, look at this credit for Part 8:

quote:

Teleplay by : John Orloff & Joel Anderson Thompson and Dee Rees
Story by : John Orloff & Joel Anderson Thompson & Morwenna Banks and John Orloff & Joel Anderson Thompson

All of that would have eaten into the budget significantly.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
had the chance to watch the second episode in HD on a regular television and :wtc: even the mess hall scenes look like they're composited together. covid surely can't have prevented them from sitting in a hut in a field outside of norwich.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm impressed you guys can see anything at all with shots like this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cojawfee posted:

The other two shows didn't feature much of the enemy either.

Hey, this guy was all over an episode!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Hey, this guy was all over an episode!

gosh BoB is so good. The problem is I've seen it so many times. No, actually that isn't a problem. Time for a rewatch rewatch! Actually the problem is I, like no doubt many of you, can just say the lines before they are said haha

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm watching SAS Rogue Heroes alongside Masters of the Air. Content and tone notwithstanding it is a stark difference between the location shooting in Morocco and the desert compared to the CGI compositing in Masters of the Air. I don't know what the budget for a 6 episode BBC miniseries is compared to an Apple TV Original but they sure as hell knew how to spend it because Rogue Heroes looks incredible.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
In terms of WW2 TV shows, if anyone is trying to scratch that itch, I'd check out World on Fire. A tad too melodramatic at times, and certainly not the best visual effects, but it does tell a decent story.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm watching SAS Rogue Heroes

This is a great watch.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Eason the Fifth posted:

Rewatching The Pacific and Band of Brothers in between episodes of this. Noticed a few things:

The crop of actors in this show seem impossibly young compared to the people who played e.g. Leckie and Guarnere (although Sledge will always be the kid from Jurassic Park). The men doing bombing runs into Germany weren't far removed from kids, but neither were the 17-year-olds jumping into Normady or fighting in Tarawa, so it's still strangely noticeable.

BoB has some hard scenes but The Pacific is brutal and gets into the characters in an unpleasant but hugely important way. You could contrast the non-combat eps of BoB with Leckie's episodes away from combat (on libo in Australia and then on medical leave after his issues urinating himself); the first has a wholesome sense of brotherhood, while the second is gently caress-you honest.

It was completely accidental, but BoB aired right before and the first couple of months after 9/11, and I think the sense of patriotism and nationalism carried over into the public sentiment for the show. The Pacific came out in 2010 after a decade of war and uncomfortable truths about American brutality and I don't think it's an accident the series reflected that. I'm wondering what (if anything) Masters of the Air will inherit from the present.

The actors in this show actually match much better some of their counterparts in reality. In BoB, they tended to be bit too old. The real war had 23 year old majors flying airplanes, which in a TV show would always feel a bit too young.

Batcat
May 2, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Nah if they were going for that it'd just be the Luftwaffe aircraft looking like they'd been lifted from a late 90's flight sim, the whole thing looks horrendous and the physics of it all is off as well. I just re-watched some of the flying sequences from the Catch-22 mini series to compare and it's so much better than this it's ridiculous, there's no substitute for filming the real thing in the air and supplementing that with CGI and they absolutely could have done that with $250 million. I wouldn't really care if everything else about the show made up for it but it's all just a bit... poo poo. Some poor writing and acting, almost non-existent characterisation and the voiceovers feel like they've been tacked on at the last minute to desperately create some sort of narrative because essentially there isn't one. I think they definitely would have been better going with the fictionalised story of one bomber crew inspired by real events route instead or maybe even just focusing on a single individual's experiences for each episode, the fundamental problem is that the subject is too broad to try and repeat what Band of Brothers and The Pacific did so what they're doing is never going to work. Someone also needs to tell Hanks and Spielberg the anti-British stuff is just getting pathetic at this point.

Oh and those Ju 88s are actually Bf 110s and I don't think that's a deliberate mistake either, the "190s" in episode one are all Bf 109s (the show is full of this, in that crosswind landing Cleven throttles up the engines on the wrong side of the plane, though since the whole point of that was to show what a hot-poo poo pilot he is maybe he was making it harder for himself on purpose idk).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wonder if it really is down to them wasting a bunch of budget renting the volume. I think people are too busy huffing their own farts about what a technological marvel it is to realize that it still doesn't look real and actively looks bad sometimes. Yeah it's really cool that the background is real time rendered from the perspective of the real camera, but it still looks like a sound stage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MrMojok posted:

This is a great watch.

Just finished the series this evening. Very entertaining and of course when a German tank shows up in Africa it's an M60. Some things never change.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'll third the SAS suggestion. I first learned of it from a clip on tiktok about the motor pool being french and giving them enough fuel for a 500km trip that was 500 miles. The whole show is amazing and it's crazy that it really was just created from some guy deciding he wanted to do it.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

Just finished the series this evening. Very entertaining and of course when a German tank shows up in Africa it's an M60. Some things never change.

WW2 Movies using the wrong tanks dressed up as the right tanks is dying art. A bridge Too Far using Landrovers and Volkswagens with plastic shells on them should be the gold standard until the end of time.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm already enjoying this series more than The Pacific.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Stegosnaurlax posted:

WW2 Movies using the wrong tanks dressed up as the right tanks is dying art. A bridge Too Far using Landrovers and Volkswagens with plastic shells on them should be the gold standard until the end of time.

It'll always be the T(iger)-34s from Kelly's Heroes for me, love it whenever those show up.

But really, I was happy to see a Patton in Rogue Heroes because it reminded me of Patton where all the tanks are played by Pattons regardless of whose Patton they're Patton-ing.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

It'll always be the T(iger)-34s from Kelly's Heroes for me, love it whenever those show up.

But really, I was happy to see a Patton in Rogue Heroes because it reminded me of Patton where all the tanks are played by Pattons regardless of whose Patton they're Patton-ing.

So many German T-34s in some of the Yugoslav movie footage in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWWLM3xOi9Q

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

joepinetree posted:

In terms of WW2 TV shows, if anyone is trying to scratch that itch, I'd check out World on Fire. A tad too melodramatic at times, and certainly not the best visual effects, but it does tell a decent story.
Oh thank you for this ^^ haven't heard of it!
I'd chip in: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_War

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
After watching the second episode I feel that it’s pretty embarrassing how the credits sequence tries to recapture the magic of Band of Brothers with random slow motion and sepia toned images. I never watched the Pacific, but did it do the Band of Brothers/Saving Private Ryan desaturated grainy look? It just worked so well for the story and helped sell some of the cheapness of the sets or effects in BoB due to it being TV. This show is just so sharp and colorful and it makes it look phony a lot of the time.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
It did, but it was themed around drawing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ahVL4u6rmI

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

It did, but it was themed around drawing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ahVL4u6rmI

Sorry, I meant the look of the whole show. I was just also noting that the intro for Masters of the Air mimics the look of BoB but not the rest of the show.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Mullitt posted:

Sorry, I meant the look of the whole show. I was just also noting that the intro for Masters of the Air mimics the look of BoB but not the rest of the show.

Oh I gotcha, sorry I misread. The Pacific did do the washed-out look too, and sometimes it didn't always work. Not giving MotA a pass since it's 14 years later and much more money, but the Pacific had some particularly bad-looking CGI shots:

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

Oh I gotcha, sorry I misread. The Pacific did do the washed-out look too, and sometimes it didn't always work. Not giving MotA a pass since it's 14 years later and much more money, but the Pacific had some particularly bad-looking CGI shots:

Yeah, even movies sometimes have bad compositing. I'm usually pretty forgiving of those sorts of things on TV - the Eagles Nest in Band of Brothers had some terrible CGI but it was the background of one scene so who cares. Masters of the Air both has a very clean and bright look to the visuals which makes everything super noticeable and has extensive storytelling through CGI due to it being about planes. The crash in Scotland looked like a cartoon - I felt it had no tension when it should have been an exciting, scary scene.
I feel like I'm just seeing too much in every scene, everything is too defined and sharp. It makes the costumes look weird too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder if any of the Spanish Buchons will make an appearance as 109s intercepting the bombers. It would be nice.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Eason the Fifth posted:

Yeah there are a few terrible shots in The Pacific, my main gripe with the effects shots in MotA is that there are some great environment shots but any shots with planes on the ground is glaringly bad....in a show about planes.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Batcat posted:

in that crosswind landing Cleven throttles up the engines on the wrong side of the plane, though since the whole point of that was to show what a hot-poo poo pilot he is maybe he was making it harder for himself on purpose idk).

He puts rudder left, right wing low, and then adds more thrust on left side to help counter the leftward movement on ground track.

That appears to be a physics workable solution to it if I remember the steps correct.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Has anyone read the source material book this is based on? The show just feels so disjointed and quick.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

I wonder if any of the Spanish Buchons will make an appearance as 109s intercepting the bombers. It would be nice.

Can't be many of those suckers flying around, there was only 6 in 2016

George H.W. oval office posted:

Has anyone read the source material book this is based on? The show just feels so disjointed and quick.
I have both the ebook and the audiobook and i can't get either in the rotation, something better always wins out. The audiobook is 25 hours, which i imagine is a lot of technical stuff and history dumps

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 1, 2024

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
BBC make Len Deighton's Bomber challenge.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

jisforjosh posted:

Yeah there are a few terrible shots in The Pacific, my main gripe with the effects shots in MotA is that there are some great environment shots but any shots with planes on the ground is glaringly bad....in a show about planes.

Yeah, those ground shots in particular really stand out for some reason, which is bizarre because there's endless amounts of reference footage of grounded B-17s from airshows. The Scotland crash landing in particular looked atrocious.

It's funny because when BoB came out I fantasized about how cool it would be to get a similar show that dealt with the air war but I figured it wouldn't be viable any time soon given how expensive CGI was and that Hanks and Spielberg wouldn't attempt it without rock solid FX. A quarter of a century later and it's still not viable, apparently!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A quarter century and the systematic destruction of the VFX industry does that.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

One would think that all the postponement due to covid would have given the fx studios time to polish the cgi.

That said, I can't say the cgi is bothering me much, or the shows quality in general.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Remember when Peter Jackson was going to get Weta and the Wanaka warbird restoration guys to build a full size Lancaster for a Dambusters movie? And it got kiboshed because the commander called his dog the N word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Laughing Zealot posted:

One would think that all the postponement due to covid would have given the fx studios time to polish the cgi..

I dunno if this is how it works. From how I understand it the FX company would make a bid and have to complete it within a certain time frame as a part of that bid, the show being delayed wouldn't mean more time to work.