Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Welcome to City of Chaos! This... mm. This is a bastard Mafia-like for 19 players! If you don't know what 'bastard' means this may not be the game for you. But if you are fine with enthusiastically jumping into a woodchipper head-first anyway, a bastard game is one where normally verboten Mafia elements are present and possibly even embraced. Alignment changes? Old fashioned cults? Jesters? Terrible roles that alter your results and make you wander away from your chosen target? YES, THEY MIGHT BE IN HERE.

Questions and Answers:

Q: Wait, Mafia-like?
A: Yeah, that means one or more basic assumptions about Mafia setups are going to be inaccurate. You can't rely on standard distribution concepts of town being the number of scum * 3 + 1, or that wincons are standard, etc.
Q: AAAAAAAwait a minute. I'm not falling for this again. This is just going to be another flipless vanilla game and the -like is bastard mod misdirection!
A: Nope. I wasn't kidding when I said I'd put Sawfia on a list. See Rule 7 below. THIS IS NOT FLIPLESS VANILLA. Scout's honor. I made this because I was bored before the last game even finished and I wanted to do something fun and way more properly bastard than just letting some goober play in his own sandbox.
Q: ...so on a scale of 1 to 10 how scared should I be, then?
A: As I did last time, I solemnly swear all bastard elements I have in here have been tempered so that they don't completely splinter the fundaments of the social deduction game or are at least maximally fun for everyone. Old-timey cults could mean deprogrammers or immune former cultists turned PGOs exist. Alignment changes might be voluntary, or restricted, or voluntarily reversible. Jesters might get shot or pulled off the stage by a Hook. Terrible roles might have counters. And so on. I can't promise I've done a perfect job but I have tried and I've thought things through as much as I can solo. It's possible whatever I've done maybe even is so small I didn't think a counter would be necessary, even if it's not something that would be kosher for a normal game.

...right, that didn't actually answer your question. If 1 is "a nice walk in the park during the day" and 10 is "just realized someone has been following you for the last 15 minutes as you're jogging alone in the forest at night and you forgot your cellphone at home" maybe this is a 4-6? IDK, I'm just guessing.
Q: What is the national bird of Israel?
A: The hoopoe.
Q: I don't want to play, but I want to observe. Anything wild going on with that I should know about?
A: YES. You'll start unspoiled, but once the first night hits I'll start a little game for all y'all. There'll be interesting prizes you can win. Very interesting prizes...
Q: Anything I should know about flavor?
A: Mmmmmmm good question, but you'll learn more by reading a small clarification in the action resolutions below.
Q: ..You said this wasn't flipless vanilla. You're not getting this past me - this is flipless, right?
A: No. It's not flipless either. I may do something else funny with flips, but to a certain extent what I'm doing will be obvious immediately.
Q: Are you going to screw me over by making me think my results or a flip said one thing and then change it to something else later?
A: I am not doing that, no. If I were to have that kind of thing here, there'd be safeguards and it would be connected to an identifiable, removable source at a minimum, but I'm not doing that this game. I might do something else weird, but if I have to edit something it's going to be because it's a typo or because I hosed up a result that should have happened, not because I'm changing reality around on a dime. At most, there will be additions - there will not be any subtractions or substitutions.
Q: ......You are not changing reality around on a dime. What does that Meen?
A: Hmm. I'm not going to tell you that one.
Q: Oh god, 18 other people? I can barely read 12!
A: Um. Non-question aside, this is not going to be like the other open games right now. Some reading power is good, but winning shouldn't require intense game study or anything. This is designed to be wild more than anything else.
Q: Anything else I should know in general?
A: I have not lied in this OP. Everything here is the truth as best I can tell it. Anything else is.. potentially up for grabs. Muahahaha.

Rule 0, the important one that overrules all other rules: First and foremost, we are here to have fun and enjoy ourselves. Please make sure that at all times you put your own sanity and mental well-being first. If at any point you feel like you're having a bad time, like someone's taking things too far or you just need someone to talk to, please contact your mods or one of our many community volunteers. The following users have been suggested as points of contact if you do not feel you can reach out to me: The Traditional Games forum moderators, Leperflesh and Antivehicular; and Mafia regulars VoodooFly, Hal Insandenza, Bifauxnen, Monathin, Wologar, Maerlyn, Cloacamazing!, EccoRaven, CCKeane, Opopanax, Sandwolf and Shellception.

1. General mafia rules apply. If you are playing, do NOT discuss the game outside the thread or authorized OOT channels!

2. Please don't lurk. The lurker threshold will be 10 posts per game day, with the requisite being halved for hammers that happen at 12h to deadline or earlier, and eliminated if 24h to deadline or earlier. Communication is key - if something important is keeping you from posting and I can accommodate it, tell us! First time is a warning, second one is a modkill.

e: I have thought on this front a little and I am waiving the postcount enforcement for this game. This is because I think that this can very easily be a self-correcting problem.

3. Do not edit your posts. If there is a big reason you need to do so, tell us first.

4. Do not directly quote private communications. Copying and pasting any kind of OOT comms into thread is not allowed. Neither is copying and pasting any kind of mod communication, including your PM, either in thread or in any possible OOT communication channels. This rule will be enforced, and infringing it will result in a modkill.

5. Do not fake day actions. If you have been affected by a day action, please wait for it to resolve before posting.

6. Don't be an rear end to people. You don't have to be all nice and friendly all the time, but if things get too heated, please disconnect, calm down and come back later. Again, mod team is here to ensure everyone has fun, but I'd particularly not like needing to tell posters to chill. Be mindful of the person at the other side of the screen!

7. This game is NOT flipless vanilla (technically bastard-adjacent but still definitely counts).

8. Days will be 36-48 hours long, depending on the usual of week/weekend landings and my schedule. Hammers are by majority as usual.

9. Everything game-wise will be managed or accessed through Discord; please join using the link at the bottom so that you can get settled in and set up.

Result language and action notes (shamelessly repeated from prior games):

1. A result that successfully targets will yield the result. "You successfully x your target"
2. A result that does not successfully target will yield the result. "Your action fails."
3. If a player name is ever mentioned as part of a result other than those that require it, this is a mod error.
4. A "successful" target is defined as an ability resolving on someone. This does not have to be the intended target, so a redirected result will yield the same language as a result that has not been redirected.
5. You will be informed if there are any special conditions that may cause your action to fail that you could not reasonably guess in advance in your role PM. As such, please read your role PM thoroughly and ask questions liberally in your confessional; I refuse to be held responsible for any misplays you make because you didn't make sure you understood how your role works! If you are not sure what might be considered reasonably guessable in advance, I highly recommend reading this link and asking any other questions you may have as needed.
6. All usable actions will have a corresponding bolded input, f.ex. "##mutate".

Signups:

1. AFancyQuestionMark
  2. CapitalistPig (He/Him)
  3. CubicalSucrose
  4. EGalz18 (She/Her)
  5. gay for gacha
  6. Hal Incandenza (he/him/hal)
  7. hambeet (he/him)
  8. Johnny Keats
  9. lih
  10. My Second Re-Reg
  11. mycelia (he/him)
  12. Sandwolf (He/Him)
  13. TammyHEH (she/her)
  14. Tea Party Crasher
  15. Tired Moritz
  16. Toalpaz (She/Her & They/Them)
  17. wins32767
  18. Your Personal Muse
  19. Zoya

Observers:

• shwinnebego
  • SporkChan
  • Rogue AI Goddess
  • wologar
  • Shellception

Replacements:

Timeline/Important Posts:
D1 begins!
D1 ends in the execution of EGalz18! N2 begins!
N1 ends in the death of Tired Moritz! D2 begins!
Zoya dies! D2 continues.
D2 ends in the execution of Johnny Keats! N2 begins!

Discord link HERE.

e: We are full! N0 beginning shortly, D1 will start tomorrow.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

In

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

:goofy:

(I'm in again)

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I need to be in this.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

hard to say if it is better to play or observe

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

All the worlds a stage and I am merely a player.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
im in!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

we need more chaos

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I’m sad this game isn’t recognized by its dad by I’ll sign up

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
this is a safe & normal game for a first time player, right

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

lih posted:

this is a safe & normal game for a first time player, right

Keats is in the game, so no

jk I love Keats

Love to hate him!!!!

Or, hate to love him?

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

If I don't solve game on day 1 I'm probably scum

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
Normally I don't sign up for obs until a game has actually filled up, but this one actually has an obs component!

Signing up for the obs game!

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Johnny Keats posted:

If I don't solve game on day 1 I'm probably scum

This is true, if town hasn’t won by d2 you should try to kill Keats

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

TPC crashes the party!

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Tentative.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Cube please play I have to rely on you to figure out mechanics

It will be so easy to pocket me this game

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

No YPM Cube's probably just deciding if he can come up with something fun enough to get killed on day 1 for claiming

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Might as well get in here too

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Cube don’t worry I’ll kill you regardless

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Your Personal Muse posted:

Cube don’t worry I’ll kill you regardless

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Did they just implement that new quote tag or am I going crazy??

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Johnny Keats posted:

Did they just implement that new quote tag or am I going crazy??

It's a recent thing that got developed. Pretty neat even though I've gotten used to just scrolling past quotes I don't want to read.

EGalz18
Aug 5, 2023

I LOVE WORDS. THAT'S ALL.
In

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

It's a recent thing that got developed. Pretty neat even though I've gotten used to just scrolling past quotes I don't want to read.

Honestly I'm more concerned that any changes to the rickety forums scaffolding this is all built upon will lead to collapse!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

SporkChan posted:

Honestly I'm more concerned that any changes to the rickety forums scaffolding this is all built upon will lead to collapse!

I've gotten less worried about that as time has gone by; we haven't had a load-bearing copyright or stolen trees for a long time.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

obs

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I’m new here can I play?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

hambeet posted:

I’m new here can I play?

Don’t believe this, I think hambeet is a Mr. Humalong sock account

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

It’s why I’m so crusty

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Let's do the thing.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
This sounds like a nightmare to play, but I would like to observe.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ok sure

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Is the game open

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I'm missing 3 players still!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I'm missing 3 players still!

awww, i miss you too!

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
A real bastard move would be choosing three of the observers and forcing them to play. Just saying, the choice is out there.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Give me 4 roles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
just let players join late and make that part of the bastard twist somehow