Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I randomly remembered that Larry starred in two movies within the last decade; Woody Allen's Whatever Works and Larry Charles' Clear History, which is more or less a feature-length Curb episode because he plays pretty much Curb Larry in both. I'd totally forgotten the latter even though I think I enjoyed it for what it was.

He also had a bit part in the recent Three Stooges movie as a nun I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Junkenstein posted:

Would Larry still be a big celebrity in the Curb Universe where Curb Your Enthusiasm is not a thing?

I guess he's had the play and the Seinfeld reunion and now Young Larry.

yes because of Young Larry :)

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
but yeah that's a good question like what was Larry's level of celebrity even when Seinfeld was at its peak? like the dudes who made Malcolm in the Middle or That 90's Show probably never get recognized in public, obviously Seinfeld was bigger but did people really know who he was? like how would Young Larry get made? there sure as hell wouldn't be a Young Chuck Lorre

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

He did guest star/cameo on the show many times, so you'd have seen/heard him around at least. I have no idea what the reception to Curb season 1 was like since I only came to it years later. Wild to think it started only like two years after Seinfeld ended.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

My recollection of seinfeld days is people for the most part didn't reallly knew who he was but then you'd have some wise folks saying like "Oh it was better during the Larry David years," and I think the fact that this mythical Larry David came back for the finale was also pretty widely known. So I think without Curb he wouldn't be that famous, especially decades on from Seinfeld, but with the other projects he's done in Curb world I guess he'd be back out there, Young Larry specifically as people have said. i can't remember what he was up to in a lot of the other seasons... he had the play but I don't think that'd really put him on the pop culture map...

Anyway I really liked that episode, I thought it was vintage Curb/Seinfeld with a bunch of plots colliding at the end.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I think maybe a fair comparison is Dan Harmon. His name is in the title screen for Community and Rick & Morty so a lot of people vaguely know his name even if they don't know what he looks like.

That said, celebrities and especially comedians like Conan would definitely know who Larry David is.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fast Luck posted:

My recollection of seinfeld days is people for the most part didn't reallly knew who he was but then you'd have some wise folks saying like "Oh it was better during the Larry David years," and I think the fact that this mythical Larry David came back for the finale was also pretty widely known. So I think without Curb he wouldn't be that famous, especially decades on from Seinfeld, but with the other projects he's done in Curb world I guess he'd be back out there, Young Larry specifically as people have said. i can't remember what he was up to in a lot of the other seasons... he had the play but I don't think that'd really put him on the pop culture map...

Anyway I really liked that episode, I thought it was vintage Curb/Seinfeld with a bunch of plots colliding at the end.

I was a kid for the finale but I remember knowing somehow that it would be an extra big deal since original creator Larry David was coming back for it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also it’s LA. All the celebrities Larry knows are in the industry and they know who the big shot producers and writers are. I think his general level of fame on the show is about reasonable, and it climbs when he does stuff like The Producers. But he’s still low profile enough that he is just some bald rear end in a top hat to the average person he meets.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Yeah, good stuff. Seems like it was clipped from a longer video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-3fx36WOYQ

And there's also one with Larry from a week before that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwyoZ50o0vk

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Does Jeff have other clients than Larry?

Is it ever discussed how/why Jeff and Susie became a couple?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Small White Dragon posted:

Does Jeff have other clients than Larry?

Is it ever discussed how/why Jeff and Susie became a couple?

There's been at least one plot about him trying to poach a client from another agent.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
Jeff has tried to get Ricky Gervais, Clive Owen and Ben Stiller but Larry ruined each one way or the other. Richard Lewis is a client I think.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i think all the women he cheats on susie with are clients

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i think all the women he cheats on susie with are clients

What about big vagina nurse?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think they dated before he got with Susie.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think they dated before he got with Susie.

I don’t think they ever said. That was season 5 so Sammy was, what? 11/12? Her Bat Mitzvah was the following season with a year break in between. So I guess it could have been before Susie. Either way, it was short lived.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
I love it when the Iranian dude follows up with her in the Fatwa! investigation

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Larry David goon status confirmed he just said “something awful”

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pretty lovely to put out a transphobic episode of this on Trans Visibility Day. I was laughing a lot before that, but then that happened and :yikes:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rageaholic posted:

Pretty lovely to put out a transphobic episode of this on Trans Visibility Day. I was laughing a lot before that, but then that happened and :yikes:

Larry sucks. That’s the whole point.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
I mean, Ken was obviously making it uncomfortable for Larry. They shouldn't have mentioned anything at all about their relationship. That was super uncouth.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That was a classic episode - just out Cheryl in and it’s amazing. Bruce was awesome too - just unhinged. Wish he was in more.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Pretty pretty pretty good episode. Not a big Springsteen fan but he served his role well. Could have used a little more Matt Berry, but he was great. Larry saying he slept with Kendra not Ken was fantastic, and any shouting match between Larry and Susie is gold. Can't believe there's only one episode left.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Dirty Floor Fucker

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Super Deuce posted:

I mean, Ken was obviously making it uncomfortable for Larry. They shouldn't have mentioned anything at all about their relationship. That was super uncouth.

Yeah I don't think the episode is itself anymore transphobic than the one where Larry recoils from Laverne Cox because she's sick (after already falling out of her good graces because he couldn't help himself asking about her genitals). Larry's discomfort is always the butt of the joke, trans actors are always playing the roles and agreeing to play along. This show has always mined humor out of the idea that people the audience feels inherent sympathy for can be just as rude as Larry is (like the Michael J. Fox episode). Compared to what most 76-year-old comics would be doing with the concept it's revelatory.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pretty good. I can’t believe it’s actually ending next week.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I don't know what adult life is like without CYE

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

ChesterJT posted:

Could have used a little more Matt Berry

I'm guessing we'll see more of him, since it seems like he's going to spread covid to a ton of people

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah I don't think the episode is itself anymore transphobic than the one where Larry recoils from Laverne Cox because she's sick (after already falling out of her good graces because he couldn't help himself asking about her genitals). Larry's discomfort is always the butt of the joke, trans actors are always playing the roles and agreeing to play along. This show has always mined humor out of the idea that people the audience feels inherent sympathy for can be just as rude as Larry is (like the Michael J. Fox episode). Compared to what most 76-year-old comics would be doing with the concept it's revelatory.
I get that, and I know the point of the show is that Larry sucks, but still, he was pretty obviously disgusted that he used to hook up with a trans person. Maybe it's just me and where I am in life, but I don't find that funny and don't want to watch an episode like that.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Rageaholic posted:

I get that, and I know the point of the show is that Larry sucks, but still, he was pretty obviously disgusted that he used to hook up with a trans person. Maybe it's just me and where I am in life, but I don't find that funny and don't want to watch an episode like that.

It wasn’t an episode like that, and again you’re ignoring that Larry didn’t bring it up. It wasn’t transphobia it was Ken being a creep telling everyone he and Larry hosed in the past specifically to cause Larry’s discomfort. It wasn’t mentioned again after that scene.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It was a bit gay panicky as he kept insisting on hooking up with Kendra as if that’s a different person. Fair enough to be put off by it at the moment. I just think calling it “a transphobic episode” is like calling the numerous ones where he gets himself in hot water with Black people “racist episodes” etc.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It was a bit gay panicky as he kept insisting on hooking up with Kendra as if that’s a different person. Fair enough to be put off by it at the moment. I just think calling it “a transphobic episode” is like calling the numerous ones where he gets himself in hot water with Black people “racist episodes” etc.
You're right, my bad. It's not like the whole episode was centered around that.

This did make me remember an episode earlier in the series that could be considered biphobic, though. Season 8, episode 7: "The Bi-Sexual", the one with Rosie O'Donnell. Now, I haven't seen that one in years, so I'm not entirely sure that's the case, but I do remember there being an exchange between Larry and Rosie in which Rosie says something like "I hate bisexuals." and Larry responds "They're the worst.", which also left a bad taste in my mouth.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That’s the one where they compete for the same woman and both lose her.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Rageaholic posted:

You're right, my bad. It's not like the whole episode was centered around that.

This did make me remember an episode earlier in the series that could be considered biphobic, though. Season 8, episode 7: "The Bi-Sexual", the one with Rosie O'Donnell. Now, I haven't seen that one in years, so I'm not entirely sure that's the case, but I do remember there being an exchange between Larry and Rosie in which Rosie says something like "I hate bisexuals." and Larry responds "They're the worst.", which also left a bad taste in my mouth.

Wasn't their disdain for bisexuals that they (Larry and Rosie) wanted them to "pick a side" which spoke more to indecision than sexual preference.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

What are the odds that the whole Matt Berry encounter was adlibbed on his part?

Close to a 100%. Where are the outtakes of that?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought his first scene was lame but him narrating the book is perfect use of him. Was Patricia Heaton getting handsy?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Leon got fuckin' we-too'd

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Decent ep but the masseuse subplot didn't really go anywhere. Maybe she'll show up in the trial to tell us Larry is a Very Bad Man.

(Spoilers based on the synopsis for the last episode)
The synopsis doesn't mention the trial but it's impossible to imagine the series ending without, or it being a three minute thing at the end of the episode so it's weird.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

There were a lot of loose threads this episode (like the zipper) and season that didn't really go anywhere, fully expecting them to all come back in the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

opengl posted:

There were a lot of loose threads this episode (like the zipper) and season that didn't really go anywhere, fully expecting them to all come back in the finale.

The zipper was the reason Larry was just a few seconds too late in preventing Matt Berry from getting on that bus.