Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

But remastered!

They're two of the most infamously bad and ridiculous games out there. They were such mistakes that Nintendo themselves will never acknowledge them as part of The Legend of Zelda's history ever. They're prime fodder for mockery, and cornerstones of shitposting and YouTube Poop-ing.
And only a YouTube Pooper could see the good in these games and decide to bring that out.
For four years up to the hellhole of 2020, one of them, Seth "Dopply" Fulkerson, did just that.

As a chance to prove to himself that he could develop a game, Dopply remade the two best-known Zelda CD-i games for PC, adding several gameplay and mechanical improvements as a "Remastered" mode, but without taking away any of the games' inherent silliness and incongruence. The goofy, awkwardly-animated and voiced cutscenes are still here, looking crisp as ever; the music is still inexplicably rad; walking from one side of a map to the other will still get you hounded by a batshit enemy spawn rate. But it runs at a much faster and smooth 60fps, the hit detection is far more accurate, and the level geometry is finally sensible.
Shockingly, once you fix the unplayability of these games, a surprising amount of charm comes out. Like how this Zelda is adorable and will wreck your poo poo.

So, join me as I introduce JigglyJacob and MugiStraw to the versions of these classic memes that actually put their best feet forward. Both Link: The Faces of Evil and Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon will be played and completed in three parts each, respectively, with the final parts also diving into some of the extras that Dopply and friends snuck in.
And afterward, we even have plans to give their original Zelda CD-i-like a go.

But not Zelda's Adventure. Even Dopply thinks that one is unsalvageable.

-----------------------------------------

Link: The Faces of Evil

Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon

FeyerbrandX posted:

you asked for a green screen you got it

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The what

E: I was always unnerved by how pink everyone's lips are in these cutscenes.

E2: no health pickups with some of these enemy layouts is truly demented, but I think that's a holdover from the original?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 4, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Wow, this looks shockingly playable.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I remember reading an interview with one of the animators a few years back and apparently the cutscene animators were given the character designs and the recorded dialogue and otherwise given creative freedom, which explains A Lot.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Here's a pretty good retrospective on the CD-I Zelda games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQHtv8xmkk8

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

But not Zelda's Adventure. Even Dopply thinks that one is unsalvageable.

This is not the first time I've seen someone explicitly exclude Zelda's Adventure from a recorded playthrough of the CD-i games.
If anything it makes me even more curious of how bad of a trainwreck that game must be then.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Carbon dioxide posted:

This is not the first time I've seen someone explicitly exclude Zelda's Adventure from a recorded playthrough of the CD-i games.
If anything it makes me even more curious of how bad of a trainwreck that game must be then.

Zelda's Adventure remake was done on a fan mockup of the Link's Awakening/Oracle engine. Except it doesn't have the basic things that make those games playable like knockback or mercy invincibility. So you can cross a screen transition and find yourself stuck inside a monster that hits you for damage every game tick, with no way to get out of it because the damage box for the wand you use to attack doesn't cover inside your model.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I have to imagine that it says a lot that I've never seen a youtube poop of any of Zelda's Adventure's cutscenes

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've always been morbidly curious about these games

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
It begins

I've been looking forward to this ever since we hit the goal way back when and I'm glad you get to do them now in a format that actually functions.

Yes, it can be fun to see LPers suffer, but only within moderation and not in a genuine suffering kind of way. I think playing the originals would have fallen into the latter category.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

DMorbid posted:

Here's a pretty good retrospective on the CD-I Zelda games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQHtv8xmkk8

It is crazy how they managed to do as much as they were able to do within the constraints of the hardware.

Also, I never knew it was the same guy who did that videogame adaptation of 'Below The Root' for the C=64. That was a favorite of mine in my early computer days.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I have to imagine that it says a lot that I've never seen a youtube poop of any of Zelda's Adventure's cutscenes

There was a run through Zelda's Adventure at GDQ a couple of years ago. I'll try to find it later. The game is bad, but it's unremarkably bad, and not the meme these two games are. Despite attempts.

Edit: Here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLC6pa3T7m4

IMJack fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 6, 2024

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Game Grumps did Zelda's Adventure and watching Egoraptor suffer was very entertaining.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Somehow these inspired Arzette. In luding the mspaint art

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We meet some of the more colorful cast of Koridai in this part

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The eating guy's voice is a dead ringer for Barney from The Simpsons

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Seeing you spam bombs against rocks when you have the power glove brings me so much pain. The power glove kills basically every non-elemental enemy in a single hit, and destroys rocks instantly. :negative:

EDIT: Lol nevermind jumped the gun. I'm dumb.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
This is the game that keeps on giving :allears:

At least this version is.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
First episode was great, second episode even better. It's really cool to see something that's about as close to the original creators' vision as one could imagine!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

If I'm remembering John "Faces of Evil and Wand of Gamelon are actually great games, you plebs" Sczepaniak's Hardcore Gaming 101 writeup correctly, the flying enemies do eventually stop spawning, it just takes forever for them to do so.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

That's all for Faces of Evil, so Wand of Gamelon will be next week!

PS: this is my favorite thumbnail for either LP, and it was by far the easiest to make. Some true faces of evil

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!
I love how the wolf who's supposed to be Ganon's most powerful minion sounds like a 13 year old.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This game (and Wand even though we haven't seen it yet) feel like alphas that were given some actual art assets and music, and then shipped without any playtesting or re-working of the "engine" or whatever. Like yeah it functions, but nobody in their right mind would say that it's good.

Also the cutscene art reminds me of a bad Don Bluth knock-off, and I can't be the only person to have thought this before.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Can you throw the book at other enemies?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
This is very much a "be careful what you wish for/who you screw over and piss off" for Nintendo cause if they had stayed loyal to Sony and the PlayStation continued as a SNES add-on instead of becoming its own console, the gaming industry might have become a very different place.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

https://twitter.com/captpan6/status/1766194533698568634

The impact of these games is wider than any who worked on it could have imagined

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
As someone who contributed to the goal to LP the CD-I Zelda games, I'm very happy with how this turned out.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The king has some serious Mayor Haggar vibes

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Wand of Gamelon begins!

You can guess which of these two games I enjoy/respect more by the thumbnails.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

There's actually only a small handful of places in the game that you need ropes. The rest of the time, you can make what appears to be impossible jumps by basically glitching up onto the platforms by jumping at them enough. Including the jump from the cliff top to the bow of the shipwreck!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Zelda's slightly-stoned attitude does so much to elevate these cutscenes. While Link is into this poo poo a little too much, Zelda just lets all the insanity wash over and through her.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Zelda's slightly-stoned attitude does so much to elevate these cutscenes. While Link is into this poo poo a little too much, Zelda just lets all the insanity wash over and through her.

Zelda is just quietly competent compared to Link's loud dipshittery. See: "You killlllled meeeee!" / "Good. :hai:"

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Makes you wonder how often this version of Zelda goes out and gets stuff done while Link is off doing his own thing.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

berryjon posted:

Makes you wonder how often this version of Zelda goes out and gets stuff done while Link is off doing his own thing.

When Nintendo said Breath of the Wild took place 10,000 years after the latest Zelda, I headcanon'd that the Zelda's since then had been keeping things in check because the wisdom granted to her finally made her realize "hey it's probably easier if we take care of him before he becomes a problem" each time Ganon tried to come back

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Big fan of the time lapse title cards during the intro, you can almost hear the Spongebob voice over them.

Also I'd be so pissed if I got through that long area with the Wizzrobe fight, only to realize that I didn't have a bomb to actually finish it out.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The overworld map music for this game has been unfortunately permanently ruined for me by the GG playthrough.

C-Euro posted:

Big fan of the time lapse title cards during the intro, you can almost hear the Spongebob voice over them.

Also I'd be so pissed if I got through that long area with the Wizzrobe fight, only to realize that I didn't have a bomb to actually finish it out.
Or you had ONE bomb and it went like Thorn's initial attempt :lol:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

This part is short but it's GOOD.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I can't get over the weird King's Retainer guy just looking like a weasel in human form. Like, every time I see him, it's utterly uncanny how he just looks like a weasel.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I still can't get over the random woman who does a flip for no goddamn reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

DoubleNegative posted:

I can't get over the weird King's Retainer guy just looking like a weasel in human form. Like, every time I see him, it's utterly uncanny how he just looks like a weasel.

It's so jarring going from him and the other characters with hyper-detailed faces to Zelda and Link, whose facial features look drawn on with crayons.

Like look at these episode banners. Is it just because they're young and therefore not wrinkly like everyone else?