Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I may have made some experimental games lately (which is to say, all two of them). So why not lean into that experimentation even more, by letting you the players experiment! For science!

What is this?
This is a role madness game for 12 players. This is also the third Mafia game I've moderated. It's experimental, so be sure to read The Game, below. Hopefully it goes better than my last game!

Do I need to know about science to play this?
No.

Do I need to read my role PM to play this?
It's complicated. Check out The Setup, below!

The Setup
Players will NOT receive their entire role PM all at once. Instead it will be given out piecemeal over time, as described here.
At the start of Day 1, AKA at the start of the game, all players will learn whether they are TOWN, SCUM, or SELF aligned. SCUM-aligned players will have access to scumchat.
At the start of Day 2, all players will learn what their flavor is. Flavor may or may not hint at what power role you have. I don't say this because some have hints and some don't, I say it because I am not good at giving hints so it may be more or less obvious what the hint is.
At the start of Day 3, all players will learn what their power role is. At this point, everyone will have their full role PM.

The Game
What makes this Experimental Mafia is the fact that just because you don't know your abilities, doesn't mean you can't use them! Once each day and night, you may choose to attempt an action. Day actions must be attempted publicly in thread, while night actions are attempted in private. Experiment, and you may get results! Figuring out your role ahead of the other players could be a huge advantage! Or you might waste a 1-shot ability, but progress doesn't come without risk! Rather than making you guess at what verbs I could possibly care about (I'll save that for Interactive Fiction Mafia), here is a list of all possible actions:
##empower
##end
##give
##hate
##hide
##investigate
##jugg
##kill
##love
##message
##ninja
##poison
##prime
##protect
##recruit
##redirect
##roleblock
##silence
##steal
##track
##voteblock
##watch
Note that with only 12 players, not all of these actions will actually succeed. But if it's not an action listed here, it won't be possible in this game. But within this list, feel free to experiment!

Special Note
When a player dies, their flip will be fully revealed regardless of what day or night it is. Learn from the failures of others!

Now for the important part that I stole from another Mafia thread: the rules.

Rule 0, the important one that overrules all other rules: First and foremost, we are here to have fun and enjoy ourselves. Please make sure that at all times you put your own sanity and mental well-being first. If at any point you feel like you're having a bad time, like someone's taking things too far or just need someone to talk to, please contact one of our many community volunteers. The following users have been suggested as points of contact: The Traditional Games forum moderators, Leperflesh and Antivehicular; and Mafia regulars VoodooFly, Hal Insandenza, Bifauxnen, Monathin, Wologar, Maerlyn, Cloacamazing!, EccoRaven, CCKeane, Opopanax, Sandwolf and Shellception.

1) Don't be a dick.
2) No unsanctioned out of thread communication about the game.
3) No copy-pasting any out of thread info into the thread, especially not your role PM. Paraphrasing is generally fine, when in doubt ask your mods.
4) Do not post after the hammer.
5) Do not fake day actions.
6) Do not post when dead.
7) Don't edit your posts.
8) Lurker rules: I've decided that it's too annoying to try to keep track of post counts specifically, just try to post every day.
9) Seriously, don't be a dick.

Because your role PMs are not fully revealed at the start of the game, this game technically falls under the purview of Mod Bastardry. Keep that in mind. Also I apologize in advance.

Night action results will be given as "You successfully [action]ed your target.", followed by any further information. Failed actions will be given as "You failed to [action] your target." There will usually be some flavor text in italics delivered with the night results. While flavor text won't outright lie to you, it also isn't part of your result text. Rely on it at your own peril.

You will need Discord to play this. Please join the server here: https://discord.gg/JWNrqe6enk

1. AFancyQuestionMark
  2. AnonymousNarcotics (they/them)
  3. CapitalistPig (He/Him)
  4. CubicalSucrose
  5. Dans Macabre
  6. Hal Incandenza (he/him/hal)
  7. Johnny Keats
  8. MockingQuantum (He/him)
  9. mycelia (he/him)
  10. PhantomMuzzles (She/Her)
  11. Tired Moritz
  12. Your Personal Muse

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Definitely here for science

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Poo poo pee pee

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
:science:

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Sure

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
okay i wanna play this

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Put me in

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
discord invite dead?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Updated, hopefully it actually doesn't expire this time.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Inside

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'll play. I'll read the OP later

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.
I would like to join this game please :) though I also don't know what several of those action words mean

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

PhantomMuzzles posted:

I would like to join this game please :) though I also don't know what several of those action words mean

Don't worry, you can experiment and find out!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Question: will each valid action target a player? Eg ##end dans

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Dans Macabre posted:

Question: will each valid action target a player? Eg ##end dans

No. At least one requires no target, and at least one requires multiple.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

(If you use a command that requires no target and include a target, the target parameter will be ignored.)

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

can we get man pages on the commands

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I don't know what that means

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Dans Macabre posted:

can we get man pages on the commands

Check the wiki.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Circl said they will tell me my role

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.

CubicalSucrose posted:

Check the wiki.

Did the wiki move? I checked the link that's posted in the general-info-and-rules channel in the Discord and it goes nowhere

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

PhantomMuzzles posted:

Did the wiki move? I checked the link that's posted in the general-info-and-rules channel in the Discord and it goes nowhere

(not a signup) The wiki is dead for now, we don't know why they deleted it this time. I think there are backups, though.

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.

Shellception posted:

(not a signup) The wiki is dead for now, we don't know why they deleted it this time. I think there are backups, though.

RIP

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

this sounds weird, I will play

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I am sure I will not regret this. Sign me up!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The room was a mess. Things were out of place, disheveled. Your thoughts raced. You were... who were you? The sign on the door says "ANNUAL SCIENCE CONFERENCE," so you must be scientists, right? You were studying something, trying to find something...

Then you see the corpse. Oh yeah, you were trying to find who was killing scientists. Who are you, again? Ah well, surely the answer lies in science!

Scientist Man has been killed Night 0!

Scientist Man posted:

You are Scientist Man, TOWN-aligned NPC. You are, without a doubt, one of the worst scientists to ever grace the realm of fiction. Mostly because you're just Red Letter Media's Mike Stoklasa in a lab coat. Not even your rubbly gloves could save you from whoever dunked you in a vat of your own acetone.

You win when all threats to town have been eliminated.

Day 1 begins!

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (12): AFancyQuestionMark, AnonymousNarcotics, CapitalistPig, CubicalSucrose, Dans Macabre, Hal Incandenza, Johnny Keats, MockingQuantum, mycelia, PhantomMuzzles, Tired Moritz, Your Personal Muse

With 12 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is March 27th, 2024 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 21 hours.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Forgot the gimmick lol

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

I guess ##love Cube

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Johnny Keats posted:

I guess ##love Cube

You failed to love your target.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

But that *was* a day action? We're learning things!

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Actually I guess a night action attempted in the day would fail but whatever

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Hm.

##give Keats

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I resisted the urge to attempt a vig. That's for tomorrow.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

mycelia posted:

Hm.

##give Keats

You failed to give your target.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Hal Incandenza posted:

Definitely here for science

First in, first (???)

In order, I'd like to attempt to:

##empower Hal, Keats, ANarc
##end Hal, Keats, ANarc
##give Hal, Keats, ANarc
##hate Hal, Keats, ANarc
##hide Hal, Keats, ANarc
##investigate Hal, Keats, ANarc
##jugg Hal, Keats, ANarc
##kill Hal, Keats, ANarc
##love Hal, Keats, ANarc
##message Hal, Keats, ANarc This is Cube and I rolled town this game, code word Flubber.
##ninja Hal, Keats, ANarc
##poison Hal, Keats, ANarc
##prime Hal, Keats, ANarc
##protect Hal, Keats, ANarc
##recruit Hal, Keats, ANarc
##redirect Hal, Keats, ANarc
##roleblock Hal, Keats, ANarc
##silence Hal, Keats, ANarc
##steal Hal, Keats, ANarc
##track Hal, Keats, ANarc
##voteblock Hal, Keats, ANarc
##watch Hal, Keats, ANarc

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

CubicalSucrose posted:

##empower Hal, Keats, ANarc

You fail to empower your targets.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The Game posted:

Once each day and night, you may choose to attempt an action.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I may be vanilla town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

##silence mockingquantum