Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Shame

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

MockingQuantum posted:

I may be vanilla town

Scum detected

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

CubicalSucrose posted:

First in, first (???)

In order, I'd like to attempt to:

##empower Hal, Keats, ANarc
##end Hal, Keats, ANarc
##give Hal, Keats, ANarc
##hate Hal, Keats, ANarc
##hide Hal, Keats, ANarc
##investigate Hal, Keats, ANarc
##jugg Hal, Keats, ANarc
##kill Hal, Keats, ANarc
##love Hal, Keats, ANarc
##message Hal, Keats, ANarc This is Cube and I rolled town this game, code word Flubber.
##ninja Hal, Keats, ANarc
##poison Hal, Keats, ANarc
##prime Hal, Keats, ANarc
##protect Hal, Keats, ANarc
##recruit Hal, Keats, ANarc
##redirect Hal, Keats, ANarc
##roleblock Hal, Keats, ANarc
##silence Hal, Keats, ANarc
##steal Hal, Keats, ANarc
##track Hal, Keats, ANarc
##voteblock Hal, Keats, ANarc
##watch Hal, Keats, ANarc

I feel so left out, you could have at least attempted to kill all of us, for comedy reasons

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

##silence mockingquantum

You fail to silence your target.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

I feel so left out, you could have at least attempted to kill all of us, for comedy reasons

I figured two is probably the max parameters and likely only relevant for redirect, so using three seemed about safe. They were all the players that signed up before me.

Give and Steal are interesting. Give seems strange. Steal alone could be "steal results." I'm not sure on "prime," normally would think empower-like for that word.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

A little late to coordination, but it might have made sense for everyone to try the same action today.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

CubicalSucrose posted:

A little late to coordination, but it might have made sense for everyone to try the same action today.

Probably like uhh...poison, which is probably more likely to be scum, if in the game.

If everyone from now on tries to poison me or MQ, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

CubicalSucrose posted:

Probably like uhh...poison, which is probably more likely to be scum, if in the game.

coordination is for dweebs and gymnasts

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Hide could also be a multi-parameter action, I suppose.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

CubicalSucrose posted:

I figured two is probably the max parameters and likely only relevant for redirect, so using three seemed about safe. They were all the players that signed up before me.

Give and Steal are interesting. Give seems strange. Steal alone could be "steal results." I'm not sure on "prime," normally would think empower-like for that word.

No thoughts on "end"?

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

CubicalSucrose posted:

Why MQ?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Johnny Keats posted:

Scum detected

I'm sure about the town part, time will tell on the vanilla

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm sure about the town part, time will tell on the vanilla

But tell me. Are you town?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Johnny Keats posted:

But tell me. Are you town?

I'm like 90% sure but my track record for reading and comprehending my role pms isn't stellar. this one's mostly question marks though so I think I'm golden

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

You're safe for now

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

nice! at least until everyone starts poisoning me

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Johnny Keats posted:

No thoughts on "end"?

End feels like either a vig, or a cancellation of silence/love/hate/voteblock/poison.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Claimed "maybe VT" so a "relatively safe" poison target (that isn't me).

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

CubicalSucrose posted:

I have an equally likely chance to know if I'm VT as any other town player, I assume

I figured you suggested me because if everybody poisoned me and I die a day from now, I will find it immensely funny

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

if the 8 other players in the game poison me and I die:

pros:
-we may be able to conclusively determine we have a poisoner

cons:
-we'd have 8 potential poisoners

dealer's choice:
-i'd be dead

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

CubicalSucrose posted:

Well that's a bizarre thing to think, isn't it

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Did you not instantly interpret MQ's post as meaning that they have the exact same information we all have? Their assumption that any vanilla towns exist in the game is suspect, but for what reason would you believe MQ is more likely than anybody else to be genuinely VT?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Johnny Keats posted:

Did you not instantly interpret MQ's post as meaning that they have the exact same information we all have? Their assumption that any vanilla towns exist in the game is suspect, but for what reason would you believe MQ is more likely than anybody else to be genuinely VT?

I didn't think about it all that much, and they had already used an action.

MockingQuantum posted:

if the 8 other players in the game poison me and I die:

pros:
-we may be able to conclusively determine we have a poisoner

cons:
-we'd have 8 potential poisoners

dealer's choice:
-i'd be dead

The follow-ups could be:
- We vote out the poisoner.
- Everyone tries to protect you at night, which may or may not help against poison.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

it would be wild to have VT in a game where we're handed a list with almost twice as many actions as there are players

but then again, it does say "experimental" right there in the name

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

CubicalSucrose posted:

I didn't think about it all that much, and they had already used an action.

The follow-ups could be:
- We vote out the poisoner.
- Everyone tries to protect you at night, which may or may not help against poison.

this is assuming we're explicitly told when an action succeeds, for all we know at this point someone could try poisoning and just get told that it's unclear whether their action has succeeded. I'm guessing time will tell on that. or there are actions that will always fail during the day even if they're one of the ones available to you, the possibilities are endless until somebody hits the dartboard

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

It's ambiguous whether night actions may be attempted during the day, and therefore have the ability to fail, or if a different result from "failure" would occur.

I personally think that actions attempted during the wrong phase would result in a failed action, despite the fact that a literal reading of the OP suggests otherwise

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

this is assuming we're explicitly told when an action succeeds, for all we know at this point someone could try poisoning and just get told that it's unclear whether their action has succeeded. I'm guessing time will tell on that. or there are actions that will always fail during the day even if they're one of the ones available to you, the possibilities are endless until somebody hits the dartboard

Since we were told when actions failed, once someone got anything other than a failure seems like we'd stop and reevaluate from there.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Johnny Keats posted:

It's ambiguous whether night actions may be attempted during the day, and therefore have the ability to fail, or if a different result from "failure" would occur.

I personally think that actions attempted during the wrong phase would result in a failed action, despite the fact that a literal reading of the OP suggests otherwise

Okay same thing with voteblock then. I think voting out a voteblocker is probably right also, though I haven't worked through the math to do it. Having 12 players with (probably/maybe) a cult recruiter is a weird number, and voteblock is an atypical role, so if it's in this game it seems more likely than not to be non-town.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

"Day actions must be attempted publicly in thread, while night actions are attempted in private."

The use of "attempted" in this part of the OP suggests that actions cannot even be *attempted* in the wrong phase.

However, I think this is a mod oversight in writing the OP rather than the truth of the game

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

CubicalSucrose posted:

Okay same thing with voteblock then. I think voting out a voteblocker is probably right also, though I haven't worked through the math to do it. Having 12 players with (probably/maybe) a cult recruiter is a weird number, and voteblock is an atypical role, so if it's in this game it seems more likely than not to be non-town.

The assumption is that voteblock is more likely to be a valid day action vs. poison, if actions are actually phase-limited (unclear).

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

It would be quite weird if Empower was a day action, so I'm assuming that line of the OP should not he interpreted literally, and that a result of failure might mean you used the action in the wrong phase

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Very few of the actions sound like they would be day actions tbh

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.
What are people's thoughts on what "recruit" might do? Because I thought maybe it was a masonry thing but I've heard people in previous games mention a cult recruiter but I don't know what it is

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

PhantomMuzzles posted:

What are people's thoughts on what "recruit" might do? Because I thought maybe it was a masonry thing but I've heard people in previous games mention a cult recruiter but I don't know what it is

Cult recruiters are (typically?) 3Ps that have wincons of like...members control the vote, or everyone left alive is a cult member, or something like that. They're not often used. Most recently the wild Iggy game and maybe taste's "The Passage" are the ones that come to mind but I didn't actually finish reading those (also noteworthy - NOT Maug's Cultist Simulator game).

Their night action isn't to kill anyone, but instead to "recruit" them and either add or change their wincon, secretly. This may or may not be visible to that player. They may or may not join a cult masonry.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Hal Incandenza posted:

Very few of the actions sound like they would be day actions tbh

I thought the same

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

PhantomMuzzles posted:

Scum post

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.

CubicalSucrose posted:

Cult recruiters are (typically?) 3Ps that have wincons of like...members control the vote, or everyone left alive is a cult member, or something like that. They're not often used. Most recently the wild Iggy game and maybe taste's "The Passage" are the ones that come to mind but I didn't actually finish reading those (also noteworthy - NOT Maug's Cultist Simulator game).

Their night action isn't to kill anyone, but instead to "recruit" them and either add or change their wincon, secretly. This may or may not be visible to that player. They may or may not join a cult masonry.

Okay cool that seems like it could be unlikely in a game this size hopefully

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.
I maybe know or have guesses what most of the actions might do but no idea about these:

End
Hate
Love
Prime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

PhantomMuzzles posted:

I maybe know or have guesses what most of the actions might do but no idea about these:

End
Hate
Love
Prime

Hate and Love typically imbue a player with the (sometimes hidden) characteristic of "needing 1 more (or less) vote to be voted out as the day-elim."

Mods typically implement "Hated Stacks" with anonymous votes set in VF directly. For "Loved" mods will typically just sort of announce it publicly.

In uhh...the Stalin game, where I immediately got vig-stumped or something (or maybe this was Salad's Opry game, or both), I was hiddenly-Loved, which would've meant that if I got "hammered" it would've been really awkward and I don't know how the mod would've ruled it. I probably would've shut up and not posted until the day officially ended, with a no-elim hopefully, but maybe the mod would've stepped in and said something. I dunno. It's awkward because it's an etiquette breach to post after apparent hammer (which is a good thing) and so "hidden Loved Stacks" don't seem like a good design idea broadly, unless there's a bunch of vote-related shenanigans which players should be looking out for. Or the elim details are non-standard and it has been communicated that way.

In this game, I would expect that either both Hate and Love are included, or neither Hate nor Love are included.