Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

PhantomMuzzles posted:

It'll honestly be so embarrassing for the baddies if they try to kill you tonight. I mean I know they haven't been playing a great game so far but if they were paying so little attention today that they actually tried to NK you tonight, they deserve to fail

wait what, they know i'm a cop and the doc is dead. it's my turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Spoonsy posted:

Voodoo that loving sucks.

And yeah, yknow what? Now that I don't have the stupid post sword over my head? I'm actually kinda enjoying myself.

Say, who wants to see a picture of Kloaked and I doing the Time Warp at my wedding?

Me!

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.

ilmucche posted:

wait what, they know i'm a cop and the doc is dead. it's my turn

Yep that's right ;)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

PhantomMuzzles posted:

Yep that's right ;)

what do you know that i dont

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.

ilmucche posted:

what do you know that i dont

Probably some stuff about cryptids and maybe ciphers but that's about it

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

PhantomMuzzles posted:

Probably some stuff about cryptids and maybe ciphers but that's about it

aren't cryptids like aliens or something?

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.

ilmucche posted:

Some people think so. Rhys Darby has a fun podcast called the Cryptid Factor and they cover alien news too

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

ilmucche posted:

Aliens are cryptids but cryptids aren’t aliens

Cryptids are fictional urban legend monsters

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Well the cool project without government funds (yet) is now closed. They raised half the money sellling community bonds and the other half through a couple nonprofit housing funds.

https://www.bcbusiness.ca/industrie...housing-crisis/

They are cool as hell. It’s Lindsay’s first project and she was so excited yesterday signing things she hugged like every person in our office twice

Now we have to get through entitlement and get construction funds and such but honestly like 80% of npos never even make it this far and even if they can’t redevelop into housing and just sell the property back into commercial sector they now have so much clout they will be able to do other things as well

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Voodoofly posted:

Well the cool project without government funds (yet) is now closed. They raised half the money sellling community bonds and the other half through a couple nonprofit housing funds.

They are cool as hell. It’s Lindsay’s first project and she was so excited yesterday signing things she hugged like every person in our office twice

Now we have to get through entitlement and get construction funds and such but honestly like 80% of npos never even make it this far and even if they can’t redevelop into housing and just sell the property back into commercial sector they now have so much clout they will be able to do other things as well

Awesome!

Side Q did you follow the social housing campaign in Seattle and the current push to actually fund it? https://www.letsbuildsocialhousing.org/

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

shwinnebego posted:

Awesome!

Side Q did you follow the social housing campaign in Seattle and the current push to actually fund it? https://www.letsbuildsocialhousing.org/

I knew they had a new program that was going up but I haven’t followed that closely. If it’s like most of these go then I assume even with the tax to fund approved someone, probably like the mayor, will sue and tie it up in courts for a bit and then refuse to spend the funds even if they are able to collect them.

At least that was how it goes in SF so I might be jaded

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer

Voodoofly posted:

I watched an essay on stuff like this! Awesome job

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Here y'all are from my wedding

So that's Kloaked on the left, me on the right. The bowtie had become a hinderance by that point.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Spoonsy posted:

So that's Kloaked on the left, me on the right. The bowtie had become a hinderance by that point.

Y'all are doing some v nice jumps to the left and steps to the right

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Spoonsy posted:

what's the building?

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Brooklyn Botanic Garden's event space

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Spoonsy posted:

Wow windshipper it’s insanely hosed up we don’t have a photo like this

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Spoonsy posted:

Brooklyn Botanic Garden's event space

it looks super nice

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

i think i might legit have 300 posts today now

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.

ilmucche posted:

i think i might legit have 300 posts today now

Just wait for Neverhelm to swoop in and make ten thousand posts

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Spoonsy posted:

Astounding.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Spoonsy posted:

It is me! I am one of the six!

scoompoost

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Rad pic

I may dip out for a bit as it’s a long weekend and honestly it’s been like a month and a half of bullshit at work so I want to go celebrate with the people who closed and forget about the bullshit

I think dominoes is a better vote today. Despite that sentence I also think some of the people dom called out are probably better votes today as well

I don’t think Tom or Pmom are scum but I’m going to vote tom over pmom if it comes to it.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I hope you get to enjoy some well deserved rest, Voodoo.

I also don't particularly see the Tom or PMom cases but I've barely been here the last couple of irl days and don't have any alternatives of my own to present. I am told with conviction that we are doing pretty ok in terms of raw numbers, though, so I think I'm also in the camp of just wanting to get the game day over with and apologizing later if we accidentally dunk town.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Voodoofly posted:

Rad pic

I may dip out for a bit as it’s a long weekend and honestly it’s been like a month and a half of bullshit at work so I want to go celebrate with the people who closed and forget about the bullshit

I think dominoes is a better vote today. Despite that sentence I also think some of the people dom called out are probably better votes today as well

I don’t think Tom or Pmom are scum but I’m going to vote tom over pmom if it comes to it.

happy easter dude, it's a 4 day-er for you isn't it?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

PhantomMuzzles posted:

Just wait for Neverhelm to swoop in and make ten thousand posts

wouldn't object, whatever prize i get is wasted after tonight

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Ok this day is boring now. ##vote Tom Tucker

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

saladscooper posted:

that's -2

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Spoonsy posted:

saladscooper posted:

Tough crowd.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

##vote tucker

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I was about to hammer tom, but that would make like the whole game day be over easter weekend. If we let this day actually drag until tomorrow, we'll at least have 1 day after the holiday to actually read?

nah

##vote Tom Tucker

:redhammer:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

7. Twilight Posting is allowed after hammer for the remaining living players. You may continue to post until the day-ending Mod posts begin. Relatedly, If someone is day killed/someone attempts a day kill please bring it to my attention and continue posting. Fake day actions will be punished.

it's been fun folks, bye bye

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ilmucche posted:

7. Twilight Posting is allowed after hammer for the remaining living players. You may continue to post until the day-ending Mod posts begin. Relatedly, If someone is day killed/someone attempts a day kill please bring it to my attention and continue posting. Fake day actions will be punished.

it's been fun folks, bye bye

you should cop me in case scum try to do something swervy like shoot diqnol

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Don't do it Mucche!

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.

PhantomMuzzles posted:

Don't do it Mucche!

He knows he's caught anyway and he's trying to stop you from catching someone else! Go somewhere secret tonight

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

i might just do nothing and embrace my passage into spec chat

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Pinterest Mom posted:

diqnol is day sk and i'll be sad when he joins me in spec chat in the morning

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Who are you thinking of killing tonight, Pmuzz?

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
Final Votecount for Day 5 :redhammer:

Tom Tucker (17): yuming, zzyzx, PhantomMuzzles, yuming, PhantomMuzzles, Diqnol, yuming, Dexanth, STING 64, shwinnebego, Maugrim, AFancyQuestionMark, PhantomMuzzles, lih, merk, mycelia, AnonymousNarcotics, Spoonsy, Dexanth, Sandwolf, saladscooper, Pinterest Mom, Grandicap
Pinterest Mom (5): Sandwolf, Sandwolf, AFancyQuestionMark, ilmucche, Sandwolf, Sandwolf, Sandwolf, windshipper, CapitalistPig, Dominoes, Dexanth, Dexanth, AFancyQuestionMark, ilmucche, ilmucche, Dexanth, Grandicap, Sandwolf, Grandicap
AnonymousNarcotics (1): Rhymes With Clue
CapitalistPig (1): Pussy Quipped, Dexanth, shwinnebego, shwinnebego, Dexanth
Diqnol (1): shwinnebego, shwinnebego, Tom Tucker
Dominoes (1): Voodoofly
Pussy Quipped (1): Dhaes
Dexanth (1): saladscooper, CCKeane, Pinterest Mom, saladscooper, Pinterest Mom
yuming (0): windshipper, windshipper
Sandwolf (0): ilmucche, ilmucche, shwinnebego, PhantomMuzzles, shwinnebego, PhantomMuzzles
PhantomMuzzles (0): ilmucche, Sandwolf, ilmucche, ilmucche, ilmucche, Sandwolf
death cob for cutie (0): Dominoes, saladscooper, Dominoes, saladscooper
Rhymes With Clue (0): yuming, lih, yuming, lih
Voodoofly (0): ilmucche, ilmucche
windshipper (0): Pinterest Mom, yuming, yuming, Pinterest Mom
Dhaes (0): merk, Tom Tucker, merk, Tom Tucker

Not Voting (5): death cob for cutie, Jose Valasquez, My Second Re-Reg, NeverHelm, SporkChan

With 33 alive, it's 17 votes to execute. The current deadline is March 29th, 2024 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 2 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
Butyl Lithium is one of the strongest bases that is used in chemistry with a pKa of 50. To put this in perspective, water has a pKa of ~14 (like pure sodium hydroxide has a pH of 14), and each number is an order of magnitude. So it’s something to be treated seriously. It generally comes in a solution of hexanes as an easy enough to handle solution (unless you get the 10M solution which is like a viscous sludge and I’d rather not).

My most notable time using butyl lithium came when I was doing a scale up of a reaction. Some mildly acidic proton needed to be removed with a very strong base and then react with something else. For this reaction I needed ~50 mL of the butyl lithium solution. To remove this much liquid from a sealed bottle you must add in a backfilling line of an inert gas (nitrogen or argon if you have money) to replace the volume that you are removing from the bottle. While I was taking up the 50 mLs into my syringe about half way through no more butyl lithium solution was going into the syringe despite that there was enough in the bottle. I suspected a clog in my backfilling system so I decided to regroup and just put back the solution into the bottle so I wasn’t just holding 25 mL of a really strong base. Something happened here where after I finished my needle came apart from my syringe staying in the bottle, and started shooting out an arc of the butyl lithium solution in my hood. Fortunately my hood was clean so there was nothing for it to react to or start a fire. At its peak it got to maybe like 10 inches in the air, and lasted for like a minute. Alarming sure, but this ended up not being much of an issue due to my clean work space and that I closed the hood sash quickly. It was easy to clean up after the fact. We fixed our back filling lines, and an incident report was filed.

Tom Tucker, Lithium, VANILLA TOWN (Periodic table aligned) was voted out day 5

The event for today was the Let's Limit Lurking Program. This results in the player with the fewest posts (if they have fewer than 61 posts) being eliminated at the day 5 vote. Neverhelm had the fewest posts with 27.

Uranium was first discovered in 1789, and was named after the recently discovered planet. Uranium is most famous for its ability to undergo fission splitting into krypton and barium releasing massive amounts of energy. The energy of course was used to power the atomic bombs used to power the first atomic bomb “little boy” in 1945.

Neverhelm, TOWN FISSIONER, (Periodic Table aligned) was removed due to the Let's Limit Lurking Program on day 5.

quote:

You may target someone at night ROLEBLOCKING them. If the difference between your atomic numbers is an unclaimed power role both you and your target will gain that role as a power to use only on the following night.

It is now Night 5. Please submit night actions when you get the chance.

:science:

Token Female fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 29, 2024