Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tabasco_hijikata
Apr 12, 2024

Can you weaklings handle tabasco?

Made from tabasco peppers, vinegar and salt.

Tabasco products are sold in more than 195 countries and territories, and packaged in 36 languages and dialects.
What the gently caress is this?

This is not an LP in any way. I don't have the time to exhaustively make one so I'm making a bastardized commentary / unofficial thread of Super Robot Wars R. I will not be translating anything. Any form of understanding will be done by parsing through translation guides on the internet and awful machine translation. This is most definitely a blind playthrough as I don't remember ever going past stage 1 when I had last played the game. The purpose of this thread is to experience SRW R with this community.

What is Super Robot Wars?

It is a massive strategy RPG franchise focused on giant mecha from all walks of life fighting other giant mecha/monsters. Think Fire Emblem but with Mecha and way longer attack animations.

What is Super Robot Wars R about?

Super Robot Wars Reversal.

The game begins in the "Bad Future" where the events of Nadesico: Prince of Darkness and Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack have taken place.

Our hero, Papi Raul time travels to the past by accident later on and attempts to prevent Akito from becoming an edgelord as well as prevent Char from pulling off his insane axis drop poo poo.
But what about the people that won't exist from messing up the timeline? Does that make Raul responsible of mass murder?

What should I be aware of in regards to your style?

This is not an LP. I will not be shoving screenshots down your throat. I will use screenshots economically.
Units will be commented on a scenario by scenario basis. (What I think of it, is it useless, is it cool looking.. is it on the main roster.. etc)
If the whole Gundam Wing team shows up as reinforcements on scenario 140 - I will not comment on them all.
I will be constantly editing my opening and second post to include content as I see fit such as mechanics / characters / .. etc.
I will also be watching Gear Fighter Dendoh, Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz and Neo Getter vs. Shin Getter Robo as I go through the game. So expect commentaries on the episodes I watch.

Series included?
Banpresto Originals
Martian Successor Nadesico: The Prince of Darkness

I will be adding onto this as I progress. Scenario by scenario.
Holy gently caress you're lazy..
..hm? Did you say something? Anyways -

Your Super Robot Wars Experience?
I've been a fan since the release of Super Robot Wars D. However, I've not beat them all and only finished a select few. My favorite is SRW W.

What truly pulled me in altogether was when I stumbled upon a SRW Alpha 3 - GONG AMV during the early Youtube days (think 2006-2008).

Your First Super Robot Wars Banger?

SRW A - Mizu no Hoshi Ai Wo Komete (Yes.. the one for the GBA.)

Aiming for any secrets?
Definitely going to go for Master Asia (G Gundam) and High Mobility Sarena (Prince Emo Akito).

Update Frequency?
I'm aiming to do 1 - 2 scenarios per week. 3 at most if time permits.

I will add the first scenario by today/tomorrow! Prepare yourself for Papi Raul's adventure and his fight against Duminass with the help of Team Reversal.

The Journey
Scenario 1: Trial Weapon

Nadesico B Route
Scenario 2: Martian Successors

tabasco_hijikata fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tabasco_hijikata
Apr 12, 2024

Tabasco products are sold in more than 195 countries and territories, and packaged in 36 languages and dialects.
<Our Main Roster>
Banpresto Originals
Papi Raul
- Pilot of the Excellence (Frames Striker / Gunner / Flyer / Diver / Cosmo Driver / Lightning)

Nadesico: Prince of Darkness

- Pilot of the Black Sarena (Has 2 to 3 Lifebars depending on if you get High Mobility Black Sarena)
- Wields the badass Black Sarena theme.

tabasco_hijikata fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 14, 2024

tabasco_hijikata
Apr 12, 2024

Scenario 1: Trial Weapon

The game immediately introduces us to some of the original cast (Raul & co). It appears that they're testing out the Time Flow Engine - there's no room for error as they're on a tight budget. The failure of the mission will mean the death of the research behind the TF Engine. We get to see the Excellence Frames in action (S / G / C). Right now we're in the "Bad Future" story arc. I think it's set during the aftermath of Char's Counterattack and Nadesico: Prince of Darkness.

Striker Frame - Melee
Gunner Frame - Range
Cosmo Driver Frame - I'm assuming mobility.

There's I believe 3 more frames (4 if we count Fiona's Excellence Eternal.. Fiona is the Heroine of SRW R but won't be featured as we chose to go with Papi Raul who will be getting the Lightning Frame instead)

Unsurprisingly, things get awry as the dummy units we've been testing our firepower on go berserk and start attack the heroes. While this is happening, we get some odd monologue coming in from an unknown figure. I have no idea who it is.

Shut your Nietzsche rear end up and help Papi Raul!

Our first battle starts against 6 enemy units. We're stuck with the Cosmo Driver frame for this battle. I move Raul to the farthest southwest tile of the base to take advantage of the +20 HP/EN Regen bonus. It's also the wise move as the farthest enemy units won't be able to reach Papi Raul on the first turn.
Focus is good to use on the 2nd turn as it gives us a 30% evasion increase for a turn.

Finally on the 3rd turn we get some reinforcements in the form of Nadesico crew and Ra Kailum crew. But loving hell, Papi Raul gets surrounded by more enemy units at the base.

Don't worry.. Daddy Amuro is coming!

It's been a very long time since I last heard the "warning" sound that pops up every time you move the Aestivalis out of range from the Nadesico B. Brings back memories.

In preparation for the enemy's 3rd turn, I use focus another time for Papi Raul incase they all gang up on him. Fortunately, most of your units in this stage are very mobile so they aren't likely to get hit.

It's an easy mission. At the end, you're immediately given a choice whether to tag along with either the Nadesico B or Ra Kailum. I'll be covering both routes. Most likely I'll finish one route and then cover the other one so as not to break the narrative flow. We'll go with the Nadesico B route first.

One thing that sucks is you can't skip battle animations midway. This sucks if you've been spoiled by the QOL features of modern SRW games. Thankfully we don't need to upgrade weapons individually. I think that was in SRW A. (Now that was an inconvenience.)

Mech of the Scenario: Excellence Cosmo Driver

Attack Animations from Original Generation 2

Very mobile - decent design I guess. Not as cool as purple Huckebein.

Character of the Scenario: Papi Raul (Raul Gureden)

BGM: Over the Time Flow

Our main protagonist. In the SRW R continuity, Fiona doesn't exist. The Hero/Heroines are two different individuals. They are twins in the Original Generation continuity. Don't know how I feel about him at the moment. Will update this section as I see his character develop throughout the game.
Don't really care for his theme though.. ain't much of a banger. It does give me Megaman X vibes though.

SRW School Lesson 1: Tile Bonuses
Listen up lads. Certain tiles have bonuses that give HP / EN regen, so take advantage of them. End of lesson.

GEAR Fighter Dendoh (Episode 1: The First Day - Dendoh Launches!)

My first time watching Dendoh. I'm a fan already due to the 90s animation style. It's such a contrast to some of the early 2000s animation style. (Actually I'm hella stupid. This aired during 2000-2001 but it still reminds me of the 90s flair) Seems very fast paced too.

tabasco_hijikata fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 14, 2024

tabasco_hijikata
Apr 12, 2024

Scenario 2: Martian Successors (Nadesico B Route)

Scenario introduces the concept of Boson Jumps - a phenomena that allows for the teleportation to great distances. We about to Boson Jump to Amaterasu, a space colony.
It appears we'll be going through the first 25 minutes of Nadesico: Prince of Darkness' plot right away. High Mobility Black Sarena about to debut soon!

Weeeeee! *We appear in the middle of some battle*

-incoming comm from Amaterasu-

It's chaos right now. We got Ryoko Chan from Nadesico chasing after edgelord Akito whilst the Nadesico villains take over Amaterasu.
Our heroes join Ryoko and the battle begins right away with unmanned droids. Ruri informs Papi Raul that the Aestivalis units can't move too far away from the mothership so he'll have to take care of the enemies that are out of range.
Not being able to skip animations partway is crazyyyyyy.

Papi Raul is using the Strike Frame for this scenario, and he's wrecking poo poo up! Papi is unstoppable. *cough* also cause I maxed his upgrade using max money code *cough* *cough* I ain't got time as I'm old *cough*.

I'm slowly making my way through the map cause these fuckers ain't moving!
Papi Raul is having a fun time. He's in love with the Strike frame. I'd be too by just running deep into enemy lines and drilling everyone to death. So far the battles are going well. Most of my units are mobile and the Aestivalis units dodge everything.
Not to mention we have the Nadesico B tanking everything. Since the enemy units just focus on Nadesico B, I just let it defend most of the time and attack only if it's able to finish an enemy unit off.

Nadesico theme really brings back memories. I haven't heard it in a minute!
But the Aestivalis warning sounds are starting to get old.

After annihilating the first enemy wave, the Black Sarena shows up. The main Nadesico villains show up as well - it's Edgelord showtime!
Ayo WTF??? Where is the Black Sarena BGM? No way they didn't include it... -
Ayo wtf again? These new enemy units are pretty drat strong. 6000HP and highly mobile at that.

This is actually a pretty tough stage for it to be the second scenario. Even the Black Sarena isn't much of a help. Wtf Akito???? But it's all good. Papi Raul is tanking everything and slaughtering anyone stupid enough to attack him. Honestly I think I'm going to stick with the Strike frame for now as opposed to the Cosmo Driver frame. It's a more fun unit to use.

The enemy boss unit keeps focusing on the playboy Saburouta. They seem to have history together. He's not too much of a threat though. Just spam focus and gang up on him.

After the battle, Akito leaves and our heroes are introduced to Ryoko. Meanwhile, Bright and his crew are fighting Neo Zeon forces on their end. He's letting us handle the Martian Successors. (The Nadesico villains)

Mech of the Scenario: Excellence Striker

Attack Animations from OGG

Good poo poo. Dive into enemy lines and wreck poo poo up. It's got some range too. I like it.

Character of the Scenario: Akito Tenkawa

BGM

I don't get the hate. Leave my boy alone. Black Sarena theme rocks! This is a terrible picture of my boy but whatever.

SRW School Lesson 2: Super Robot / Real Robot
Super Robots are the big rear end mecha that are much tankier and less mobile than their real counterparts. (Mazinger Z ; Daitarn 3 ; Voltes V)
Real Robots are the more mobile and dragonfly counterparts, annoying enemy units by dodging every attack imaginable. Much much weaker though. Cannot tank worth for poo poo. (Gundam)

Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo (Episode 1: Go!! Neo Getter Robo!)

Liked the first episode. I think I like this version of Hayato moreso than the Armageddon counterpart. Musashi taking out Manhattan with him is crazy collateral.

tabasco_hijikata fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 14, 2024