Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/63759/super-supportive
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Sleyca

Royal Road Testimonials:

Zerus - All sizzle and no steak

quote:

This reads like a worldbuilding project. The main character is simply boring. His dedication to supporting role is the only interesting part about him.
His powers have supposedly unlimited potential.
Unortunately, the main character is strongly disincentivized from actually upgrading it. After half a million words, his power is upgraded ONCE. And that upgrade was not even significant. It was mostly a prerequisite for future upgrades. You will have to wait 2-5 business years for that, probably.
And the MC uses the power in the least creative way possible. Which is by design, as it turns out, because "it's not a cheater's power".
There's also a lot of tropes that I personally despise.
Sentient annoying system (Thankfully the story has at most 2-3 interactions).
The magic works by the rules of language, not physics or math. That means conceptual stuff, magic working off of vibes, powers woking or not depending on the definition of words.
Aliens that are just quirky humans.
Excessive interludes.
I'm mostly talking about negatives, because I just decided to drop it after 3 chapters of side character childhood flashback interludes.
Also, by the way, there are way too many side characters who turn out to be actually super important.
Now, I do think that the magic system is interesting. If only the main character wasn't railroaded into a single ability. Or was allowed to be creative with it.
In conclusion, the story had potential for people who enjoy character progression and interesting magic systems. Lost that potential over the course of chapters 39-100.
It still has potential for people who enjoy stories with a lot of worldbuilding, characters with different cultures, personalities, and tragic backstories.

WerewolfOfPride - The most slow paced story on RR

quote:

I usually love superhero stories, I really do. I love profession stories as well. This story should have everything I love. It’s just… moving at a glacial pace and little happens.

Like the most exciting part in the very long 40 chapters is the MC getting an unwilling ride in a car. That’s it. There’s so little action and where there’s the stakes feel so insignificant this story just doesn’t make me want to red the next chapter. I mean there’s a whole chapter about the MC getting a costume as a waiter basically, the conversations drag on and on and on and nothing happens.

It’s worse than real life. More tedious at least. The prose is good and the grammar is almost perfect but the story lacks any tension and definely should have the progression tag removed because there was barely any in 600+ pages.

gdbru - Bait and switch

quote:

Story starts off slow, but with some inherent momentum as the world gets explored and the MC has his first big adventure.

Then the story just .... stops progressing. Side characters take over, too much attention is paid to tiny, mundane actions. There hasn't been anything of significance in the last 30-40 chapters. Feels like a different and worse book that the author started writing halfway through. All that being said, the prose quality is high and the worldbuilding is compelling enough that I tried to stick it out. I can see why it's ranked as high as it is on this site, based on the first 40ish chapters.

Slow burn is one thing, but this story is out cold.

Rascalf - Good writing but bad storytelling

quote:

The story has good grammar, dialogue, and prose. That was the only reason I could push through to this point, but I couldn't take it beyond that.

It's a snoozefest, and nothing interesting happens this far in the story. At least there should've been some sense of a lingering threat or something on stake, but no. It's all just worldbuilding and nothing more than that.

However, I like how well the author foreshadows. Keep that up!

Alden wanted to be a superhero, and he got chosen. Yah! But I lost interest after that.

Also, the teenagers in this book are very unrealistic. I like how this author describes emotions so well and rationally, but most teenagers pumped with hormones are anything but rational. They don't think like that!!!

shirunei fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

the super supportive state of the book barn