Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Get on the grind set. gently caress the boss to get ahead. Hang in there. Blackmail is an effective tool. Work smarter not harder. It's important that the boss can see you busy to justify their existence, so no you don't get to work at home. You should do uber/doordash etc. during your lunch break. Don't get sick, getting sick can be expensive. AI might not be as good as you, but it also doesn't ask for time off or nearly as much money.

edit: Just to be clear that's working for doordash not ordering it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
nice try FBI

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i dont have a boss i think but i do get threatening emails time to time

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I work from home and I get paid way too much. Theory busted

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Working smarter not harder is real and a good idea OP

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

I got my last several jobs because I'm a likable white guy who knows people in higher positions than me that have gotten me jobs because I'm a likable white guy and I'm way out of my depth but nobody cares because I'm a likable white guy

So yeah I dunno it has worked for me so far. I think more people just need to be more of a likable white guy

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

jobs are for idiots and deadbeats.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Everything you just described is meritocracy though, OP :confused:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

Everything you just described is meritocracy though, OP :confused:

The best posters are the ones who should be doing the posting while the rest fight for their entertainment.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Duck and Cover posted:

The best posters are the ones who should be doing the posting while the rest fight for their entertainment.

I'm going to say what everyone else is thinking: what happened buddy talk to us about it

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm glad meritocracy isn't real cause I'm pretty loving useless tbh.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm glad meritocracy isn't real cause I'm pretty loving useless tbh.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

yeah, high school was rough, op.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

What we live in is more like an Idiocracy!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

if you got a dumb rear end co-worker, like i mean just like frequently loving poo poo up real real bad, is it ethical to leave them enough rope to hang themselves and let them get fired

cause I’ve done that a few times and that’s always a good opp to be like “hey I’m gonna be doing X Y n Z now that so-and-so isn’t here so I need like $200 more a week, let’s make that happen”

not so much working my way up as giving the idiots the tools to work they way down nawmean

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Just be born rich. Easy peasy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I didn't get that far in your post, but yeah! gently caress the boss! No gods, no masters!

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
If this isn't a meritocracy, explain Matt Gaetz!

Clearly his resume of "being born" and "using his name to get out of DUIs" is exactly what Alexander Hamilton meant when he said, "The best will rise above their station, that's what I was taught, and if we pick the wrong leaders we throw away our shot!"

I defy anyone to look at Matt Gaetz's handsome face, listen to his powerful speaking style, and think for even a moment that he's a bubble-faced loving moron who would struggle to manage a gas station who got his position entirely due to nepotism and his disgusting, disgusting loving dad.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

JonathonSpectre posted:

If this isn't a meritocracy, explain Matt Gaetz!

Clearly his resume of "being born" and "using his name to get out of DUIs" is exactly what Alexander Hamilton meant when he said, "The best will rise above their station, that's what I was taught, and if we pick the wrong leaders we throw away our shot!"

I defy anyone to look at Matt Gaetz's handsome face, listen to his powerful speaking style, and think for even a moment that he's a bubble-faced loving moron who would struggle to manage a gas station who got his position entirely due to nepotism and his disgusting, disgusting loving dad.

Best av, av text, and post combo in a while. Knuckles.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

I mean there are some pretty dumb folks out there.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I remember the first time I met a dumb jock frat boy from Harvard, and I was like, wow, I've been lied to my whole life.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
You gotta organize then the boss gotta give you a ride cause your contract it does matter how incompetent you are, it is truly the American Dream

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Maybe you just don't have any merit op.

Just a thought

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

BUG JUG posted:

Maybe you just don't have any merit op.

Just a thought

I don't but it's okay I don't want to work.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I figured this out at 16 when I started working. Like, hey, how come all those ~private school~ kids are so slow and do so little and also they're all apparently dumb as rocks and they seek rear end-kissing praise for moving one bag of leaves. It's like they think they get full credit just for showing up--OOOoOHHHHHH

Then later I started working in the suburbs and OH MY GOD

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ProperCauldron posted:

I figured this out at 16 when I started working. Like, hey, how come all those ~private school~ kids are so slow and do so little and also they're all apparently dumb as rocks and they seek rear end-kissing praise for moving one bag of leaves. It's like they think they get full credit just for showing up--OOOoOHHHHHH

Then later I started working in the suburbs and OH MY GOD

Hey rude! I like how private schools cost so much and then will harass you forever asking for more.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

redshirt posted:

I remember the first time I met a dumb jock frat boy from Harvard, and I was like, wow, I've been lied to my whole life.

every elite university everywhere is filled with really smart kids and really really stupid ones.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Get on the grind set. gently caress the boss to get ahead. Hang in there. Blackmail is an effective tool. Work smarter not harder. It's important that the boss can see you busy to justify their existence, so no you don't get to work at home. You should do uber/doordash etc. during your lunch break. Don't get sick, getting sick can be expensive. AI might not be as good as you, but it also doesn't ask for time off or nearly as much money.

Just to be clear that's working for doordash not ordering it.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

The Management posted:

I work from home and I busted

ftfy

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

NoiseAnnoys posted:

every elite university everywhere is filled with really smart kids and really really stupid ones.

Even MIT?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

Even MIT?

MIT knows the game, they can't jocksports with nerds, the rowing team needs beef not brains.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

NoiseAnnoys posted:

Yeah, then you go into white collar professions and realise smart / hardworking doesn't get you any further and it's vibes based management all the way to the top

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I’m glad meritocracy is a lie because I have very few merits.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

have you tried moving to rapture op?

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Ofc meritocracy is a lie thats why my success strategy is trying to become a drug dealer to celebrities

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

have you tried moving to rapture op?

Well they do call me Big Daddy.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mistle posted:

MIT knows the game, they can't jocksports with nerds, the rowing team needs beef not brains.

What if they had an eSports SEC?

naem
May 29, 2011

just work hard to develop yourself to be technically proficient, make yourself useful for your employer, try to be a team player and don’t expect too much

we’re all just earning some money to live including the business owners they don’t really want to work either

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Of course the meritocracy is real, you'd get better results if you were more skilled at complaining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So I had this high pressure job way up at this big company and they hire this guy who looks like Christian Bale. Just the whole package, 6'3, jacked but not overly so, dressed like a G, slicked backed hair, and so on. Quality resume on paper, but he was either dumb as poo poo, OR, realized how hot he was and we'd all just work for him.

So I did all his work, of course, hating the system and THE MAN.