Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
I am here to apologize to Rotor for my rude comments yesterday against Palm. I fully deserved my probation for denigrating and besmirching something that I know you hold dear. I will try and post better in the future.

I am sorry Rotor.

This thread can be used also to appreciate all things Palm or for others to apologize to Rotor.

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
palm owned and we'd all be better off if it was the peak of mobile computing

i mean ffs you used to get a month of battery out of 2 AAAs, or if you charged your m515, like two months per charge

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also webos was really good and what LG has done to it is a travesty

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

AlbertFlasher posted:

I am here to apologize to Rotor for my rude comments yesterday against Palm. I fully deserved my probation for denigrating and besmirching something that I know you hold dear. I will try and post better in the future.

I am sorry Rotor.

This thread can be used also to appreciate all things Palm or for others to apologize to Rotor.

Thank you.

It takes a big man to admit when they're wrong. I appreciate and accept your apology, Albert.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

palm was ok but made a ton of unforced errors by trying to be both microsoft and apple at the same time

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

palm was ok but made a ton of unforced errors by trying to be both microsoft and apple at the same time

the portmortem that ?verge? did was pretty good.

fun fact: i interviewed with Jeff Hawkins at his company after palm, what a great guy

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i have never used a palm device

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

thats just so sad

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I miss my palm centro. I’ve been thinking of getting a palm iii or whatever the last AAA model was to play with

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

imo the best plain Palm PDA thing was the Sony SL10

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335375526272?itmmeta=01HXCHV7QX8ZEFVTPX7RAB0JXE

the jog dial was (and still is) an amazingly good ui widget, and having removable storage was great.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

stuff needs more dials, imo. I kept hoping sony would add one to the playstation controller but nope, we got a useless touchpad instead

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

though should have tried a bit harder to be microsoft when it came to updating technology. as should apple have at one point. so much energy and money poured into the nerd delusion of clean slate redesigns.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i thought this thread was for Rotor to apologize to all the innocent posters he's wronged

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Roosevelt posted:

i thought this thread was for Rotor to apologize to all the innocent posters he's wronged

hey i already probated myself for the time i wrongly probated you, what more do you want

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

i have given up hope that rotor will come to the light and truth about Airplane!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i did borrow my friends palm for a month in high school it was pretty fun wumpuses were hunted

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i had a palm m125 at one point but i dunno what happened to it

still have the palm-branded 16mb sd card for it though.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
marry rotor, gently caress Captain Foo, kill graph

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

a friend of mine loved his palm treo so much. I think he went through three of them in total, replacing them when they broke with used ebay treos. ebay eventually ran out, so for the last year or so before the cell towers stopped supporting whatever band the thing operated on he was rocking a treo with a cracked screen that somehow got beer inside of it

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
rotor? more like blowtor

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

rotor? more like blowtor

more like ... best bi ... dork jerk! who smells bad!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Asleep Style posted:

a friend of mine loved his palm treo so much. I think he went through three of them in total, replacing them when they broke with used ebay treos. ebay eventually ran out, so for the last year or so before the cell towers stopped supporting whatever band the thing operated on he was rocking a treo with a cracked screen that somehow got beer inside of it

and far from alone.

like, it is usually bike shedding to put the failure of a company down to some tech choice, but as i alluded to above, if palm had just stuck the course and managed a windows 95 and a windows xp to the windows 3.1 of palmos they'd still be around. they were genuinely ahead of the iphone in a way that other pda/phone companies were not.

i'd also note that microsoft could have made the windows mobile play work (despite being *way* *way* behind palm in actual users and user satisfaction) had they not caught the same idiotic "here's the clean slate" bug

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

palmos was, by all accounts, an absolutely shitshow interally. I talked to one of the Blazer devs (palmos web browser) and it was like talking to a disaster survivor.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.theverge.com/2012/6/5/3062611/palm-webos-hp-inside-story-pre-postmortem. thats the article i was talkin about

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rotor posted:

palmos was, by all accounts, an absolutely shitshow interally. I talked to one of the Blazer devs (palmos web browser) and it was like talking to a disaster survivor.

yeah, but windows 3.1 was absolute nonsense as well. and whille windows 95 was an insane achievement, it was more an achievement of hard committal to getting the work done than it was arcane engineering.

like, the brief should just have been "there's palmos running and all old apps get to enjoy that, and then we have more modern stuff to the side. it is fine if it is a bit messy and sometimes breaks, we'll do this again in 5 years"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, but windows 3.1 was absolute nonsense as well. and whille windows 95 was an insane achievement, it was more an achievement of hard committal to getting the work done than it was arcane engineering.

like you're not wrong but there's a lot of differences between these two things, and highly compressed timetables and super brutal competition are a few of them.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rotor posted:

like you're not wrong but there's a lot of differences between these two things, and highly compressed timetables and super brutal competition are a few of them.

palm was *so* early though. and to be clear i don't blame the engineers, that was business decisions, had they committed 50% of the money they spent on other nonsense to just paying a good team of engineers good money to revise properly they'd have gotten it done.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a for the job proven engineering team for that matter, the arm migration was a good chunk of that kind of work well done

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

palm was *so* early though.

oh i think they definitely coasted for a while but when real competition showed up it was very fast and really tough

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yo rotor, check this poo poo out

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is getting real off-topic (but i have no particular apologies for rotor, so i have little choice), but nothing in tech pisses me off as much as good useful work pissed away for no reason. good work is uncommon, and just from where i am viewing things the pissing away is real common.

a real poo poo company i worked for a couple of years back built one really good 1.0 product, through excessive efforts of good people. it got licensed a fair bit, it worked, made bank, and the management just went "well, now we're building 2.0, with a different team, making every decision anew and incompatibly". that turned to poo poo, no one really got a payday, all of it is now pretty much in the winds, except the customers doing vital infrastructure things with the decaying irreplaceable 1.0 in one of the securest money-making industries in the world.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

gently caress yes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

quote:

Nevertheless, it's still basically a Palm, and you'll still need a stylus.

This is how you tell if people have used palm devices much. You absolutely do not need a stylus. Your fingers work fine and you have fingernails for when they dont.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

gently caress yes

that guy runs a gopher server for a bunch of old tools, one of his regular projects is making a gopher client for <x>

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

that guy runs a gopher server for a bunch of old tools, one of his regular projects is making a gopher client for <x>

its all comin together

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i wanted one of those so bad when they were announced and was bummed when it was canceled, i had no idea they eventually revived their plans

i'm not so sure it'd want one today lol, but a palmos device that size in a more traditional case would own. maybe make the screen a bit bigger, color, and make the whole device sort of like, idk, late 90s beeper sized but thinner

hmm. maybe a little smaller than those REX PCMCIA card pdas, but with the same size display and a minimal bezel and a jog wheel cribbed from the clie on the side

e: i know rotor is going to hate to hear this product's name but *ahem* actually palm phone PVG100 sized would be pretty great tbh. just give it the palmos buttons instead of the oled thing, add a jog wheel and volume rocker to the side and an ir blaster, and make the case out of metal instead of glass

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 8, 2024

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

this belongs in the thread for folks who haven't seen it
https://dmitry.gr/?r=05.Projects&proj=27.%20rePalm

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

palm is just some anachronistic revisionist garbage, get that poo poo outta here

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

have you used a lucky goldstar tv? well, great news