Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2024/05/16/indiana-taco-burrito-sandwich/

Praveena Somasundram posted:

It’s a question that has stood the test of time — and one that fed a years-long legal battle in an Indiana city.

Are tacos considered sandwiches?

According to one judge in Fort Wayne, Ind., the answer is yes. And he says burritos are sandwiches, too.

Allen County Superior Court Judge Craig J. Bobay wrote in a ruling Monday that tacos and burritos are “Mexican-style sandwiches.” Bobay made the decision in a case reviewing whether a restaurant, “Famous Taco,” could open a new location at a Fort Wayne shopping center.

The zoning policy for the property prohibits fast food, but allows exceptions for restaurants whose primary business is to sell “made-to-order” or Subway-style sandwiches. A city commission denied the request.

But Famous Taco, Bobay ruled, is allowed at the shopping center because it would serve “Mexican-style sandwiches,” and the zoning policy “does not restrict potential restaurants to only American cuisine-style sandwiches.” Hypothetically, other restaurants that serve made-to-order items, including “Greek gyros, Indian naan wraps or Vietnamese banh mi,” would also be allowed, Bobay wrote in his decision.

Attorneys for the Fort Wayne Plan Commission and the resident trying to open the Famous Taco restaurant in the shopping center did not immediately respond to requests for comment Wednesday.

Wrap it up, hot dogailures (which also makes it a sandwich).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Finally some sanity in the courts.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Mexican-style sandwiches exist and are called tortas. A judge from Indiana is not an authority on this topic, though I agree with the ruling to allow a taco shop to open.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Finally something worth protesting. Finally an appropriate conduit to channel my latent moral outrage.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Mexican-style sandwiches exist and are called tortas. .

I am ashamed to admit I didn't fully realize what a torta was until recently a friend got one. It was amazing. And huge, could have fed four people.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Cool zoning policies over there in Indiana.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Would totally frequent a place that has tacos, tortas, gyros, naan, and banh mi *drools*

gently caress this sandwich classification, just gimme dat food.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Mexican-style sandwiches exist and are called tortas. A judge from Indiana is not an authority on this topic, though I agree with the ruling to allow a taco shop to open.

Food truck tortas kick rear end

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It'll be a cold day in hell before I recognize a Fort Wayne Indiana judge's opinion on tacos.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Definitely need a supreme court ruling on the subject.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Imagine Chinatown's and/or dad gay.so what's reaction to this

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

numberoneposter posted:

Definitely need a supreme court ruling on the subject.

Not our current Supreme Court.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I’m glad that tacos now have all the same rights and responsibilities as other sandwiches.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
what if you put pizza in a taco shell, i bet the idiot judge didn't even think of that

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

wasted opportunity to open up a torta shop. bring some culture to those pasty corn fed gringos

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

in bidens woke america a stromboli is a sandwich, you believe it?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

that zoning was probably written specifically so subway, and only subway could ply their filthy trade

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Buce posted:

that zoning was probably written specifically so subway, and only subway could ply their filthy trade

Turns out subway not Pizza hut have what it takes to win the fastfood wars.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

It’s a stupid rule. Couldn’t McDonald’s technically argue that they serve hamburger sandwiches therefore should be allowed a franchise in that mall?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

EorayMel posted:

Imagine Chinatown's and/or dad gay.so what's reaction to this

lol

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Can't wait to see what Brett Kavanaugh, has to say about this

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Buce posted:

they are artists bitch

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

phosdex posted:

Finally some sanity in the courts.

:hmmyes:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Broke: tacos are sandwiches

Woke: that zoning law is stupid

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

true neutral is "who cares what a sandwich is? Just eat it"

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Dr. Steve Brule recognizes sushi is a sandwich. A real doctor!

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Bad Purchase posted:

what if you put pizza in a taco shell, i bet the idiot judge didn't even think of that

tacos are pizzas. there's only one 'base' or bread-like component, it's just folded. a sandwich has 2 discrete breads. it's an assembly between two bread compenents. a hotdog is a pizza. a hamburger is a sandwich.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

R.L. Stine posted:

tacos are pizzas. there's only one 'base' or bread-like component, it's just folded. a sandwich has 2 discrete breads. it's an assembly between two bread compenents. a hotdog is a pizza. a hamburger is a sandwich.

what corn based bread have you eaten?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

R.L. Stine posted:

naaaah. so you're telling me that if i took a plain rear end regular slice of white bread, put some butter, ham and cheese on that bitch, then folded it in half that i wouldn't be making a sandwich?

gtfo with that nonsense

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

R.L. Stine posted:

so if a bahn mi is on a demibaguette sliced such that a bread-hinge remains, it’s not a sandwich? no. madness.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I believe if it has a spine connecting the encompassing bread, it's classed as an edible book.

Just taste that delicious literature!

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

R.L. Stine posted:

An open-faced sandwich is still a sandwich :colbert:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

I believe if it has a spine connecting the encompassing bread, it's classed as an edible book.

Just taste that delicious literature!

you and I should talk about books

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what corn based bread have you eaten?

I'm American so....

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

you and I should talk about books

:hai:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I don't recall the Taco being mentioned in THE CONSTITUTION

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

I don't recall the Taco being mentioned in THE CONSTITUTION

Mexicans didn't exist in 1776

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
banh mis are definitely classical sandwiches, but lol at this activist judge trying to make a gray area for his favorite sandwich adjacent food