Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Hey,

lol, I'm a Gen Xer and I'm starting to realize that some idioms and metaphors that I take for granted and use in daily conversation don't land with younger people at all.

For example, I was talking about a "snake oil salesman" and a younger person was confused and asked me why someone would sell snake oil because aren't snakes endangered and rare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
If you know your onions, you're not gonna take any wooden nickels from anybody because you're a big six, OP.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I was talking to a early 20s guy who I'm pretty sure is decently intelligent, lives in a rural area, graduated from college, works in Seattle as a computer programming guy making games, is getting promoted etc

He actually said he had not heard of Sigmund Freud [I made a reference in a joke]

He was serious
Still can't get over it

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

EorayMel posted:

If you know your onions, you're not gonna take any wooden nickels from anybody because you're a big six, OP.

OK, that made me LOL.

I needed that.

Thank you

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

next time say it with more rizz grandpa

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Spinz posted:

I was talking to a early 20s guy who I'm pretty sure is decently intelligent, lives in a rural area, graduated from college, works in Seattle as a computer programming guy making games, is getting promoted etc

He actually said he had not heard of Sigmund Freud [I made a reference in a joke]

He was serious
Still can't get over it

How about "Couldn't care less"? I actually got into an argument with a younger person who "could care less" and I told them it was "couldn't care less."

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...
I really want to overcome the generation language barrier so I can communicate with everyone so please understand that when I give the 'hang ten' hand sign on trying to connect; I genuinely don't want to cause people to feel ostracized.

:gerty:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Remember Reader's Digest?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I went to a college party this past Friday and it was illuminating.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

tango alpha delta posted:

How about "Couldn't care less"? I actually got into an argument with a younger person who "could care less" and I told them it was "couldn't care less."

It's could of cared less hth (heart to heart)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

op sliding into a bird’s dms like “ahoy-hoy”

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

How do you do fellow kids fr fr mid no cap

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Mega64 posted:

It's could of cared less hth (heart to heart)

hth means hope this helps grandpa :rolleyes:

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
This thread is the cat's pajamas

But younger people wouldn't get that because everybody's pet sleeps naked now

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Bad Purchase posted:

op sliding into a bird’s dms like “ahoy-hoy”

young people wouldn't even interpret that as a mr. burns reference, let alone the real origin

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the big new phrase taking the kids by storm in my town is “cattywampus”

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I remember a time, my children, not just before cell phones, but before answering machines. A world where if you missed a call.... you missed a call, and had no idea perhaps. A world where no one knew where you were, or where they were.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
another geezer thread for fucks sake

why can't you nerds just age gracefully like i do

e:voted 2

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dee eight posted:

We'll need them in the future to maintain our massive war machines

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

dee eight posted:

I'm hoping that AI takes pity on us olds when Skynet finally kicks in.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Younger people don't understand that you didn't always have the Internet, or cell phones. They can't really appreciate what that was like

or that childhoods of living people predated Pokemon

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

i still don't know what the gently caress a skibidi toilet is or was

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

redshirt posted:

I went to a college party this past Friday and it was illuminating.

Did anyone talk or were they busy texting eachother?

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...
Hey younger people:

Y'all are pretty cool

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Parsley posted:

i do and it's loving hilarious

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

Did anyone talk or were they busy texting eachother?

I engaged many on the issues of the day, as I saw them. Early bed times, the new Matlock, fiber supplements.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Parsley posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WePNs-G7puA

e:lol, Garry's Mod made this possible.

e:this will get you up to speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELTPVlZAkk

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 20, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Someone @ work said FUBAR recently and a gen Z person asked "what does that old person slang mean"

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

deep dish peat moss posted:

Someone @ work said FUBAR recently and a gen Z person asked "what does that old person slang mean"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I am a 2nd degree Chef in Eggfu

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Is a person born in 78 a boomer or GenX?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

nullandvoid posted:

genx

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
cobain was born in 67

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

redshirt posted:

I engaged many on the issues of the day, as I saw them. Early bed times, the new Matlock, fiber supplements.

Star Trek and Stargate as well I hope

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

tango alpha delta posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WePNs-G7puA

e:lol, Garry's Mod made this possible.

e:this will get you up to speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELTPVlZAkk

And who said an old goon can't learn new memes.
Thank you. :)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

Star Trek and Stargate as well I hope

Nah. Conversations were brief. Palestine came up way too much for my liking.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

My daughter thinks our house is her house. When I pick her up from daycare she says we're going to "Junie's house." If I ask her if it's "Daddy's house," she responds "no, Junie's house."

So I asked her if it was her mortgage and she affirmed it was "Junie's mortgage."

We'll see about that after I turn off autopay and the bank comes calling for her to pay up.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

nullandvoid posted:

lol

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

nullandvoid posted:

Anyone older than 30 is a boomer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sophy Wackles posted:

Anyone older than 30 is a boomer.

Someone turning 30 this year was born in 1996 lol