Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Oh, it wasn't too large in objective terms, but losing the Baron's lover was a hugely symbolic slap in her face, so the restitution demanded was also large and symbolic.

Trust me, if you blew up the moon, it'd take a lot more than a dead empress to calm Maen down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
I would not blow up the moon. I would make a better one.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Just an apology for the update taking so drat long. I've just moved into a new place with no lovely neighbors or having my stuff vandalized etc. However the power company did some work to my neighborhood grid and I've lost the update and internet 4 times now.

They keep assuring me and the other houses on the block they've fixed it for sure this time but I may end up doing this all by phone at this rate!

If you see I've posted on SA its probably a short quote that I've edited to make a post from my phone. I haven't forgotten any of you so please bear with me!

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Well I hope the momentum hasn't been killed. If there's anything I missed or any questions I'll answer them.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I'm still up on the thread. Right now I'm waiting to see what Red, Mimsy, and the Earth Warden do.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Post is under construction, but getting late. Also, employed again starting monday, hurray.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
There needs to be a rap battle between Maen and Ignatz

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I'll just openly admit that I blew all my remaining Influence on that heal action. Even though it hurt everyone mechanically, the theme was 100% opposed to Platonis' very nature. Don't know what everyone else is up to, but I'm mostly waiting until next year unless I get provoked into using Attack or someone does something I need to block.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

I'm kind of waiting for Mr Fowl

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
I'm waiting to see how Red's thing is going to be resolved. If he gets into a fight this turn, I reckon that I would have to help him out.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Ok so we have Mr. Prokosch is done for the turn.
Mr. Fowl and Shogeton are good to go.(I think)
Vulin is waiting on the Red thing.

Waiting on?
Commoners - Heard not much from lately. If you're done can you post that you are for others to then not want to anticipate you?
Miltonslavemasta - Busy with job interviews
Jamezbfod - Busy with work
Megane - ??? Anything?

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
I've actually been waiting on a reply from Red and the Earth Warden.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

JamezBfod posted:

I've actually been waiting on a reply from Red and the Earth Warden.

Ah good. It should have answers now. Did I miss anything else for anyone else?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sorry. I've been busy with dentist things, and also devoid of ideas for what to do in this game.

As for the sword, I'll just pay the influence cost. It seemed to me that the conditions were met, but honestly I'm having a little trouble keeping up with everything that's happening. Godgames are quite a bit different from the roleplaying I'm used to, and I sort of feel like I'm not doing things correctly; maybe I ought to bow out and leave things to those with a bit more experience.

In any case, I'm done for this year.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

megane posted:

Sorry. I've been busy with dentist things, and also devoid of ideas for what to do in this game.

As for the sword, I'll just pay the influence cost. It seemed to me that the conditions were met, but honestly I'm having a little trouble keeping up with everything that's happening. Godgames are quite a bit different from the roleplaying I'm used to, and I sort of feel like I'm not doing things correctly; maybe I ought to bow out and leave things to those with a bit more experience.

Take your gimmick and run headlong into poo poo with it. There's no right way to play a godgame, dude, and you've been entertaining!

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
What deadmeat said. As long as you're following the mechanics there is no way to play it wrong. Honestly I thought you were doing pretty well. Nobody has really been messing with you, you got a fair few people to chip in on a, "I'm putting a team together" action. From my point of view you've been doing well. I've honestly been feeling my own posts keep being lackluster or coming out wrong. It happens sometimes.

Possible ideas:

As goddess of mysteries: There is a printing press. Come on.

You could create Fable-like Heroes to do good or ill in the world.

Elves could use a coming of age quest once I make them effectively immortal again.

Taking out the Dragon is going to be difficult, might take some effort and consideration.

Several parts of the world are virtually unknown to us. Maybe there is something covered by the fog of war that might interest you.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

megane posted:

You're doing just fine! I try to keep track of most things and I still have stuff fall through the cracks. It just would have been disservice to miltonslavemasta to discard everything Azariah did and arbitrarily move the sword. Take deadmeat and jamez's advice. Its what I'd be doing!

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
I still have my game to start and my Elf-immortality post to make but I'm stuck doing domestic stuff today. Might be able to get back into it tonight but I threw down for things that were holding us up.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I am turn done.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Okay I'm done. Put my heart into it, even.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
milton?

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
  • Ok so there's news, good news, and bad news.
    • The good news is that I'm working on the update and the Prime Ruleset works extremely well.

• The news is that I have found a DJ gig that will take up my Friday and Saturday evenings. Not a huge issue but it could have been worked around.

• The bad news is that my physical/mental health and real life issues are taking up a lot of my spare time.
      • Ok so what I need from everybody is:
      • If you're all still in. [Don't ruin your education, job opportunities or relationships just to play an internet game, I don't want the guilt!] (If I lose 3 of you I can't continue.)
      • Feedback! If you're unhappy etc. If you aren't happy and you're being forced or have to drag out the will to even type up a post then there's something maybe in the game rules that I need to work on. Feedback is important. Rules is what I mostly am looking at for feedback, though feedback of the scenario is ok too.

So basically everyone say if your in or out and give me feedback. I'm going to call the test of this ruleset(with rule modification) successful if there are no other issues.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I'm still here. I have absolutely nothing in my life to stop me from playing for the next two months. After that I'll be busier, but probably no busier than your standard person.

You cleared up Attack, which was a mental stumbling block for me. Depending on the game I'd worry about the rate of power growth with Prime, but it works fine for newborn cosmic powers. I also think time limits or set rounds within a refresh (Actions, Blocks, Responses, Blocks, DONE) might help prevent people from waiting for everyone else so they can gain an advantage. I'm not convinced that the four stats are perfect. Attack has mostly been fixed. Power has a clear purpose, but manifesting is this weird remnant that doesn't have much to do with blocks, in game terms is the same as Influence, and you have explicitly stated it will gently caress us over if we ever use it. So... don't know why it's even an option. I understand the tension, risk, and bluffing with point allocation makes things more tense, but Influence is fun for roleplaying and everything else is just metagame politics and mechanics. I think the real strength of the system isn't in the four stats, but in how Influence is spent and refreshed with the narrative and flavor being important for how many points you get back. I'd like to see a game with just Influence. You can't kill a god in combat, you have to strangle him by destroying domains. No one can block actions, blocking is boring. But you can spend influence in response to counter or soften or co-opt actions. Smiting happens with influence like any other action.

This has more to do with the game as a whole than the system, someone could use the allocation system without doing this, but sometimes I feel a bit blind when playing. Maybe that's intentional. The thing is, I was warned OOC that you don't want to give infodumps. But at the same time there are traps and stumbling blocks that if we don't ferret out might make a god look rather stupid. Before I did anything with Beld I asked what kind of government they had, and you answered "monarchy". A more informative answer might have been "formal monarchy with real power residing in a military-industrial upper class". If I had interrogated you about the weak answer, I would have been a dick for bugging you instead of just playing. But since I didn't interrogate you, I'm an idiot for just posting without further information and hoping it all works out. In a different kind of game using the same system the information issue wouldn't be a problem. I'd actually like to see some kind of "spy" mechanic where you have a limited number of questions but you get interesting and useful answers.

The cosmic suicide bomb effect with the pretenders feels a lot like a giant gently caress you since you have to spend a fortune to kill a pretender and they have no sense of self preservation to the point where literally half have dared gods to do it. If you don't do it you feel like a chump. If you do it, literally the worst possible result for that god seems to happen. I don't know if that was just an accident, but both deaths have resulted in some kind of cosmic irony that mechanically hurts everyone but in the flavor is anathema to the particular god that did it.

On a more positive note, I think it would be interesting to see this system in a "Big Gods" game where we have far more power but we slumber for epochs. Turns aren't one year, they're one awakening which might mean a hundred or even a thousand years. With this game I sometimes feel like I'm leading my poor followers by the nose, forcing more and more stuff on them every year. I think a neat game might have the gods sewing seeds and then seeing how they grow over long periods of time.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I'm still here. I have absolutely nothing in my life to stop me from playing for the next two months. After that I'll be busier, but probably no busier than your standard person.

Cool.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

prevent people from waiting for everyone else so they can gain an advantage.

Well the GM should be policing this. Also, divinity in addition to being a life stat helps determine who goes first. I could roll a D10 or something but at higher levels of power it might be useless.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Power has a clear purpose, but manifesting is this weird remnant that doesn't have much to do with blocks, in game terms is the same as Influence, and you have explicitly stated it will gently caress us over if we ever use it. So... don't know why it's even an option. I understand the tension, risk, and bluffing with point allocation makes things more tense, but Influence is fun for roleplaying and everything else is just metagame politics and mechanics.

Um...what? I'll admit that spending power to manifest can be changed. Probably removed. I have no idea how sending power to block anything would gently caress the players. You can pretty much do everything without manifesting, but essentially you guys needed to use influence for influencing mortals. Dreams, through profits, a burning talking bush. I'll take what you've said and think about it though.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I think the real strength of the system isn't in the four stats, but in how Influence is spent and refreshed with the narrative and flavor being important for how many points you get back. I'd like to see a game with just Influence.

You'd love PDQ godgames then. The ones that use action points are almost exactly like this.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

You can't kill a god in combat, you have to strangle him by destroying domains.

PDQ damage is taken to domains. Sometimes it was done with combat. In a few games someone attacking your domains with acts could damage them as well.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

No one can block actions, blocking is boring. But you can spend influence in response to counter or soften or co-opt actions. Smiting happens with influence like any other action.

I experimented once with no one being able to block. Players didn't feel godly. Also having someone undo your work was like playing two kids on a playground arguing. "Did not! Did so! Did not! Did so!!!" Players get extremely frustrated with this. In prime they can block or failing that soften the act.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

This has more to do with the game as a whole than the system, someone could use the allocation system without doing this, but sometimes I feel a bit blind when playing. Maybe that's intentional. The thing is, I was warned OOC that you don't want to give infodumps. But at the same time there are traps and stumbling blocks that if we don't ferret out might make a god look rather stupid. Before I did anything with Beld I asked what kind of government they had, and you answered "monarchy". A more informative answer might have been "formal monarchy with real power residing in a military-industrial upper class". If I had interrogated you about the weak answer, I would have been a dick for bugging you instead of just playing. But since I didn't interrogate you, I'm an idiot for just posting without further information and hoping it all works out.
But you didn't fail in Beld? Can you refresh my memory?

Mr. Prokosch posted:

The cosmic suicide bomb effect with the pretenders feels a lot like a giant gently caress you since you have to spend a fortune to kill a pretender and they have no sense of self preservation to the point where literally half have dared gods to do it. If you don't do it you feel like a chump. If you do it, literally the worst possible result for that god seems to happen. I don't know if that was just an accident, but both deaths have resulted in some kind of cosmic irony that mechanically hurts everyone but in the flavor is anathema to the particular god that did it.
None of this was a surprise or a secret. It was either clearly stated or deeply foreshadowed and hinted at. At multiple times and places. All death effects affected everyone really. They weren't tailored for anyone. As far as the fortune to kill them part: Being the GM and seeing the point distribution, it might cost a fair amount but not huge or nearly as much as you're exaggerating.
No one sent them to a hell dimension or beyond reality where they couldn't even come back from, yet. But I do see a few gods planning just such a thing which most likely will work.

In case anyone is confused: the pretenders are not wholely sane. They are broken at times cruel, others kind. But all are mad with power and have ruined the world every time they woke up. They're incurable assholes!

Mr. Prokosch posted:

On a more positive note, I think it would be interesting to see this system in a "Big Gods" game where we have far more power but we slumber for epochs. Turns aren't one year, they're one awakening which might mean a hundred or even a thousand years. With this game I sometimes feel like I'm leading my poor followers by the nose, forcing more and more stuff on them every year. I think a neat game might have the gods sewing seeds and then seeing how they grow over long periods of time.

Yeah maybe decades would be a better time frame. Give a forest time to grow etc.

You've given me a lot to think about. Thanks Mr. Prokosch"!

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 20, 2014

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

quote:

No one sent them to a hell dimension or beyond reality where they couldn't even come back from, yet. But I do see a few gods planning just such a thing which most likely will work.

That's because I've yet to have to take out a Pretender.

I'm in, just stuck in a work/sleep cycle.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yep, still in.

Also, :siren:DJ REDSCARE IN THE HOUSE!:siren:

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
I'm also very much still in.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I HAVE ASSUMED THE POSITION

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

No time to give full on feedback right now, but yeah, I'm still on board.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think I'm gonna have to bow out. Sorry guys. It's fun, but I'm just not feeling it enough to keep up with everyone.

Thanks for letting me run with you guys thus far, though!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Awwww, that's too bad Megane, I've been enjoying watching you so far. I guess I'll have some big shoes to fill :v:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

It's pretty clear what is necessary.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Ugh. Just wanted to give my apologies but I wanted to give people time to respond. However due to some things happening in my life that are out of my control I won't be able to actually update with the quality normally associated with my games. The game was really ramping up in the tension department and I was excited about you all finding the artifacts.

However I don't want to just abandon the game but instead will close it with all of you being informed. You've all rolled with the punches and played a great game with a ruleset that was pretty much being tested as you played under them.

I can make my ruleset available upon request(emailed to you) or you can take them from this recruitment post.

You all have been great thank you all! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Just when things were getting probably the most interesting they have ever been in a godgame for me.

• Locked thread