Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Since they also appeared around her head a couple times to mean the lost hearing/sight, I would assume so. I hope we get to see miss 21 fearies next episode, she did say they kept her in case a hero went rouge/berserk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Aw, poor Karin. :(

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Jesus wept

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Vegeta: Mankai is bullshit. :mad:

Still though, I wonder if they're going to go for some sort of third option ending where they manage to end the Vertex threat for good, because it sure as hell seems kinda pointless and they'll break through eventually to wipe us out. :(

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Togo Did Nothing Wrong.

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
Poor Karin... She just wanted to be a hero...

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah, poor Karin. :cry:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I feel horrible for laughing at that.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I just did a marathon up to the current episode, and this has to be one of the more heart-wrenching shows I've seen in a while. I knew Karin was going to sacrifice herself the moment she had a chance to, but the way it happened and the severity of it all just made the bottom fall out of my heart. I'm really amazed at the kinds of things Madoka has inspired in magical girl anime.

Speaking of which, is it too early to start asking if this movie can get the same kind of movie treatment that Madoka got? I can't think of another anime this year that deserves it more (maybe Chaika).

Also, if someone could explain to me where they're seeing the nationalism/WWII correlations in this show, I'd appreciate it, because I'm not seeing any of that, and all this talk of nationalism and revisionism is coming off as absurd to me.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Command Ant posted:

Also, if someone could explain to me where they're seeing the nationalism/WWII correlations in this show, I'd appreciate it, because I'm not seeing any of that, and all this talk of nationalism and revisionism is coming off as absurd to me.

Basically its because we're foreign and don't know any better. Its kind of how Prussian Militerism became taboo in Germany and German nationalism in general became the dog whistle for Nazism in WWII and people just sorta assume that because Japan didn't quite go through a similar process people assume any Japanese cultural expression is similar, an expression of historical revisionism of Japan's role in WWII.

Which is bollocks.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
I'm not sure if it's the suffering magical girls that are making me enjoy this show so much. I'm thinking it's because Yuki Yuna actually tells a cohesive story where the plot moves to an eventual conclusion; it feels like these days most shows are just 12 episode commercials for LNs or manga. The excellent characters and animation don't hurt, either. This is up there with Psycho-Pass S2 as my AOTS, which is definitely not something I thought I'd be saying at the start of this season.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

There actually is a LN, but instead of the anime being an advertisement for it they've instead been treating it more like a companion to the show, with the two playing off of one another as the last few chapters were timed to be released alongside the anime's run. It's been fun to follow, made some things hit much harder than they otherwise would have. Episode 8 for example.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That was a kinda My-HiME ending there.

The performance was okay so I'm not entirely disappointed.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The ending was alright. Quite an overlooked series, which is a shame because it definitely has its moments. It somehow is more haunting and meaningfully oppressive than Madoka ever was, this is a tad more subtle about the suffering.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So they went for a happy ending.
I think the fact that there was even serious doubt is sufficient reason to call this a top level series.
It absolutely is on my anime of the year list.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It definitely kept ya guessing, and knew how to do a good twist and handle it well. It's sad that this series will definitely not get the love it deserves.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Still a little confused why the god tree thing decided to let go of them in the end.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

A beautiful and toiching ending. Going for a happy end was the right choice. And I'm glad that the pacing also worked out in the end.

I'm also not sure how everything is supposed to work from now on. Even Sonoko seems to be able to heal now. And why are there no more attacks? Or are some other poor girls doing the sacrificing now?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

A beautiful and toiching ending. Going for a happy end was the right choice. And I'm glad that the pacing also worked out in the end.

I'm also not sure how everything is supposed to work from now on. Even Sonoko seems to be able to heal now. And why are there no more attacks? Or are some other poor girls doing the sacrificing now?
I interpret it so that the girls provocations have stopped the attacks temporarily, and in the future some other poor girls will have to sacrifice.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This show really needed a sombre ending, not a completely light-hearted one. If you're going to push a theme of "delaying the inevitable", then you'd better follow up on it with an actual heroic sacrifice buying a bit more time for the land.

On the other hand, they did punch a giant sun out, which probably puts to rest my misgivings about Japanese nationalism.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I recall reading once Urobuchi's misgivings in re: happy endings, and I think I now understand them. There's just too much outstanding that makes it difficult to accept this as happy. "They tried really hard, so the universe changed the way it works" makes sense in Gurren Lagann-type shows, but feels out of place here. Everything being great forever, at least for our heroines, feels like cheating. The earlier parts of the show had such a foreboding, ominous feel to them that just having Yuuna try hard, punch out a sun (admittedly awesome), and have every single one of their problems disappear almost gives mood whiplash.

It was nice seeing everyone happy, though.

Also, yes, I was definitely feeling a bit of the nationalism angle earlier, but the last few episodes have largely dispelled that, to the point that it no longer seems like a credible reading.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel like the author may have intended to deal the final blow at various points in the finale, but ultimately pulled the last punch since they or their editor might have felt it be too much. I would have legit cried if Yuna never recovered.

Are there plans for more parts or is it just the LN part and this part?

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
I can only best describe this ending as an "Happy enough" kind of ending. Humanity is still screwed and trapped in a tree barrier. The next generation of young girls will be next in line to fight/sacrificed for the greater good. All the main characters had to work through their 'injuries' until they were fine.

Unless they can pull a Gurren Lagann, Geta Robo Armageddon, or Madoka type ending I don't see a true happy ending ever happening.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It felt like it needed one more ep, just so the bit with Yuuna didn't feel rushed and/or cheap, plus more time to emphasize their rehabs.

Apart from that I liked it. Objectively it wasn't the best quality but it brought that sense of relief so it worked.

It really feels like they're planning for a sequel/alternate work with 3rd generation heroes.

(There was an interesting theory in /a/, lemme quote it:
Yuuna didn't have any petals on her when they were all lying in a circle after the fight.
Gyuuki wasn't shown disappearing.
Yuuna looked kind of funny when Tougou said the stuff about willpower.
Yuuna fainted during the school play.

This is what I think: Yuuna touching the Vertex soul with her bare hand while untransformed made something happen. She accidentally absorbed a piece of the Vertex, or she had a glimpse into the ways of the universe, or she just used so much power that it brought her very, very close to the holy tree, or all of the above. Whatever happened, she was suddenly in a position to ask the holy tree for things, and she said she wanted the sacrifices back, and for her friends to be freed from the hero system. But the tree still needed someone to protect it...so Yuuna offered herself. With only one extremely pure and possibly semi-godly person in charge of all Mankai, the need for handicaps went away completely. Everybody went home, and it took time, but they gradually recovered their health over a period of a few months.

She had to make sure that nobody ever knew what she was doing, but since the forestize stops time, all she had to do during the school play was ask the tree to put her back where she was after she was done fighting. Time stopped, she went to fight, she came back, and everyone just assumed she was still weak from her recovery.

Yuuna chose to fight alone. The fact that she was doing what she knew was right, defending her friends, was enough to outweigh the pain, the terror, and the isolation of being the only hero.

と言う妄想を語ってみた
)

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

I feel like the author may have intended to deal the final blow at various points in the finale, but ultimately pulled the last punch since they or their editor might have felt it be too much. I would have legit cried if Yuna never recovered.

Are there plans for more parts or is it just the LN part and this part?

There's a Vita game coming out in February. Sounds like alternate universe stuff, Tougou is still in a wheelchair, etc. You select a character to play through the story with. Mankais will be in it. Apparently they meet a mysterious new girl who doesn't seem to be a hero but who can move during forestization.

Sonoko, Wasshi~ and their unfortunate friend who was never mentioned once in the anime also appear in it. Might just be a little bonus thing or else they're going kind of nuts with the story.

Oh, and I guess if you want the -full experience- or whatever there was a little visual novel packaged with the first BD volume. It's mostly dumb fanservice fluff but there are a few bits of background for some of the characters. Karin having a very successful brother who works in Taisha for example. There's also a cute little 4koma series floating around about the hero club's exploits (translated) and another 4koma on the prequel LN's website which in some cases actually goes into explaining the setting a bit more (largely untranslated).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I recall reading once Urobuchi's misgivings in re: happy endings, and I think I now understand them. There's just too much outstanding that makes it difficult to accept this as happy. "They tried really hard, so the universe changed the way it works" makes sense in Gurren Lagann-type shows, but feels out of place here. Everything being great forever, at least for our heroines, feels like cheating. The earlier parts of the show had such a foreboding, ominous feel to them that just having Yuuna try hard, punch out a sun (admittedly awesome), and have every single one of their problems disappear almost gives mood whiplash..

I'm not sure what you'd have preferred. Granted, I stopped watching awhile ago because I got extremely bored with it, but if the whole show was just the "duh duh...duh duh...duhduhdudhudhDUHDUH" from Jaws and the finale was the metaphorical shark finally eating them, would that have been any better? I felt like the ominous stuff was building up to reveals, instead of just waiting for them to horribly die.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

WickedHate posted:

I'm not sure what you'd have preferred. Granted, I stopped watching awhile ago because I got extremely bored with it, but if the whole show was just the "duh duh...duh duh...duhduhdudhudhDUHDUH" from Jaws and the finale was the metaphorical shark finally eating them, would that have been any better? I felt like the ominous stuff was building up to reveals, instead of just waiting for them to horribly die.

I guess the show did too good a job at convincing me that the outlook was so dark that there was no real hope. The transition from despair to rainbows and sunshine was just so abrupt.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Kyte posted:

It felt like it needed one more ep, just so the bit with Yuuna didn't feel rushed and/or cheap, plus more time to emphasize their rehabs.

Apart from that I liked it. Objectively it wasn't the best quality but it brought that sense of relief so it worked.

It really feels like they're planning for a sequel/alternate work with 3rd generation heroes.

(There was an interesting theory in /a/, lemme quote it:
Yuuna didn't have any petals on her when they were all lying in a circle after the fight.
Gyuuki wasn't shown disappearing.
Yuuna looked kind of funny when Tougou said the stuff about willpower.
Yuuna fainted during the school play.

This is what I think: Yuuna touching the Vertex soul with her bare hand while untransformed made something happen. She accidentally absorbed a piece of the Vertex, or she had a glimpse into the ways of the universe, or she just used so much power that it brought her very, very close to the holy tree, or all of the above. Whatever happened, she was suddenly in a position to ask the holy tree for things, and she said she wanted the sacrifices back, and for her friends to be freed from the hero system. But the tree still needed someone to protect it...so Yuuna offered herself. With only one extremely pure and possibly semi-godly person in charge of all Mankai, the need for handicaps went away completely. Everybody went home, and it took time, but they gradually recovered their health over a period of a few months.

She had to make sure that nobody ever knew what she was doing, but since the forestize stops time, all she had to do during the school play was ask the tree to put her back where she was after she was done fighting. Time stopped, she went to fight, she came back, and everyone just assumed she was still weak from her recovery.

Yuuna chose to fight alone. The fact that she was doing what she knew was right, defending her friends, was enough to outweigh the pain, the terror, and the isolation of being the only hero.

と言う妄想を語ってみた
)

If you want to really start reaching there's also the idea kicking around that everything in the second half is the afterlife, I guess, and Yuuna was just the last one to arrive as it were. After the rest died in the last fight she went on without them, as narrated by Tougou. The pressed flowers she was holding were the ones that represented each of her friends. Everyone miraculously got better because, well, it's heaven. The prayer all the way back in ep 2 referred to Shinju as "the master of the afterlife."

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
I personally took the ending as a very similar one to Madoka's; "Holy poo poo, humans are dangerous. I'm not going to gently caress around with you guys anymore." - The Shinju, to Togo

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

quote:

That's kind of what I figured at the end. They do the whole Forestize sound effect, choppy animation then she's back in an exhausted state. She's *the* sacrifice now.She has the highest hero level after all.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kortel posted:

That's kind of what I figured at the end. They do the whole Forestize sound effect, choppy animation then she's back in an exhausted state. She's *the* sacrifice now.She has the highest hero level after all.

Oh that's some good poo poo right there. Seeming happy ending with a horribly grim and painful future for the main character? This show is good. The game looks alright too, that shot of Fu going up against that Vertex looks nice.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Oh... ohhhhh... poor Yuna. :(

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Well that interpretation certainly makes it less of a happy ending.

Getting what one asks for doesn't always make one happy, it seems.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

:iiam:

btw there's some sequel? LN starting up in Dengeki G's Magazine in the issue that will be out 1/30. Not convinced it isn't just a novelization of the anime (a "sequel" to the Washio LN which ran in the same magazine) but hey it'd be cool to be wrong.

e: or maybe it's not happening because they just edited that line off of the page

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 27, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The blu-rays are selling well above expectations, selling just bellow SAO. Wouldn't surprise me if they do decide to do a followup in some form.

Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost
Well, this was rather underwhelming ultimately. It took far too long to even get anywhere, and then most moments left me feeling that there was a more interesting alternative they did not take. It would have benefited from fewer, and more concisely written episodes up front, and a larger extension for development towards the end. And the ending needs some actual explanation after the exposition of the world. It doesn't have one.

Togo's switch back was also seriously cut short and really ultimately amounted to a hug and a punch and some talking about ~feelings~. This really should have been handled much better, as Togo becoming an antagonist was actually quite a nice idea. And I disagree with an earlier poster, an ending where Togo "wins" before changing her mind could have been a lot more interesting than this underexplained thing. But tragic endings have a way of reducing sales and turning people off.

I guess the show is ultimately okay, but could have been a lot better than it is. Though I suppose they were limited by the source material in what they could do. Maybe I should watch Madoka again.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Limited in the source material how? This is an original anime.

It did need one more ep tho.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Yeah, that last episode should have been two, but I'm fine with a happy ending. I would have liked more time spent on the fairies, too, maybe losing them might have meant something more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
So are you may or may have not heard about, YuYuYu is getting a sequel novel, called Sonoko After. Some preliminary details have surfaced:
Short summary.
In Sonoko After:
>Vetexes will come attacking again
>Sonoko transfers to Shansu and in the same class as the other 3.
>They found a solution for the outside world
>Sonoko's nicknames for Yuuna is YuuYuu, Itsuki→Ittsun, Tougou →Wasshi/Mimorin
>Hero's system gets updated
>Every girl can transform now except that they're weaker than the current heroes
>Taisha plans to reveal the truth to the public
>After seeing the Heroes' hard works, Shinju returned their offerings because it came to believes in human's strenght, that human has enough power to walk on
>The new Hero system is there for the entire humanity to stand up and live on together
>Sonoko calls Fuu "Club leader" and Karin "Nibosshi"
>Any girl can become Hero as long as they're pure
>The new Hero system doesn't have Sange but is weaker and there's no barrier.

The interview
>How Itsuki started to get along with the club when she just entered the school, Itsuki and Karin's bond (things that were cut out in ep9)
>Yuuna's dizziness
>How Taisha gathered information on the girls, how much their parents knew, how much they hid and how suffering they were
>Gods related stuffs
>Future of the franchise

Also pic:

Also, a list of pretty much everything YuYuYu: http://pastebin.com/4ZhpYy2Z

Kyte fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 29, 2015

• Locked thread