Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Emerald Rogue posted:

Voting for A. Void Ship, because swashbuckling in space owns. Like frajaq said, maybe Nikolai brought it along ... or maybe it's a Black Ship that Moro stole on his way to the Vortex! :getin:

My second pick is E. A Way Out - several of us have grudges with various Imperial institutions. Might be nice to have a secure backdoor to the object of our affections.

I'm in agreement with this. Hell, have the void ship still have legit credentials and it can be our way out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Werix posted:

I'm in agreement with this. Hell, have the void ship still have legit credentials and it can be our way out!

That works for me too.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
I'll go in for the above as well.

quote:

I thought the mechanicum hated the flesh and what-not. Maybe that's the reason she fled here to the Screaming Vortex, but she has cybernetics anyway. Can't quite make head or tails about this one.

Regarding this, I figured her 'dendrites (which are her only "obvious" cybernetics - the brain-computer's in her head, and the MIU's just some plugs) are linked to one of those huge harness-looking things that show up in like 10-15% of the Mechanicus art. Like this:

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 28, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alright, then! You begin the story with a Voidship, likely a clipper or scoutship (something so fast it's nearly impossible to catch but that can't subjugate a planet for you because it's nearly unarmed) or any other neat suggestions you have. I would suggest, perhaps, that Nikolai has provided the ship and crew, to explain why he's along in a party that mostly dislikes the idea of a fallen Noble. Maybe a mutinying naval scoutship that the Imperium doesn't know has mutinied, and has Nikolai posing as a proper noble captain?

The Way Out will let you leave freely, and easily infiltrate the Imperium. We might mitigate the Mutation rules some, perhaps through Lidia's intervention in character, to make it easier to slip in from time to time.

Next, where would you like your story to begin? I have a few ideas: One is a homebrew world I used in my last BC campaign, Nexus, a recently consumed Imperial world that was lost to the Vortex's growth and is still adjusting to becoming a raider stop and gateway to the Vortex. Otherwise, we could start out seeking support among the savage tribes of the Xurant, looking for ancient tech secrets in the Hollows, making the mistake of thinking Q'Sal is civilized and safe, looking for recruit cut-throats and curry favor among the pirate princes of the Ragged Helix or whatever other world excites you as an idea. Once I've got an idea of starting location, I'll get to work on stuff for you to do there and get the actual game thread up!

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Voting for Nexus as a starting point.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jolinaxas posted:

I'll go in for the above as well.

Regarding this, I figured her 'dendrites (which are her only "obvious" cybernetics - the brain-computer's in her head, and the MIU's just some plugs) are linked to one of those huge harness-looking things that show up in like 10-15% of the Mechanicus art. Like this:

More Mechadendrites is like, one of the central tenants of the Mechanicus. It's right up there with the rules on when a Dendrite-Bump is appropriate, such as when you and a fellow Secutor have just killed loads and loads of heretics against the machine god, and rules on how to properly transmit prayers so the Omnissiah can receive the frequency.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Voting for Q'Sal because it is a great place that will teach us to be careful when dealing with insane people. Also I ran a BC game there once

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Fexildor would be all about them ancient Archeotech secrets. OOC choice would probably be Nexus though, as most other places we'd likely be killed and/or worse. Especially since we have a voidship and only a few of us to defend it.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Yeah. Nexus sounds good. Lidia's true goal is the Hollows, but I think I'd prefer that as a destination, rather than our starting point.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I also wanted to ask, would people prefer I stick to the normal Gods and setting, or add in homewritten elements like Malal, God of Truth (albeit he would still be very new and relatively weak, more a source of chaos in chaos than an alignment you could choose, etc) or the Void Jackals (Female Red Corsairs, basically, active in the region and remnants of one of the Traitor Legions; their Primarch was one of the 'lost' ones)? I figured I'd ask here before we begin rather than foisting ~my fanfictions~ on players, especially as the Vortex is already a pretty rockin' setting.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
I'm fine with either "official" canon or headcanon, doesn't matter to me.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Seems the consensus it the Nexus, though I think Kurse would be cool, like trying to recruit from/being forced into the arenas.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I forgot about Kurse. Kurse is also a totally cool place.

The Vortex is just full of cool places.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
If by cool, you mean "horrible places that will kill you dead", sure. But Nexus seems like a good place to start. As for canon/not canon, it doesn't really matter too much to me.

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
You can't possibly make 40K any dumber that it already is. I mean affectionately. Add all the weird noncanon stuff you like.

Let's go to all the cool/deadly places. Travelogue 40K.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Really, it mostly just means there are murderous giant lady pirates in heavy armor running around the Vortex along with all the other murderous giant pirates/bandits in heavy armor and that Chaos is in a bit of a state of Chaos because a 5th God is establishing himself and causing rebellions among the menial classes of the Vortex, which when I think of it is something quite a few of these PCs would be well positioned to gain a great deal of power from anyway so that's not a bad idea to have as 'thing that's going on in the background'.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'd rather we kept going with classic Screaming Vortex but i'm probably in the minority here so its no biggie

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Frankly i never got the whole Malial thing and think the concept is kind of stupid, but I don't give enough of a poo poo to really get upset if you want to add another group of people for us to kill.

I give no shits if you want your special brand of female Astartes or whatever, they'll die just the same as the regular ones. :getin:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, yeah; there's nothing funnier than Astartes, especially CSMs, getting shot in the face by humans. The best quote in the BC rulebook is the idiot CSM bragging about how invincible he is approximately 6 seconds before he's hit in the face with a plasma gun.

From the consensus I'm getting, I'll just focus on the normal Vortex. Plenty to do there and no reason to use elements people aren't terribly enthused about. We'll be fluffing your Voidship as a Viper scout craft, assumed to be on long range patrol by the Imperium and thus expected to be missing for months or years at a time, unassuming enough to show up in port just about anywhere, and fast enough to run from people and run blockades.

I'll have the thread up within a couple days.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 30, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Game thread is finally up! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3698950

Let me know if we need more guidance, etc, and some poo poo Will Happen.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 4, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I could not resist a crack at the fact that most Chaos stuff is just Imperial stuff with the eagles replaced with spikes.

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
I noticed!

You have been freed from physics as well as Imperial building codes, heretics! Show some creativity. :colbert:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, it also gets across these guys are kinda wannabes. Imagine Michael speaking like a cross between Cobra Commander and the Cultist from DoW I.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nikolai, at least, can probably recognize this situation: Something's gone wrong that every local might blame you for, so your best bet is someone no-one knows a goddamn thing about.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Apologize for not responding today to anyone, I had a nasty attack of vertigo that's only now really fully faded and it made writing hard.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm sorry, taking a long break from running a PBP has pretty much showed me I'm a lot happier not running one. The format just doesn't work for me, as player or GM, and I have a regular IRL group that I'd prefer to focus on. I apologize, but I don't think I'll be running a PBP again, nor playing in them. The format just isn't fun and it *especially* doesn't work for 40kRP particularly well (I'm sure it handles lighter stuff with a stronger fiction focus like Monsterhearts much better).

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I hate to see you go, and I urge you to reconsider. I really like where this game could be heading. I particularly like the angle of a bunch of folks new to Chaos sort of finding their way around it.

That said, I would consider taking the game over if the other players, and most importantly Night10194, consent to it. It would mean the gruesome death of space Jimmy Hoffa, since I ain't going to do any GM-PC poo poo. Please indicate if you would like me to take it over. Night is the final arbiter, if he says no, then out of respect for his project, I won't.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The main problem is, I keep looking at my notes and seeing "And then combat might happen." and remembering it's a PBP, which...well, combat in a PBP. Give me a couple days to think and put together some of my notes, if you really are interested in taking over.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Id be more interested in you continuing the game, but the second best would be to not let it die. I understand not wanting to do pbp combat, but don't let it ruin the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Like I said, I will think on it. Part of the reason I cancelled both with the same message is I didn't want to feel like I was favoring one campaign over another or dropping the poor Sisters for the crazy heretics.

• Locked thread