Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulvir

planning on doing umberto eco next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther
some1 read The Man without Qualities

dogcrash truther
some1 read "The Book of Disquet"

dogcrash truther
Walter Benjamin's Arcades Project is available as a pdf here: http://monoskop.org/images/e/e4/Benjamin_Walter_The_Arcades_Project.pdf

some1 should read it

dogcrash truther

quote:

The interior is not just the universe of the private individual; it is also his etui. Ever since the time of Louis Philippe, the bourgeois has shown a tendency to compensate for the absence of any trace of private life in the big city. He tries to do this within the four walls of his apartment. It is as if he had made it a point of honor not to allow the traces of his everyday objects and accessories to get lost. Indefatigably, he takes the impression of a host of objects; for his slippers and his watches, his blankets and his umbrellas, he devises coverlets and cases. He has a marked preference for velour and plush, which preserve the imprint of all contact. In the style characteristic of the Second Empire, the apartment becomes a sort of cockpit. The traces of its inhabitant are molded into the interior. Here is the origin of the detective story, which inquires into these traces and follows these tracks. Poe-with his "Philosophy of Furniture" and with his "new detectives"- becomes the first physiognomist of the domestic interior. The crinlinals in early detective fiction are neither gendemen nor apaches, but simple private citizens of the middle class ("The Black Cat;' "The Tell-Tale Heart;' "William Wilson").

good poo poo

dogcrash truther

quote:

People associated the "genius of the Jacobins with the genius of the industrials;'but they also attributed to Louis Philippe the saying: "God be praised, and my shops too." The arcades as temples of commodity capital.

dogcrash truther

quote:

Each generation experiences the fashions of the one immediately preceding it as the most radical antiaphrodisiac imaginable. In this judgment it is not so far off the mark as might be supposed. Every fashion is to some extent a bitter satire on love; in every fashion, perversities are suggested by the most ruthless means. Every fashion stands in opposition to the organic. Every fashion couples the living body to the inorganic world. To the living, fashion defends the rights of the corpse. The fetishism that succumbs to the sex appeal of the inorganic is its vital nerve.

inSTAALed

MOP

n'

SLOP
extremely my poo poo

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
someone recommend me mountaineering books

ulvir

dogcrash truther posted:

read it last year. it was quite captivating

alnilam

ulvir posted:

I've started this year pretty simple. read the first two murakami books and are now reading on the beach

Isn't it a little cold in norway, for the beach?

deep dish peat moss

I go to the used bookstore and buy philosophy books with peoples' notes in the margins ... I get a deeper understanding when I can read from two authors on the same subject.

ulvir

alnilam posted:

lol

inSTAALed

MOP

n'

SLOP

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I go to the used bookstore and buy philosophy books with peoples' notes in the margins ... I get a deeper understanding when I can read from two authors on the same subject.

post examples please

ulvir

alnilam posted:

you're absolutely right tho. this it what it looks like around here in the capital (taken today while cross-country skiing)

deep dish peat moss

inSTAALed posted:

post examples please

deep dish peat moss

This is basically the last note in the margins, toward the end of Book I of the Critique of Judgment. They never got in to Book II. What an odd place to stop. Right when it's getting wet

dogcrash truther

quote:

The mighty seek to secure their position with blood (police), with cunning (fashion), with magic (pomp).

pomp

bog pixie

dogcrash truther posted:

some1 read The Man without Qualities

dogcrash truther posted:

ill read these after i finish 1Q84

ulvir

the book of disquiet is real ly good. if someone ever asks me "what's having sadrbains like?" I'm just going to tell them to peep my homie pessoa's book of disquiet

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
the bell jar

A Tin Of Beans

"annihilation" by jeff vandermeer is dumb horror claptrap and im enjoying it

inSTAALed

MOP

n'

SLOP
i am reading city of endless night m. m. hastings and it is okay

it is old and thus free

the unabonger
Currently reading only the ball was white. its very good.

bacalou

currently working through the antichrist by nietzche

ulvir

I just read this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/10049454/Dont-make-fun-of-renowned-Dan-Brown.html

pogi

Im halfway thriugh the windup bird chronicle and the main character has dreamed about getting a blowjob twice, I highly recommend this book

alnilam

I know it's a little overdone / "hipster cred" or whatever but is zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance good? Esp if i ride a motorcycle irl

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Brillo_Pad posted:

someone recommend me mountaineering books

idk if it counts, but if you haven't read Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air, you're missing out bigtime. poo poo is intense.

Yesterday I spent a couple hours in the university library, and read part of Chekov's "The Duel" while I was there. I couldn't finish it because I don't have borrowing privileges there, but I'm having a poo poo day so I might go out and see if I can find it in any collections at the public libraries this afternoon. It was really good, I don't know why I haven't read his work before.

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

alnilam posted:

I know it's a little overdone / "hipster cred" or whatever but is zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance good? Esp if i ride a motorcycle irl

really overwrought and pretty bad imo.

meteloides posted:

idk if it counts, but if you haven't read Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air, you're missing out bigtime. poo poo is intense.

Yesterday I spent a couple hours in the university library, and read part of Chekov's "The Duel" while I was there. I couldn't finish it because I don't have borrowing privileges there, but I'm having a poo poo day so I might go out and see if I can find it in any collections at the public libraries this afternoon. It was really good, I don't know why I haven't read his work before.

thanks! into thin air was one of the first books I read. I've alos read no way down, buried in the sky, and a book about the history of women climbing K2 that wasn't that great.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Brillo_Pad posted:

thanks! into thin air was one of the first books I read. I've alos read no way down, buried in the sky, and a book about the history of women climbing K2 that wasn't that great.

yeah, I tried really hard to get into the one about women climbing K2 and just couldn't. it was just not interestingly written at all, which is a drat shame, because the subject deserves better.

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
im glad I'm not the only one. the subject has lots of potential but I found myself having to re-read sentences really often because I couldn't parse them.

reading k2: triumph and tragedy now which is about the 1986 climbing disasters. it's much better.

Cyber Dog

Funnypost Collabo posted:

This is basically the last note in the margins, toward the end of Book I of the Critique of Judgment. They never got in to Book II. What an odd place to stop. Right when it's getting wet

lol this is dope

Cyber Dog

gunna b reading the violent bear it away and the genealogy of morality in the next few weeks...should b an interesting combo

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
I dont read much but ive been into audio books cause all of the drives are lonh drives where i live. Although my special lady got me the ultimate hitchhikers guide to the galaxy for christmas so ive been reading a couple chapters before bed, but ive read that series a million times

inSTAALed

MOP

n'

SLOP
three cups of tea is about mountains sort of from what i remember idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inSTAALed

MOP

n'

SLOP
i think next i will read the war of the worlds