Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

strangehamster posted:

I got a $2000 estimate to change the front struts/alignment on my Grand Caravan. Can I do it much cheaper if I buy parts from Rock Auto and spend a weekend in my garage? I have intermediate mechanical skills.

The struts are probably pretty straightforward. Be advised that suspension components tend to use larger fasteners and are more likely to be rusted / a real pain in the rear end unless you have big wrenches or an impact. Look up instructions / videos to see if you need to buy/rent/borrow any specialized tools.

Alignment is best left to the professionals, and is necessary basically whenever you make changes to your suspension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

did you get that $2k estimate from a dealership, because if so, don't do that, check at an indepdendent mechanic

also please be very careful about dealing with compressed springs. They have enormous amounts of energy. There are special tools for compressing springs that you can maybe rent or get at harbor freight or w/e if you need to do that. You might not.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

strangehamster posted:

I got a $2000 estimate to change the front struts/alignment on my Grand Caravan. Can I do it much cheaper if I buy parts from Rock Auto and spend a weekend in my garage? I have intermediate mechanical skills.

Yes.

But poo poo can go sideways real quick with a broken bolt.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you buy preloaded strut spring combos (I think they call them quick struts on rockauto) it should eliminate most of the pain and risk, you'll want a pro alignment though. Should be about 150 bucks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
On RockAuto I think they are called "Shock / Strut & Coil Spring Assembly" but yeah that will save you some time and risk. Doesn't do anything about the rust, though.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

My guy at Midas quoted me about 800 parts 800 labor 200 alignment. I’m going to ask a friend if they’re up for it, thank you all :D

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 26, 2024

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kastein posted:

If you buy preloaded strut spring combos (I think they call them quick struts on rockauto) it should eliminate most of the pain and risk, you'll want a pro alignment though. Should be about 150 bucks.

Should op also consider replacing the strut bearings or does Chrysler use bushings or some poo poo? I'd be relaxing the bearings with the rest of this is I was doing my struts.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

strangehamster posted:

My guy at Midas quoted me about 800 parts 800 labor 200 alignment, I’m going to ask a friend if they’re up for it. Is anyone from the Des Moines metro?

I just paid 800 cdn dollars for 4 quick struts for my corolla from rock auto.. That includes shipping. I know there's a difference in price/ currency for different parts and all that, but it seems a bit high if it's just the fronts.

Labor, if they're buying parts separately and putting them together, doesn't seem unreasonable. It's probably 5-6 hours work and lots of places are charging over 100 per hour these days.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Please beat some sense into me. I get fairly frequent alignments and I hate relying on a shop. I watched a youtube video about this tool and it looks like it works pretty well. Am I crazy for wanting to spend $120 on this?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

You need a good floor jack, jackstands, a breaker bar, a ratchet (both in 1/2" drive), an extension or two, a handful of wooden blocks, and maybe some penetrating oil to do full strut replacements. Do swaybar links at the same time. Like wesleywillis, I did all that on a Matrix/Corolla for maybe $500 USD a couple years ago over two days, maybe total of 6 hours of work going slow.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes.

But poo poo can go sideways real quick with a broken bolt.

This is why I have developed a new habit where I just buy new bolts when doing anything suspension-wise. Having a spare handy when poo poo goes sideways is nice and fitting new hardware means you then give the stuff a fighting chance of being aligned properly and holding it afterwards. It's a bit more cash but certainly less than a $2000 charge!

Oh and it took me far too long to incorporate using heat when disassembling things, very stupid of me. A good penetrating fluid is a no-brainer.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

two_beer_bishes posted:

Please beat some sense into me. I get fairly frequent alignments and I hate relying on a shop. I watched a youtube video about this tool and it looks like it works pretty well. Am I crazy for wanting to spend $120 on this?

Those are great for race car alignments at the track. They're not great if you want your tires to last 50k miles.

Your toe will be good to maybe 1/32 of a inch.

How frequently are you getting alignments?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

honda whisperer posted:

Those are great for race car alignments at the track. They're not great if you want your tires to last 50k miles.

Your toe will be good to maybe 1/32 of a inch.

How frequently are you getting alignments?

My wife's car and the truck, every 6mo or so because of the lovely roads here. Sounds like I should keep bringing those to the shop. I just put coilovers on my BRZ that gets driven about 3000 miles a year and tire life isn't ever a concern since they age out before I hit any tread limits. Plus the Satellite race car I'm working on probably needs an alignment but I don't see myself ever bringing that to a shop.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Every 6 months I'd look for a shop that offers lifetime alignments when you get tires installed.

If you're doing race car and BRZ stuff I'd look into string gauges or hub stands. Then your problem becomes having a level enough floor for repeatable results.

Jegs and summit have toe plates for the same price as Amazon and I'd trust them more.

Paco motors is selling hub stands for $900 through flying Miata. They're fantastic for the money. I'd use the stands for home adjustment and take toe plates for track repairs and adjustments.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I need to replace the rear view mirror in a 2011 Honda Civic. Do I need OEM parts, or is third-party good? And what’s a good marketplace for Honda parts (Google isn’t very helpful)?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'd try a junkyard first, that part probably fits 10 years of every Honda model on the market and 13 years old is easily old enough for there to be plenty of them in the local pick n pull.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Wing mirror or interior mirror?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Interior, i.e. windshield. There’s a used auto parts place nearby so I could hit that up and try my luck!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

If there’s not any wires going to it (for map lights or thermometer or whatever else) you can just glue whichever rearview mirror you want in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

there's also like loads of aftermarket "better" rear view mirrors from catalogs and poo poo yeah

ultrawides and panoramics and so on

and "universal" for any car