Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
skyrim uses parallax sometimes but what i'm talking about is when they dont bother to do that and just use a uniform texture. those pics aren't really me going "wow this is the perfect example" it's more me being surprised by how much they're getting out of a texture.

anything that's on the ground in skyrim is manually placed, and the roads look like they're just painted on textures. the engine cannot handle parallaxing that's not on walls

stuff like the platform on the right and the arrow slits in guard walls are good examples of them not able to do anything but put in a flat texture without breaking stuff

this is also an example of Bad

skyrim does a lot to try to get around how many limitations their engine has though and i have to give them some respect for managing to get so much out of an engine that can barely handle the concept of multiple cores

Oblivion doesn't even have anything like parallax, the most it gets is primitive bump mapping like i think doom 3 has

edit:

this is it being used in skyrim and i feel like it's gaining definition but losing quality, and everything looks darker because it's having to run so many more shadows which is probably also bogging the framerate down

i don't remember if this wall is a flat texture or not

i am spending too much time thinking about graphics effects + technology tricks

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
why are you denying that oblivion has parallax mapping Doctor Goat

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
yeah, you're right, actually. there's a de-parallaxer mod for oblivion

both it and skyrim can use them some and there's an ENB that fixes the limitation on ground textures

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
yeah. on topic q2 had 3d vertex animated explosions as you can see in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L66vRF5VOVM

thye hosed up the interpolation between frames so it looked jittery and bad

did u know thatt id tech 3 didnt actually have skeletal animation and other devs had to hac k it in based on some leftover code. that was a year after hl came out

loga mira fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 10, 2015

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

daaaamn

that is a flat texture

i had never heard of parallax occlusion mapping until now

this is someone using it in minecraft

i dont know what this is!!!!

:pcgaming:

TECHNOLOGY

That mine craft looks like complete poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oblivion and Skyrim look like poo poo from my anoos.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

loga mira posted:

yeah. on topic q2 had 3d vertex animated explosions as you can see in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L66vRF5VOVM

thye hosed up the interpolation between frames so it looked jittery and bad

did u know thatt id tech 3 didnt actually have skeletal animation and other devs had to hac k it in based on some leftover code. that was a year after hl came out

3d non particle explosions are cool.
Like in AvP where they mould to the environment.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Red Faction
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Red Faction: Armageddon

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Crysis

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
red faction has cool technology. the way the red faction 1 explosions work is by creating negative objects

if there's a trash can ingame it's actually a trash can with a big rectangle embedded in it, and the game is set to make the big rectangle something objects can travel through that's invisible as I understand it. shooting a rocket at something is just making big squares of that material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
red faction owns and im upset that it died with THQ so far.

• Locked thread